Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 10:17   #4231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hmmm I didn't think of ABS, which has a very typical behaviour where the brake pedal kicks back periodically till you come to a stop. "Brakes tend to stop working" is not exactly accurate but I guess it explains "pedal pushing the leg back".

Idle RPM of Vento is around 900 RPM. Any higher and you need to get it checked. Certainly 2000 rpm requires investigation!
Old 5th April 2012, 20:29   #4232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
No offence easterncar, but what on earth are you doing driving a car with faulty brakes for the past 5600 km! That is dangerous and irresponsible. From your description, something is clearly wrong. the Vento has some of the nicest brakes in the segment and should not be behaving like this. Please make an appointment with VW service TODAY!
It works flawlessly until, i hit the speed bump while braking. Its only while in pot holes or speed bumps. I was quite sure its the ABS until recently it happened again on speed breaker. which made me think am i thinking right.

I think i got it now ( as few have mentioned here ) its is abs which comes into play as the the cars tyre is locking up when not in contact with ground for little while.

About the RPM i think didn't mention clearly. I meant when the gear is in First and the clutch is pressed and the accelerator is pressed to maximum the max rpm goes to 2000.

when car is idle and you press the accelerator is pressed to maximum the rpm of swift goes up over 4000 but for vento it goes only upto 2000.

And one more thing guys does this mean that a non abs car will stop better (faster) when hitting a speed breaker while braking. ?
Old 5th April 2012, 22:36   #4233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
And one more thing guys does this mean that a non abs car will stop better (faster) when hitting a speed breaker while braking. ?
Not necessarily, if you encounter the same speed breaker at lower speed, the ABS wont Kick in,

Aas soon as the wheels come in contact with the ground, the braking becomes normal, but since at that moment, every millisecond seems like an hour, you feel that the braking is not happening.... I have encountered some really close shave cases in potholes, dont worry, just dont drive rash... rest the safety system will take care
Old 6th April 2012, 15:35   #4234
BHPian

The coolant level in my car is at the minimum mark though the car has just done 710 Kms. When I asked the SA about the this he mentioned that VW maintains it at the minimum level only and never fills it above that till the max point. He said, it is upto me and if I want I can add distilled water and fill it till max, to which I do not completely agree.

Please advise if this is fine or any care needs to be taken for this.

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Old 6th April 2012, 19:59   #4235
BHPian

Ok can we get hold of verna rear view mirror and get it fixed and connect to a camera. Or if any one can give me info about after market rear view mirror with camera. have seen a few but they all have like a blue ting on for the whole mirror and its like fits on the existing mirror. I want a OEM type.

Is it possible and next is its fix the new vento steering if i get hold of one. will it work with the music system or will it work with a new system.

Last edited by easterncar : 6th April 2012 at 20:18. Reason: addtions.
Old 6th April 2012, 20:24   #4236
Senior - BHPian

I dont see an issue with this, mine was also in the minimum mark to begin with and I topped it up during the 7k inspection service. Even otherwise the SA is right, you can add distilled water to the coolant mixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Please advise if this is fine or any care needs to be taken for this.

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Dont think it will work. Forget whether it will work or not, but do you have any idea how much this will cost? Not worth it, IMO.

Quote:

Is it possible and next is its fix the new vento steering if i get hold of one. will it work with the music system or will it work with a new system.
Old 6th April 2012, 21:11   #4237
BHPian

I am thinking of going with black paint to get the dual shade look, something like mission L. It will not look as good as the Mission L looks. but i think the Vento can carry it off. posting the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-download.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-download-1.jpg  

Old 6th April 2012, 23:02   #4238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of going with black paint to get the dual shade look, something like mission L. It will not look as good as the Mission L looks. but i think the Vento can carry it off. posting the pics
If you are open to other options, I'd suggest a vinyl film coating - there is a Mumbai based tbhpian's Vento (not aware of the owner) who had a black vinyl film on his car. Also you could check with @raj_5004 who has opted for a similar coating for his white Punto. The effect is really nice!

PFA the snaps of the Vento - took these pics during a Mumbai TBHP meet.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dsc09905.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dsc09868.jpg

Edit: @raj_5004's Punto can be seen at this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th April 2012 at 23:18.
Old 7th April 2012, 00:09   #4239
BHPian

Quote:
If you are open to other options, I'd suggest a vinyl film coating - there is a Mumbai based tbhpian Vento (not aware of the owner) who had a black vinyl film on his car. Also you could check with @raj_5004 who has opted for a similar coating for his white Punto. The effect is really nice!

PFA the snaps of the Vento - took these pics during a Mumbai TBHP meet

What do this Vinyl film cost and do they look good. The thing i noticed is that there is white line that is showing between the top and rear glass. its not looking good. maybe not done properly or cant be done... ?
Old 7th April 2012, 02:16   #4240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are open to other options, I'd suggest a vinyl film coating - there is a Mumbai based tbhpian's Vento (not aware of the owner) who had a black vinyl film on his car. Also you could check with @raj_5004 who has opted for a similar coating for his white Punto. The effect is really nice!

PFA the snaps of the Vento - took these pics during a Mumbai TBHP meet.
Attachment 912458

Attachment 912459

Edit: @raj_5004's Punto can be seen at this post
Ahh this is Tiger's Vento. A good friend of mine. He not a Bhpian. But he did come for the Mumbai meet/ Drive to igatpuri.
He gave our member SPEEDY a run for his money Merc Ml vs Vento. Thats how hes become famous during that drive.

I can ask him where and how much this has cost him.
Old 7th April 2012, 08:30   #4241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Ahh this is Tiger's Vento. A good friend of mine. He not a Bhpian. But he did come for the Mumbai meet/ Drive to igatpuri.
He gave our member SPEEDY a run for his money Merc Ml vs Vento. Thats how hes become famous during that drive.

I can ask him where and how much this has cost him.
He became quite infamous, if I remember correctly. Not really much of a low speed driver myself, but I must state the reckless way he did a few overtaking(s) while almost getting others to hit a truck made him quite well known. Of course, it was settled/discussed with him once we did reach the venue.

Btw please do get the costs aspects. But I do remember his film quality wasn't the best as it was peeling off at a few corners. So maybe he could give some better inputs/feedback on the same.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:36   #4242
Senior - BHPian

@easterncar

TBHPian Sledge has done this mod to his Red Vento. Heres his thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...di-modded.html

Heres a pic:

Though its not been updated for ages now. Dont know if he is still active on this forum.

Last edited by joslicx : 7th April 2012 at 09:38.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:21   #4243
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys, my sis is planning to buy a Vento petrol highline in mumbai, they are getting discount of 1L on 2011 models(OTR price 9.60, discounted price 8.55L). But i am afraid they might get cheated and given a TD vehicle or something.

Upon inquiring about 2012 model the SA told that its not available yet, not ready to given quotation also(hinted 50k increase in price which makes it ~10L), earliest delivery will be in July for 2012 model. is this info correct ? any VW owner or any one who has booked vento recently pls help.

Can anyone tell what is the difference between 2011 and 2012 models ? Or send me a link, i tried looking in this thread but could not find.
Any thing else i should be looking ?
Old 9th April 2012, 22:52   #4244
Senior - BHPian

Getting a 2011 model at a good discount, nothing better when everything is in place. Below are my views and they should help your sister with the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Hello guys, my sis is planning to buy a Vento petrol highline in mumbai, they are getting discount of 1L on 2011 models(OTR price 9.60, discounted price 8.55L). But i am afraid they might get cheated and given a TD vehicle or something.
First of all ask the SA for the Vin number of the car and use it to decode to find the manufacturing date of the car. By this you know when was the car manufactured and since when it has been in stockyard.
Vin Decoding

Once you are aware of the manufacturing date, ask the SA that you want to do a PDi of the car before you put down the money, so that you would have seen the car in person and are aware of all the aspects.
T-Bhp PDi List

Quote:
Upon inquiring about 2012 model the SA told that its not available yet, not ready to given quotation also(hinted 50k increase in price which makes it ~10L), earliest delivery will be in July for 2012 model. is this info correct ? any VW owner or any one who has booked vento recently pls help.
Deliveries/Manufacturing of 2012 model would only start once the stock of 2011 is exhausted. July is still 3 months away and that a long wait that too for a petrol car.

Quote:
Can anyone tell what is the difference between 2011 and 2012 models ? Or send me a link, i tried looking in this thread but could not find.
Any thing else i should be looking ?
The only difference that 2012 TDi Highline model has over 2011 model is that the 2012 model comes with leatherette seat covers. Don't know about changes to petrol 2012 model.

If you decide to go with 2011, try to extract as much discount as possible and do purchase 2+2 yrs Extended Warranty at the time of purchase. With German cars better safe than sorry.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 9th April 2012 at 22:55.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:04   #4245
BHPian

I did a Bangalore Chennai and back drive over the easter weekend and for the first time managed to take the TDI HL up to (occasionally) 140 kmh. However noticed a weird (or is it normal) phenomenon between 2100 to 2500 rpm. There was this sound like air leaking out from somewhere. I do realise that there is a thing called the 'turbo whistle' however this sounded ragged and not at all like a whistle. It sounded more like a gasp or a wheeze

Can anyone confirm that the sound of the turbo kicking in at higher rpms does indeed sound this way ? I did not find any appreciable reduction in accelaration etc. Even with this gasping/wheezing the car did pull cleanly upto 140 kmh. The sound was however more dependent on the rpm and not the speed of the vehicle.

Did not dare push the car beyond 140kmh for obvious reasons on the GQ.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks