Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 01:01   #4891
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I have a technical question. Are the Civics and Accord's rear brake rotor/pad of the same size? I want to upgrade the brakes on my civic to bigger one for more stopping power. And I was wondering if the accord has bigger brake, and if so, can it fit into Civic too? Mine has 17" wheels and have rather plenty of space for much bigger brakes. The stock disc rotor/pad on the rear is small and is more obvious with the larger alloys. However, my main intention is to have better brakes without completely overhauling the whole braking systems (say with brembo or other expensive brands)
Old 5th October 2013, 18:06   #4892
Senior - BHPian

I got my wheel balancing and alignment done today, but I am not satisfied with the results. The shop said this is the best that can be done on Civic.

Please see the before and after reading in the report and advice. Many values seem to be out of recommended range.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photoart_10052013175331.jpg d
Old 6th October 2013, 09:09   #4893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Do we have a similar chart for pre facelift model aswell ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Even I would like to know the same. Mine is the 2006 version...which I bought in 2007 just before the first facelift.

Here you go, the launch time specs;
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-specs.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-features.jpg
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 11:27   #4894
BHPian

Mine is a 2008 V AT, still not sure what are all the goodies i am missing apart from Cruise Control, paddle shifting in D mode and USB support.

Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ? I always wanted that in my car but missed that.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:35   #4895
BANNED

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ? I always wanted that in my car but missed that.
I always thought it will be useless. A drive on the Yamuna Expressway in July converted me. We were driving a City AVN and the cruise control was a real boon. You will notice that 100jkph by GPS will show up at 103-105kph on the odo -normal.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:24   #4896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I always thought it will be useless. A drive on the Yamuna Expressway in July converted me. We were driving a City AVN and the cruise control was a real boon. You will notice that 100jkph by GPS will show up at 103-105kph on the odo -normal.
Large parts of Rajasthan and some other roads (such as NH7/AH44 between Hyderabad and Bengaluru) are also great for cruise control.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th October 2013, 22:41   #4897
BHPian

Need a quick advice. Couple of days back my 2006 70k kms done Civic's rpms stopped going past 2.5k. Got it checked at Honda SVC, they said throttle body needs to be replaced as it is regular wear and tear as there is some problem with the 'butterfly' in the throttle body.
The car is fitted with a BMC cold air intake and custom exhaust. They quoted Rs. 45k for the job! I politely declined and took the car back.

Now few queries.
What route shall I take to get this fixed?
Is it possible to get a 'performance' throttle body? If yes, then what make at what price?
Can't this get repaired? Will a repaired throttle body impact performance?

Just need an advice on a VFM solution that should not compromise on performance.
Old 7th October 2013, 23:43   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
throttle body needs to be replaced as it is regular wear and tear
I don't think it is a 'regular-wear-and tear' item.

Quote:
The car is fitted with a BMC cold air intake and custom exhaust.
Could this (non-Honda) fitment be the reason for the failure?
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 23:49   #4899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I don't think it is a 'regular-wear-and tear' item.

Could this (non-Honda) fitment be the reason for the failure?
No idea. This was fitted two years back at Speedsport. Honda SVC state the throttle body gets replaced at 70k-80k kms. Not sure about their authencity though.
Old 8th October 2013, 02:25   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need a quick advice. Couple of days back my 2006 70k kms done Civic's rpms stopped going past 2.5k. Got it checked at Honda SVC, they said throttle body needs to be replaced as it is regular wear and tear as there is some problem with the 'butterfly' in the throttle body.
The car is fitted with a BMC cold air intake and custom exhaust. They quoted Rs. 45k for the job! I politely declined and took the car back.

Now few queries.
What route shall I take to get this fixed?
Is it possible to get a 'performance' throttle body? If yes, then what make at what price?
Can't this get repaired? Will a repaired throttle body impact performance?

Just need an advice on a VFM solution that should not compromise on performance.
Throttle body replacement? ASS reported a similar diagnosis on our car which refused to go beyond 80!

We had the throttle body fully serviced and the 02 senor replaced.
They also replaced the Air filter, and a few other things cleaned and replaced including the engine oil, radiator etc.
After this the car is close to normal.
Old 8th October 2013, 04:03   #4901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the normal usages mentioned above, I also use it at times, to give the right foot some 'rest' during the longer runs. Instead of taking foot off the gas, we can slot in the cruise, and the speed can be maintained.
It is definitely a value add feature to have, if possible.

Other than that, if you want to maintain a specific speed without having to bother checking the odometer, this is a boon.
As in, speed limited sections, or for mileage sensitive drives.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:55   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Honda SVC state the throttle body gets replaced at 70k-80k kms. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
...We had the throttle body fully serviced and the 02 senor replaced. They also replaced the Air filter, and a few other things cleaned and replaced including the engine oil, radiator etc...
A S S and their parts marketing strategies....damn
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 15:36   #4903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I have a technical question. Are the Civics and Accord's rear brake rotor/pad of the same size? I want to upgrade the brakes on my civic to bigger one for more stopping power. And I was wondering if the accord has bigger brake, and if so, can it fit into Civic too? Mine has 17" wheels and have rather plenty of space for much bigger brakes. The stock disc rotor/pad on the rear is small and is more obvious with the larger alloys. However, my main intention is to have better brakes without completely overhauling the whole braking systems (say with brembo or other expensive brands)
I'm not sure about the rear, but the front brake pads are ALMOST same. Last time I had checked with a dealer (Spare-mart) in delhi.
Why don't you try Mintex brake pads instead of getting all the rotors/pads chaged with that of Accord ?
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 16:27   #4904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm not sure about the rear, but the front brake pads are ALMOST same. Last time I had checked with a dealer (Spare-mart) in delhi.
Why don't you try Mintex brake pads instead of getting all the rotors/pads chaged with that of Accord ?
Thanks for chipping in. I want to change all the four pads + bigger rotors (preferably to cross-drilling rotors i.e, ones with holes). I found a few Mintex pads + discs (all four) for Civic FN2 in ebay.uk for some 150 pounds. Couldn't find anything on FD1. I contacted Spare-mat too and they only have the original honda OEM brakes.
Old 10th October 2013, 22:26   #4905
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ?
Cruise control was one of the deciding reasons why I bought Civic. Corolla had it only in automatic.

I do use it on long drives in NH7, when I get empty stretch. It is not usable in zig-zag movements though. However, I think when you are on cruise control, engine rpm is bit higher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks