Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 08:05   #9826
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Will hotel room wiring allow such huge power draws? I don't think so. Most hotels will limit power draw at 2 amperes at 240 V. That would limit rated power of the device to 500-550 W. Actually less Or about a 2 cup capacity coffee maker.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th November 2022 at 08:09.
Old 3rd December 2022, 15:44   #9827
BHPian

I am getting interiors done for my new apartment. I have to replace most of the existing electronic appliances as they are mostly more than a decade old. I got most of them from LG and they have served me well over the years. Needed very less of service, and when needed, service was quick.

Now for this new apartment I want to get a new set of appliances. Will sell the current ones or give them away. Basic requirements are:

1. Would like to go for mid-range ones for all of them - neither too costly nor too cheap. A balance between cost and benefits.

2. Company should have existed in India for sometime, selling their appliances in good numbers and have a good service network (at least in Pune where I stay).

3. Should be reasonably energy-efficient. I.e., prefer 5-star AC/refrigerator compared to 3-star ones unless the cost difference is significant.

4. All these will be used by a family of 4 members.

With respect to the above points, I assume that LG and Samsung may satisfy most of them. Except for appliances like chimneys, dryers, air-conditioners, etc., where they may not have any/good products in India.

Need recommendations for both brand and model for the below. Depending on the collective wisdom of this special family that we have. Appreciate in advance any and all help.

All rooms
-----------
1. Ceiling fans. Do I need BLDC or standard ones will do?

Main door
------------
1. Electronic lock. Is this really needed compared to good traditional ones from Godrej or Europa?

Living room
--------------
1. TV for the living room (17.5 feet x 14 feet). Size between 55-65 inches (is it too big for the room size?). 4K resolution.

2. Sound system to go along with the TV. Not a music aficionado. Want clarity of sound in different frequencies. Not keen on thumping bass. Something that can work well for common use cases like music, sports and movies.

Bedroom
-----------
1. Air-conditioners. Room sizes vary between 110 to 143 square feet. So guess 1-ton ones will do.

2. Safety-locker. Will be accommodated within wardrobes. To be used to store jewellery, emergency cash and important documents.

Kitchen
---------
1. Gas stove (not cut-into-counter cook-top). With 4 burners. For our use a 3-burner suffices but family has some superstition against 3.

2. Chimney (with duct). We cook oily and non-veg food.

3. Microwave. In our case we may bake a cake twice a month and grill chicken twice a month. Does convection microwave satisfy our needs or do we need a separate OTG?

4. OTG. Use case is bake cake twice a month and grill chicken twice a month.

5. Mixer-grinder. To be used daily, mainly for grinding. Will be used for both wet and dry grinding.

6. Induction cooker. For those few days where piped-gas supply may get stopped for maintenance.

7. Sandwich griller. For two sandwiches at a time.

8. Water purifier. The water supply is tanker based and will remain so for some more years. The water is hard.

9. Refrigerator (family of 4). Capacity between 300-400 liters (is it too much for general use?). Don't want side by side doors. Need two doors - one for freezer and one for general section.

Utility area
-------------
1. Washer (family of 4). Front-loading. Is it better to wash with hot water in India? If so, should it be with in-built capacity to heat water?

2. Dryer. Front loading.

3. Dish-washer (family of 4).

4. Vacuum cleaner.

5. Inverter. For power cuts though they are not very frequent. 3 bhk apartment. What capacity is needed for 1 light and 1 fan in each room and couple of mobile charging plug-points?

Bathrooms
-------------
1. Water heaters with storage. We generally take between 10-15 min long showers.

Balcony
---------
1. Grill. For grilling chicken, fish and veggies. Use will be very less. May be 4 times year. Smaller size and easy storage preferred as balcony size is not too big.
Old 3rd December 2022, 20:50   #9828
BANNED

We have threads on TVs (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.) and (another one for) home theater (The Home Theater thread) systems - you might be interested.

Go for front load washing machine with a spin speed above 1000 RPM. If you want a dryer, go for one with built in dryer. Your choices would be between LG and Samsung for practically every appliance. Add Whirlpool for fridges. And voltas / bluestar for Air cons. These need to be specific to room size.

Yes, BLDC fans do consumer far less power and usually are controlled by remote. Problem is, these contain electronic circuitry and are susceptible to voltage fluctuations. Atomberg seems to have launched a good mixer grinder. That's a first on the market, AFAIK. The chimneys too seen to come with BLDC fans. Consider adding a lightning protector device in the wiring DB, if you have BLDC fans.

Why do you need an inverter of your assistent has back up generator? I use a 600va ups for the TV and router.

About water heaters - get 15 liter ones and ensure that the outlet on the heater is above the upper level of the shower arm.

If doing the wiring, consider using USB charging stickers on place of 6A sockets near b the bed. Some b switch brands have various variants, that have your A, type C, both, USB + 6 A, and even wifi charging points. Substitute couple of 6 A sockets with b these and you save the tedium of cable cacophony later. Most modular switch brands include these in their lineups.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 04:17   #9829
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If you want a dryer, go for one with built in dryer.
Why? I think it's never a good idea to buy combo stuff. If one of the 2 go bad, you still can't just discard the bad item in the combo.

Quote:

If doing the wiring, consider using USB charging stickers on place of 6A sockets near b the bed.
What is a USB charging sticker?

Last edited by carboy : 4th December 2022 at 04:20.
Old 4th December 2022, 11:39   #9830
BHPian

Hi catchjyoti.

1)As for fans go with bldc ones. Super fan and atomberg are exclusive bldc fan manufacturers

2)Electronic lock - no comparison between traditional ones and smart ones on convenience and the hassle free experience.
I’ll even suggest you to go for smart locks for bedroom doors

3) chimney and burners I’ll suggest Faber, but go for a brand which has an extensive service network in your area

4)dishwasher - I’ve been using a Bosch 13 setting one for the past 3 years without any complaints

5)vacuum cleaner - I’ll suggest a vacuum robot with mopping feature

6)AC - go with a brand which gives the longest warranty.Samsung lg Panasonic Volta’s are of almost same quality, blue star hitachi Mitsubishi O general are the top league.There’s a separate thread for airconditioners

7)Tv 65-75 inch would be the ideal size for a viewing distance of 14 ft for a good cinematic experience.

surge protection devices are a must nowadays to protect the electronic devices irrespective of the reliability of the brand/devices even more so if you go for appliances with inverter technology

Whichever brand or appliances you buy check for the local service network, you won’t regret it

Happy shopping
Dr Alpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 12:09   #9831
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why? I think it's never a good idea to buy combo stuff. If one of the 2 go bad, you still can't just discard the bad item in the combo.
Hmm. It is not 2 devices. One device with extra dryer function. At least, LG has one. Except that drying works only at half capacity of the washer. There seem to be stacked devices, including from LG, and I'm not sure of them.

I had purchased an LG washing machine cum dryer which unfortunately developed snags during demo, and there was no alternate machine in stock. So took a refund. I still suggest lg if going for washing - drying two in one. There are other reviews here for same product.
(One such review was posted by Sam Kapasi, who, unfortunately, is no more - that is what inspired me to buy this, my experience too is recorded in this thread).

Quote:
What is a USB charging sticker?
Sheesh. The wonders of auto correction. I meant a socket.
Old 4th December 2022, 17:36   #9832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. It is not 2 devices. One device with extra dryer function. At least, LG has one. Except that drying works only at half capacity of the washer. There seem to be stacked devices, including from LG, and I'm not sure of them.
I agree.

First of all the drying capacity is half the washing capacity. God knows what they were thinking. Will one wash first and then dry in two cycles?

Unless you have space restraint, get a full blown dryer. They are cheap - cost of a WM and a Dryer are generally less than one with both functions. The stand alone dryer is a full capacity one.

There is a redunduncy in two machines, at least you can use one while the other malfunctions.

https://www.amazon.in/IFB-Dryer-Dry-...s%2C237&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.in/IFB-Dryer-Turb...s%2C237&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.in/White-Westingh...s%2C237&sr=8-7

Of course there are premium ones costing above 40K, but I see no reason for that extra cost.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:11   #9833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Unless you have space restraint, get a full blown dryer. They are cheap - cost of a WM and a Dryer are generally less than one with both functions. The stand alone dryer is a full capacity one.

Of course there are premium ones costing above 40K, but I see no reason for that extra cost.
A cheap stand-alone dryer is such a convenience that makes you wonder why you didn't buy one earlier. Just need to ensure that the place is well-ventilated as the dryer spews out a ton of lint and moisture. The IFB dryers can be wall-mounted and you can hang them above the WM to save space.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:43   #9834
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone here have a LG Dishwasher?

We bought ours in Oct' 20, and right at the end of the two-year warranty, the sump assembly (that houses the heating coil) has failed.

Symptoms: since yesterday, our flat's 16A MCB started tripped about 20min into the cycle of the dishwasher. I isolated it to the dishwasher by trying just geysers / a diff plug for the dishwasher.

The LG technician came today and immediately mentioned the cause of the problem, and that they've had a few similar problems already.

Cost: 4k for the part, 900 for the visit, 600 for transport (since the machine has to be taken to their store for repair).

Old 8th December 2022, 12:15   #9835
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this Galanz one for 13.7K on a FK sale. Doing well as of now and miles better than the dumb IFB one I had earlier.
https://www.flipkart.com/galanz-mois...m1211b76f76128
Old 8th December 2022, 17:01   #9836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Got this Galanz one for 13.7K on a FK sale. Doing well as of now and miles better than the dumb IFB one I had earlier.
https://www.flipkart.com/galanz-mois...m1211b76f76128
Congratulations. I also recommend surfing the e-commerce sites for major discounts - they come at least twice a year, so if you plan ahead you can get what you want at a steep discount.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 20:07   #9837
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Does anyone here have a LG Dishwasher?

We bought ours in Oct' 20, and right at the end of the two-year warranty, the sump assembly (that houses the heating coil) has failed.

Symptoms: since yesterday, our flat's 16A MCB started tripped about 20min into the cycle of the dishwasher. I isolated it to the dishwasher by trying just geysers / a diff plug for the dishwasher.

The LG technician came today and immediately mentioned the cause of the problem, and that they've had a few similar problems already.

Cost: 4k for the part, 900 for the visit, 600 for transport (since the machine has to be taken to their store for repair).

The sump assembly comes with the motor and heating coil. The spare parts diagrams found in Australia 230v and US 110v only show one part number respectively for the assembly containing the heating coil, motor and the plastic holding all those together (Assembly), if that is the case in India. Shouldn't the motor which has 10 year warranty cover it. Since its a single unit according to the part number and it looks like this.
https://partsdr.com/part/abt72989206...asing-assembly

Does yours look like that. In the US in some forum they said LG was willing to give the part for free, 10 year warranty but must pay for labour when the motor failed, in the process they get a new assembly.(In USA Labor is a lot), so some have suggest getting the part and doing a DIY. I don't remember which forum but I read it 2 years back when I got my lg dishwasher.

Also check this

Last edited by aim120 : 8th December 2022 at 20:15.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 08:28   #9838
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, we had a lightning strike last month that blew out a neighbor's ACCL and UPS, damaged multiple appliances etc. Is there any high end stabilizer / device that I can fit to the main BESCOM/DG line to avoid such disasters?
Old 9th December 2022, 09:13   #9839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Does yours look like that.
Thanks!

Yes, my machine seems to be the same unit. I have dropped an complaint to the Head of Customer Service through the LG website; there has been no response to my tweet from two days back, so not expecting much.

Sadly, there is no cycle which doesn't invoke the heating coil: I tried the Express cycle yesterday per the LG technician's suggestion. And that tripped the house's master MCB!

The part has a four day lead time, so looks like the machine will be out of commission for a week.

We've had several LG products over the last two decades, and this is the first time there has been a failure. That too, so soon into the lifecycle.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:26   #9840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Folks, we had a lightning strike last month that blew out a neighbor's ACCL and UPS, damaged multiple appliances etc. Is there any high end stabilizer / device that I can fit to the main BESCOM/DG line to avoid such disasters?
No,Stabilizer will not do that job. You nee a Class C lightning rod on your rooftop and a surge protector at the incoming switch box. Check your earth pit for proper resistance.
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks