Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2023, 15:37   #7831
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I had a bitter experience with United Mahindra in Faridabad. I had almost taken delivery of XUV 700 AX7 diesel AT from United Mahindra Faridabad on 2 Nov 2022 but rejected the car in the end since that delivery vehicle was having several paint defects. The Mahindra Guys are least bothered about customers, and they are unable to maintain their own vehicles. TOYOTA INNOVA HYCROSS came out to be winner for me. Finally on 25th Nov 2022, I booked Hycross VX after rejecting Safari XZA and XUV 700 AT for getting peace of mind and better resale value. It's a future proof car, Hybrid tech., delivers average of 23 kmpl; it's safe for 15 yrs in NCR and I think, no other vehicle comes even close to it. Be it 3rd row space or boot capacity for all rows up. It does 0-100 in 9.5 seconds!! Its faster than many other cars in the market and gives us better value; better resale; and most important - peace of mind!
Paritoshkalra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 17:08   #7832
Senior - BHPian

I have a mahindra ASS horror story to share but i was surprised to see that we dont have a dedicated XUV700 niggles/solution thread till now ! I can post it here but i feel this thread is mainly for excited new owners and others who are planning to buy the car. We need one like this https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions).

What say ? Mods/Admins kindly advise.
Old 4th February 2023, 17:33   #7833
BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend who recently got an AX7L diesel auto.

He is complaining about a thud sound from the rear which is heard when in slow speeds.

On getting it checked multiple times, the ASC has given a lame excuse that this kind of sound comes from the diesel tank when the volume gets down to less than 50% and the lack of insulation has to be blamed

Has anyone experienced this? What could be the solution?
Old 4th February 2023, 18:19   #7834
BHPian

Quick check if anyone got a delivery from Automotive, Jubilee Hills, Hyd. I have an upcoming XUV700 delivery so wanted to know the delivery experience and potential pitfalls.

Cheers,
Vins
Old 4th February 2023, 18:34   #7835

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
He is complaining about a thud sound from the rear which is heard when in slow speeds.

On getting it checked multiple times, the ASC has given a lame excuse that this kind of sound comes from the diesel tank when the volume gets down to less than 50% and the lack of insulation has to be blamed
Yes, this is the famous football in the boot noise that many owners have complained here including me and no resolution yet from Mahindra I believe.
rs_cockpit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 22:05   #7836
BHPian

Can anyone guide me how to permanently disable the "Follow me Home" function in which the main headlamps automatically turn on and remain on for about 30 seconds after we lock the car at night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
He is complaining about a thud sound from the rear which is heard when in slow speeds. What could be the solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_cockpit View Post
Yes, this is the famous football in the boot noise that many owners have complained here including me and no resolution yet from Mahindra I believe.
I've experienced this too a few times too and it sounds like something is moving around in the boot. Could this me caused due to flexing of the fibre boot?

Last edited by vikash49 : 4th February 2023 at 22:11.
Old 5th February 2023, 07:31   #7837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Can anyone guide me how to permanently disable the "Follow me Home" function in which the main headlamps automatically turn on and remain on for about 30 seconds after we lock the car
I don't think it can be disabled permanently, but pressing the lock button on remote second time turns off the light.
Sandegov is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 11:22   #7838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Can anyone guide me how to permanently disable the "Follow me Home" function in which the main headlamps automatically turn on and remain on for about 30 seconds after we lock the car at night time.
Please find the process to activate / deactivate FMH from the owners manual
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20230205-11.19.32-am.png  

har_war_09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 14:50   #7839
BHPian

After driving 17000 kilometres and spending 12 plus months with my XUV 700 AX7 D AT (Dark Thunder), I would like to provide a long-term review that covers all aspects of ownership, including comfort, practicality, reliability, and overall driving experience.

I managed to book the car in the initial lot of 25000 bookings, and got the car delivered in last week of December 2021. The car has been a head turner since day one and the same continues till date. The car has seen fair bits of ups and downs but majorly it has always impressed with its smooth and powerful performance, spacious and comfortable interior and impressive array of advanced tech loaded features.

In these 17000 plus kilometres, the major contributor has been driving to one of the most treacherous terrains for any vehicle, a 6500 km road trip from Mumbai to Ladakh, few trips to Lonavala over the weekends and couple of trips to Ahmedabad. The care has huge amount of boot space with last row folded and can take all the luggage needed for long road trips. The last row is strictly for children and is not at all comfortable for long distances.

Following are few of pics from my Ladakh trip.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220602_082941.jpg
Zoji La Pass

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220605_103802.jpg
The mighty Khardung La top

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220608_130400.jpg
Chang La top

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220610_105812.jpg
Tanglang La top

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220610_120221.jpg
More Plains

Whether navigating through city streets, highways or tackling off-road terrain, the car has proven to be a capable and confident performer. The longest distance travelled by me in a day has been around 800 km and I could complete that with almost no fatigue. Slightest tap on the paddle and the beast comes to life, before you realise, you are doing triple digit speeds. Overtaking is breeze and one does not need to think twice for the availability of power, when needed. Mine is a non-AWD, still I did not feel any need of AWD during my Ladakh trip.

Before my trip to Ladakh, I was fearing about the DEF issue as I had seen many videos of people getting stranded due to DEF failure at higher altitudes or due to constantly driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I have till date not faced any issue with regards to DEF throughout my ownership.

Every time I drive the car, and especially on highways, it puts a big smile on my face. I am getting fuel efficiency of around 10-12 km per litre, in city and when on highways it goes up to 17 km per litre, with lite footed driving (speeds around 90 kmph). With triple digit speeds I get around 13-14 km per litre, which in my opinion is good for a 2.2 Ltr engine.

I recently did a 1000+ km trip from Mumbai to Ahmedabad and back and was super impressed by the overall performance and fuel efficiency that the car provided. There are many patches on the Mumbai – Ahmedabad highway which have uneven road surface, but that was hardly felt in the cabin. After replacing the lower arm, the vehicle has become super silent on rough patches.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20230128_102225.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20230128_102236.jpg

A quick stop on Mumbai - Ahmedabad Highway for some local stuff

On the forum I have seen many members complaining about ADAS, especially AEB. Since day one, I have never switched off AEB in my car. In-fact I have had couple of instances where car has reacted to the situation just in time and before I could react to the opposite person applying brakes suddenly or a jaywalker suddenly running in front of the car. This has saved me from rear ending the car in front of me or knocking off someone. I am not a very aggressive driver and normally keep enough distance (at least 1 to 1.5 car) from the vehicle ahead, which does not trigger the AEB abruptly.

The only thing I would wish for is more refined service experience across all MASS. In terms of reliability, there are few areas where Mahindra needs to do some more work.

Some of the major issues I faced till date are around;
- Suspension Noise (Gud Gud Noise)
- Blown up DATC ECU while flashing
- Engine Coolant hose failure
- Football in boot
- Software niggles and bugs

MASS experience is a hit and miss depending upon which service centre you visit and how experienced the staff is at the MASS.

For issues with Suspension Noise and DATC ECU has to do multiple visits. The vehicle was kept at the workshop for few days and it was until I escalated the matter, things were slow. One thing I would like appreciate is that Mahindra is actively listening to its customers.

After I escalated the issue to Mahindra customer care, the Customer Care Manager Mr. Rajesh Jagtap took cognizance of the issue and made sure that it was all sorted. Personal attention was given by the CCM ensuring that the issues are resolved.

For the suspension issue, Mr. Rajesh helped me get the Lower Arm replaced which has now resolved the "Gud Gud" noise issue which I was facing since long. It is great to see someone proactively connecting with the customer and getting the issues sorted.

After replacement of the lower arm, I am facing a minor left pulling issue for which I am assured by the CCM that it will be taken care during the 20K service. Waiting for this to be sorted soon.

Mahindra is leaving no stone unturned to enhance its customer service experience and to compete with other brands which are currently leading in customer experience space.

I hope Mahindra is able to iron out software niggles and the football in boot issue soon.

Looking forward to munching many more miles in my Dark Thunder
bill1182 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 17:37   #7840
BHPian

I had stopped lurking in this thread around Feb'22, just after deciding not to book due to long waiting queue. Now that I have been going through the posts of last one year, it is filled with stories of people getting delivery within 3 to 6 months of booking.

It makes me wonder, is there anyone who did not get delivery within a year of booking or still waiting for more than a year after booking?
Old 5th February 2023, 22:29   #7841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
I had stopped lurking in this thread around Feb'22, just after deciding not to book due to long waiting queue. Now that I have been going through the posts of last one year, it is filled with stories of people getting delivery within 3 to 6 months of booking.

It makes me wonder, is there anyone who did not get delivery within a year of booking or still waiting for more than a year after booking?
Some variants are being delivered quickly, like the Petrol versions and lower variants. But Diesel and the the Luxury variants still hold a long wait time.

In fact its been 11 months and I am expecting the delivery this month
har_war_09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 22:50   #7842
BHPian

No two words about it. The drive and ride quality is fantastic when compared to my old XUV500. It reaches triple digits pretty easily and due to NVH refinement, we hardly feel it. Just clocked 380Kms, used to babysit my other cars. I really don't know with DPF in question, should we keep the vehicle under 80kmph for the initial 1000Kms.?

A peculiar issue with infotainment.

While on the return leg of my today's trip, tried activating alexa through voice command, but got no response. I switched off the vehicle two to three times still found the same issue. Then had a long 40 mins break at a restaurant. After that Voilà alexa worked. Don't have iota of clue what happened? Is it a niggle or something else?
Old 7th February 2023, 00:31   #7843
BHPian

My take after a short test drive of AX7L P AT. My feelings are obviously biased by comparison with my EcoSport AT.

The good bits:
- Great burst of power on tap, especially for such a big vehicle.
- The steering felt lighter than even the very light one of EcoSport.
- Combined effect of the above two (and lighter doors) gave a feeling that this vehicle is lighter.
- Suspension is definitely softer than EcoSport, at least for city rides. Didn't need to slow down that much on bumpers and potholes.
- Overall got a pretty positive vibe.

The SA didn't allow a longer run, saying that the red-board TC registration does not allow it to be taken on highways. Also, I didn't see the Fastag sticker on the test car. Based on the reviews, I hope the ride is stiff/planted enough for highway runs.

The iffy bits:
- Felt a bit of body roll during lane change, not too alarming though.
- Ingress into driver seat (compared to EcoSport) is tricky. I was first trying to sit and then take the head in. Either the seat is too high or the roof is low, I felt it very difficult to get the head inside. I'm just about 5'7" and I felt the roof is too low. Getting out is no problem though.
- Under-thigh support in the second row is less. Although wifey felt it was comfortable enough.
- There is no drive mode (EcoSport has Sport mode, which helps sometimes in overtaking or riding inclines). However, with so much power on tap in normal drive mode, I guess it will not be that much of an issue. The manual drive mode could be an equivalent of EcoSport Sport mode tiptronic gears.
- I really wanted my next car to have the paddle-shifters (even Ertiga twins have it). Is there an aftermarket option for this? Is it even advisable for this car?

Being a short ride, I didn't have the chance to try ACC, ADAS, or the manual drive mode.

I was mostly focused on driving dynamics, so didn't explore the electronics. The FM audio sounded just about average, didn't feel it mind-blowing like those initial reviews suggested. Did they change the speaker quality in the production versions?

Is there any long-term review by any EcoSport owner who moved to this car?
Old 7th February 2023, 01:06   #7844
BHPian

[quote=jampot;5489775]. Now that I have been going through the posts of last one year, it is filled with stories of people getting delivery within 3 to 6 months of booking.
/QUOTE]

Yes, this seems correct..
I made booking in Dec2022, offical waiting is 48 weeks for my Car, but SA promised, they can deliver petrol in 7-8 months
(Fingers crossed)
Old 7th February 2023, 11:01   #7845
BHPian

[quote=alamodein;5490727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
. Now that I have been going through the posts of last one year, it is filled with stories of people getting delivery within 3 to 6 months of booking.
/QUOTE]

Yes, this seems correct..
I made booking in Dec2022, offical waiting is 48 weeks for my Car, but SA promised, they can deliver petrol in 7-8 months
(Fingers crossed)
It depends on the region as well as the variant. I booked mine (AX7L AWD) in Haryana in May '22 and got the delivery in Dec '22. A colleague booked his (AX7L Diesel MT) in Jharkhand in Dec '21 and he is getting the delivery next week.

Also, I feel that speaking to the dealer on a regular basis (I spoke to them at least once every month) seems to reassure them that we indeed will buy once the car is allotted, so they probably follow up further themselves.

Most Viewed