Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 01:41   #1246
Senior - BHPian

@all
Thanks. I checked up and my right indicator still works! I'll take it to the service center anyway..
Old 9th November 2009, 02:44   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Dear BHPians , Im planning to buy a Punto MJD . However I have a small question running in my mind..

I kno many people may suggest to go to a petrol version as the running is less..

does this generation diesel engines like MJD's have problems of starting or any other niggling issues if its kept idle for a long period or made to run less.
Hey Motor spirit.

First, the diesel engine question. Current latest diesel engines are not the same they were 20 yrs back.
Its a long way from IDI to common rail tech.

I myself owned a diesel car (v2 turbo) even though i didnt need a diesel for my monthly running but still bought her coz of her performance. About the indica, it runs on some old but very improved diesel tech (IDI), but never felt so. At times, i would not turn her on for 3 days, rare times a week; and when ever I required her services, the heating procedure would go to 6-7 times (regular starts needed 2 times heating of the coils) and a single crank would be enough (holding the starter for around 2 secs, not the long ignition process).. no probs for 2.3 yrs I had her.

Cutting it short; There are many car owners who buy a diesel car just for filling cheaper fuel when their running needs a petrol car. And they dont face any problems. (considering the common rail diesel engines)

The MJD needs no praising. If you feel in the near future you will need a diesel car, buy the MJD punto, eyes closed.

Till then just follow the regular servicing mentioned in the book! Buy extended warranty. Oh and keep rats away from the car if idle for long times.

BTW, if you dont mind telling; approximately when is the "change in monthly running" expected???
Old 10th November 2009, 13:12   #1248
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Is it possible to fit the Linea's VGT in Punto??
Theoretically yes, but it will cost too much. If you want more performance, get a diesel tuning box (20 - 25K).
Old 10th November 2009, 13:33   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
If you can afford the extra initial cost of MJD over the petrol variant, there is nothing wrong in going for it. If you anticipate increase in running, it will not be a bad choice.
Just to give an example, my monthly running used to be 500-600 KMs with my M800. But with Punto now, i have already covered 1200 KMs in 3 weeks (which includes 300 KMs of BLR-MYS trip which i would have avoided in M800). Even if you exclude that, it's more than what I used to drive earlier.

thats a valuable input..thank you so much silent engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_aashay View Post
Hey Motor spirit.

BTW, if you dont mind telling; approximately when is the "change in monthly running" expected???

Thank u so much aashay for sparing some time & writing back. it has just infused more confidence in me to go for a MJD .

to answer your question the changed scenario may be in an year's time , thats when i plan to look out for a change in my job & also extending my family.

Note from Team BHP Support
Use Multi Quote when quoting multiple posts.

Do not quote large posts completely.

Please type in clear and concise English.
SMS Language is not permitted.

Last edited by bblost : 10th November 2009 at 13:53. Reason: back 2 back posts, please use multi quote instead.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:06   #1250
BHPian

I read in HT a few days ago that a 100bhp 1.6L engine is expected in the VW Polo. That said, Fiat should fork more powerful engines into the Punto pretty quick or risk loosing the enthusiasts to VW.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:39   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I read in HT a few days ago that a 100bhp 1.6L engine is expected in the VW Polo. That said, Fiat should fork more powerful engines into the Punto pretty quick or risk loosing the enthusiasts to VW.
There are Fiat enthusiasts, there are performance enthusiasts, and of course a few belong to both these groups.
Now pure performance enthusiasts might not have jumped onto Punto-Linea wagon, and pure Fiat enthusiasts might stick around even if there are better performers.
So Fiat needs to take good care of its enthusiasts first by providing a quality product and then position itself either as a lifestyle product, a performance product, VFM product, or a right mix of all.

That said I am all for the new 1.4Tjet and 1.6 Diesel which better compliment the awesome dynamics of the Fiats.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:42   #1252
Senior - BHPian

What's the recommended fuel for the Punto MJD ? I read in some (swift) reviews that Shell diesel does not work well on the MJD.

What are the owners using, anyone using shell ? The Punto manual says not to use premium fuel.

Right now I'm using IOC. Haven't faced any problems but was wondering if there's something better.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:01   #1253
Senior - BHPian

^
I am using Shell diesel for my Punto.
AFAIK, Shell is selling only normal diesel.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:12   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the price difference between shell and IOC is less than 20 paise in Bangalore, so I guess Shell must be regular diesel.

So how's the experience been with Shell - smooth without any problems ?
Old 12th November 2009, 21:18   #1255
BHPian

My father is using shell. He hasn't driven his GP much compared to the guys on the forum, however no complains so far.
Old 13th November 2009, 00:37   #1256
Senior - BHPian

I have run so far 1300 KMs, most of it on Shell except for one fill of 5L IOC. Didn't find much difference, but no problems whatsoever with Shell.
Getting highway mileage of 21 and city mileage between 13-16.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:52   #1257
BHPian

how is diesel u get from xtra care? i think its hp's?? correct me if m wrong which is the best to be used?
And silent engine where is your car pics dude? Whendid you get it? You didnt tell...
Old 13th November 2009, 14:25   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
And silent engine where is your car pics dude? Whendid you get it? You didnt tell...
i haven't managed to click decent photographs yet, i am going to post initial ownership thread soon
she's 4 weeks old now.
Old 13th November 2009, 14:38   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post

I kno many people may suggest to go to a petrol version as the running is less . However Im also thinking about the future. the whole scenario may change , I might change job & might have to arrange my own travel to office which may lead to rise in my Kms/ month .I dont want to feel the petrol pinch anytime in the future & regret on that day for not buying a diesel
Dont worry, once you have a diesel car, you will drive down to office.. the same thing with me, my monthly running in a bike was around 600KM but after i bought a diesel car, its run 4500KM in 3 months!! believe me you will never regret buying a diesel car and that too MJD is a gem of engine and you would surely love it..go for it no second thoughts about it..
Old 16th November 2009, 23:18   #1260
Senior - BHPian

@all
I was just reading a post by a member and the poor guy was trying his level best to keep his scorpio from getting stolen. Even with all the security devices(steering and gear locks, immobiliser) in place, he had a close shave. Which brings me to the question:

Have any of you installed any safety devices in your Punto? I havnt installed anythng as the dealer said that the car was adequately secured and it isn't necessary..your thoughts on this?

Most Viewed