Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2023, 00:07   #1081
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Own neither a Kodiaq or an A4, but I can safely say that Audi quality totally blows Skoda away, and especially with the A4.

There is simply no comparison, trust me!
Personally find the A4 to be comparable to the Octavia, especially the MY2021 Mk4. There isn't anything special for a car priced at 50L+. While the A4 gets a different front suspension, I found the Octavia's plushness to be better for our road surfaces (the Audi felt better in corners/more stable at higher speeds, however this means that the suspension is tuned a bit stiffer). Cabin insulation was similar in both.

It's the A6 which has a totally different feel to the build/finish and even the powertrain refinement/power delivery. Even with a sunroof, the cabin insulation felt atleast a couple of notches superior. Suspension system is totally different, cannot even be spoken of in the same breath.

A4/3 are entry level offerings (of the respective brand) and do not feel dinstinctly premium (given their inflation induced price points), if one is owning a Skoda CKD product. It's the C class that feels better due to the nice interiors, but then it also costs a bit more than the others.

A Kodiaq owner may not perceive anything south of X5/GLE to be special.

Last edited by GoBlue : 11th April 2023 at 00:13.
GoBlue is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 11:59   #1082
Senior - BHPian

21000 Kms Update
Last report: 12/01/23 @ 15000 Kms
3 months: 6100 kms, Avg FE - 12.0 km/L
Second oil change service done @ 19485 Kms, cost: 13913/-
Issues reported: None

February and March being busiest work months for me the car saw little mileage. The car is a professional at munching miles and you don't realise when your odo has crossed several milestones until you turn off cruise control. Second service was completed 1 month ago and it was the usual affair of engine oil, oil filter, air filter and AC filter replacement. No other issues were reported or observed by technician. Sunroof guide was cleaned and lubricated, brake pad thickness measured and found ok on all four wheels. I had carried out wheel alignment and balancing about 3 months back and everything is fine on that front as well. I get it done at one of the reputed tyre shops who possess Hunter equipment. Although I feel the tyres are now starting to slip a bit. Have been prepared to switch to a new set around 35-40K kms.

I saw some pretty decent FE on a recent drive which was 85 kms one way upward ghat and return on the same route. It was a high speed drive but with minimal traffic at night. A lot depends on the FE one can achieve, the driving style, load, time of day, traffic, etc. But I feel the Kodiaq has always been more comfort oriented to drive, rather than being wrung by its neck!

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-kodiaq-april-23-.jpg

When you do press the accelerator all the way, use the paddles, the car is also fun to drive. I observe that the car has become more drivable as the odo is climbing. Not a kind of derestriction of any sort, but I feel its more enjoyable as its ageing.

Haven't done any exterior / interior mods till now, no treatments, no coatings, zilch! I think thats one of the benefits of having a white car. Swirls and scratches don't show up so easily. Have booked an appointment to a basic compounding and claying next weekend. I just hope I resist temptation when the detailer upsells me a ceramic / graphene coating. Might get the mirrors and B pillars wrapped in PPF though.

Also waiting on 3D mats to arrive, finally placed the order after a long time. Normally all my cars receive the 3D mats even before delivery. But since the all weather mats were being given as part of accessory pack I did not order it earlier. Main reason to go for it was to have a full set of light weight and easy to clean mats and that important third row mat which the OEM pack doesn't contain.

Next report will be at 30K kms, after the 3rd service! Should be sometime in August I presume.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 12:11   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Thanks for the tips. I am happy for you that you haven't crossed paths with the service center mafia that operates out of some of the authorized service centers. Me and my Superb haven't been that lucky. I would give one example but I don't want to name any specific dealer here.

. The engine department is the worst. I call them "Den of Thieves".
Looks like this is endemic for VAG dealers, I had similar experience for my vento tsi for accident repair. My skoda dealer is relatively better.
Old 11th April 2023, 19:28   #1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun_to_drive View Post
Days when I wished it was faster- but may be I am expecting a 3 series sedan like performance from an SUV.
ECU remap is the solution!
MageshSai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 09:17   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
In summary, it is a great car, I have only 3 concerns -
  • The relatively slow start. I think I can live with it
  • The suspension noise - here is where I request fellow members to share their experience
  • Some parts did not give a really quality feel. May be this is a compromise that I make for getting otherwise a great package
I have put a couple of queries (suspension noise and the rotating dial of the light switch). It would be great to hear your thoughts and feedback. Hope to give a go ahead to the dealer today.
  • You get adjusted to the driving behavior of the car, sports mode and paddles do come in handy.
  • There is no suspension noise as such that i 've heard. There are a few thuds that you feel at times. But they are rarely jarring or too uncomfortable. There is some sophistication about those as well, you know its like how rich people sneeze .
  • Yeah the quality on a few knobs could've been better but I've kept the headlights on auto from day 1 for the past 5 months and have rarely tinkered with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Personally find the A4 to be comparable to the Octavia, especially the MY2021 Mk4. There isn't anything special for a car priced at 50L+. While the A4 gets a different front suspension, I found the Octavia's plushness to be better for our road surfaces (the Audi felt better in corners/more stable at higher speeds, however this means that the suspension is tuned a bit stiffer). Cabin insulation was similar in both.

It's the A6 which has a totally different feel to the build/finish and even the powertrain refinement/power delivery. Even with a sunroof, the cabin insulation felt atleast a couple of notches superior. Suspension system is totally different, cannot even be spoken of in the same breath.

A4/3 are entry level offerings (of the respective brand) and do not feel dinstinctly premium (given their inflation induced price points), if one is owning a Skoda CKD product. It's the C class that feels better due to the nice interiors, but then it also costs a bit more than the others.

A Kodiaq owner may not perceive anything south of X5/GLE to be special.
Absolutely agree to it, if you at all are considering an upgrade from Kodiaq in Audi- dont look for anything lesser than Q5 or A6. With A4 and Q3- you are burning more money for same engine, similar quality and getting less features and space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MageshSai View Post
ECU remap is the solution!
Voiding the extended warranty is not worth it. But i doubt even ECU remap would improve it as the behavior is similar even in sports mode?
Fun_to_drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 22:12   #1086
BHPian

Had small trip of 150 KMs, Avalanche pleasantly surprised me with FE of 17.1 KMPL in normal mode.

Guess, it's more than what one can expect from this vehicle.

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-20230413_150733.jpg
SilverSmoke is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 09:24   #1087
BHPian

That is fantastic, the best I have managed is 12.4 for a Bangalore -Tirupati drive, mostly cruising around 100KMPH. My car was still in the break-in period and hopefully will get better with time.
Old Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 11:14   #1088
BHPian

Update on my Kodiaq..

I got it back after it sat in the workshop for two weeks. Absolutely no progress made in the first 10 days but everything got fast tracked after I asked for a donor car . They told me that no replacements were done and the pressure in the fuel system is okay after cleaning the in-tank fuel pump. I was asked to drive for about 1000kms and report back if any issues. A 300 kms run over weekend seemed okay but couldn't check peak performance as I was driving with four on-board.

It appears to be a case of adulterated/contaminated petrol. Now I am wondering if the two back to back fuel pump failures I had on my Superb few years back and a similar one before that on the Mondeo is attributed to contaminated petrol from the same bunk as I have been a regular at the bunk since past 15 years. Fuel pump failures on other cars didn't show up as dramatic as they did on the Kodiaq. So I never connected the dots until now.

Note: It is a busy bunk located at the heart of a popular neighborhood. It's hard to believe they knowingly/unknowingly sell contaminated fuel. Talking to friends and family it seems there have been many reports for such problems from the very bunk. Location: https://goo.gl/maps/2s7onYvAxHtjuzSA6

Last edited by novice : 14th April 2023 at 11:31.
novice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 12:37   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Update on my Kodiaq..
two back to back fuel pump failures I had on my Superb few years back
What's interesting is the new OEM pump, for which I spent 20k after original pump failed, survived only few months but the next non-OEM replacement from an Italian brand at less than 1/3rd of the price is still going great and the engine (remapped) makes perceivably more power with the non-OEM pump.

The same goes for ignition coils - 3 of the 4 ignition coils failed immediately after an aggressive stage1 remap, even before the car completed 3 years. But the non-OEM replacement coils from Febi doing their duty since past 9 years with the same remap, never skipped a beat.

This makes me wonder if OEM parts are deliberately engineered to a certain performance and life expectancy limits.

Last edited by novice : 14th April 2023 at 12:51.
Old 14th April 2023, 18:03   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
That is fantastic, the best I have managed is 12.4 for a Bangalore -Tirupati drive, mostly cruising around 100KMPH. My car was still in the break-in period and hopefully will get better with time.

Yeah, you will get better after 10K.
First service is pending on my part yet.

Quote:
This makes me wonder if OEM parts are deliberately engineered to a certain performance and life expectancy limits.

That's planned obsolescence by corporates.

I am happy for you that it's fuel issue only probably. But what was that metal burn smell you experienced? And if undissolved impurities reaches cylinder, what's the use of fuel filter then, installed within vehicle?
So most likely it's soluble impurities / adulteration.
Old 14th April 2023, 18:09   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Yeah, you will get better after 10K.
I am happy for you that it's fuel issue only probably. But what was that metal burn smell you experienced? And if undissolved impurities reaches cylinder, what's the use of fuel filter then, installed within vehicle?
So most likely it's soluble impurities / adulteration.
I did ask them about that smell from Engine bay but they simply dismissed it and didn't offer any explanation. I didn't want to push them further as I was getting nervous about leaving the car at the workshop for extended periods.
Old 14th April 2023, 18:19   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
I did ask them about that smell from Engine bay but they simply dismissed it and didn't offer any explanation. I didn't want to push them further as I was getting nervous about leaving the car at the workshop for extended periods.

Hoping it's nothing extensive.

Once your vehicle crosses 2K mark, we should be pretty relaxed - till then, drive with a pinch of salt.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:46   #1093
BHPian

Finally got the black beauty home last weekend. Had to make a long highway trip just a day after the taking the delivery and took all precautions recommended by this wonderful community.

I was surprised to see the mileage . Will be super happy if even half of it maintains in Delhi traffic.

The drive was wonderful but have not been able to get the right lumbar setting - Had a bit of a sore back. Any tips on what is the best way to deal with it.

Will do a detailed post soon. Thanks again everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-0f426db896724e2f85c8670716225000.jpeg  

mountainboy1213 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:12   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy1213 View Post
I was surprised to see the mileage . Will be super happy if even half of it maintains in Delhi traffic.
Congratulations man - enjoy the ‘best 50lakhs can buy’ purchase

Wow, this has been the highest reported and 70% more than ARAI. Please don’t get used to it.
In the normal driving condition, you will thank your stars if that is 2 digit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy1213 View Post
The drive was wonderful but have not been able to get the right lumbar setting - Had a bit of a sore back.
I suggest get something like this. Adjust your lumbar and seat height based on your comfort rather than the armrest reach.
Secondly, don’t try for the lumbar support adjust your lower back, key is to first push the support all the way back, adjust your seat height and recline to your best comfort and then adjust the lumbar, stop as soon as you feel it.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-25188adfc9b94bf3adbf187d87bb6026.jpeg  

Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:22   #1095
BHPian

I love that all black door. I wish L&K came in full black interior.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks