Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 20:41   #2986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
According to Wikipedia -
A Ford Figo lost control and skid into an embankment near Dhapoli Maharashtra wounding the driver and killing three bystanders. Further investigation revealed that the car's brake master cylinder, a crucial piece of a car's braking system, was almost fully rusted. Senior investigators believe that the vehicle was not adequately designed for salty, humid air. The Figo's master cylinder as well as most of the frame is lifted from the previous generation Ford Fiesta which was primarily sold in Europe. Despite the tragity, Ford Motor India has not publicly addressed the issue.

Ford Figo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not saying the accident didn't happen but the reason given is just ridiculous. Do they think that there is no rusty air, seaside areas or moisture in Europe? Half of Holland is reclaimed from the sea and UK is a bunch of Islands where it rains most of the time.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:36   #2987
BHPian

This thread has touched 200 pages (again?).

^^True - salty, polluted, dirty air occur not just in India. In fact India is a sort of average of all extremes.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:58   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I'm not saying the accident didn't happen but the reason given is just ridiculous. Do they think that there is no rusty air, seaside areas or moisture in Europe? Half of Holland is reclaimed from the sea and UK is a bunch of Islands where it rains most of the time.
Well, one cannot just believe in wikipedia because anyone can update content there, must be some anti-ford band wagon

The content however has been removed. Even the if the design is so faulty it should take years for it to rust so much that it has to fail! It made me laugh though! as Forrest Gump says stupid is stupid does!
Old 20th July 2010, 09:53   #2989

Guess somebody is playing mischief. I too did an extensive search in the web but couldnt find any news about this accident.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:50   #2990
BHPian

A quick question - is that USB accessory still out of stock for the Ford Figo. I've been waiting donkey's ages for it.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:29   #2991
RDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Here is a compilation i had put of mileage figures reported by Figo TDCi Owners on T-Bhp.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1922607

(For those who dont want to navigate to another link the average figures of 14 owners are:
City-13.56
Highway-18.26)

And here is one on the long term Fiesta TDCi owners on T-Bhp

Attachment 389914

They are quite interestingly similar figures. The dealers have promoted the 20km/l funda so much for the Figo that led to unrealistic expectations from owners.
Good work gemithomas. This was exactly what I had been looking for. So now it can be safely concluded that Figo, Fiesta and Ikon give almost the same mileage. Man, that hydraulic and rubber mount difference is still bugging me. Can someone shed more light on this issue that how much of a difference could this possibly make on engine life, NVH levels and, of course FE. And, by the way, how much Ford would have saved by this cost cutting feature?
Old 21st July 2010, 08:41   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Figo owners can experience a shake when the a/c compressor comes on/off while the car is idling. I think the hydraulic mounts would keep these jerks from reaching the cabin. Other than that i dont really think much would change. The engine noise reaching the cabin has more to do with the sound proofing than the mounts. I think the Fiesta hydraulic mounts cost around Rs.2500/- but not sure if it is a straight fit on the Figo
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:00   #2993

First Service

Quote:
Figo owners can experience a shake when the a/c compressor comes on/off while the car is idling. I think the hydraulic mounts would keep these jerks from reaching the cabin. Other than that i dont really think much would change. The engine noise reaching the cabin has more to do with the sound proofing than the mounts. I think the Fiesta hydraulic mounts cost around Rs.2500/- but not sure if it is a straight fit on the Figo
OMG !!! Gemi. This question was on my mind & even the service engineer was unable to explain. Simply he cut me off, saying that while compressor switches ON/OFF, you will experience this effect. I didn't want to argue and waste my time with him.

Figo had the first service at 2700km

But definitely would appreciate, if anyone could find whether Fiesta mounts would fit for Figo. I wouldn't mind spending extra cash. Every time i wait at the signal & experience this kick, i suddenly look on the rear view mirrors. Its just a reflex action to ascertain, whether i am being kicked by a vehicle from rear & its really annoying.
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:59   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesk007 View Post
Every time i wait at the signal & experience this kick, i suddenly look on the rear view mirrors. Its just a reflex action to ascertain, whether i am being kicked by a vehicle from rear & its really annoying.
You Bet it happens and I search in the RVM for that.

But its still tolerable for me, in light of the apparent & unique NVH issues of each of my erstwhile vehicles. Figo NVH has none of them, in comparison. But then this is an individual opinion as inspite of finding the Polo so very refined, I do not regret my decision.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:27   #2995
RGK
Senior - BHPian

In my Figo, the rubber boot encircling the fuel tank tube at the brim got realigned and I see a gap. When enquired during 1st service, they said to try in the body shop at the service centre. The SE said, the fuel pump person would have pushed or tampered. I did not agree. Need to take to the body shop workshop. I think the plastic & rubber parts are real VFM products in this car.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:42   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
But definitely would appreciate, if anyone could find whether Fiesta mounts would fit for Figo. I wouldn't mind spending extra cash. Every time i wait at the signal & experience this kick, i suddenly look on the rear view mirrors. Its just a reflex action to ascertain,
This is even worse in the ikon TDCi and one can hear the tik sound of compressor starting.
Heck the whole thing vibrates including the seat and steering.
I asked the SC whether rubber mounts can be replaced with hydraulic ones .They simply said no as the there is some difference in mount design.
So i normally switch the ac off at stops.

Last edited by bullboy : 23rd July 2010 at 13:45.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:35   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every time i wait at the signal & experience this kick, i suddenly look on the rear view mirrors. Its just a reflex action to ascertain, whether i am being kicked by a vehicle from rear & its really annoying.
Same thing happened to me when I had to brake heard when a Jazz suddenly seemed to start hating the lane which he was on. He happily poked his nose into my lane out of no where and I had to brake like hell.

And this stop coincided with the A/C kicking in and believe me my heart drowned into my stomach!

When I got down to see my bumper, the guy behind me started honking
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:20   #2998
RDB

Guys, looks like this 'ac kick' things is a major irritant to me (though not a deal breaker, but definately adds to the list of irritants which all point to one thing.... cost cutting). Wonder how many of such issues will come up till the date I am planning to book a Figo.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:24   #2999
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Removing Air lock in TDCi

Just find the photo of the diesel lift pump bulb in Figo TDCi. This becomes extremely useful when diesel is filled after then tank is empty or if the diesel is very little. When air get inside the diesel pump, the engine performance is very sluggish (some times a ride in very small gradient may need 1st gear) or engine may fail to start due to air lock after diesel is filled. Continous cranking of the engine makes the battery down .

To remove air lock, open the engine plastic cover (just pull the three corners gently -marked in red - a neat design by Ford). Try pumping the black bulb - it may be very light due to air inside. It will pump the diesel to the diesel filter. (Normally in Ikon-Endura or HM trekker, outlet pipe is removed while pumping to see the diesel flow. When the flow of diesel becomes normal without air, the pipe is fitted again). In TDCi, no need to remove any tube, just pump the bulb till it becomes tight, then start the engine and its performance becomes normal.
Verified with the SE also. It is always better to maintain half tank full of diesel.
Note: Any Fiesta or Ikon TDCi owners who have faced this issue can correct or give more inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-image_115.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 09:34   #3000
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG !!! Gemi. This question was on my mind & even the service engineer was unable to explain. Simply he cut me off, saying that while compressor switches ON/OFF, you will experience this effect. I didn't want to argue and waste my time with him.

Figo had the first service at 2700km

But definitely would appreciate, if anyone could find whether Fiesta mounts would fit for Figo. I wouldn't mind spending extra cash. Every time i wait at the signal & experience this kick, i suddenly look on the rear view mirrors. Its just a reflex action to ascertain, whether i am being kicked by a vehicle from rear & its really annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
You Bet it happens and I search in the RVM for that.

But its still tolerable for me, in light of the apparent & unique NVH issues of each of my erstwhile vehicles. Figo NVH has none of them, in comparison. But then this is an individual opinion as inspite of finding the Polo so very refined, I do not regret my decision.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
This is even worse in the ikon TDCi and one can hear the tik sound of compressor starting.
Heck the whole thing vibrates including the seat and steering.
I asked the SC whether rubber mounts can be replaced with hydraulic ones .They simply said no as the there is some difference in mount design.
So i normally switch the ac off at stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Same thing happened to me when I had to brake heard when a Jazz suddenly seemed to start hating the lane which he was on. He happily poked his nose into my lane out of no where and I had to brake like hell.

And this stop coincided with the A/C kicking in and believe me my heart drowned into my stomach!

When I got down to see my bumper, the guy behind me started honking
The switching on/off of a/c compressor is felt, but not so much as mentioned by Karthi & anil. In my car, i feel the engine idle speed is bit on the higher side (just .5mm less than 1 in tacho) so that jerk is not severe. It may be worth a try to increase the idle speed a bit and observe. As clearly mentioned by GTO, double sound proof insulation is not at all enough for figo - needs more than that. Definitely Vista & Swift are less noisy inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks