Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 15:35   #3526
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
I was planning for XMA as well. But I will sorely miss the Rear AC vents or atleast blowers. Will tata service people be able to do it? I know a local mod shop that can do it. Will the warranty will be void for any electrical changes done outside the service centers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The ASC will never do this change. You'll need to get it done from outside. I have N-E-V-E-R heard of a scenario where TASC has rejected warranty for electric mods. They tend to be the most lenient when it comes to accommodating modifications in cars during warranty claims. It also comes down to how well you build your relationship with the service team. One needs to nurture it well.
(Both of my Tata cars have seen so many mods that its hard to find original stuff in them . But I never had warranty claim issues so far.)
I am not sure if it depends on the dealer or the company as a whole but when I enquired from my dealership regarding electrical changes in my yet to be delivered Nexon, I was simply told that the warranty will be null and void in case of any electrical changes done by an external vendor. The same response I have received from 3 different dealerships in Bangalore. The inquiry was regarding an external infotainment system and rear AC vents for my XMA (S) variant.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2020 at 16:00. Reason: Fixing quote tags, please user preview before posting. Thanks.
Varun_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 15:51   #3527
BHPian

Quote:
If rear parking camera is the only reason for XZ - I recommend to better go for XMA. Yes, installing a camera with view inside the IRVM is a very easy job and really any good accessories store will also do this installation. Not necessary to get it done frlm the dealership. Check with reputed stores near your place and get quote. If its cheaper than 7k (certainly will be), better get it done from them
^^Very good suggestion, get the XMA, the only thing you will miss is the stearing mounted controls.
As suggested by you, get aftermarket reversing camera, I've got one in my 2016 Nano XTA from Amazon for about 2.5k and got it fixed by my FN accessories shop for 200 bucks.
Quote:
I can comment only about this 1 quoted item. The primary rule to follow with AMT (honestly with all transmissions) - is to shift to N when idling whenever possible.

Its exactly like waiting in traffic while in gear and keeping the clutch disengaged in a manual transmission car. The AMT applies energy to keep the clutch engaged / partially engaged for creep when in drive modes. So yes it will be working and generating usual heat associated with it. No - it does not over-heat like DCT units generally. But if you don't shift to N - it will keep the clutch engaged when it shouldn't be, and will cause excess wear on the clutch also. So while there is no overheating risk - always shift to neutral if you are going to be stationary for more than 5 seconds.
^^What a correct way to explain about the usage of all kinds of gearbox in general.

@Reinhard, by the way are you in the teaching profession?
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:44   #3528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
I was simply told that the warranty will be null and void in case of any electrical changes done by an external vendor. The same response I have received from 3 different dealerships in Bangalore. The inquiry was regarding an external infotainment system and rear AC vents for my XMA (S) variant.
Thats typical sales tactics in all showrooms across brands. Don't worry much. The service teams don't bother much. Also - I presume you checked about an Android touch screen head unit for the infotainment. Those come with plug & play connectors. Not even wire splicing is involved. The entire change is 100% reversible. So in case of a warranty claim - you can infact revert to stock setup also if they create issues. 30 minute job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
As suggested by you, get aftermarket reversing camera, I've got one in my 2016 Nano XTA from Amazon for about 2.5k and got it fixed by my FN accessories shop for 200 bucks.
Its quite easy in fact. I did this installation myself (but hooked it up to the Android head unit instead of new IRVM) in my Alto K10 when I did a complete revamp of the car's ICE setup. If interested - here is how its done -
(Part of the entire ICE upgrade DIY thread.)
Link - Reversing view camera installation DIY. (DIY - ICE ICE Baby! Audio System Revamp in my Alto K10)

The process is same for any car really, including the Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
@Reinhard, by the way are you in the teaching profession?
I wish. I like & respect that profession a lot. Not lucky enough though. I'm just another non-descript "resource" in the crowd of "IT Professionals".

Why the question if I may ask? If an old local Marathi stereotype is anything to go buy - 'i tell extremely incorrect information with extremely high confidence' - thus I'm a teacher.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:11   #3529
PSG

Quote:
I can comment only about this 1 quoted item. The primary rule to follow with AMT (honestly with all transmissions) - is to shift to N when idling whenever possible.
I completely agree. I have been driving Tata Zest XMA for last 1 year ( approx. 2.5K km). Couple of times "AMT Transmission failure" sign appeared on instrument cluster while driving in heavy traffic. I did not know about shifting to neutral earlier. I learnt about this practice of shifting to N while idling for more than 5 seconds , practicing it for last few months and absolutely no issues.

OT: Please also read on how to engage gear while parking AMT vehicles rather than just relying on handbrake.
PSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:28   #3530
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon - XMA(S) Accessories

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Team BHP.
====
8. Car Parcel Tray

Would love a few opinions and guidance on the above query. Thank you in advance!
Old 29th December 2020, 18:52   #3531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Team BHP. I have recently booked a Tata Nexon XMA (S) - Petrol variant.
Welcome to TBHP Varun. Congratulations on your upcoming car! Best wishes.
Quote:
1. Harman Infotainment (40k)
2. Reverse Camera
Get an Android head unit with reversing camera. Together including installation it should fit around 15-20k INR max. Much cheaper & generally better than the XZ+ touchscreen on most aspects.
Quote:
3. Bumper Protector
Get it from Amazon.in & install it yourself. Select the correct one for 2020 Nexon.
Quote:
4. Fog Lights
If you want real illumination - get HID projector setup done. You'll find plenty threads / posts about this on TBHP. If you want them just for the sake of it - you can get the OEM part installed at the dealership. IMHO - its not worth the price as such considering it costs almost the same as HID Projector setup.
Quote:
5. Car Seat Cover
I have next to 0 information on this. This is something near impossible as a DIY. So I stick with stock fabric seat covers till they die.
Quote:
6. Mud Flaps
Get it from the dealership. OEM accessory is good quality.
Quote:
7. Floor Mat
Get 7D floor mats with removable noodle mats. If you want, I can connect you with a manufacturer in NCR. (He ships anywhere in India.)
Quote:
8. Car Parcel Tray
You can procure the OEM XZ+ parcel shelf from TASC spares store. For reference - here is the part and cost - Link : Boodmo.com Nexon XZ+ OEM parcel shelf
Alternatively - you can get an MDF board shelf with felt lining from accessory stores.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th December 2020 at 19:15.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:14   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
The inquiry was regarding an external infotainment system and rear AC vents for my XMA (S) variant.
I feel you're overthinking about the rear AC vents, especially considering the city you're located at. I've never felt the need for rear vents in scorching heat of Jaipur, RJ and none of my family members have complained about the effectiveness of air conditioning or the lack of rear vents. Nexon does a good job of cooling the cabin quickly.

If you ask me, I hate the idea of connected cars where someone can pre-cool the cabin before getting into it. One should avoid sudden change of temperature since it affects the body. As a practice, I always turn off AC a couple of minutes before I make my stop to avoid sudden change in temperature. The number of useless features in current vehicles is more than the number of valves in their engines.

Last edited by k.sumit : 29th December 2020 at 19:31.
k.sumit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:08   #3533
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to TBHP Varun. Congratulations on your upcoming car! Best wishes.

Get an Android head unit with reversing camera. Together including installation it should fit around 15-20k INR max. Much cheaper & generally better than the XZ+ touchscreen on most aspects.

Get it from Amazon.in & install it yourself. Select the correct one for 2020 Nexon.

If you want real illumination - get HID projector setup done. You'll find plenty threads / posts about this on TBHP. If you want them just for the sake of it - you can get the OEM part installed at the dealership. IMHO - its not worth the price as such considering it costs almost the same as HID Projector setup.

I have next to 0 information on this. This is something near impossible as a DIY. So I stick with stock fabric seat covers till they die.

Get it from the dealership. OEM accessory is good quality.

Get 7D floor mats with removable noodle mats. If you want, I can connect you with a manufacturer in NCR. (He ships anywhere in India.)

You can procure the OEM XZ+ parcel shelf from TASC spares store. For reference - here is the part and cost - Link : Boodmo.com Nexon XZ+ OEM parcel shelf
Alternatively - you can get an MDF board shelf with felt lining from accessory stores.
This is amazing information! Thanks a ton for detailing it out

Regarding the Android Head Unit, the dealer is offering Pioneer, Blaupunkt and latest addition - Harman. I have heard horrible reviews regarding Blaupunkt so that's out. Between Pioneer and Harman, I am leaning towards Harman since that is being offered directly from the company. Though it's on the expensive end, it should offer a near stock seamless experience especially with Android Auto.

HID projector setup is a good suggestion. Will check out with an external vendor and then choose the right one. Would avoid DIY at the moment since it's my first car

The parcel tray is available for 2k at the dealership which is a better price and quality compared to other vendors so that's a no brainer for me.

For seat covers, 7D mats, I will again have to check with a local dealer and get it fitted. If anyone has any references in Bangalore, would be really helpful!

Apart from these, is there something else which should be fitted in the car or is an absolute must? Also, does investing in Alloy Wheels make sense or the stock tires with wheel cover is good enough?
Old 29th December 2020, 20:16   #3534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
I feel you're overthinking about the rear AC vents, especially considering the city you're located at. I've never felt the need for rear vents in scorching heat of Jaipur, RJ and none of my family members have complained about the effectiveness of air conditioning or the lack of rear vents. Nexon does a good job of cooling the cabin quickly.

If you ask me, I hate the idea of connected cars where someone can pre-cool the cabin before getting into it. One should avoid sudden change of temperature since it affects the body. As a practice, I always turn off AC a couple of minutes before I make my stop to avoid sudden change in temperature. The number of useless features in current vehicles is more than the number of valves in their engines.
Thanks Sumit. That's a relief! I thought missing out on rear AC vents was a big disadvantage but your post cleared that out for me.

I agree on the number of growing useless features in a modern day car but I also believe those useless features have become the biggest USP of some of the latest entrants in the sub 4m compact SUV market.
Old 29th December 2020, 21:03   #3535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from these, is there something else which should be fitted in the car or is an absolute must? Also, does investing in Alloy Wheels make sense or the stock tires with wheel cover is good enough?
Goes to show how messed up the OTR pricing & taxes in BLR are. Any other place than BLR - it would have been better to let go of the sun-roof but to get an XZA+. The price difference would be more than justified by the useful features one gets on the XZ+/XZA+ - including the much valuable rear wash+wipe.

But no, in BLR - it makes sense to opt for the XMA-S, and spend further 1 lakh rupees on accessories including overpriced infotainment, bling value alloy wheels. And yet - you'll still save 100 thousand rupees further for fuel!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:36   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Goes to show how messed up the OTR pricing & taxes in BLR are. Any other place than BLR - it would have been better to let go of the sun-roof but to get an XZA+. The price difference would be more than justified by the useful features one gets on the XZ+/XZA+ - including the much valuable rear wash+wipe.

But no, in BLR - it makes sense to opt for the XMA-S, and spend further 1 lakh rupees on accessories including overpriced infotainment, bling value alloy wheels. And yet - you'll still save 100 thousand rupees further for fuel!
I totally agree. RTO taxes are so messed up in Bangalore that you have to downgrade a variant or two to fit your budget. On a comparative note, it's 10% more than my home state - Rajasthan.

Btw, I wasn't clear on your views on fitment of alloy wheels? Are they really required or it can be skipped for now saving me almost 40k. Further, I don't think you can get rear wipers installed anywhere right?
Old 30th December 2020, 10:56   #3537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, I wasn't clear on your views on fitment of alloy wheels? Are they really required or it can be skipped for now saving me almost 40k. Further, I don't think you can get rear wipers installed anywhere right?
Well I didn't comment on it because its a pure personal choice. If I were shopping - I would never be able to convince myself to spend so much for just wheels. Steel wheels with good caps are good enough for me always. From a real world usage perspective - pressed steel wheels are absolutely fine. Alloys are not needed.

No - the rear wash+wipe cannot be installed easily. Nobody generally will install it even for a price. DIY is too complicated. This is the SINGLE feature for which I purchased an XZ+ instead of an XM. If it could be retrofitted OR came from factory on an XM - I'd have bought an XM myself. I cannot live without rear glass wipe in a hatchback given the muddy roads and plenty rains in my area.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th December 2020 at 11:08.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:23   #3538
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For seat covers, 7D mats, I will again have to check with a local dealer and get it fitted. If anyone has any references in Bangalore, would be really helpful!
Search for "Autofiit 3d seat mats" on facebook. You'll get a number. Contact the guy as he's based out of bangalore. Found the product VFM. They have mats (1D to 7D) in the range of INR 650 to 2,800/-.

Just telling you to contact them directly because an accessory shop was asking INR 5,500/- for the set I got for INR 1,900/-.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:16   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Search for "Autofiit 3d seat mats" on facebook. You'll get a number. Contact the guy as he's based out of bangalore. Found the product VFM. They have mats (1D to 7D) in the range of INR 650 to 2,800/-.

Just telling you to contact them directly because an accessory shop was asking INR 5,500/- for the set I got for INR 1,900/-.
Great! Will contact them and check the price. Any sources for seat covers and other small accessories?
Old 30th December 2020, 14:09   #3540
BHPian

We all must be aware that Nexon is coming up with a DCT version somewhere in the first half of 2021. Does it make sense to wait for it and postpone my XMA (S) booking for the same?

A few Pros of DCT which I know:
1. Non jerky performance
2. Better technology
3. Seamless driving experience

A few Cons of DCT might be:
1. Lower Mileage
2. Higher cost
3. Higher maintenance

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-nexon-...-12388050.html

Let me know your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-2021tatanexonturbopetroldctautomaticspied1600x338.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks