Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 07:43   #3241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
The present day Creata with a BS4 1.5L NA engine sells for 15-16L. The 1.4L turbo charged BS6 engine and all the other goodies put together would certainly cost more. 20-21L may be on the higher side. I could be a lakh or two less.
Thank you Vidyadhar for your appreciation.

I agree with whatever you have written on Creta and Hector. Creta anyways was an overpriced vehicle in my view and that makes Seltos GT variants even more overpriced. I think 16-17 in road would have been a value propostition.

Hector, I agree is an underpowered car to an extent I would call it as a boring car to enjoy driving. However in terms of overall real estate, gadgets and toys, it does shine. You feel you are getting more for your 20 lakhs.

Regards

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2019 at 15:38. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 9th October 2019, 08:26   #3242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Earlier today took delivery of my Car (GTX+ DCT) from Rathod Kia (Vapi, Gujarat);

Already clocked aprox 200 kms today;

For people wanting to know about Fuel Economy, im happy to report a respectable number of 15.1 km/l (Vapi to Mumbai sprint)

Stay tuned as the entire delivery process has been filmed & the video shall be out soon which shall highlight my Booking, Dealership Experience, PDI points, Kia India's variant & delivery delay confusions & my initial driving impressions
Congratulations Karan , looking forward to the upload on your YouTube channel. Will you be doing a SWOT analysis as well ? ��

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2019 at 11:27. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 08:28   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post

Hector, I agree is an underpowered car to an extent I would call it as a boring car to enjoy driving. However in terms of overall real estate, gadgets and toys, it does shine. You feel you are getting more for your 20 lakhs.

Regards
Hector diesel is far from being underpowered. Although i do agree the petrol lacks power and it's not an enthusiast's car. But if you're talking vfm, it's right there.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:58   #3244

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Are people getting GTX+ DCT delivery yet? Looks like my SA just forgot about me. I don't understand me booking one week prior to pre booking. I have no clue when the car would be in my hands, thought Dasara which did not happen now I don't know if it will even reach me by Diwali
I have actually gone ahead and asked my dealer to cancel my booking. I've had two test drives, manual and automatic, and I can't help thinking that 22 lakhs on-road is a bit too expensive for just a 5-seater.

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2019 at 07:33. Reason: Compacted
Old 9th October 2019, 12:54   #3245
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I wanted to share an update from my recent trip of over 1000kms on my HTX+ D-AT. I took delivery of my grey car on the 29th, and by 6th I had 1300km on the ODO.

My trip involved around 800km of highways, which included around 200kms of dual lane, no divider highway roads as well. The city drives were mostly in peak B2B traffic snarls. The passengers were me (driver), my wife and my 3yr old.

Here is my detailed review. Since it has become a fairly long post as I wanted to share the full experience with my fellow BHPians, I have purposefully divided the post into two

These are again my personal observations and opinions, and I want to iterate I love the Seltos, despite its nuances and shortcomings (which I have nitpicked below).

For those who have the patience and interest read-on, also let me know what you think of this post

Firstly about the good parts:
  1. As others have mentioned, the space next to the spare on either sides is good enough to keep all your spare cleaning equipment, tyre inflators, etc hidden away leaving you a clean boot.
  2. The wipers worked brilliantly, went through quite a thunderstorm with ease. No complaints from the sunroof as well.
  3. The suspension was very compliant and comfortable, let my li'l one sleep peacefully on those long legs
  4. In-city manoeuvrability was great, the car is sufficiently large to aid this.
  5. The night illumination in the city was great, although the auto lamps are over sensitive and come ON way too early with slightly low light.
  6. The power delivery was great, like all diesels you will love the low-end torque. Loved to drive it on the highways, if only the govt mandated beeps could be turned off.
  7. The ventilated seats were a god-sent, and both me and wife were super relieved that these were there to save our backs every time we had the car parked under the sun.
  8. The visibility around the car, the light steering and the air horn was great too, which helped in those B2B traffic.
  9. The sound mood lights do not distract, the central dimming of all screens also helped significantly on those night drives through the wilderness
  10. Brakes are just excellent! gives a lot of confidence, grip is also decent, with very limited tyre noise.
  11. The configurability of a lot of small things like auto-lock, climate control air-circulation, welcome mirrors, lane change indicators, etc. is superb.
  12. The ICE is very customisable, both the home screen and within Menus, which I found to be very useful. The split screen is also quite helpful as long as you are not using GMaps.
  13. The ECM was great, I have never owned a car with one till now. It should be made standard across!
  14. The seats were very cushy and supportive, I drove continuously multiple times for 5 hour plus, without feeling tired.
  15. The manual opaque headliner blind of the moonroof is much better to have than the translucent cloth roller blind of the MG. It helps keep the car cool when you need to. I had not thought this would be a factor. We enjoyed the sun-roof when the weather permitted and to do some sightseeing in the jungle safari. My daughter loves it!
  16. The FE as shared before were respectable 16-18kmpl on highways and 13-14kmpl in city. Overall FE was close to 15.6kmpl.
  17. UVO Connect app works almost 90% of the time. Managed to impress with the remote start my friends. Although it is quite slow. Geo-fencing and time-fencing is yet to be tested.
  18. AC was a chiller upfront, and the sun-blinds plus the UV cut glass managed to keep the sun out quite a bit.

The Bad:
  1. It may be the colour and the size of the car, but this car doesn't grab attention of others around you like say a MG or a XUV (when it was new), definitely blends in.
  2. We had packed an umbrella style baby stroller, a medium sized suitcase, one small cabin bag and a small cartoon.- Given the height of the parcel shelf and the stroller (which required the entire width of the boot), you cannot stand the medium sized bag on its side and rest the parcel shelf (which restricts its usage drastically), which meant that no matter how I tried, until I got rid of the small cartoon, I had to keep the parcel shelf slightly raised. This was not even a consideration worth having in my XUV, it would have taken a fully assembled kids bike alongside without any fuss. This may be also due to the absence of a parcel shelf.
  3. Engine is muted from 3rd gear onwards, but you definitely hear the diesel clatter on idle and on lower gears without the music to mask it. Could have been better.
  4. Cabin Sound insulation from outside noise should also have been better (XUV was definitely better than this)
  5. No navigation prompt from G-Maps in MID was sorely missed (this was there in the Hector). This is especially handy as the GMaps uses the whole ICE screen and you can't really multi-task with the split screen like in other applications. This can only be done if you remain in the android auto apps area.
  6. The MID shows very little information. I would have liked at least 2 trip meters. Instead you get one trip and one accumulated drive meter (which I used to measure tank-full mileage). I would have also liked the instantaneous FE Gauge together on one screen with these trip meters.
  7. The TPMS takes a while to update once you start driving, it remains on the higher side to the reading at various petrol pumps. I managed to get a puncture on the 2nd day in Delhi (a largish screw went through the front driver side tyre). After getting the puncture fixed though and getting 34PSI filled, I had to stop twice to get it checked at different pumps again but the error would not go away. Finally got a pump to take it all the way to 40PSI and wait for the error to go away after a few seconds and then bring back to 34, which solved it. This is super annoying given pumps in cities are super busy to do all this for you. Also UVO connect doesn't show TPMS?!!
  8. The extended DRL inside the Nose Grill are only on when the vehicle is parked and ON, as soon as you start moving, only the DRLs within the headlight unit remain illuminated. I found this to be extremely weird. The SA told me this is not to dazzle the on coming traffic :P
  9. Even though the white LEDs are very bright, in pitch-dark highway runs, my eyes would have still preferred yellow light. May be its just me!
  10. As has been said earlier, the counter-intuitive scroll down for the next track on the steering control will take getting used to.
  11. The rear vents airflow regulator being built in the air purifier system meant, that every time you needed to cool the rear passengers quickly, you will need to manually increase the fan speed from the air purifier menu. This should have been linked to the fan-speed of the front vents.
  12. I am yet to find a sweet spot on the equalizer, also there are no pre-sets (to toggle quickly depending on the song genre) and you have only Bass, Treble and Mid to play with. I would have preferred more adjustment variables.
  13. The reserve kicks in only at around 50km of range, which I found to be too low. It should ideally indicate reserve around the 100km range mark.
  14. While a lot of system settings on the ICE should only be restricted to be fiddled while the vehicle is not-moving/parked, there are still some like sound-mood lights, etc. which shouldn't be in this bucket. Especially when you have a passenger to fiddle with these.
  15. Two ICE buttons for NAV and MAPS is a glaring stupidity and defies logic, especially where you have none for 'Home' , 'Android Auto/Carplay' or 'Mute'
  16. The dealer is still struggling with FasTAG activation and also has still not given me the Extended Warranty papers.

All in all, it was a memorable and enjoyable trip except the PART-2, which I will pen down soon, where I will talk about an accident that I had due to our poor highway conditions. Everyone was completely fine, and the only damage was to the car

SELTOS is a brilliant car (albeit not perfect), and like most of my past and present ones will be a long-term companion for many-many miles. I look forward to that!

Last edited by AGwagon : 9th October 2019 at 12:57.
AGwagon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 14:04   #3246
BHPian

[quote=Roadster17;4671255]Finally, I was able to do the coveted test drive of Seltos DCT GTX variant last week. Here are my two cents on it. I will try to keep it as simple as possible.

On a lighter note. Somehow there always seems to be a perception that a new car, whichever one that may be, is seen to be overpriced.

I bought a brand new Ambassador in 1976 for Rs. 32,000/- Everyone that I spoke to said, "What, you paid 32K for this new car. Too Much".

I had that car with me for 15 years. It game me excellent service. I sold it in 1991 just because I was moving overseas to take up a new job. Otherwise I wouldn't have sold it. It was very well maintained. I could safely take it to any part of the country at any time. Once we even drove up to Rohtang Pass at 14,000 feet.

Vidyadhar
Shivaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 14:43   #3247
BHPian

It is quite funny to see how you get into a vicious cycle reading all these posts. U start here someone cribs it is expensive, then there is comparison with Creta which is older model without BS6 and everyone knows the newer one to arrive shortly is going to be more expensive.
Then I go to Jeep Compass page as I am interested in that car too and folks say it is ridiculously expensive and compare it to Tiguan with discounts. I go to Tiguan page and folks say are you crazy to buy a 30+ lakh without even reverse camera on the lower variant and compare it with Tucson and say rear seat comfort is so good. I then go to Tucson thinking this is the car and folks say ride quality is harsh and then say may be Superb. I go to Superb page and folks say may be Octavia top end is better. Then to Octavia and you are guided back to elsewhere.

Finally I realised you really need to prioritise and see what ticks your checkboxes and go with it. There is simply no perfect car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogin View Post
I've had two test drives, manual and automatic, and I can't help thinking that 22 lakhs on-road is a bit too expensive for just a 5-seater.
Well I am not contesting the price really, I feel 21 lakh OTR Bangalore for GTX+ DCT is fair enough considering it' BS6 and has a ton of features. No complaints there but where is the car is the question I have

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2019 at 15:37. Reason: back to back posts merged
springisking is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 15:22   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
It is quite funny to see how you get into a vicious cycle reading all these posts. U start here someone cribs it is expensive, then there is comparison with Creta which is older model without BS6 and everyone knows the newer one to arrive shortly is going to be more expensive.
Then I go to Jeep Compass page as I am interested in that car too and folks say it is ridiculously expensive and compare it to Tiguan with discounts. I go to Tiguan page and folks say are you crazy to buy a 30+ lakh without even reverse camera on the lower variant and compare it with Tucson and say rear seat comfort is so good. I then go to Tucson thinking this is the car and folks say ride quality is harsh and then say may be Superb. I go to Superb page and folks say may be Octavia top end is better. Then to Octavia and you are guided back to elsewhere.

Finally I realised you really need to prioritise and see what ticks your checkboxes and go with it. There is simply no perfect car!!
I agree with you. Have booked GTX+DCT and many people have told me to consider HG in this price as it is bigger car, but i personally don't trust the brand MG and doesn't need a big car. 90% of my time in the car is spent alone from work to home and home to work.
People should look into their own requirement and what suits them rather than following the general view as to which model/car is vfm in general terms.
sidenzo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 17:20   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
I agree with you. Have booked GTX+DCT and many people have told me to consider HG in this price as it is bigger car, but i personally don't trust the brand MG and doesn't need a big car. 90% of my time in the car is spent alone from work to home and home to work.
People should look into their own requirement and what suits them rather than following the general view as to which model/car is vfm in general terms.
Absolutely my friend. Every car is different and so is every individual. Everyone should prepare a checklist of their needs and priority and then evaluate any prospective car. No car is perfect and is 100% suitable for all. I drive a Jeep, but there are some attributes of Seltos, which I would prefer and then there are some from Harrier or even Hector. End of the day "a human being can not be satisfied ever". I started looking for a bigger car and test drove Verna first. Ended up buying Jeep compass which is double the price and now I want a BMW 330i.
Old 9th October 2019, 20:41   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post
Thank you! This is the gravity grey colour. So far, I’m getting FE of 12.5. Expect it to stay between 10 and 13 as I mostly drive in the city with the AC always on. If there was highway drove involved, perhaps FE would’ve been better.

Depending on how much you drove daily and consequently how important FE is, should be your deciding factor.
So how do you like the GTX+ DCT so far? What accessories did you get?

Can you share pre-delivery inspection checklist (PDI) as well?
Old 9th October 2019, 21:03   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
[*] The extended DRL inside the Nose Grill are only on when the vehicle is parked and ON, as soon as you start moving, only the DRLs within the headlight unit remain illuminated. I found this to be extremely weird. The SA told me this is not to dazzle the on coming traffic :P
Are you sure about this? I have seen a few ones driving with the entire strip illuminated. It honestly looks badly over done to me. What do you guys think?
omranga98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 23:10   #3252
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamera13 View Post
So how do you like the GTX+ DCT so far? What accessories did you get?

Can you share pre-delivery inspection checklist (PDI) as well?
I’m thoroughly enjoying it. The ride is so smooth when I’m driving sedately with seem less gear shifts. And then when you want to have a bit of fun, just press harder on the pedal and the car is eager to zip. The only other car I would appreciate, after this and south of 30 lacs, would be an Octavia. And that’s saying something.

As for the accessories, I just got the carpet mats (which I feel are nicer looking than the other 7D and 3D options), a boot mat, cushions (which I’ve paid for but yet to receive) and a boot organiser (I have a fair bit of things in the boot like a tyre inflator, a vacuum etc. ). I did get the dustbin but took it out after driving a few kilometers as it rattles when you pump up the music. Would be replacing that with a simple silicon bin from amazon or something.

For the PDI checklist, I just followed this : https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list
ADB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 06:08   #3253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post
I’m thoroughly enjoying it. The ride is so smooth when I’m driving sedately with seem less gear shifts. And then when you want to have a bit of fun, just press harder on the pedal and the car is eager to zip. The only other car I would appreciate, after this and south of 30 lacs, would be an Octavia. And that’s saying something.

For the PDI checklist, I just followed this : https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list
Thx a lot; I sent the PDI to my dad so he can use it as a guideline. We also booked a DCT GTX+ withOUT test drive Looks like we'll go ahead anyway since reviews are fine.

Quick question - How do you decode KIA VIN? So is your GTX+ a 2019 model or a 2020 model?

Last edited by panamera13 : 10th October 2019 at 06:10.
Old 10th October 2019, 07:50   #3254
BHPian

Wow, I just saw a post on the Seltos FB page where someone has already taken the car to Ladakh! Looks like he has purchased it in Jammu though.

Last edited by springisking : 10th October 2019 at 07:53.
Old 10th October 2019, 08:28   #3255
BHPian

So since the past few weeks, I've been thinking a lot on the Seltos as the next buy to replace our 1.0L EcoSport Manual that completed 3yrs in August. I am genuinely impressed with the Seltos at ~20.3L on road with the amount of features, quality and ride comfort.

Our running is just 5kms per day on an average. So Diesel 'technically' doesn't make sense.

This car will be driven mostly by my dad. And since traffic is crazy, an automatic transmission is preferred.

Now, the problem is, I've read 100s of issues on different forums and ownership experiences on the dry type DCT worldwide on Kias and Hyundais about premature wear, jerking, etc.. and these transmissions don't like to be used in high heat and bumper to bumper traffic which is exactly the usage our car has.

The torque converter AT is only on the Diesel; and although Diesel isn't the preferred option, I was seriously impressed with its NVH and overall response. Price difference between Diesel top end and petrol DCT top trim is just ₹35k.

Heart says petrol 1.4L DCT, but mind says 1.4L petrol manual just because of the reliability issue - if I have to stick with the petrol.

I've already started to see issues and reports on the Venue DCT in traffic conditions with transmission temperature showing higher than usual readings.

Kia warranty statement has a grey area wherein they say wear and tear components like spark plugs, belts, clutch facing/lining, etc are not covered. This is worrying, as they can say the DCT wear on the clutch is not our problem.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome and appreciated. This is very confusing.
rutwij is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks