Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 07:04   #1066
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Planning to take delivery of my Lava Blue L&K Kodiaq this week. Will share my experience & pics shortly.

Quick question - Essential Accessories Kit for the Kodiaq - Does it makes sense to take from Skoda or better to buy from outside? Any links to equivalent or better value products if available will help.

Tyres & Underbody - Any quick check to be done at the time of PDI?
Old 5th April 2023, 12:28   #1067
BHPian

Its been 7000Kms in 5 months. Here is a quick review of how the journey has been so far:-
  • Car feels reasonably nimble to drive and handles amazingly well, considering its huge size. Thankfully no scratches so far, the ppf has proven to be a wise investment.
  • No niggles till date. But when it goes over the bumps the parcel tray in the boot bounces to make an annoying noise.
  • Music quality is great, but I wish there was some intelligent speaker diagnostic system to tell if there is an issue with one, as there are 12 of them.
  • Android auto works seamlessly for most times but can be a little patchy sometimes and its difficult to get it to work on those days. No logical explanation for it.
  • Getting a mileage of around 9-10kmpl in the city and 13kmpl during family road trips with a fully loaded car. The tankful method will almost always show 0.6kmpl less than the one displayed on the MID.
  • The built in maps are pretty much useless. Wish the android auto got mirrored on the main screen .
  • The suspension is hard for the most part , but its not uncomfortable. If you are going fast then it will glide over most of the undulations. You will feel it, but not to the point of cursing it.
  • The biggest disappointment is the ventilated seats, you hardly feel anything. During winters the heated function worked better. May be it’s a nuance of it being a CKD.
  • The drive – well it almost encourages you to cruise rather than push which makes for a stable, sophisticated and comfortable drive . There is an initial lag , owing to the slower gearbox which sorts of makes you wonder what this car could ‘ve become if it was slightly quicker from the get go. Yeah I understand the “fastest 7 seater under 1 cr blurb”, but still it leaves a lot to be desired as it doesn’t feel as fast. But what’s contradictory is that it can be really fast when you want it to be. Push it in sports mode or use paddles, but not too many of us would drive it that way .
So am I happy with it? Most definitely yes ! If you’ve read my initial ownership review , I evaluated everything from an XUV700 to an Audi Q5 and BMWX1 2023(thank god I didn’t waste my time waiting for it). The 40-55 lac range car scene for a petrol car largely remains the same. Yes there have been days when I wished i would’ve gone for a logo- but that didn’t come at the same price or space. Days when I wished it was faster- but may be I am expecting a 3 series sedan like performance from an SUV. The car still hits that sweet spot, a not-so long 7 seater- that has enough space for two small families with luggage, and a perfect Q5 like 5-seater for your weekday office commute that drives well. And to top it all- You’ve got a looker !
Fun_to_drive is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 13:20   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurups View Post
Planning to take delivery of my Lava Blue L&K Kodiaq this week. Will share my experience & pics shortly.
Quick question - Essential Accessories Kit for the Kodiaq - Does it makes sense to take from Skoda or better to buy from outside? Any links to equivalent or better value products if available will help.
Tyres & Underbody - Any quick check to be done at the time of PDI?

Stock essential kit is good enough. Though you can find better. I went with stock.

Check for the thread depth - shouldn't be less than 3 mm anywhere - Michelin has some good handy tool for tyre pressure & thread depth assessment.

Underbody is coated / smeared with thick rubbery coat - that's it, can't make out much.

If possible, check brake pads thickness as well - it's visible from a certain angle.
SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:09   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
If you don't need to carry whole family along, with lots of luggage, you can actually consider it.
And in case practicality is needed - the Tiguan makes a strong case for itself. It's a little bit more nimble and fun to drive than the Kodiaq, while being much more VFM. Biggest miss however is the adaptive suspension - it survives our usual commute in Mumbai but on poor roads it shows it's ugly head.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:28   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Biggest miss however is the adaptive suspension - it survives our usual commute in Mumbai but on poor roads it shows it's ugly head.
True, it makes one's bottom numb over potholes.
Though, Kodiaq is definitely a looker.
Old 9th April 2023, 10:55   #1071
BHPian

I finally got to test drive the Kodiaq at Mody Skoda, Andheri, Mumbai. The test drive car was brand new, White L&K. It had less than 1k on the odo - they have just got the car. The dealer also had a Lava blue L&K ready for delivery. I have also booked Lava blue L&K. Coming to the test drive:
  • It was a short test drive, for 4-5 kms
  • Felt that the car isn't very nimble from the get go, there is definitely a hint of turbo lag. This was in comfort mode. However, in sports mode the lag felt lesser
  • Once it picks up speed, the pull is pretty good but not as good as the A4. I am sure on the highways, as mentioned by fellow members, the car will be pretty good
  • I got into a comfortable seating position pretty easily and could see the bonnet upfront. The visibility was good and the car did not feel too big. Felt this is a good size for an occasional 7 seater
  • Quality upfront is good with top part of the dash covered in soft plastics. The top part of the first row doors are also soft touch. However, thats about it, the rear door pads are all hard touch, the lower part of the front doors are also hard touch. They are well put together but they are no where near the cabin that A4 had. But you cannot get all
  • Space in the 2nd row was quite good, given that the seats can be adjusted. The third row, as very well known, is strictly for children. My younger daughter, who is 7, was fine but my elder daughter, who is 11 & 5'1'', was not able to fit with 2nd row seats pushed back. However, she could still sit for small drives with 2nd row seats pulled slightly forward. This set up was comfortable for 2nd row passengers as well. So don't think its a deal breaker for us. We want an occasional 7 seater when parents/in-laws/other relatives are visiting otherwise a 5 seater with a big boot especially for the road trips
  • The My2023 models have a door protector and its good quality and the mechanism is well "Simply Clever"
  • The ride was absorbent but I did feel some suspension noise on road undulations. I asked the same to the sales guy accompanying me for the test drive, but he said it is normal. One of the reasons to change my Citi is the noise that the suspension makes on road undulations - I want a silent drive experience. I don't want to get into the same mode with the Kodiaq. The dealer said, its nothing abnormal. I also spoke to fellow member Jangra and his experience has also been great. Fellow member SilverSmoke also gave a positive feedback. So maybe I am thinking too much or the test drive car was just too new & it may not have undergone a complete PDI
  • One thing that bothered me was the light switch. When I was rotating it from Auto to other modes, the whole round dial also moved. I was shocked to see this. Again a request from fellow members to share if this is the case in their cars as well or just it may be an issue with the test drive car. Can this be fixed?

In summary, it is a great car, I have only 3 concerns -
  • The relatively slow start. I think I can live with it
  • The suspension noise - here is where I request fellow members to share their experience
  • Some parts did not give a really quality feel. May be this is a compromise that I make for getting otherwise a great package

Note: I had extensively test driven the A4 and was about to finalize the pre BS6.2 car - had great offers running and would have got it for less than the Kodiaq and that too with 5 yrs extended warranty and service package, but space was a big constraint because of which we had to let go such an awesome deal. I also test drove Meridian, Hycross and Legender but concluded that Koidiaq is the best compromise to make while changing our 2017 City.

I have put a couple of queries (suspension noise and the rotating dial of the light switch). It would be great to hear your thoughts and feedback. Hope to give a go ahead to the dealer today.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 11:02   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
In summary, it is a great car, I have only 3 concerns -
  • The relatively slow start. I think I can live with it
  • The suspension noise - here is where I request fellow members to share their experience
  • Some parts did not give a really quality feel. May be this is a compromise that I make for getting otherwise a great package
The slow start is a characteristic is this car. You get used to it. Our Sportline model car (non DCC) has zero suspension noise. I find the overall cabin quality to be far superior to Compass and Meridian. Kodiaq is the absolute best all rounder one can buy if they are looking for a petrol car. There is only one catch. The car is not E20 compliant. If you are willing to live with this, there is nothing better.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th April 2023 at 11:03.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 12:38   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

Own neither a Kodiaq or an A4, but I can safely say that Audi quality totally blows Skoda away, and especially with the A4.

There is simply no comparison, trust me!
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 15:46   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Own neither a Kodiaq or an A4, but I can safely say that Audi quality totally blows Skoda away, and especially with the A4.

If you compare Indian units, yes there isn't any.

If you go with CKD, there certainly is.
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:06   #1075
BHPian

Quote:

Between the A4 and Kodiaq, there really isn’t much difference on sophistication. Inside both, you feel the cabin is of a luxury car ranging between 40 and 60. Neither is A6 level.
Jangra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:33   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note: I had extensively test driven the A4 and was about to finalize the pre BS6.2 car - had great offers running and would have got it for less than the Kodiaq and that too with 5 yrs extended warranty and service package, but space was a big constraint because of which we had to let go such an awesome deal.
A bit off-topic, but as you are also from Bombay could you please share the On-road offer you received on the pre-BS6.2 A4? and which specific variant(s) as well
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 19:53   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The slow start is a characteristic is this car. You get used to it. Our Sportline model car (non DCC) has zero suspension noise. I find the overall cabin quality to be far superior to Compass and Meridian. Kodiaq is the absolute best all rounder one can buy if they are looking for a petrol car. There is only one catch. The car is not E20 compliant. If you are willing to live with this, there is nothing better.
I agree that Kodiaq is a great all rounder and have confirmed the dealer to go ahead with the allotment. Unfortunately, its still only BS6.2 compliant and not E20.

Quote:

Quote:
If you compare Indian units, yes there isn't any.

If you go with CKD, there certainly is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Between the A4 and Kodiaq, there really isn’t much difference on sophistication. Inside both, you feel the cabin is of a luxury car ranging between 40 and 60. Neither is A6 level.
A4 interiors were of great quality. The ambient lighting was amazing. Suspension was magical. But it did lack a few things - like ventilated seats, wireless car play, a few other features but most importantly space on offer - would have gone for A4 even with its negatives but wanted more space and hence with a very heavy heart rejected A4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
A bit off-topic, but as you are also from Bombay could you please share the On-road offer you received on the pre-BS6.2 A4? and which specific variant(s) as well
I was looking at the Technology variant for which I got ~ 52.5 for MH registration and ~ 47.25 for BH registration. This included the 5 yr extended warranty and 5 yr service package. This meant that they quoted ~ 16 lakhs discount without negotiations. I am sure one could have negotiated for more, but as I mentioned above, due to space on offer, we did not go ahead with the A4.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 09:31   #1078
BHPian

Did 450 KMS round trip, got FE if 14.1 KMPL.

Many a times, right from the beginning, I have noted that when tank is left with 1/3rd fuel or less, vehicle's pickup is felt little bit weaker.

When it's full upto brim, it comes back to its normal state.

Its me only or I am wrong?

Difference is very minimal but certainly it's there.
SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 14:22   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have put a couple of queries (suspension noise and the rotating dial of the light switch). It would be great to hear your thoughts and feedback. Hope to give a go ahead to the dealer today.
There is no suspension noise in my car, but mine is without DCC so I cannot be sure. What you must be hearing, was it slow speeds? Then it could be the gearbox rattling that you're hearing, this happens in traffic D2-D3 gears. About the light switch, you're correct! Happens in my car too, right from the delivery day. Even I was shocked at this and wanted to complain before delivery but left it for now. Would rather wait for Skoda to upgrade the parts sometime down the line and then may be order a replacement. The movement in the switch is one thing and the headlights vibrating on rough road and idle is another thing present in my car.

Quote:

Many a times, right from the beginning, I have noted that when tank is left with 1/3rd fuel or less, vehicle's pickup is felt little bit weaker.
Ironically the car should be running with more urgency as the weight in fuel tank is less. Pickup should improve. Although I haven't let the fuel level drop below 1/3rd in my car yet, but if it happens I will report back.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:36   #1080
BHPian

Quote:

When it's full upto brim, it comes back to its normal state.

Its me only or I am wrong?

Difference is very minimal but certainly it's there.
I have done many tanks full to almost empty (50Kms to empty) and never felt that. I know its a bad habit as it puts stress on the fuel pump, but never felt the loss of power
Jangra is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks