Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 21:51   #1996
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Anugraheethan Antony - Malayalam - Amazon Prime - 3/5*

It's a feel good movie. Not much negatives. The story is narrated in the view point of soul which is suppose to leave earth in 7days after the death. You can watch this movie with your family and I'm sure most of the female audience will like it.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 21:36   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
If you like Malik, do watch Dhanush starrer Vada Chennai by Vetrimaran, which is available on Hotstar. Similar story line, with more emphasis on crime and executed much better if you ask me!.
Thanks for suggesting Vada Chennai, it's a brilliant piece. A five star movie. Any other good gangster or crime thrillers? Do suggest
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:19   #1998
Distinguished - BHPian

Anugraheethan Antony-Sunny Wayne-Malayalam-Prime: The central theme is an interesting one, beyond that it is a '2hrs to spend, nothing else to do' one time watch. Some nice scenery, couple of cute dogs, mostly good performances apart from Sunny Wayne himself who struggles. Couple of songs are good.

Rating: 2/5
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:23   #1999
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Thanks for suggesting Vada Chennai, it's a brilliant piece. A five star movie. Any other good gangster or crime thrillers? Do suggest
My recommendation to you will be Pudupettai. It's available in youtube for free and in prime.

Last edited by KPR : 22nd July 2021 at 10:24.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:16   #2000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
My recommendation to you will be Pudupettai. It's available in Youtube for free and in prime.
+1 for Pudupettai. The others that I would recommend are:
1. Jigarthanda
2. Subramaniyapuram
3. Aaranya kaandam
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:32   #2001
BHPian

I am the first to pot on Sarpatta Parambarai. Among the best in recent times. Kudos to Ranjit for honestly sticking to the story and the best casting ever. I don't remember any other movie where every single actor is given space and scored full. And all technicians did wonderful job. I am not a boxing fan, but many of the boxing sequences make us feel the fire. Ranjit has shown boxing is not a game of blood but grit. Don't miss.

Negative? If I have to necessarily find one, its the second half. The film could have happily ended with first half.
vivek_lo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:51   #2002
BHPian

Ikkat: Kannada movie on Prime. Genre : Corona Comedy

It has a low budget web series vibe to it. Includes many relatable scenes especially for urban dwellers and more so for people residing in Bangalore. We liked it.

Personal Recommendation:
Avoid/Watchable/Watch

30 weds 21: Telugu web series/Movie on Youtube. Genre : Corona Comedy

Started off as web weries - it was very popular- later published as a movie. It was interesting for first couple of episodes but personally lost interest after that - in fact haven't completed it. Again includes many relatable scenes especially for urban dwellers.

Personal Recommendation:
Avoid/Watchable/Watch

Last edited by somspaple : 23rd July 2021 at 18:56.
somspaple is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:55   #2003
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sarpatta Parambarai - Tamil with English Subtitles

One of the better sports dramas in Indian cinema. A comeback movie of sorts for both Arya and Pa Ranjith, who has got his mojo back finally after 'Madras'. A raw piece of work about Boxing set in the 80's.

Brilliant characterization, screenplay and tempo. The initial second half felt bit lazy but the film ended brilliantly. Excellent technical stuff. Running on Amazon Prime

4.5/5

Last edited by bharanidharang : 23rd July 2021 at 18:55. Reason: Added platform
Old 24th July 2021, 21:23   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Sarpatta Parambarai - Tamil with English Subtitles

One of the better sports dramas in Indian cinema. A comeback movie of sorts for both Arya and Pa Ranjith, who has got his mojo back finally after 'Madras'. A raw piece of work about Boxing set in the 80's.

Brilliant characterization, screenplay and tempo. The initial second half felt bit lazy but the film ended brilliantly. Excellent technical stuff. Running on Amazon Prime

4.5/5
Absolutely loved the movie! One of the better Tamil movies off late after a slew of disappointments like Jagame thandiram etc. I thought the director had chosen the right set of actors and that’s half the job done! The cast is very fresh, the actors who play Vembuli and Dancing rose are just so real! I’m sure both these guys will do well in the future! A sort of comeback for Arya, I have seen another brilliant movie by him known as “magamuni” and he has constantly proven that he wants to go beyond his looks!
If I have to pick one shortcoming in this movie, it’s the length, should have been around 2 hours.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 09:28   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

Enjoyed Sarapatta Parambarai . Great acting. The boxing matches were well staged and the period was recreated nicely. Of course to understand the underlying political messaging, one needs to be familiar with the politics of the time. Much much better than the other boxing based movie that came out last week. Faran Akhtar's Toofan.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:55   #2006
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikkat-Kannada-Prime: Yet another lockdown movie, but unlike the ones so far (mostly in Malayalam) which were mostly in the thriller, relationship study types which are cinematically great but end up making you even more depressed, this one was a fun watch. Some genuinely funny laugh aloud moments. You can probably guess where it will all end up, but the situations leading up to it was enjoyable. Not familiar with the cast, but all of them did a good job.

Rating: 4/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 26th July 2021 at 10:58.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:56   #2007
Team-BHP Support

Sarpatta Parambarai - Tamil (Amazon Prime)

To be honest, not being familiar with political history, and also unable to follow the pace of the Tamil dialect used, i was feeling a bit disinterested in the movie initially. Somewhere in between the pace picked up, and maintained the tempo right to the end. Kept me engrossed, and with wifey gently guiding me on the events of political significance it began to make sense.

Great cast - even beyond the main folks involved (the boxers). The lady who played Arya's wife - such a strong character, and so genuine. Vembuli and Dancing Rose - just brilliant. And lets not forget Daddy, the coach and also Arya. Full marks to the team, for creating the period in which the movie was shot, as well as the fight sequences which evoke a sense of involvement.

I disliked a certain point in the movie in which it felt like too many things happening, as well as the movie feeling dragged out more than necessary. Could easily have been atleast 30-45 mins shorter.

Great watch, nevertheless. Also the rap music 'Neeye Oli', now playing on my Spotify playlist.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:57   #2008
BHPian

Sarpatta Parambarai: Tamil movie on Prime. Genre : Action/Drama

Loved it. Of course it has the usual 'golata' [Kannada word describing : outward expression of grief; esp., a weeping or wailing; lamentation.]. If you can watch through it or fast forward some of these scenes - it is a wonderful watch.

Personal Recommendation:
Avoid/Watchable/Watch

On the contrary..

Toofan: Hindi movie on Prime. Genre : Action/Drama

Another boxing related movie. I can only say that couldn't sit through the whole movie - had to switch to something else. I'm glad that I did- that's how ended up watching Sarpatta Parambarai.

Personal Recommendation:
Avoid/Watchable/Watch
somspaple is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 06:43   #2009
Team-BHP Support

Anugraheethan Antony - Malayalam (Amazon Prime)

Alright, let me keep it short. Avoid! I dragged my wife and daughter to watch this saying this is a family type movie, and should be a good evening watch. Add that the story also revolved around puppies and surely you couldn't get it wrong. But they did.

Sunny Wayne, who is usually quite watchable and easy-going with his acting felt strained. Siddique felt wasted, IMHO. Supporting characters were included for the sake of it, and to me the whole ensemble just didn't fit in. The movie failed to evoke any sort of sadness or longing in me.

The light hearted village sequences were the only saving grace.

If i really needed to spend two hours watching a Malayalam movie from recent times... i suppose i would watch Sara's again.

Rating : 1.5/5
Old 27th July 2021, 12:56   #2010
BHPian

Ikkat is worth a watch and a good light hearted movie. Acting of all the 5 characters is enjoyable. Good for a weekday or weekend watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks