Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 20:34   #3256
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Thank you and much appreciated. How much did you pay and have you hardwired it to your car and is it do it by self? From what I have read so far is, if you need 24 hrs parking surveillance, it needs to be hard wired!
You can negotiate hard and get upto 25% discount from the Mrp listed in their website. You can call them or WhatsApp them and they respond immediately. You can ask any no.of questions and learn more about the product before making a decision.
Its easy to do the wiring by yourself and if you are not sure you can engage the staff of car accessories shop who will do it for 100,200 bucks.
For parking mode you need to hardwire to fuse tap and this too can be done the electrical guys or by the workshop people who services your vehicle.
Old 4th November 2020, 21:09   #3257
BHPian

Just curious- has anyone considered making a dash cam out of off the shelf electronic components? How did it turn out? I want to avoid Chinese brands as far as possible after my family got infected by Covid despite all precautions, and hence I want to explore a DIY. I know that hobbyists make great security camera using off the shelf lenses and Arduino boards, but has anyone managed to make something that fits in a car? Thanks.

OT: generic made in China components are okay, because they carry a minimal margin.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2020 at 21:42. Reason: Removing the unwanted bits to avoid discussions going off topic.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 14:15   #3258

I was planning to get one dashcam for my Ford Fiesta. I shortlisted the Ddapi Mola N3 dashcam with GPS module which costs around 6500/- on Amazon. The reasons were:
1. Capacitor based model (which is safer than Li-ion battery based models in our hot environment)
2. 1600p/2k recording with 140 degree field of view
3. Supports up to 128GB Micro SD Card (Class 10 is a must)
4. Good design with decent reviews online
5. Fits in budget

As one can track the entire driving activity (speed tagging, route, time travelled, etc) with GPS module, I thought of purchasing it, but at the last moment, a few thoughts came to my mind.

1. In the event of an accident, what if my driving speed is more than the permissible limit, as it will be seen in footage?
2. Even though it may not be my fault, as I am over-speeding (which is mentioned in the footage), will I be able to use it as a proof?
3. The Police Might Drag Me Into The Case As They Will Have The Proof Of Over Speeding?
4. Insurance company may reject my claim due to violating the speed limit.

What are your thoughts on this???

By the way, I have already purchased the same model without GPS For 4999/- on Amazon. I am happy with the video quality.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2020 at 13:59. Reason: Improper capitalisation
Vijaypatel49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 00:57   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Just curious- has anyone considered making a dash cam out of off the shelf electronic components? How did it turn out? I want to avoid Chinese brands as far as possible after my family got infected by Covid despite all precautions, and hence I want to explore a DIY.
Short answer: It is not worth the effort.
Long answer:
Are you afraid of contracting covid due to the purchase or you want to avoid Chinese products as a whole? I am assuming it is the latter. In that case, you can choose to buy a dashcam from a non-chinese company. There are many in the US, just search in amazon.com. Or you may use a made-in-india phone with some dashcam software installed. Even then, there is no guarantee that the majority of the components are not from China. It is a fact that cannot be escaped in the current world.

Coming to DIY, unlike a home security cam, a dashcam needs to be robust to withstand constant vibrations, be small in form factor and needs to be well put together to be able to mount properly. And then there is the software part to support loop recording, ability to save important clips, support abrupt shutdowns and restart, etc. It is simply not worth the effort to go down that route. At the end of the day, you cannot keep experimenting and not have the recording when you actually need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijaypatel49 View Post
But At The Last Moment Few Thoughts Came Into My Mind.

1. In The Event Of An Accident, What If My Driving Speed Is More Than The Permissible Limit, As It Will Be Seen In Footage?
2. Even Though It May Be Not My Fault, But As I Am Over Speeding (whihc Is Mentioned On The Footage), Will I Be Able To Use It As A Proof?
3. The Police Might Drag Me Into The Case As They Will Have The Proof Of Over Speeding?
4. Insurance Company May Reject My Claim Due To Violating The Speed Limit.

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
It is a valid point, something that I have also thought about. Maybe you might prove your innocense in court but the visible high speeds will definitely lead to harrasment from the cops in case of some big accident. I have disconnected the GPS module from my dashcam and will use it only when required to capture speeds.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 12:11   #3260
BHPian

Quote:

1. In The Event Of An Accident, What If My Driving Speed Is More Than The Permissible Limit, As It Will Be Seen In Footage?
2. Even Though It May Be Not My Fault, But As I Am Over Speeding (whihc Is Mentioned On The Footage), Will I Be Able To Use It As A Proof?

What Are Your Thoughts On This???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

It is a valid point, something that I have also thought about. Maybe you might prove your innocense in court but the visible high speeds will definitely lead to harrasment from the cops in case of some big accident. I have disconnected the GPS module from my dashcam and will use it only when required to capture speeds.
If the need arises, speed can be determined by how long it took you from point A to B for the relevant segment.
Old 7th November 2020, 13:44   #3261
BHPian

Quote:

What Are Your Thoughts On This???.
In 70 mai pro, you only see the coordinates, speed and other details while playing the video from the device gallery. Once you download the footage on to your laptop/phone, it will not show those details.
And the scenario mentioned by you, one would always download those footages onto phone/laptops for future use and avoid the risk of being overwritten by subsequent recording. All in all I found these dashcams really helpfull in such cases and keeping your memories from the numerous drives.
Hope it clears the confusion.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 13:55   #3262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
In 70 mai pro, you only see the coordinates, speed and other details while playing the video from the device gallery. Once you download the footage on to your laptop/phone, it will not show those details.
My dashcam got option what parameters you want to record from the GPS - speed/coordinates/both/none. But again nowadays speed can be also tracked using other available data like toll booth/FASTag records or from mobile phone location.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 16:05   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Though you are not able to see the GPS data in the downloaded video, it is still embedded in the video. Software is available to extract this data into subtitle file and view it on laptop/PC

I think in the updated version 70mai Pro Plus – these data are also displayed in the downloaded videos
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 18:56   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
And the scenario mentioned by you, one would always download those footages onto phone/laptops for future use and avoid the risk of being overwritten by subsequent recording. All in all I found these dashcams really helpfull in such cases and keeping your memories from the numerous drives.
Hope it clears the confusion.
Technically, GPS should give you the coordinates, speed and even the map coordinates which will give you the exact route covered and the time taken including your vehicle number for proof. In my SC01 Safe cam I get all these on the go even while driving and I could download it from my mobile in a jiffy and never had to remove the SD card even once. Just sharing the route map here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20201107_185412.jpg  

Organic Chlorin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 21:14   #3265
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have installed VIOFO A119S, and it is doing its job from last 2 years without any issues. Mostly run on 1440@30fps.

However, I have for a better dashcam. Does 70mai Pro is a good upgrade from VIOFO A119s? Is it worth the money (~7K)?
Old 10th November 2020, 15:23   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Chlorin View Post
You can negotiate hard and get upto 25% discount from the Mrp listed in their website. You can call them or WhatsApp them and they respond immediately. You can ask any no.of questions and learn more about the product before making a decision.
Its easy to do the wiring by yourself and if you are not sure you can engage the staff of car accessories shop who will do it for 100,200 bucks.
For parking mode you need to hardwire to fuse tap and this too can be done the electrical guys or by the workshop people who services your vehicle.
I finally got the SafeCam brand dashcam SC01 today. Checked it offline and it just works fine. The app to control and monitor it works flawlessly. However there are a few issues:

1. The cable attached to the cigarette lighter is fixed and should have been the USB type! The only way to use it is have a splitter which looks clumsy
2. The hard wire kit is not part of the package and has to be purchased outside which makes it even more difficult as you have to look for 3 splits (ground, acc and power) with micro usb
3. Then I have to take care of the fusetap type for figo which i believe is non standard as compared to other cars

I called then and they acknowledged and also said that only a few percent of customers go for hardwiring! This I find strange as it defeats the purpose of having a front and rear dashcam not being used when especially when you park outside or other areas when you are out of your home!

In a dilemma now
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-safecam.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-safecam1.jpg  

Last edited by sumathindra : 10th November 2020 at 15:29.
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 17:48   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
I finally got the SafeCam brand dashcam SC01 today. Checked it offline and it just works fine. The app to control and monitor it works flawlessly. However there are a few issues:

1. The cable attached to the cigarette lighter is fixed and should have been the USB type! The only way to use it is have a splitter which looks clumsy
2. The hard wire kit is not part of the package and has to be purchased outside which makes it even more difficult as you have to look for 3 splits (ground, acc and power) with micro usb
3. Then I have to take care of the fusetap type for figo which i believe is non standard as compared to other cars

I called then and they acknowledged and also said that only a few percent of customers go for hardwiring! This I find strange as it defeats the purpose of having a front and rear dashcam not being used when especially when you park outside or other areas when you are out of your home!

In a dilemma now
Hi Sumathindra, first congratulations for your purchase and I've connected the cable to my 12v Cigarette lighter in my Ford Ecosport which is absolutely fine for me as I've usb port to charge my mobile and I was very comfortable with the setting so far and anyway my 12v cig lighter has otherwise nothing to do other than connect the vacuum cleaner occasionally.
About the other issue you have mentioned, Lot of kits in marketed are low amp @ 1 to 1.5 Amp as they are for single channel dah cam, as safe cams SC01 is dual cam the current required is 2.5Amp. The Sc01 has a super capacitor and therefore a 3 wire hardwire kit is needed. As the camera needs to be powered from the vehicle battery when the vehicle is switched off especially, for parking mode.

Hardwire kits are not standard with the majority of dash cameras. They need a low voltage switch to ensure that your battery is not drained.

Fuse tap is depend upon model you have. I think you can contact Safe Cams and they can help you find out the suitable fuse tap for your vehicle and come up with the solution. They can help you with the solution and that's the advantage we have since they are available locally and I suggest you get in touch with them.
I did not hardwire to the fuse tap since I did not require that and my requirements was for any unfortunate mishaps and to capture my travel.
Old 16th November 2020, 10:50   #3268
BHPian

Quote:
I finally got the SafeCam brand dashcam SC01 today.
Does this dashcam records at 60fps?

I'm looking for a dashcam that supports 60fps as I find the video much pleasing to the eyes than the 30fps dashcams.
Old 19th November 2020, 14:50   #3269
MSC
BHPian

I recently bought a 70Mai dashcam pro. And till now, it has been a good companion.
However I am facing a peculiar issue.
Suppose I download the clip from dashcam on to my phone. When I try to share this video with anyone via whatsapp, it doesn't permits it with a notification that selected video/videos can not be shared.
Is it like this only or I am need to do some modifications in dashcam settings?
Old 19th November 2020, 14:58   #3270
BHPian

Bought a Campark Dual Dash Cam last month off Amazon for Rs. 3714.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07VD47GX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have been using the second rear camera as a jerry-rigged front parking camera. Installed it under the grill on my new Creta 2020. The video-line in, which also powers the camera, is routed under the bonnet and through the glovebox.

As there is currently no provision for integrating a front parking camera with Hyundai's infotainment system, this is the cheapest and easiest solution I could think of. The catch being that I can only view the front feed after cycling through the dash cam screen which takes three button presses. The feed is also a mirror image, i.e laterally inverted. Apart from these caveats, I am happy with the arrangement.

As far as the main dashcam goes, it is good enough for recording evidence but a bit lacking if you want vlogging quality videos. The video quality is good during the day and acceptable at night. You can usually make out the number plates of the cars immediately in front of you. The UI on the dashcam is a bit basic, but serves the purpose. It has a very short battery life and doesn't come bundled with a micro-sd card. Supports upto 64 GB cards.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20201119-2.36.05-pm-2.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20201119-2.36.05-pm-3.jpeg  

iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed