Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 21:15   #2911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
the steering started to turn by itself in the direction in which the tyres turned due to the bumps

But is this normal? Pardon my ignorance as I am a complete noob to driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
That is supposed to be one of the strongpoints of Ford driving dynamics - brilliant steering feedback You exactly know what is going down under there.
So the phenomenon is normal........
I never felt a thing in my WagonR - thought it was a problem with the Figo too. Yes - its quite sensitive on rough grounds.

Thanks for bringing that up Anil.
Old 9th July 2010, 21:27   #2912
Senior - BHPian

There are a few things in manual which i could not figure out:
  • Glow plug indicator: It is mentioned in the manual but I could not find any on my instrument cluster. In fact today after reading the manual I decided to wait till the glow plug indicator to go off, but since it never turned on by brain got caught in an infinite loop

Automatic Speed Limiter: All that ford manual says is that the engine speed is limited automatically to save the engine. So what are we to do in this?

I am not able to unscrew the spare wheel

can any one help?
Old 9th July 2010, 22:04   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a few things in manual which i could not figure out:
  • Glow plug indicator: It is mentioned in the manual but I could not find any on my instrument cluster. In fact today after reading the manual I decided to wait till the glow plug indicator to go off, but since it never turned on by brain got caught in an infinite loop

Automatic Speed Limiter: All that ford manual says is that the engine speed is limited automatically to save the engine. So what are we to do in this?

I am not able to unscrew the spare wheel
can any one help?

If your car is the diesel version, it should have a glowplug indicator (usually the symbol is like a spring/spiral). One should start the engine once this indicator goes off. This won't be there if you have a petrol Figo.

Since you talk about "engine speed", I think it means the rev limiter. Basically, the engine cannot be revved beyond a certain limit.

I do not know the mechanism for the spare wheel fastener on the figo, but if it is a metal fastener, try oiling it from the side. Remember, if this is a plastic fastener (i.e. the whole things is plastic, not just the place where you grab it), then do not use oil.
Old 9th July 2010, 22:22   #2914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
If your car is the diesel version, it should have a glowplug indicator (usually the symbol is like a spring/spiral). One should start the engine once this indicator goes off. This won't be there if you have a petrol Figo.
Mine is a diesel version and I dont see any glow plug indicator. Other diesel Figo diesel owners please confirm

Quote:
Since you talk about "engine speed", I think it means the rev limiter. Basically, the engine cannot be revved beyond a certain limit.
thanks, so we cannot set the limit by ourselves!! I am asking because somewhere I remember reading a discussion on this!!

Quote:
I do not know the mechanism for the spare wheel fastener on the figo, but if it is a metal fastener, try oiling it from the side. Remember, if this is a plastic fastener (i.e. the whole things is plastic, not just the place where you grab it), then do not use oil.
it is a plastic cup with a metal fastener, may be I am too delicate in handling it will push it a little harder!

Thanks anyway!
Old 9th July 2010, 22:37   #2915
BHPian

anil, its good fun now that you are enjoying all the niggles!
Old 10th July 2010, 07:06   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a diesel version and I dont see any glow plug indicator. Other diesel Figo diesel owners please confirm

Its there in the dash. Like a spring type icon. I've seen it.

thanks, so we cannot set the limit by ourselves!! I am asking because somewhere I remember reading a discussion on this!!

No - this would be set by the manufacturer. You need to have self restraint by driving within ~2K before your first service. Also go for a long drive so that you subject your engine to a variety of speeds.

it is a plastic cup with a metal fastener, may be I am too delicate in handling it will push it a little harder!

I asked a demo from the showroom before they delivered. Its a looooong screw and you need to keep turning it for quite some time, dont lose patience. Its like that because no rattle should come from the spare wheel assembly.

Thanks anyway!
My opinions in BOLD.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:07   #2917
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Brix;1975535]Its there in the dash. Like a spring type icon. I've seen it.quote]

OK there is another guy like me here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...erve-hype.html

The only thing common is that he did not either find the glow plug indicator, will call the sales person to confirm.

Otherwise it is a very wise car and worth all the hype
Old 10th July 2010, 11:51   #2918
BHPian

Quote:
Some modern cars have a mechanism wherein you can't rev the engine beyond a certain rpm while idle(neutral) to protect the engine.

maybe Figo too has that.

Last edited by Dippy : 10th July 2010 at 12:30. Reason: Editing on request
Old 10th July 2010, 12:01   #2919
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks anyway!
The glow plug indicator has 'coil spring type' look and is there under the ODO. U have to look carefully to find it. There are 4 warning lights under it. From left to right - Reserve fuel warning light, Airbag light, Engine Check light and the last one - 'Glow plug (the one u r looking for) light.' Even mine doesnt light up when i turn on the ignition. This is bcoz the ambient temp doesnt allow it to turn on. Only during winter when the temp will touch below 10*C will it glow for a few seconds to heat up the compressed air.

If it isnt glowing, this doesnt mean u can start the engine instantly like petrols. Wait for the eight chimes, only then start the engine.

And as far as spare wheel is concerned, u need to turn the screw anticlockwise for about a minute to unscrew it because the screw is really very long.
Old 10th July 2010, 19:04   #2920
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

From where did you get the 10 degree Centigrade figure?

The glow plugs of recent times have improved so much that they hardly take any time to pre heat, but only in Figo the warning light is not seen at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
The glow plug indicator has 'coil spring type' look and is there under the ODO. U have to look carefully to find it. There are 4 warning lights under it. From left to right - Reserve fuel warning light, Airbag light, Engine Check light and the last one - 'Glow plug (the one u r looking for) light.' Even mine doesnt light up when i turn on the ignition. This is bcoz the ambient temp doesnt allow it to turn on. Only during winter when the temp will touch below 10*C will it glow for a few seconds to heat up the compressed air.
Sorry for that 'not so good' image!

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-image_248_medium.jpg

These are the only symbols that light up. In Page 38 of the Figo owner's manual the instrument panel image again shows only these three warning lights.

In the description, they do show the glow plug sign which again is described in Page 53. It specifically says to wait until it goes off.

If the low temperature figure is correct, I may never see it glow in my place.

Page 66 mentions a fuse for the glow plug relay. I think I will take a look at it.

Quote:
If it isnt glowing, this doesnt mean u can start the engine instantly like petrols. Wait for the eight chimes, only then start the engine.
I just switch the ignition on and put my seat belt on. All that music would be over by then. When you crank it again gives a beep when the ABS light glows for a second!

Last edited by trrk : 10th July 2010 at 19:05.
Old 11th July 2010, 09:57   #2921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

From where did you get the 10 degree Centigrade figure?
I got that figure from here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1919606-post147.html

Read under THINGS NOTICED in this post.

I live in Chandigarh. And here in winters temperature touches 0*C in winters. And in that kind of temperature, glow plug is bound to work.

Even my 27 years old ISUZU car has one and it glows.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-100_4313.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-isuzu-no.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel lover : 11th July 2010 at 09:59.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:47   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

The glow plugs of recent times have improved so much that they hardly take any time to pre heat, but only in Figo the warning light is not seen at all.

Sorry for that 'not so good' image!

Attachment 384768
and having a closer look, the dash does have a provision for a glow plug, it indeed is the fourth light after the "engine check light" but just that it does not glow. Going by the 10*C rule it may take quite sometime for it to glow, so I would rather have my service engineer check it in my first service
Old 11th July 2010, 11:22   #2923
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Read under THINGS NOTICED in this post.

Even my 27 years old ISUZU car has one and it glows.
There is no mention of a particular temperature there and will it be 10 degree Centigrade at Coorg in June?

If it is indeed temperature dependant, this is the first car to have it.

Hey, Fiesta owners, does your glow plug indicator glow when you switch your ignitions on?

Quote:
Going by the 10*C rule it may take quite sometime for it to glow, so I would rather have my service engineer check it in my first service
My old eyes did not catch the fourth light. No harm in getting it checked.

There is no starting problem if I start after all the alarm bills stop!
Old 11th July 2010, 20:08   #2924
BHPian

post first service update

I have driven 649kms post first service tank full before the low fuel indicator come ON. Haven't refilled it yet.

Thats anywhere 16-17kmpl as of now.
The drive includes 40%highway & 60% city, about hours drive with A/C at 2 fully loaded on afternoon.

Last 100kms were at max milage highway run - below 80 and in 5th gear as much as possible, Not to forget the last Friday morning jam on ORR, it took me 2 hrs to reach work.

I do see that If I drive in max milage mode it does return good number - I can do 300+ kms per qrtr on fuel guage (it as 3 qrtrs) otherwise its usually 200kms.

BTW, The glow plug has come ON once in the morning. Its right below dte text.

I feel the Figo rear shocks should have been a bit stiffer.

If anybody has read the EW contract text printed at back page, it says it covers 3 yrs for body rust!!! And why do they call it "MAZDA blah blah" for model in the certificate ?
Old 11th July 2010, 20:40   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
There is no mention of a particular temperature there and will it be 10 degree Centigrade at Coorg in June? If it is indeed temperature dependant, this is the first car to have it.
Actually it glows indicating that the air is being heated since the outside temp is low. I intentionally wrote 10*C since at this temp the glow plug indicator is bound to work. Let winters hit Chd. I'll update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks