Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 09:30   #571
BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Encountered a tire burst incident on Sunday while returning from a 300+300kms trip. The incident took place just 65kms before my home town at 9.30pm at the speed of around 90-100km/hr.

Tires are Conti MC5 which were bought in 2016 and have clocked around 25k kms. I got the wheel alignment and balancing done along with the wheel rotation just a day before the trip.

Got the front wheel with more wear installed at the rear and it was the right rear wheel which got burst.

We had a short break just 50 kms before the incident where I visually inspected the tires to spot any air loss and found all fine. So still not able to make sure what had caused the tire burst!

Good thing was the burst tire did not cause any panic situation. I just heard a very mild and muted thud from the rear like what we usually hear when the tires cross the road line reflectors. I was just thinking that why only single thud noise when usually we hear it twice since front and rear both tires cross the reflectors. The highways on which I was driving has lots of road-line reflectors but it felt more weird since there were none at the stretch where the incident took place.

And suddenly it started sounding like incremental music beats and it did not take me too long to realize that I am having an flat tire. I looked in all the ORVMs and gradually started moving the car towards the left side of the road for safe parking. We were four people in the car and none of the co-passengers realized until I informed them about the situation. When we looked at the tire, it was a mess.

Thankfully there was a tire puncture shop just at walking distance. The shop guy came and swapped the burst tire with the spare wheel.

Now I need to buy atleast two tires and thinking to go for the same MC5 since MC6 are not available in India. UC6 is another option but the tire does not have FR remarks for rim protection which MC5/6 have. I also don't see any visual damage on my Momo alloys and hope there is found none when I take them at the tire shop for the inspection.

Any tire can burst, but I think the way the burst MC5 behaved till I stopped the car was impressive. My uncle had a tire burst incident where the tire caused damage to his Ritz's bumper.

Nights are cold weather here in Rajasthan and I can see the tire material of the burst tire is still soft and can be flexed with minimal effort which is not the case with most tires after such age in such cold weather. If I am wrong with my observation then please correct me.

I am also planning to install TPMS in all four tires this time. Though I don't think if that is much helpful in such sudden tire burst situation. still it is helpful in monitoring the tires for any unusual air leakage so that timely preventative measures can be taken.

Any pointers on reliable aftermarket TPMS will be helpful. I would prefer internal valve type sensors so that they can't be stolen, people here even steal the normal plastic valve caps so external sensors are a big no.

Continental tyres-screenshot-20220104-083823.png

Continental tyres-screenshot-20220104-083944.png

Continental tyres-screenshot-20220104-084119.png

Continental tyres-01.jpg

Continental tyres-02.jpg

Continental tyres-03.jpg

Continental tyres-04.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th January 2022 at 09:36.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 16:17   #572
BHPian

What has happened to the world? GPU prices are rocket high, Cars having booking period of as long as 9 months, headunit market is pilled up with the Chinese Android garbage, and now no good tires available in the market?

Could not find a single MC5 in the whole city, forget about MC6! Only UC6 is available which does not come with the rim protection profile.
Old 19th January 2022, 10:23   #573
BHPian

The stock Hankook on my 2018 Verna had done 51K KMs and although it had approx. 5 to 10K tread life left, the tyres were developing cracks and one of the tyre had two close punctures causing constant slow leak. I had previously used Yoko S Drives and Conti CPC2 in my Skoda Rapid and was happy with Continental. My preference was CC6, but that is not available in 16" diameter as per website and based on overall consensus in this forum I zeroed in on UC6. Ordered 4 UC6 205/55 R16 from Amazon at Rs 7583/piece and with some cashback, the net cost came around Rs 28,815/-. The tyres came neatly packed in clingwrap within a week. Got it fitted at neighborhood shop; fitment, new valves, balancing, alignment and nitrogen costed Rs 1350/- extra.

The tyres were manufactured in Aug 2021 and got the seller to register for Continental online warranty. Spoke to Continental support ahead of order and clarified if seller is registering warranty online, we will be able to claim warranty from any authorized dealer in India.

I have driven barely 200KMs on the new tyres, however the most noticeable change is the reduced noise compared to stock tyres. It is possible the old tyres had become hard and making more noise of late but I am enjoying the relative quiet as of now. The new tyres are filling up the alloys beautifully compared to stock. Although both have 55mm sidewall on paper, I feel the continental is slightly higher and thereby filling the tyre wells better too. The tyre shop guys also felt the same, I am curious if anyone else had similar observation.

NB:- The same tyres are selling at Rs 6999/- per piece in Amazon today with Independence Day offer

And lastly couple of snaps
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-img0139.jpg  

Continental tyres-img0140.jpg  

Old 19th January 2022, 23:33   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hi phoenix, how much did you paid for the set? Also, I suppose you got these for Linea. Why did you went for increased sidewall?
My apologies for a very, very late reply.

I paid 6900 per 205/55/R16 UC6. Yes, for Linea. Let's say a bug in the b**t to try and see what happens with an increased sidewall.

Result:

1. No noticeable issues with the increase in sidewall height considering my driving style.

2. Tyres are great for the price I paid. Grip well, are quiet, stable. Nothing to not like about them.

@Phukan23 was asking about puncture reports, I have had none in about a thousand kilometres so far.
phoenix1386 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 14:57   #575

Recently, I have installed 195/60 R15 size Continental UltraContact UC6 tyres in my 3rd Gen Honda City replacing 175/65 R15 size Michelin Energy XM1 tyres which had developed many cracks on the tread and side wall. I could feel improved traction immediately in my first drive but I also felt heavier steering than earlier.

In my opinion, for highway driving the wider tyres with higher traction is good and for city driving the OEM size with lighter steering is desirable.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:47   #576
BHPian

The stock tyres on my VW Vento (185 60 R15 ) had clocked just over 40K Kms, but had become hard with almost six years of usage. I would have changed them at the end of 4 years, but due to the Corona times, was not going for any out of town trips. Of late, the ride had become uncomfortable and looking at the reviews, was inclined to go for the Conti UC6.
The local dealer was quoting about 6000 for the 195 60 R15 tyres, which was available in amazon for 5300. I could get only 3 tyres for that price , but got the fourth one from a different seller for 200 Rs more. The three tyres were manufactured in the last week of 2021 and the fourth one was manufactured in the second week of October. Got them fitted at the local tyre shop, was charged 1300 for fitting, wheel balancing, alignment and nitrogen fillings. The average cost per tyre was below 5500.
The tyres are really comfortable, very silent and the stance of the car has improved with the wider tyres. I have not noticed any change in the gear shifts or in the fuel economy. The grip is confidence inspiring and I am quite happy with the decision to go for these tyres.
The only worry is about the warranty. In case there is any problem during the warranty period, who should I approach? is it enough to keep the invoice form the seller from Amazon. if anyone has bought these tyres from Amazon or any other online seller, Please share your experience or suggestion.
Old 26th January 2022, 13:25   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
The stock tyres on my VW Vento (185 60 R15 ) had clocked just over 40K Kms, but had become hard with almost six years of usage. I would have changed them at the end of 4 years, but due to the Corona times, was not going for any out of town trips. Of late, the ride had become uncomfortable and looking at the reviews, was inclined to go for the Conti UC6.
The local dealer was quoting about 6000 for the 195 60 R15 tyres, which was available in amazon for 5300. I could get only 3 tyres for that price , but got the fourth one from a different seller for 200 Rs more. The three tyres were manufactured in the last week of 2021 and the fourth one was manufactured in the second week of October. Got them fitted at the local tyre shop, was charged 1300 for fitting, wheel balancing, alignment and nitrogen fillings. The average cost per tyre was below 5500.
The tyres are really comfortable, very silent and the stance of the car has improved with the wider tyres. I have not noticed any change in the gear shifts or in the fuel economy. The grip is confidence inspiring and I am quite happy with the decision to go for these tyres.
The only worry is about the warranty. In case there is any problem during the warranty period, who should I approach? is it enough to keep the invoice form the seller from Amazon. if anyone has bought these tyres from Amazon or any other online seller, Please share your experience or suggestion.
Hi
I have a small query since you bought from Amazon. How did you get to know the manufacturing month and year before you bought online ? Secondly, how could you procure 4 tyres, when I tried on Amazon for the same UC6, Amazon was offering only 2 !!! I couldn't get 4 tyres, as the option there was only 2
Whoever replaces 2 tyres ONLY ?
Lastly, how well they were delivered ? Packaging and time taken ?

Thanks in advance

PS - I have the same query like you about warranty
Old 26th January 2022, 14:40   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Hi
I have a small query since you bought from Amazon.
Why not try Tyremarket.com? Based on my experience, they do tell you about the manufacturing month of tyres before shipping, for fast selling sizes, their turnaround time is pretty quick.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 15:37   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Why not try Tyremarket.com? Based on my experience, they do tell you about the manufacturing month of tyres before shipping, for fast selling sizes, their turnaround time is pretty quick.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks for your reply Shashi
Personally I have been a Michelin fanboy for years together and have used XM1,XM2,XM2+,Primacy LC, and always thought them as best suited for me and my driving style.
It's really my personal opinion due to variety of experience I gained with Michelin over many years

Now due to this embargo, I have been given a choice of Conti UC6 by my old dealer in Kolkata (Indo Radial Club). Also our resident tyre expert kpzen have told me to go for UC6, if I can't procure Michelin. But kp also said that sufficient amount of Michelin are being imported currently. I really do not know why the largest tyre dealer in Eastern India (apparently) is unable to source Michelin at all. He told me Energy XM2+ ( my choice ) is unavailable for nearly a year now.

Coming to your suggestion, frankly I am scared. I have gone through the particular thread and the reviews and experiences are mixed. What if they send me year old tyres ? What if I pay upfront and then they delay like someone who got his tyre after 45 days ? It's just like buying a high end phone online or else in the store where you can see the product with your eyes and then pay. I would love to see the date and then pay, rather than repent later.

Same with UC 6. I am scared that I will get Conti this time, and then if something goes wrong, I will keep blaming myself that why I didn't search enough for Michelin

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 26th January 2022 at 15:40.
Old 26th January 2022, 15:54   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Shashi
What's the size you are looking for?
Old 26th January 2022, 16:02   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What's the size you are looking for?
The size I am looking for is 185/65 R15
Old 26th January 2022, 16:34   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Michelin XM2+ is easily available in that size, I'm pretty sure. Saw good stocks of that size recently in Delhi. You can do one thing, write to Tyremarket regarding availability and date of manufacturing, that way you can be sure of what you are purchasing.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 17:38   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin XM2+ is definitely available in 185/XX R15. I don't remember the exact aspect ratio I was shown at the tyre shop at Palika Bhawan, Delhi. It was either 60 or 65. Michelin India website list both sizes. 185/65 R15 is also available on Amazon India.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 18:57   #584
BHPian

Many thanks to both Leoshashi and Guite for the updated information

This will help me a lot in asking the dealer Indo Radial Club to get Michelin for me
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 21:39   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I have a small query since you bought from Amazon. How did you get to know the manufacturing month and year before you bought online ? Secondly, how could you procure 4 tyres, when I tried on Amazon for the same UC6, Amazon was offering only 2 !!! I couldn't get 4 tyres, as the option there was only 2
Whoever replaces 2 tyres ONLY ?
Lastly, how well they were delivered ? Packaging and time taken ?

Thanks in advance

PS - I have the same query like you about warranty
Frankly, I knew the manufacture date only after I got them. My local tyre shop told me that these tyres are in great demand and it is unlikely that you will get tyres that are over 6 months old. In fact, he quoted two weeks to procure them.
Yes, i could get only 2 tyres from Amazon, got the remaining two through order from another Amazon customer. They were delivered wrapped in plastic sheets and it took about 6 days from order to delivery. There was no damage.
Yes, the warranty is a worry. Has anyone any experience ?
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks