Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 21:02   #151
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Thanks Ben for the input.

Shaju, thats a great car you have bought, i like that color. Are the airbags and the alloys the only addons to the SXI version, when compared to ZXI?
the sxi does not come with alloys anymore. the only fiesta variant which comes with alloys is the 1.6 S. in addition to the zxi features, the sxi variant gets 2 airbags, leather interiors, leather covered steering wheel, turn indicators on ORVM and fake wood inserts in dashboard.
also the a very subtle difference is that the sxi has a chrome surround on the radiator grill as opposed to the zxi body coloured surround.

Old 25th July 2009, 22:14   #152
BHPian

Ford has launched a version called SXI Premium which comes with alloys. Got the info from a sales guy. August 1st week, Metro Ford would be getting this verson in their showroom, according to him.
Old 25th July 2009, 23:40   #153
superveloce

Quote:
Ford has launched a version called SXI Premium which comes with alloys. Got the info from a sales guy. August 1st week, Metro Ford would be getting this verson in their showroom, according to him.
well dats a cool update. i was informed by the sales guy last week when i went in for a testdrive that a revised sxi variant was on its way sometime in august. does the sxi premium sit over the sxi in ford's product portfolio or replace the sxi? any update about the alloys? 14" or 15"?
im in the market for a frugal diesel burner and though i love the 1.6 S to the core, im going to have to go in for a 1.4 tdci.

Old 26th July 2009, 12:05   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
upgrade to High Security Reg Plates as that would improve the look of your car tremendously. also you could try painting the middle part of the bumper black a la 1.6 S.
oh nd one last thing when i last test drove the fiesta at a dealer here in mumbai, i was told that if you change the stock tyres or rims (as in either the profile or upsize) you would lose out on your warranty.
I will check the high security plate stuff. Painting the bumper may not be of my interest, as I just love the way it looks now, also black paint on an aquarius blue 1.6 S might be a great look, but may not be on a Morello, which is arleady dark enough.
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-13.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
you forgot to mention that we can store a 1 litre bisleri bottle even on the driver's door.
Sorry, I found one at the driver's door too ! My grey cells again !!

Quote:
And i feel only 2 people can sit comfortably at the rear, Are my observations true? Fiesta comes with a Hydraulic power streeing, isnt it? Have any of you felt that an electronic one would have done better at any point of time?
If a wagonR can accomodate 3 at the back seat without much issues, I am sure 3 on a fiesta rear seat would be a comfortable fit, not pressing each other. Again it depends on the size of each body. While checking Linea rear seat of my neighbour, I was hitting my head on the roof side each time he took a small turn on the road. So it was very painful. I never hit my head in a fiesta ! About the power steering, its just perfect for a fiesta, cant complain. My parking space is a bit difficult one to enter and reverse, never felt any issue so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz Shaju, she is a looker. Enjoy the drive!
Oh thanks Jagguji.

Quote:
Are the airbags and the alloys the only addons to the SXI version, when compared to ZXI?
The new SXI will be coming with the alloys, few cosmetic touches here and there; with the previous SXI airbags, chrome touches on the front and rear, side indicator on the ORVMs, chrome touched side strips, leather steering cover, gear knob and hand brake leather covers, fake wood inserts on dashboard and may be few more things which are not known to the dealers yet.
================================================== ======

Weekend drives around the city, ODO is now 90 kms. Got an overall feel of the car so far. Outer ring road, I could touch 100 kmph without any strain.

Few more things I noticed: RPM is at 1000 whenever the car is waiting at a signal with the brakes engaged, is it normal ? I thought it should be on ZERO at idle. May be due to this, when we get the green, slot it into FIRST and release the clutch, car is already moving ahead without accelerator, even in a slightly upward slope. Its not a powerful move, but steady.

Another point is what I had mentioned earlier about the flexible, fragile feel of the front bumper, under the head light area specially. Its the same on other fiestas too, I checked it on 4 other cars in my compound. Means, on a very minor hit or scratch, the front bumper could be broken into pieces. Is something missing here ?

Now about the rear fog lamps. When do we need that ? Its also mentioned in the manual that it should not be used while raining or snowing. I wonder when is this really used by other owners.

Feel of the ABS. Does it come as a small vibration only when you do hard braking ? I couldnt feel this anytime during my 60 km drive, though there were 3 or 4 instances I had to brake hard to avoid fruit-wallahs on hand-pulled carts at unexpected (totally wrong side of the road) junctions and corners. Now how to make sure the ABS is working ?

Few words about my registration number now. I didnt request for any paid numbers or fancy digits as it was enquired by the dealer twice before registration. But I got a very meaningful number purely by luck. Each digit has a meaning, so I am explaining here. Please tolerate me

KA 04 MG 3372

KA = Location
04 = My fourth car
M = Month
G = 7th alphabet = 7th month = July (7 is my luckiest number and my birth date, also wife's birth month)
3 = I have a 3 year old boy
3 = I have a 3 months old girl
72 = My year of Birth

If I take the middle 2 digits of 3372, thats my present age too ! Although personal details are not shared here, I love to give a thumps up to any team-bhpian on road. So now you can spot me very easily.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:31   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Few more things I noticed: RPM is at 1000 whenever the car is waiting at a signal with the brakes engaged, is it normal ? I thought it should be on ZERO at idle. May be due to this, when we get the green, slot it into FIRST and release the clutch, car is already moving ahead without accelerator, even in a slightly upward slope. Its not a powerful move, but steady.
Firstly congrats on the new additon.she looks lovely and i know how one feels after a drive in 1.6 (i own a ikon 1.6)

to answer the above , RPM is only zero when the engine is turned off. if the engine is on, then RPM needle has to be above zero. the RPM of my 1.6 stays at around 800-900 during the signal stops and yes, the car does pull up as soon as the clutch is released.

Fellow members, am i missing something here too
Old 26th July 2009, 12:48   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Firstly congrats on the new additon.
Thank you Pankaj

Here is a design I liked at the first sight (HR H-166). Please forgive my very basic photoshop work. Hope it conveys my idea. Its just the start of my homework on alloy. Brand, size, finish, budget etc are subjects for the whole of August. Suggestions welcome as always !
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-alloy.jpg
Old 26th July 2009, 13:20   #157
Senior - BHPian

Shaju---the rpm while halting at traffic signals should be 800 rpm, and 900 with AC---this is normal. However when you start the car in the morning, and then idle, the rpm will be a bit higher till the engine heats up.

As regards ABS, I've felt it being deployed less than a dozen times so far in the past 2 yrs 4 months---once on a wet road in city driving, and the rest on the highways while braking at speeds above 100---you can sense it by the rapid vibrations on the brake pedal, and sometimes you also get a sound in accompaniment.
Old 26th July 2009, 15:05   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shaju, congrats on the beauty.
With regards to the rear fog lights, I keep them on when driving in mist/fog or during heavy rains, when visibility is low. I have noticed other drivers switching on their hazard lights but the fog lights are a safer bet.
About ABS, while our fiesta doesn't have ABS, it is recommended as our car used to skid a lot. Once the monsoons set in, the ABS will be very useful, as I have literally had our fiesta skidding a number of times with a very slight reduction in speed.
When the ABS kicks in you should feel the brake pedal pulse as the ABS is trying to prevent the wheels from locking up by releasing the pressure. You can test it out on loose gravel, sand and wet roads under hard braking.
In the States, our Galant has ABS and I have felt it kick in quite a number of times in snowy and water logged roads.
About the bumper, I have no idea if the new fiesta has a weak bumper, but our old shape has taken quite a few scratches and what not without any complain. We have never replaced any of the bumpers.

Also, about the tyres, I think the perfect upsize should be 195/50R15. There shouldn't be any problem with 195/55R15 though. However, in the case of 195/55R15, very few tyres will be available in that size.
I have heard very good reports about Michelin PP and XM1+ and have really liked the MXV8's on a personal level.
Other tyres that are highly recommended are the Yoko S Drives.

Last edited by lamborghini : 26th July 2009 at 15:06.
Old 26th July 2009, 18:53   #159
BHPian

the idle rpm can vary at 1000 and its usual.i also had my doubts initially.
the registration number was quite intresting!!
btw,make sure you get the right PCD for the alloy.you may find many designs but not the right PCD.
the PCD is 108 for fiesta.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:58   #160
superveloce

Quote:
I will check the high security plate stuff. Painting the bumper may not be of my interest, as I just love the way it looks now, also black paint on an aquarius blue 1.6 S might be a great look, but may not be on a Morello, which is arleady dark enough.
well thats your choice buddy. mine was just a suggestion. i agree it looks darn good the way it is. the HSRPs you should really check out.
oh nd check about the wheel changing and warranty issues.

happy motoring in ur beauty.

Old 27th July 2009, 13:11   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
vibrations on the brake pedal, and sometimes you also get a sound in accompaniment.
Hope that sound is not 'THUD THUD, HROOOM, HROOOM, CRASHHHHH'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
rear fog lights, I keep them on when driving in mist/fog or during heavy rains, when visibility is low. ....bumper, I have no idea if the new fiesta has a weak bumper, but our old shape has taken quite a few scratches and what not without any complain. ...perfect upsize should be 195/50R15. There shouldn't be any problem with 195/55R15 though. However, in the case of 195/55R15, very few tyres will be available in that size.
Oh thats against the instructions on the manual, as I posted earlier. Its clearly written that the rear fog lamp is not to be used in the rain or snow. So if thats the case, I dont know why Ford has named it as 'fog lamp' ! It could have been called 'extra tail light', anyway its red in colour. Atleast it can make your car more visible in the night specially if you are followed by a total drunkard. About the bumber, that strength part is yet to be tested in real (though nobody likes to do such tests). Tire upsize, I am thinking of 195/55/R15 which is same as on 1.6 S version, but S version has a tougher suspension though. I dont know if the suspension is in line with the tire profile. Goodyear is the stock tire on S version. Other brands are yet to be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
btw,make sure you get the right PCD for the alloy.you may find many designs but not the right PCD...108 for fiesta.
The design which I have posted above is meant for fiesta, 108 PCD, but yet to confirm if the same PCD comes in 15".

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
check about the wheel changing and warranty issues.
The service guy didnt warn me anything about the warranty, when I discussed with him about my plan to upsize. I have to call up and confirm again. Majority of fiesta owners do their upsize and alloy from outside, not from the dealer. So, I just assume its normal.

Thanks to everyone about the RPM clarification. It was a great relief. Infact I have never noticed the RPM dial in the past, I always thought RPM meter is useful only in the racing cars for the timely gear shifts.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

ShajuFX,

The alloy looks very bling bling! Guess the final out come, with a beau of color, will be wonderful (and yes, your PS skills are not too great! )

And yes, do check with the service guy for the upsize. I am sure all things are fine unless one actually get the point of facing an issue; you will then find that all rules coming into play.

A great work with the registration number!
Old 27th July 2009, 14:45   #163
BHPian

i love the alloys on the 1.6s. i also like the blinged out chrome alloys photoshoped!
Old 27th July 2009, 16:55   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
and yes, your PS skills are not too great !
Its much below the levels of even commenting , professionally I have nothing to do with artwork, though its an inborn thing.

My auto-cop reverse parking sensor is driving me nuts. It never worked even once (except the fitting and testing time) after the installation that happend on Thursday night. Ford accesory guys had installed it. After repeated calls, they came and checked it on Friday 24th night and declared that the main unit socket was spoiled. They promised to come on saturday with a new unit and change parts whatever was faulty.

Next day afternoon, Saturday 25th, I am getting a call from service guys of auto-cop asking for location. They said its too late for the day to reach at my place ( 40 mts is a big time for them !!) and next day sunday being a holiday, the earliest someone can come, is on Monday 27th.

Atlast the auto-cop service guy turns up today around 4pm with a huge backpack etc. I thought, atleast the 4 days waiting is over ! BUT NOOOO. He brought another version main unit which cant be even tested on this. He fiddled with the wiring, boot mats and surroundings for 30 mts and left the place. Now its entering to the 5th day tomorow, promised of a working condition parking sensor before noon.

I really really hope, by the time these idiots finish on the parking sensor, something else should not conk off as they are playing around with the power line that comes to the rear part.

Lesson learned again: Never go for the dealer offered accessories. I would have been a happier man if I went ahead with my plan of calling up redsoul guys for the same. I am sure they are far better than these guys.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:59   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh thats against the instructions on the manual, as I posted earlier. Its clearly written that the rear fog lamp is not to be used in the rain or snow. So if thats the case, I dont know why Ford has named it as 'fog lamp' ! It could have been called 'extra tail light', anyway its red in colour. Atleast it can make your car more visible in the night specially if you are followed by a total drunkard. About the bumber, that strength part is yet to be tested in real (though nobody likes to do such tests). Tire upsize, I am thinking of 195/55/R15 which is same as on 1.6 S version, but S version has a tougher suspension though. I dont know if the suspension is in line with the tire profile. Goodyear is the stock tire on S version. Other brands are yet to be checked.
I doubt the instructions in the manual are for indian conditions, when if it rains heavily, visibility is gone and roads are clogged.
To be on the safe side, i do switch on the fogs in heavy rains.
About the tyres, the only issue is about the beefed up suspension of the 1.6S.
Why not do a search on T-BHP about fiesta tyre sizes and look at member galleries who have put alloys and see what size the alloys are?
I seriously doubt the 195/55R15 would fit, and i think the 195/50R15 would be a better bet.
Also, many owners have expressed difficulty in changing from goodyear due to lack of other brands in that size.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks