Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:34   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Please note that the well established manufacturers / International Brands have mostly shifted their manufacturing hub to China or other South Asian Countries and the Packing may bear just the name of the Country where their Head Office is located. Not necessarily the country of manufacture. The packing may have print in various International Languages, as is even with most of the Indian Products too.
The Picture you posted does read "KAFF ITALY". Does the Machine anywhere bear the Stamp as 'Made in Italy' ? Yet, sorry to say, the Packing (Wooden Casing) does not look like a European work or maybe I am Wrong.
The idea was not to trace the country of manufacture, but to show that most appliances are imported (does not matter where from). As long as they are imported there will be question mark to the level support, including stocking of spares that the sellers will maintain. Well entrenches sellers like Kaff, Hindware, Faber etc manufacture the low end and import the high end. They have a well established service network and keep spares handy. In contras my experience with BPL is that they are mainly traders and sell what ever is in fashion today, dropping the appliances tomorrow if they do not sell well. Nothing wrong with that except that you may not get service you thought you will ten years hence.
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:48   #7922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The idea was not to trace the country of manufacture, but to show that most appliances are imported (does not matter where from).
Sorry !! I meant no offence. Just wanted to share my concern that, WE must be aware that what is Printed on the packing is sometimes misleading and the Vendors take advantage of this fact.
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:07   #7923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Sorry !! I meant no offence. Just wanted to share my concern that, WE must be aware that what is Printed on the packing is sometimes misleading and the Vendors take advantage of this fact.
I know. Most of the parts for appliances are sourced from China. They are then assembled in the home country and then exported to India. So their lable states the "home country" and not China, even though the major components may be from China.
Old 4th July 2020, 13:17   #7924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Thanks for the update. I'm postponing the purchase until I see sufficient stocks of Bosch piled up for me to choose from. Heard that Bosch dishwashers will be available in 3 weeks time. By the time I write this that BPL one/s sold out too.
From this discussion I am inclined to go for Bosch dish washer. For family of 5 people plus one kid which means lot of utensils to wash, any suggestions which specific model would be suitable?

Any other (non-Bosch) suggestions for my requirements are also welcome.

Thanks
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:34   #7925
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
From this discussion I am inclined to go for Bosch dish washer. For family of 5 people plus one kid which means lot of utensils to wash, any suggestions which specific model would be suitable?
Thanks
Bosch latest 12 place settings model : SMS66GW01I / SMS66GI01I as these two are latest models of Bosch. (INR ~35k in Flipkart)
Other brand: LG: DFB424FW / DFB424FP which has 14 place settings. (INR~54K in Flipkart)

The above two are my choices based on reviews I saw in youtube and in various internet sites. However there are brands like IFB, Siemens which have same /similar configuration. If budget is not a constraint LG is a good choice with more space.

Last edited by KPR : 4th July 2020 at 13:35.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 18:44   #7926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Recently my 7 year old LG front loader stopped midway during washing. Called the LG support and they identified the issue to the corrosion of Rear Drum Assembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
This same Galvanic corrosion happens in aluminium finned copper tube condensers of airconditioner also. That's why many are coated and called blue-fin condensers.
I suppose this can be addressed by using a sacrificial metal, say Zinc. I'm trying out that for my mild steel grill (been a couple of weeks, too early to check if really has worked)
Old 4th July 2020, 20:12   #7927
BANNED

Quote:
From this discussion I am inclined to go for Bosch dish washer.

There are some kitchen equipment like hob / chimney makers who have listed dishwashers on their site. Cant remember who. Glen, Faber and Elica are among brands I searched recently for a cooktop. (Sheesh! Just a glorified name for old fashioned LPG stove)
Old 4th July 2020, 22:56   #7928
BHPian

Folks,
Need your kind help to choose a couple of home appliances.

1. Microwave Oven: I have no idea about the different terminologies (Solo, Grill Convection etc.). Google helped me understand that a Convection will serve the purpose. Somehow I'm a little biased towards the Germans and Japanese products (that includes cars too). Now, as for the brands, there are LGs and IFBs with very limited options from Panasonic and Sharp. So, I'll have to be open to Koreans too.
I have a budget of about 15K.

2. Washing machine: Need something for a family of 4 and will be used at max twice a week. Considering the requirement of water, I think I'll go for a front load. I have a budget of about 30K.

Both will be used in Kolkata, and support matters too.
Please suggest some options.
Old 4th July 2020, 23:38   #7929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
1. Microwave Oven: I have no idea about the different terminologies (Solo, Grill Convection etc.).
There is only one mircrowave technology: microwaves! Apart from that, these devices are kitchen multitools: a microwave oven, a convection (conventional) oven, and a grill, combined in one box.

The smallest, cheapest devices will be microwave only. Next comes combo of microwave and grill, which allows use as either, or both as microwave cooking does not normally brown.

Next is added the functionality of an electric oven. I have owned combined microwave/grill/convection ovens for years, but cannot remember ever having used anything but the microwave function. I have always had a separate oven: if I did not, then I would explore the other features.

Simply put, to buy the size of machine I want, with the controls and style that I like, I end up buying the whole works.

There is one further technology, which I don't know anything about, which involves steam.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th July 2020 at 23:39.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 00:47   #7930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Simply put, to buy the size of machine I want, with the controls and style that I like, I end up buying the whole works.
Thank you for the explanation, it's really helpful.

Don't we all do the same, we end up paying for the whole deal, using maybe 30-50% of the features in a product's lifetime. I'll probably do the same with this purchases
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 01:23   #7931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is one further technology, which I don't know anything about, which involves steam.
Helps in bread baking.
Steam makes the crust of Baguettes etc more chewy.

Alternative is to open the regular oven and spray water in it, while keeping a small dish on the bottom rack filled with water.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 03:33   #7932
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,
Need your kind help to choose a couple of home appliances.

1. Microwave Oven: I have no idea about the different terminologies (Solo, Grill Convection etc.).
I have a budget of about 15K.
Was in the same conundrum as to what kind of microwave to buy when we set out in our hunt. Simple microwave (think mostly reheating food, basic maggi cooking and an occasional microwave mug cake) or one with grill (think tikkas, though never made them) or a full fledged convection one (bake cakes, brownies, cookies, bread etc.).

Quote:
Don't we all do the same, we end up paying for the whole deal, using maybe 30-50% of the features in a product's lifetime. I'll probably do the same with this purchases
Exactly. Ended up buying the convection one from Samsung which has all 3 functions. Did so for two reasons:
1) Simple microwave would have meant buying an OTG or oven separately and kitchen space is limited now a days for most of us so a single device tripling up helped
2) We did not have an oven and we tend to bake cakes, brownies etc. so needed the oven capabilities as well

If you think you would be baking cakes, breads, cookies or potato wedges etc. AND you do not have an oven at home then probably getting one with convection would help. Given that most of us may not be keen on eating out for some more time, it might be a good idea to get a convection one and enjoy home made treats. If I might add (totaly off-topic), baking is an awesome de-stressing, therapeutic thing once you get used to it, the aroma of a freshly baked cake or brownie or roasted potato wedges... awesome.....

This is the model we have https://www.samsung.com/in/cooking-a...MC32J7035CTTL/, bought in early 2014 I think. It has served us well and when we had an issue (do not recall what it was exactly), Samsung service was decent (though I felt maybe I could have gotten it done for cheaper outside, not sure). One thing which has recently been bothering us now-a-days though is that if we want to bake multiple cakes in succession, then suddenly in the middle of the second cake being baked the machine shuts itself down and we have to give it a while before it comes back on (something like overheats and then we have to wait till it cools down before it can be used again). Also two of the keys are not working properly and need to be hit at the right angle for the function to be invoked. Regarding the keys, one of the technicians had once told me that it is better to get the rotating knob style ones instead of these since they (rotating knobs) have a better life. But not sure if we get those knob types now a days. For now we are managing with these two issues since I am avoiding calling a technician home due to virus situation.

Quote:
Happens most of the times that a lot of features are available on the one which is micro, grill & convection.... top end model if you will, maybe a ploy to lure customers to buy that combo model instead of a basic micro even if they do not need the combo thingy....
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 12:38   #7933
BHPian

I am looking to buy the "Euroclean Mop N Vac Vacuum Cleaner". I had a demo last week and was convinced of the utility of it as it does both vacuum and mop in one pass and saves time. Also the quality of output seems better than if done manually. Does anyone have feedback on it in terms of usability, reliability and service ?
Old 5th July 2020, 14:37   #7934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Microwave Oven: I have no idea about the different terminologies (Solo, Grill Convection etc.). Google helped me understand that a Convection will serve the purpose. Somehow I'm a little biased towards the Germans and Japanese products (that includes cars too). Now, as for the brands, there are LGs and IFBs with very limited options from Panasonic and Sharp. So, I'll have to be open to Koreans too.
I think if you have the budget, you can buy the one with Grill and convection modes, my guess is you will get the 28Litres capacity, which is the larger one, easily below 15k. My only recommendation is look for a model with a longer warranty period for the Magnetron. This part is the most susceptible to failure and it costs nearly Rs.1500-2000. My friend recently picked up a Samsung microwave with a longer warranty period for the magnetron. Else its just standard 1 year warranty.

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Bosch latest 12 place settings model : SMS66GW01I / SMS66GI01I as these two are latest models of Bosch. (INR ~35k in Flipkart)
Other brand: LG: DFB424FW / DFB424FP which has 14 place settings. (INR~54K in Flipkart)

The above two are my choices based on reviews I saw in Youtube and in various internet sites. However there are brands like IFB, Siemens which have same /similar configuration. If budget is not a constraint LG is a good choice with more space.

Due to the increased interest in dishwashers, a lot of folks from our apartment society in Bangalore have tried to do bulk buying. The first set of folks got good deals in April, however it now seems like a classic Demand and Supply situation and the discounts are not that steep.

However there arent many options and hence I think most people are opting for Bosch. LG seems to be a bit more expensive and there is only one model on offer. Siemens on the other hand has very less dealers around. And IFB, well, the cheapest of the lot, but people seem to prefer Bosch.

Here are the prices we have negotiated for the 3 Bosch models available. If anyone from Bangalore is interested, do let me know and I will add you in that group. However these prices are only valid for bookings made until 7th July.

SMS46KI01I-51500
AFTER DISCOUNT:-43000

SMS66GI01I-44000
AFTER DISCOUNT:-36500

SMS66GW01I:-40000
AFTER DISCOUNT:-33000

MOD NOTE - Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th July 2020 at 15:02. Reason: Mod note attached.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 17:31   #7935
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If anyone from Bangalore is interested, do let me know and I will add you in that group.
SMS66GW01I:-40000
AFTER DISCOUNT:-33000
Thanks for the post. I'm from Trichy. May I know if the bulk booking is done directly with Bosch? In case If I join will they be able to deliver me to Trichy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks