Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2012, 12:39   #4216
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Dust also plays a role in abnormally low power delivery in case the air filters get clogged , do you take any precaution such as more frequent service ? Any chance that the pipe puncture that you experienced during your Goa trip could have been due to the dusty environment at construction sites ? Dust particles being sucked at high speeds can cause great damage. Just speculating / thinking aloud .
You do have a point there. It could be one of the reasons.However prior to the drive had asked VW Service Thane centre to have the filter cleaned. But would this help is a question. Also wouldn't the Air filter prevent such particles from causing harm. Since the Pipe is made of Reinforced Rubber corrosion can also come into play i guess.
Old 25th March 2012, 17:15   #4217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
You do have a point there. It could be one of the reasons.However prior to the drive had asked VW Service Thane centre to have the filter cleaned. But would this help is a question. Also wouldn't the Air filter prevent such particles from causing harm. Since the Pipe is made of Reinforced Rubber corrosion can also come into play i guess.
Reinforced rubber pipes generally degrade with time, and a couple of years is too short. What could have happened is that it got punctured externally due to flying stone chips and the pressure did the rest. In emergency any reinforced pipe, such as used for high pressure hoses, even reinforced irrigation pipe; those used at the suction end; would work as well if not better than the OE equipment.

In case of badly clogged filters, the suction may be enough to draw air from any gap it finds. In extreme cases the filter (especially if the filter is of fibre material and gets wet) may disintegrate and be sucked in creating a lot of damage. In dusty environment it is better to change the air filters every 5,000 kilometers. In extremely dusty conditions - mines; especially coal and iron ore; and desert 3,000 is a safer interval. After all an air filter costs peanuts (my K10 one is less than 200 from Maruti Shops) compared to the loss in FE and other problems created by clogged filters. In general air filters are user changeable, and take less than five minutes.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 18:57   #4218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In dusty environment it is better to change the air filters every 5,000 kilometers. In extremely dusty conditions - mines; especially coal and iron ore; and desert 3,000 is a safer interval. After all an air filter costs peanuts
Can't agree more with you , spot on ! Adjusting the air filter change interval has to be adjusted according to the dusty environment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Unfortunately the kind of dust ( or rather large dust particles) that would cause damage to the turbo pipe cannot be cleaned , those would be deeply embedded . Cleaning an air filter is usually with a blast of air . As Aroy correctly mentioned , get your air filter replaced more frequently - its a small price to pay but you would peacefully recover the money due to better fuel efficiency .
Old 26th March 2012, 18:21   #4219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
No, there is an auto-unlock feature really. When you remove the key from the ignition, all doors get unlocked. It's useful when you are planning to get out of the car anyway and would like to open the door for someone!

From what I remember, Sourav got this enabled for his car last year. So I told the same thing to the SA but he did not do it.

Also, I have uploaded the bill for the service here -- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2724502
@Nileshch: By looking at your bill, I have two question
1). The engine oil is 5L, Instead of 4.5 L in normal case. I have checked my bill which says 4.5 L. I guess they will replace the oil instead of top-up.

2). Is this fuel filter replacement is needed in first service?. They didn't replace mine when I went for my first service. Check my bill.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:29   #4220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
2). Is this fuel filter replacement is needed in first service?.
I am not an expert, but in my experience with my car, the filter is changed when ever engine oil is changed. Even if this is not mandated for your car, maybe you should find out if this will help engine performance and life.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:59   #4221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I am not an expert, but in my experience with my car, the filter is changed when ever engine oil is changed. Even if this is not mandated for your car, maybe you should find out if this will help engine performance and life.
What you have said makes absolute sense sumeshmani. Never ever use the old oil filter when you replace the oil. Your new oil can get dirty within no time. Always an oil change should be accompanied by a new oil filter.
Old 27th March 2012, 19:27   #4222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
What you have said makes absolute sense sumeshmani. Never ever use the old oil filter when you replace the oil. Your new oil can get dirty within no time. Always an oil change should be accompanied by a new oil filter.
TopSpeeder is refering to fuel filter not engine oil filter

Engine oil filter has to be changed along with the engine oil.
Whereas the fuel filter may or may not be have to changed along with engine oil. It depends on the manufacturers interval for fuel filter change which in case of vento should be at 30000 kms or 2 years, i.e. followed in my skoda laura.
Old 27th March 2012, 19:41   #4223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
TopSpeeder is refering to fuel filter not engine oil filter

Engine oil filter has to be changed along with the engine oil.
Whereas the fuel filter may or may not be have to changed along with engine oil. It depends on the manufacturers interval for fuel filter change which in case of vento should be at 30000 kms or 2 years, i.e. followed in my skoda laura.
I stand corrected. I didn't refer to the quoted message & assumed it to be the oil filter. Yes the fuel filter change interval is determined by the manufacturer & varies from car to car. Vento or other common rail diesel cars have a change interval of 30 to 40K kms.
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:35   #4224
Senior - BHPian

Completed 1st paid service on my Dark Knight. Got a few parts replaced under warranty.
1. Fuel Filter
2. Clutch Hose Pipe.
3. Engine mounts - DISS sent to VW.

Have written a detailed review of it on my thread.

Do have go through and let me know your thoughts.
Regards,
El.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:22   #4225
BHPian

Spent 3 hours with the shadowfax on sunday, cleaning all the alloy wheels.

weapons:
- Old tooth Brush
- Old Cup
- Water
- Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner

Diluted the kitchen cleaner with a little water, removed each wheel with the help of jack and then cleaned and washed it thoroughly. Overall the alloy wheel wasnt in a bad condition, but the only sore sight was the bolt holes in the wheel, a lot of dust / grime / carbon was there, the wheels looked really bad.

While I was brushing the wheels, dipped the bolts / screws on Mr Muscle, they are shining new as well!!!

Photographs coming soon......
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:51   #4226
BHPian

I also did the wheel clean and posted some pics here

Since it accumulates lots of break dust, It takes effort to clean it.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 4th April 2012 at 00:01.
Old 5th April 2012, 02:17   #4227
BHPian

My Vento has done about 7000km. I have a braking problem from 1400km. When the car is braked hard just before a speed breaker, the car hits the speed breaker and crosses it ( while brakes are pressed) the brakes just stop working and i get kind of a noise and i need to stop applying pressure and brake again to stop.

This happens on a pothole also... and its like having no brake for the couple of seconds.

And one more thing the brake pedal pushes the leg back when its not braking properly.

This happens on pothole and speed breaker very regularly if the car is in braking mode while it is crossed.

Will be taking to the service for a check up. But any idea guys.

I was thinking its ABS. i am not sure...

And one more thing the RMP does go above 2000 while the car is still. Why?

Last edited by noopster : 5th April 2012 at 07:28. Reason: No back-to-back posts please!
Old 5th April 2012, 07:30   #4228
Distinguished - BHPian

No offence easterncar, but what on earth are you doing driving a car with faulty brakes for the past 5600 km! That is dangerous and irresponsible. From your description, something is clearly wrong. the Vento has some of the nicest brakes in the segment and should not be behaving like this. Please make an appointment with VW service TODAY!
Old 5th April 2012, 08:20   #4229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar
My Vento has done about 7000km. I have a braking problem from 1400km. When the car is braked hard just before a speed breaker, the car hits the speed breaker and crosses it ( while brakes are pressed) the brakes just stop working and i get kind of a noise and i need to stop applying pressure and brake again to stop.

This happens on a pothole also... and its like having no brake for the couple of seconds.

And one more thing the brake pedal pushes the leg back when its not braking properly.

This happens on pothole and speed breaker very regularly if the car is in braking mode while it is crossed.

Will be taking to the service for a check up. But any idea guys.

This is not faulty brakes, this is the ABS kicking in. I have experienced the same, when you are already on the pothole / bad road/ on top of the speed breaker, at a decent speed, the front wheels would lose touch with the road for a slight while, when hey come in contact with the road again, and at the very same moment you brake, the wheels tend to skid sliiiightly, and this is when ABS kicks in, and the brake pedal starts behaving the way it behaves during ABS.

Solution: aABS is not made for bad roads, be at a slow speed on the potholes and speed breakers, respect the ABS, technology and the car shock absorbers, and everything would be fine.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:33   #4230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
If you feel that clicking sound on the brake pedal when you say there is no feel from the brakes, its the ABS. When you car goes over a speed breaker or a patholed road, one of the wheels might NOT be fully on contact with the road and the ABS would falsely kick in trying to control a wheel lock situation. Thats absolutely normal!

Do check if you get the same feeling on nice tarmaced roads. If you still get this feeling of no brakes and lack of stopping power take it to the A.S.S!

Quote:
If you are talking about the Idle RPM, you should get it checked at the A.S.S

Last edited by noopster : 5th April 2012 at 10:14. Reason: Corrected typo :)
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks