Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 20:15   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
However I can also see a few who would find the performance inadequate with the passage of time and wish to upgrade. Just as an Enfield rider who will upgrade to a Triumph. Triumph, any plans for a bigger Bonneville?

The Thruxton set my heart beating a lot faster than the Bonnie but it wasn't available for a test ride. I would be curious to try them both out back to back and see the difference.
You got that right, its a superb all rounder. If you are looking for raw power and performance, then Bonnie is probably not for you. Even Ninja 650 is faster in a straight drag and so you should be looking at Speed Triple or maybe Yamaha FZ
Old 7th May 2014, 21:05   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
Ram,

As far your request goes for pictures, feast your eyes on these for now.
Hi Shyam,

The showroom look lovely. Spacious and pleasing décor as well. How about some pictures of the Workshop/Service area as well.

Definitely try and visit you on my next visit to Kerala in July.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
Old 7th May 2014, 21:41   #1068
BHPian

Triumph is a different world altogether in biking world. So I thought of sharing few pics which I clicked during Auto Expo
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-1781590_679464432110421_2100854777_o.jpg  

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-1547935_681474745242723_714238478_o.jpg  

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-1780993_681474775242720_735826013_o.jpg  

mandhir.s.bajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 22:42   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram,

The color scheme that you see on the insignia is the new corporate image for Triumph motorcycles around the globe. Old White and blue combo is out and Black and white is in. Triumph launched this new color scheme first in India and now the rest of world is upgrading their store to the new look.

As far your request goes for pictures, feast your eyes on these for now.
Looks great . You also happen to have lot of Bonnies in stock!
Will drop in this weekend or so!

Can you also copy a OTR price list of the bikes? Lost the one I got.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:19   #1070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The color scheme that you see on the insignia is the new corporate image for Triumph motorcycles around the globe.
Thats a fantastic showroom you have opened in Kerala. Congratulations. The space is quite huge and much bigger than what we have in Hyderabad.

Iam sure the customers will have a wonderful experience enjoying the Triumph bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You also happen to have lot of Bonnies in stock!
More of less same strategy by all dealers as Bonnies are flying off the shelf more than any other model of Triumph

Dr. Awesomeoness can correct me if iam wrong
Old 8th May 2014, 13:09   #1071
BHPian

So here are some pics of the mumbai store. Taken just before closing last night. It's a bit out of the way on the highway but v well located for people taking test rides. Kudos to Vivek and team. They are a bunch of passionate bikers. If the parent company gets its act right, this mumbai dealer will do well

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0016.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0019.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0013.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0010.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0009.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0014.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0012.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0017.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0018.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140508wa0011.jpg

nice layout. Check out the time line display.

Have test ridden most of the bikes on offer

the bonneville is a sweet handling easy to ride bike
the t100 and Thruxton look absolutely stunning
the bird and rocket sound incredible
the tiger 800xc is amazing to ride. My choice of the lot. It's the suv of motorcycles.......
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 17:38   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
the t100 and Thruxton look absolutely stunning
the tiger 800xc is amazing to ride. My choice of the lot. It's the suv of motorcycles.
I would agree with this. My top two from the lineup would be the Thruxton and the Tiger.

Did you get the chance to ride both? Is there a difference in the way the Bonneville and the Thruxton ride?
Old 8th May 2014, 19:34   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
I would agree with this. My top two from the lineup would be the Thruxton and the Tiger.

Did you get the chance to ride both? Is there a difference in the way the Bonneville and the Thruxton ride?
Could not ride the thruxton. It was already sold to a customer and it did not seem right. They have 1 bike in each range for test ride.

So you can test ride:
Classics: Bonnie
Cruiser: Thunderbird Storm
Adventure: Tiger 800XC
Sport: Daytona, Street and Speed Triple

Rode the bonnie, the tiger and the street triple

My mate finally picked up the bonnie after vacillating between the bonnie, t100 and thruxton

The first bike to be delivered from the showroom on 2nd May 2014 (not the first to be delivered in mumbai

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-20140502_185308.jpg
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:09   #1074
Senior - BHPian

If anyone of you are waiting for your Triumphs,head over to Zauba.com,enter the HS Code as 87115000 and filter out the Triumphs.

You will get the date of shipment(or arrival) VIN number,port and pre-duty price( which for a Bonneville is 1.58L)

I got this website from the Supercar section,very useful!

Was surprised to see the Bonnevilles sold here are Thai made.

Last edited by avishar : 9th May 2014 at 16:11.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:12   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
A lot of parts of CKD bikes - Bonnie, Street & Speed Triple, Daytona are imported from Thailand because of free trade agreement between india and thai.

Does Bonnie cost 1.58L without duties for Triumph India?
It could be just an engine costing 1.58L.

That website gives lot of information regarding imports. I can see Kawasaki imported 36 Z800 in the month of April at 3.62L pre duty price per bike.

Last edited by djay99 : 9th May 2014 at 16:25.
Old 9th May 2014, 18:23   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a difference in the way the Bonneville and the Thruxton ride?
Even Iam keen to ride the Thruxton to understand how different it rides from a Bonnie considering both come with same engine except that its engine fires at 270 degrees compared to Bonnie's 360 degrees which apparently gives it a slight advantage in quicker accelaration

Besides above, its a complete cafe racer and iam doubtful if it can be comfortable for long distance riding with those handle bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Bonneville is completely made in Thailand from Triumph's own manafacturing facility from several years now and not just Bonnie but, some other models and its parts are also made in Thailand
Old 9th May 2014, 18:39   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Even Iam keen to ride the Thruxton to understand how different it rides from a Bonnie considering both come with same engine except that its engine fires at 270 degrees compared to Bonnie's 360 degrees which apparently gives it a slight advantage in quicker accelaration

Besides above, its a complete cafe racer and iam doubtful if it can be comfortable for long distance riding with those handle bars

Bonneville is completely made in Thailand from Triumph's own manafacturing facility from several years now and not just Bonnie but, some other models and its parts are also made in Thailand
Avi, its the Scrambler that has a different firing order , Thruxton and Bonneville are both 360deg now . The earlier models had a compression difference. Most notable difference is the rear set foot-pegs and lower handlebars. This gives a completely different feel to the riding position.

I did experiment on same( aggressive actually ) lines of thruxton handlebars DIY, but found out very soon that i need to exercise my lower back before i embark on such mods . Rear set(and higher too) footpegs will help in more lean angle too.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 19:17   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting points.

Today I took my bike in to the Bangalore dealer for servicing - basically an oil/filter change, Brake Fluid change, Chain Cleaning, EMC Evaluation and the like.

Whilst there, I noted some difference between the Bonney SE & T100 on display there and my bike - mainly on the exhaust system
  • In the India Bonney's there is a balancing pipe connecting the Pipes. This is not there in my bike
  • The India bikes the cat converter is end portion of the pipe just before it enters the can - In mine the cat converters are in the middle of the pipe (somewhere in the area below the gear lever.
The Service Manager (Prasanna) confirmed this after checking my bike over.

He said that Mapping must be allowing this that the pipes are being balanced independently. He said he will confirm this after he looks at the map, during the EMC eval,

Actually the whole checking started when the Service centre mechanics asked me why my pipes were blueing in the area below the gear lever. (In India ones it blues at the bend and at the point where the pipe enters the can - In mine it blues at 3 places - middle is the additional point).

It wa really nice of Keerthi Motors to take in my bike for service and support, inspite of it being a direct import. A big thanks to them

I don't know if this is a common practice with other higher end bikes as well ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 19:41   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I don't know if this is a common practice with other higher end bikes as well ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thats nice of them.

At Rebel Motors-Triumph Hyd, the very first bike that they were servicing was a Daytona import. Mine was the 1st bike that was sold from the showroom to have come for scheduled 1st service after their opening.

Most of the staff were at Gurgaon for their technical training during that period, yet no time was wasted by the support service staff in prepping both bikes, instead of waiting for their Service incharge return. This ensured that no time was lost, the Service head returned to supervise the jobs, both bikes were delivered within 24hrs.

They were even courteous enough to allow me to take the tank and fenders for a paintjob whilst the bike was awaiting service. Had also taken the Handlebar for a bar-end mirrors jugaad using the stock parts . Remove and refit of the parts was done at showroom itself for a very reasonable fee.
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img20140403wa0032-1.jpg

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 9th May 2014 at 19:52.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 23:54   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Street Triple
First thing you notice about the Street Triple is how compact the motorcycle is. In terms of length, it would be similar to my Duke 390 and just a little bit wider which makes it very compact for a 100 bhp machine. Once it gets moving, the weight also falls off and the flick-ability is pretty decent. However, you need lots of revs for the motorcycle to feel it has 100 bhp on tap and in the city, I could only take it high in the rev range in the 2nd gear and had to immediately slow down due to traffic. Maybe, riding the Street on the highway will give a better picture of its performance. Also, I did not find the refinement at city speeds that great. There was this constant whine coming from the engine which was a bit irritating and this was the only thing I could hear and not the three cylinder burble. I asked the sales rep about this and he said that the whine is normal which I found a bit strange. Also, overall quality was okayish for a motorcycle costing this much and I found the meter console a bit tacky with those blue rpm lights. The riding position isn't that aggressive and requires you to only lean forward slightly to reach the handlebars with the pegs being slightly rear set. The operation of the levers was smooth but the gears were a bit clunky to shift, again signifying that it requires more revs to be enjoyable. IMHO, the motorcycle is similar in feel to the Duke 390 but its performance envelope ensures that you can only exploit it properly on an open road (my 2p).

Bonneville
What a motorcycle! You never expect it to be this enjoyable after looking at it. The refinement, the flick-ability, the performance, the braking all absolutely top notch for something which looks like this. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love retro British motorcycles but I never expected them to perform like a modern motorcycle. Enjoyed every bit of the few kms that I rode at speeds ranging from 20 to 80 kmph in the city. The torque just keeps on coming in 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th and then 5th. The riding position is very relaxed but the suspension is quite stiff as I could feel every crack and undulation on the road but it was not annoying. It may be just me or the settings on the two bikes, but I found the Street a bit more supple in terms of ride quality. The metal parts were finished brilliantly but the overall quality of the plastics was okayish. At idle, it has a distinct two cylinder burble but once you get moving and with the surrounding traffic noise, it does get difficult to hear the Bonneville as its quite silent on the move. However, I had an absolute blast riding the Bonneville and I can't say the same about the Street. On an open road or a highway, may be the situation would have been different. In fact, my brother also rode both these motorcycles and came to the same conclusion and yes, he is quite younger to me.
Thanks for the sharp comparison. Today i took the test ride of both the Motorcycles back to back. And to my pleasure it was no contest as per what i wanted from my Bike. Triple was just fabulous Man.

I was also presuming there will be some lack of torque & power at low rpm.
But with my experience on the bike i enjoyed every single second on it. Its powerful & most importantly compact and easy to handle.

And you guys were right, these two are totally different bikes. May be i have some repulsion for heavier bike or something else i didn't feel excited with the T100. To me T100 wins over street triple only on beauty hands down, esp with that black-maroon colour, triple is not really that attractive IMO. But looks was not my top priority anyways.

I am all set to book the Triple now. Dealer has told me a wait of 90 days which is very disappointing, Anything you guys suggest i can do to get it quicker?
three months is really too long. Little bit confused in choosing the colour also.
I thought i will go for white, but in flesh white not that good as black...i thought otherwise.

Will post more once i book it probably tomorrow or monday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks