Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2018, 11:15   #3076
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Padman yesterday. Highly recommended. Simple yet intriguing. Akshay Kumar as always delivers a great performance. One of the rare movies where even Sonam Kapoor has acted decently.

My rating: 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Secret Superstar - 3 / 5 stars.

Worth a watch, whether in the theatre or on TV. Only the final 30 minutes are a bit of a drag & melodramatic.

The casting is superb, everyone has acted really well. The story is rather mundane, but trust Aamir Khan to make it fun to watch. Zaira Wasim is A+ (like she was in Dangal too).
Zaira and Aamir are established actors. I felt the rest of the lesser known cast did a phenomenal job and probably matched the stars of the movie. Right from the parents of Zaira to the other child actor who played her school friend were just amazing in their performances.

And as you rightly said, Aamir just lifts a movie to a new level.

Last edited by drmohitg : 11th February 2018 at 11:20.
Old 12th February 2018, 10:53   #3077
BHPian

Watched Padmavat on Saturday. Excellent movie

Quote:
It is a MUST WATCH on the big screen. Amazing cinematography, sets, visual effects etc. The scenes & dialogues are just wow!
+1 to that. Kudos to SLB and his team for the efforts that has gone into making the film.

Quote:
Ranveer Singh completely steals the show. Stud has come of age and has acted absolutely brilliantly as Alauddin Khilji. He is captivating. Shahid & Deepika are also excellent, but overshadowed by Ranveer. Just like no one else but Sanjay Dutt could do Khalnayak, no one but Ranveer could play Alauddin. It's a role made for him.
Agree with this. I suppose it would not be wrong if one says it is Ranveer Singh's movie. Liked his performance in both these as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Anyone watched Padmavat(i)?
What do you guys prefer - 3D or 2D if both the portions are available? (generally, not related to Padmavat).
Watch in 3D for the excellent effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Any reviews on Padmaavati err. Padmaavat? I am looking forward for the acting of all the three actors and grandiose plot of SLB.
Rating : 4/5
Old 12th February 2018, 18:30   #3078
Senior - BHPian

People who have seen Padmavat and Padman both. Which one is better to watch as I can see only one of it tomorrow?
Old 13th February 2018, 12:51   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Zaira and Aamir are established actors. I felt the rest of the lesser known cast did a phenomenal job and probably matched the stars of the movie. Right from the parents of Zaira to the other child actor who played her school friend were just amazing in their performances.

And as you rightly said, Aamir just lifts a movie to a new level.
Saw this one last week. Did not want to watch it after some of the reviews. But after watching it, i just realized that reviewers of movies are looking for blockbuster content rather than the story itself. The story is fairly old, but the way the story meanders about is amazing
you have a mother daughter or should i say the relationship of two children
You have the blooming of school romance
The portrayal of a traditional Indian male who upholds his chauvinistic values
And one can go on

To me Amir being there or not there was immaterial. The movie runs on the shoulders of the little girl and the combustible fuel provided by the brooding father. What an amazing piece of acting by the dad. By the second incident involving him, my hate towards his character took immense proportions

It is a movie to be definitely watched
Old 13th February 2018, 15:29   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
People who have seen Padmavat and Padman both. Which one is better to watch as I can see only one of it tomorrow?
Watched both, loved Padman, hated Padmaavat.

Enough has been discussed about Padmaavat, I will just say, as a movie it was quite irrelevant in today's time. Glorifying jauhar or not, I felt it was regressive towards women. The only good things about the movie were the lavish sets and Ranvir Singh's acting, Shahid Kapoor and Deepika Padukone's characters were quite lame. I would discourage anyone from watching this movie.

On the other hand, Padman was a wholesome movie for me. Entertaining from start to finish while dealing with a very relevant topic. Every person in India, be it man or woman must watch it. Highly recommended from me.
Old 13th February 2018, 20:06   #3081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Enough has been discussed about Padmaavat, I will just say, as a movie it was quite irrelevant in today's time. Glorifying jauhar or not, I felt it was regressive towards women.
I haven't watched the movie yet but I fail to understand this argument primarily started by actress Swara Bhaskar I think. It is a movie. On top of it it is a period film depicting an incident, imaginary or otherwise, which takes place a few centuries before. From where does feminism come into play here. It is a movie. It is not supposed to be politically correct. Thats the whole meaning of fiction. And to be honest, the incident and many more similar incidents, did take place in those times. In fact things have not really changed even today ( heard about stories from Africa or ISIS?). Going by this logic we ought to stop celebrating our two most epic mythological tales, Ramayana and Mahabharata.

Please do not take it personally but I really don't think one should find political correctness in movies.
Old 14th February 2018, 07:38   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I haven't watched the movie yet but I fail to understand this argument primarily started by actress Swara Bhaskar I think. It is a movie. On top of it it is a period film depicting an incident, imaginary or otherwise, which takes place a few centuries before. From where does feminism come into play here. It is a movie. It is not supposed to be politically correct. Thats the whole meaning of fiction. And to be honest, the incident and many more similar incidents, did take place in those times. In fact things have not really changed even today ( heard about stories from Africa or ISIS?). Going by this logic we ought to stop celebrating our two most epic mythological tales, Ramayana and Mahabharata.

Please do not take it personally but I really don't think one should find political correctness in movies.
When I read my quote again, I do agree that I sounded a bit political! Apologies.

First of all, let me clarify that I neither belong to any political group nor do I support Karni Sena for what they did over a movie. I am just an average 9-5 IT job, tax paying guy who likes to go to the cinemas. I know I've enjoyed a movie if I've come out the theatre happy, sad, crying or thinking. I've enjoyed a Golmaal 3 as much as I loved Interstellar. But I go 'meh' when I watch a movie like say, Besharam. But I do watch everything ranging from romance to comedy, action, thriller, mythology, fiction etc.

Padmaavat was different. I really did not like the movie for the reasons that the story was irrelevant to be told in today's time and also that it was regressive towards women, not just Rani Padmavati. These are just my opinions and it is absolutely not necessary that anyone has to agree with me. Also, Swara Bhaskar's tweets have nothing to do for my opinion. Regarding the factual proof of whether this had happened or not, my stance is neutral but I will not keep it on the same pedestal as the great Mahabharata or Ramayana. Both my wife and I came out of the theatre feeling weird and not good types. Lastly, kindly allow me to rephrase my previous statement, 'I wouldn't recommend Padmaavat to anyone'.

SLB is a great director. Khamoshi, Black, Guzaarish are in my opinion, his greatest work but unfortunately, I cannot say the same for his last 3 ventures.

Last edited by Porschefire : 14th February 2018 at 07:45.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:02   #3083
BHPian

Saw 'Padman' monday night. Enjoyed it very much; its a must watch. The movie sticks to its central theme without much deviation and side-plots, but it is still entertaining throughout. It meanders a little bit towards the end, but its forgivable. All actors do a creditable job. Really need to commend Akshay Kumar for his recent choice of movies.

My rating: 4/5.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:07   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Watched Padmavat a couple of weeks back, absolutely loved Ranveer Singh, I anyway thought he was amazing when I saw Bajirao Mastani and then Padmavat came along and suddenly Ranveer Singh felt like with every movie he moves up by leaps and bounds

The story is a tad slow sometimes, songs were not to my liking but these are minor things.

Secondly the dialogue writing was amazing, specially Khiljis.

Would rate it 4.5/5
Old 20th February 2018, 23:25   #3085
Senior - BHPian

Watched Padmavat - 4/5

Great movie, amazing cinematography and visuals. Bollywood has come very close to Hollywood in production quality in last couple of years. Great storytelling, Perfect casting, good music and overall engrossing movie.

The only reason I took one star out of my rating is because it felt as if the lead cast was told that no one other that Ranvir can emote freely, all of the other lead cast just looked straight without any expression in their eyes. After reading this watch the movie and then let me know if you feel the same or not

I can understand the reason for controversy for this movie but I am glad they were able to release the movie finally as it would have been a shame to miss this Grand Saga.
Old 21st February 2018, 09:02   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Aiyaary - 0.5/5

Watched this movie and was terribly disappointed. Badly put together story with none of the characters portrayed strongly. It looked like a story put together and directed by a person who had no interest in making a movie and was forced to do so. It does not come anywhere near "A Wednesday" or "Special 26". My recommendation - avoid it. Your time and money is worth a lot more. 0.5 is for a bit of acting from some of the actors - most of them are completely wasted in the movie.

Last edited by pjbiju : 21st February 2018 at 09:05.
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:57   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Mubarakan - 4.5/5

Its so bad and over the top that its good. I see it as future Gunda!
Old 25th February 2018, 11:58   #3088
BHPian

Movie: Sonu ki Tweetu ki Sweety

Review: This movie is directed by Luv Ranjan who brought us the Pyaar Ka Punchnama (PKP) series. Both PKP movies were good in terms of the simplistic script with a little dose of realistic situations all men go through in their life. These movies portrayed women in a negative light although in a funny way. The new release also carries genes of the PKP series - simple story around the theme of deep friendship between male actors pitched against the cunning/manipulative female lead. There is decent dose of comedy in the movie along with good acting from all characters. This movie is worth watching once!
Old 25th February 2018, 13:21   #3089
Team-BHP Support

Netflix viewers do watch Love per Square Foot. Fantastic watch!!
Old 25th February 2018, 22:47   #3090
Distinguished - BHPian

Sonu ke Titu ki Sweety :2.5/5
PKP 1 was refreshingly good; especially Liquid and the famous monologue. PKP 2 was a drag but still made money at the box office.

SkTkP leads you in the same direction - the girl is assumed to be the villain and the story boringly proceeds in that direction. However the film has its moments of genius; and good snippets of comedy especially when Alok Nath is around. Worth a watch if you have a free evening and lowered expectations.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th February 2018 at 22:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks