Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2021, 16:02   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Seetharam Benoy - Case no 18

After a long time watched a good Kannada movie, the film is a crime thriller in all sense. Slow at times but catches speed soon. Unknown faces except for Vijay Raghevendra in his 50th film. Was surprised to see an ever smiling actor to be so serious through out the movie in the cop avatar. The story could have been a bit more tighter for that edge of seat experience but nevertheless keeps you glued. Will recommend the movie to all.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:05   #2072
Distinguished - BHPian

Rathnan Prapancha on Amazon Prime. No reviews yet?

Go watch it and you will surely like the fact that new Kannada movies are certainly heading in the right direction where a family can sit together, enjoy and watch the movie.

This one is done really well with perfect casting for all the roles. A roller coaster ride to some lovely landscapes and a tinge of regional flavour from North Karnataka, this one certainly is a must watch.

Full marks for all the cast for having performed their roles to their fullest and it's Dhananjay in a very very positive role this time.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 20:54   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Agree and here goes my detailed review...

Movie: Rathnan Prapancha
Platform: Amazon Prime Video
Rating: 4.5/5
IMDB: Link

This is one of the best Kannada movies in a long time which is fully content oriented with a strong script and story.

The performances by Umashree, Pramod Panju and Dhananjaya stand out. The rest of cast has also contributed aptly to their roles as well.
The Music by Ajaneesh Lokanath is excellent as usual and the song "Alemaariye - The Soul of Rathnakara" sung by Sanjith Hegde is a classic that can be watched and listened to over and over again.

While the movie starts out as a light hearted comedy at the start, it switches gears as the story progresses and conveys a deep message on relationships. The humorous theme also continues throughout ensuring that the movie does not become too serious. But the way the message around relationships is conveyed touches the heart. Kudos to the Director Rohit Padaki for an amazing film. Some messaging around transgenders and how they should be accepted is also conveyed in a positive way - though this is just a small bit in the overall storyline.

Overall, would highly recommend this !!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 24th October 2021 at 20:59.
vsrivatsa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:43   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Ratnan Prapancha (Kannada)
Amazon Prime India

The movie stays far far far away from the real prapancha.

A very flimsy premise, a predictable heroine, clichéd characters and mannerisms, disconnected scenes, botched editing, wrongful and over the top portrayal of country folk and an over-ambitious attempt to show too many groups in too good a light.

That this movie is being hailed as good is a sad reflection of the choices currently available in Sandalwood.

Consolation: Music is good, lyrics meaningful.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 08:15   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinkalazhcha Nishchayam - Malayalam (2021)

To describe it - Hidden gem.

Am sure this would go unnoticed among other movies but it's not to be missed. Nothing over the top, but a simple movie that's very well taken right from acting, BGM and music. The lead actor was really especially towards the end and others supported him really well. Glad I watched it (thought of skipping it as the entire cast were new)

Rating - 4.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The Regional movies thread!-maxresdefault.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 09:38   #2076
Senior - BHPian

Oh, this TIngal.. Nichayam is indeed a hidden no gem. I was bored yesterday noon and this popped up in Sony Liv and I decided to give it a shot. And what a good 2 hours it turned out to be. Loved it. 4/5 for me.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 13:06   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Rathnan Prapancha (Kannada) on Prime

Liked the light hearted comedy, nice locales of Kashmir, songs and music. Would have rated 3.5 but added 0.5 for the photography of North Karnataka locales, from where I come from . The mannerisms of the North Karnataka and rustic charm of Gadag and Lakkundi are captured well.

Umashree has done what she does best. Panju and Shruti have done very well considering it is not easy to do the roles involving different dialects and culture.

Rating : 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
A very flimsy premise, a predictable heroine, clichéd characters and mannerisms, disconnected scenes, botched editing, wrongful and over the top portrayal of country folk and an over-ambitious attempt to show too many groups in too good a light.
Agree with you on certain aspects. Felt the story a bit melodramatic than that was necessary. Dhananjay's over the top aggressiveness was a let down.

If it was film like Bheema Theeradalli, I would have agreed, but the shootout scenes are not realistic for this film. The director got inspired by Gangs of Wasseypur and Sholay, I felt.
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 09:42   #2078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thinkalazhcha Nishchayam - Malayalam (2021)

To describe it - Hidden gem.
Is this available on any other Online streaming service besides Sony?
Not on Prime as yet, and couldn't find it on Neestream as well (such a buggy app!).
Old 1st November 2021, 09:48   #2079
KPR
BANNED

Rathna Prapancha 3/5. After seeing reviews in this thread I had watched this movie. It has some exceptional scenes and many average ones. Somehow movie kept me glued to screen despite many obvious lapses.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:48   #2080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Is this available on any other Online streaming service besides Sony?
Not on Prime as yet, and couldn't find it on Neestream as well (such a buggy app!).
Guess it's available only on Sony. Couldn't find anywhere else.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 17:15   #2081
BHPian

Thimiram (Malayalam) - Gem of a sleeper movie. Vishak Nair has aced his role. A very difficult watch at times due to its no-holds-barred treatment.

Last edited by WindRide : 1st November 2021 at 17:26.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 13:00   #2082
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Watch Jai Bhim on Prime last night.

Hard hitting social drama but takes from Visaaranai etc. The performance from the lead actors was very good.

In the end credits, was surprised to learn this was based on a true story.
m8002? is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 17:23   #2083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
In the end credits, was surprised to learn this was based on a true story.
I am halfway through the movie, will finish it tonight. But whatever I have seen till now has been a very realistic and hard hitting representation of reality. I have seen how cruel our cops can sometimes be, either in pursuit, or in convenient construction of truth. The movie has got its foundations right.

As for the movie being based on real events, here is an article about the same:

Link
Quote:
Justice K Chandru, the inspiration for Suriya’s character in recent Tamil film ‘Jai Bhim’, shares his experience of the judicial system in fighting for the disadvantaged
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 07:17   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Jai Bhim (I'll rate it 4.5/5) is the boldest Tamil movie I have seen, and am surprised the makers have pulled it off without any controversy, or sloganeering from certain segments of society. The abuse that is heaped on weaker sections is shown very well, and kudos to all the actors for holding my attention in a vice-like grip. The stark reality is hard hitting, and drives home the point. Amazon Prime is showing us some incredible stuff while Netflix has fallen prey to the Karan Johars and the Anurag Kashyaps of the world. Their latest - 'Call My Agent', being one such example. Coming back to Jai Bhim, though I didn't get the language and depended on subs, Suriya blew my mind with his performance. kudos to him for this masterpiece
Attached Thumbnails
The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20211104-7.07.49-am.png  

Sebring is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 08:41   #2085
BHPian

Jai Bheem on Prime
Rating 4.5/5

Watched this movie in Telugu with English subtitles on Prime without seeing any YouTube reviews or reading anything about it and it was a numbing experience. Kudos to Suriya and the entire team for making a hard hitting movie. To know, at the end credits, that it was a true story truly makes it one unforgettable experience.

Lijomol Jose, the main female "lead" does a phenomenal job as someone seeking justice and Rajisha Vijayan too provides able support to the movie that has stalwarts like Prakash Raj & Rao Ramesh (a versatile Telugu actor).
The movie belongs to Suriya who plays the role rather subdued and brings an intensity to his performance.
Ithaca is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks