Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 10:04   #331
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845

^^ Captain Slow, I would agree. My car is waxed more than a month back and on the door panels, the beading is still great. The bonet is a different story though.

Does the effectiveness a function of whether the surface is horizontal or vertical?
Old 6th May 2013, 18:40   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
^^ Captain Slow, I would agree. My car is waxed more than a month back and on the door panels, the beading is still great. The bonet is a different story though.

Does the effectiveness a function of whether the surface is horizontal or vertical?

No not really, The bonet/Hood is one place where the wax will be pushed to the limits.
This is once place where the elements - dust, grime, bird poo, insects and the biggest factor engine heat all attack the wax on the hood.
The heat generated from the engine is enough to kill the wax slowly.
The best to extended water beading and wax life on the hood would be to give the hood a double coat (After a gap of 12-24 hours) of wax/protection.
But this wont help much, Eventually the water beading will stop and you will have to reapply the wax.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 14:48   #333
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to sajands for sourcing a bottle of Collinite 845 for me.

I am a bit confused from reading a couple of pages on how to use the 845.

I first use plain water to rinse off any dirt and muck from the car.

Then i mix the Meguiars NXT Car Wash solution in a bucket of plain water and wash the whole car - top down approach.

I use the Meguiars Microfiber Wash Mitt for the wash and dry the car using a chamois leather (clean cham product).

I then apply Turtle Wax and buff it using a Turtle Wax microfiber towel.

Should i apply the 845 after the Turtle wax has been applied and buffed off or before?

How many coats of 845 do i need to apply?
Old 8th May 2013, 15:07   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Should i apply the 845 after the Turtle wax has been applied and buffed off or before?
Apply 845 first and then you can do turtle wax after a gap of 24 hours. Your protection will last no more than your base layer, 845 lasts longer than a Wax. Apply 2 coats of 845 with a gap of 24 hours.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 8th May 2013 at 15:34.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 15:40   #335
Senior - BHPian

@n_aditya; I will skip Turtle wax, since it may reduce the bonding of 845 to the surface. One coat is enough. You will find subsequent applications need far less elbow grease.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 16:27   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@n_aditya; I will skip Turtle wax, since it may reduce the bonding of 845 to the surface. One coat is enough. You will find subsequent applications need far less elbow grease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Apply 845 first and then you can do turtle wax after a gap of 24 hours. Your protection will last no more than your base layer, 845 lasts longer than a Wax. Apply 2 coats of 845 with a gap of 24 hours.
Thanks for the responses.

I have only a little bit of Turtle Wax left which might last a few more sessions after which i was planning to buy this.

Am i right in inferring that 845 is enough and I would not need Turtle Wax or the Meguirs NXT Tech Wax paste?

What are the differences between 845 and NXT tech wax paste? Are they the same with 845 having better results?
Old 8th May 2013, 16:39   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Am i right in inferring that 845 is enough and I would not need Turtle Wax or the Meguirs NXT Tech Wax paste?

What are the differences between 845 and NXT tech wax paste? Are they the same with 845 having better results?
If anything to go by the internet reviews, 845 is more durable of the two. I have used NXT before and it gives a nice shine to the car. It is one of those easy on and easy off waxes.

Would have recommended you to use two layers of 845 then one layer of NXT, but worried that NXT has mild abrasive property and might strip the 845 off.

My humble suggestion for you is to use 845 as you already have it, then top it off with a good carnauba wax ( Something like Collinite 476 or Megs yellow wax ). This combination will give you the best shine and depth.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 02:13   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to sajands for sourcing a bottle of Collinite 845 for me.

I am a bit confused from reading a couple of pages on how to use the 845.

I first use plain water to rinse off any dirt and muck from the car.

Then i mix the Meguiars NXT Car Wash solution in a bucket of plain water and wash the whole car - top down approach.

I use the Meguiars Microfiber Wash Mitt for the wash and dry the car using a chamois leather (clean cham product).

I then apply Turtle Wax and buff it using a Turtle Wax microfiber towel.

Aditiya,
don't use the turtle wax just use the 845 and maybe a day later apply another layer of the 845.

The 845 and turtle wax does not go well together. I have tried that and end result was the turtle wax removed the 845 completely.

NXT tech wax paste
is as bad formula 1 or any other low range wax - aka garbage, I wouldn't put that on with the 845/915 even if I was paid to do so
its durability is very poor compared to collinite.

If I were you I wouldn't be using the NXT tech wax paste at all.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 12:46   #339

This may seem like a silly question. But i have seen some posts online, where they apply wax even on the windshields and some say it is a bad idea as the wipers won't be effective.

What do you guys suggest? Waxing the windshield is a strict no-no or would be good idea as water would just bead off when driving?
Old 26th May 2013, 17:38   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaknav View Post
This may seem like a silly question. But i have seen some posts online, where they apply wax even on the windshields and some say it is a bad idea as the wipers won't be effective.

What do you guys suggest? Waxing the windshield is a strict no-no or would be good idea as water would just bead off when driving?
Hi
Ive done that with collinite 845 itself. The water does bead off but the wiper chatter is horrendous. It much better to go for a proper glass sealant as it lasts longer beads better and has none of the noise associated with wax.

But if you want to apply, go ahead. Visibility is good in the rains. However you will have to apply more frequently as the wiper rubbing on the screen tends to remove the wax faster.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 11:47   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaknav View Post

Waxing the wind shield is not exactly a great idea.
Waxing leads to beading, and beading on glass reduces the visibility.
Ideally the glass should be coated with something soapy, so that the water just moves down like a film and leaves the glass!
Old 27th May 2013, 12:29   #342
BHPian

Perhaps this thread ought to clear some doubts

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...5-windows.html
Old 27th May 2013, 14:30   #343
Senior - BHPian

I say simple never wax the glasses. You do so at your own peril.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 23:20   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I say simple never wax the glasses. You do so at your own peril.
Agreed!
If you do want to clean your glass use something like colin. Works well.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 09:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
If you do want to clean your glass use something like colin. Works well.
I find a wet old newspaper (newsprint / unglazed - the yellow stuff) works very well. I find that repeated use of Colin does leave a residue. So I prefer proprietary windscreen cleaners.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks