Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2019, 09:03   #3256
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post
Are you sure about this? I have seen a few ones driving with the entire strip illuminated. It honestly looks badly over done to me. What do you guys think?
Yes, I am sure mate. To me it gave the car a distinct look with almost merging DRLs, but I guess Kia also thought what you would have and decided to only make it functional at stationary, which frankly I do not understand the purpose of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutwij View Post
So since the past few weeks, I've been thinking a lot on the Seltos as the next buy to replace our 1.0L EcoSport Manual that completed 3yrs in August. I am genuinely impressed with the Seltos at ~20.3L on road with the amount of features, quality and ride comfort.

Our running is just 5kms per day on an average. So Diesel 'technically' doesn't make sense.

This car will be driven mostly by my dad. And since traffic is crazy, an automatic transmission is preferred.
Boss firstly if your running is only 5km average and you are selling a 3yr old car, does it just have 5k km on the ODO, why replace then?

If the only reason to replace if an Auto, then why even bother to consider the 1.4Manual. I would say for this kinda low mileage there is no point even considering the DCT issues as I am sure it will survive this small daily run with ease. Please don't get worried for your usage, as I am sure a 5km daily, meaning 2.5km either way of heaviest B2B traffic will also not even sweat the DCT at all.

But, I would still suggest if it is only 2.5km why take a new car, and if you want to do it for your mileage a Hector DCT may make more sense if you are fine taking a bigger car.

Last edited by AGwagon : 10th October 2019 at 09:09.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:48   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
So since the past few weeks, I've been thinking a lot on the Seltos as the next buy to replace our 1.0L EcoSport Manual that completed 3yrs in August. I am genuinely impressed with the Seltos at ~20.3L on road with the amount of features, quality and ride comfort.

Our running is just 5kms per day on an average. So Diesel 'technically' doesn't make sense.

This car will be driven mostly by my dad. And since traffic is crazy, an automatic transmission is preferred.

Now, the problem is, I've read 100s of issues on different forums and ownership experiences on the dry type DCT worldwide on Kias and Hyundais about premature wear, jerking, etc.. and these transmissions don't like to be used in high heat and bumper to bumper traffic which is exactly the usage our car has.

The torque converter AT is only on the Diesel; and although Diesel isn't the preferred option, I was seriously impressed with its NVH and overall response. Price difference between Diesel top end and petrol DCT top trim is just ₹35k.

Heart says petrol 1.4L DCT, but mind says 1.4L petrol manual just because of the reliability issue - if I have to stick with the petrol.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome and appreciated. This is very confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

Boss firstly if your running is only 5km average and you are selling a 3yr old car, does it just have 5k km on the ODO, why replace then?

If the only reason to replace if an Auto, then why even bother to consider the 1.4Manual. I would say for this kinda low mileage there is no point even considering the DCT issues as I am sure it will survive this small daily run with ease. Please don't get worried for your usage, as I am sure a 5km daily, meaning 2.5km either way of heaviest B2B traffic will also not even sweat the DCT at all.

But, I would still suggest if it is only 2.5km why take a new car, and if you want to do it for your mileage a Hector DCT may make more sense if you are fine taking a bigger car.
Agree with AGwagon here. rutwij you really don't need to replace the Ecosport at all. I mean 5 km is a distance anyone can manage pretty easily with a manual. I'm sure your Ecosport will still be in top shape and usable for many many more kilometres.

However, if you still want to replace it then I would suggest that you look at the petrol IVT variant. You don't need to worry about DCT issues and nor would you miss out on petrol. I think some members here have driven the IVT variant and quite liked it. You can go through the thread and check what they think.

Hope this helps.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:55   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Agree with AGwagon here. rutwij you really don't need to replace the Ecosport at all. I mean 5 km is a distance anyone can manage pretty easily with a manual. I'm sure your Ecosport will still be in top shape and usable for many many more kilometres.

However, if you still want to replace it then I would suggest that you look at the petrol IVT variant. You don't need to worry about DCT issues and nor would you miss out on petrol. I think some members here have driven the IVT variant and quite liked it. You can go through the thread and check what they think.

Hope this helps.
Nikhil I agree with you, however, the IVT tactfully doesn't come in the top trims, which as a result misses on a lot of creature comforts that might be the temptation behind taking a new car.
Old 10th October 2019, 10:12   #3259
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamera13 View Post
Thx a lot; I sent the PDI to my dad so he can use it as a guideline. We also booked a DCT GTX+ withOUT test drive Looks like we'll go ahead anyway since reviews are fine.

Quick question - How do you decode KIA VIN? So is your GTX+ a 2019 model or a 2020 model?
I honestly don’t know how to decode it yet. Considering it was manufactured in September 2019, it will be the 2019 model.
Old 10th October 2019, 10:14   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamera13 View Post
Quick question - How do you decode KIA VIN? So is your GTX+ a 2019 model or a 2020 model?
Refer this post here: ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Open the link and create an account. Feed the required VIN to get details.

https://service.hyundai-motor.com/euro5/login.tiles
I have tried decoding my Kia's VIN with the above instruction and it works.
binoyyj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 10:18   #3261
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the others on no need to replace the Ecosport but that’s your call.

My two cents - I have had 4 or 5 runs over the past couple of days where I’ve driven 10 kms in over an hour with lot of stretches of Bumper to bumper traffic and stalled traffic. I kept monitoring the transmission temperature of the DCT and it didn’t even cross the half way mark even once. I know that the car is new but still.

And oh, it gave me a mileage of over 12 each tome (according to the trip computer) despite flooring it a couple of times to overtake / enjoy the empty stretches.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2019 at 10:28.
ADB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 11:50   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post
Happy to share that I took delivery of my GTX+ DCT too, today.

Drove it around 70 kms around the city, with light traffic. Idled for a while to figure out all the settings. Getting initial mileage of 13.5 km per litre. I did have a heavy right foot at times as I just couldn’t resist. Will share a detailed review soon.
This color looks stunning, is it black?
Old 10th October 2019, 12:10   #3263
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
This color looks stunning, is it black?
This is gravity grey. Looks like bluish grey in bright sunlight and blackish in the shade, depending on the angle.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:18   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I think AT makes a lot of sense for a short commute with heavy traffic. Dealing with bad traffic on a manual transmission car with a heavy clutch can affect the mood of the driver, and possibly affect his health also.

If the financial hit is not a problem, I see no problem in replacing the Ecosport.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 12:40   #3265
BHPian

I recently drove around 650 Km's in Kerala during the holidays and let me tell you S.E.L.T.O.S is going to be a blockbuster for Kia. It was raining Seltos everywhere and in every color. I saw red,grey,blue,black and most commonly sighted was white.
To me the car looks stunning when it crosses by you. Not too intimidating but not tame as well. It exactly felt like watching a refined, beautified and a bit more imposing Creta which is going to be ambushed by Seltos. When you see it at your IRVM, the first glimpse makes you hooked onto that LED's and you start to stare more until it zooms past you. I always feel Kerala is a very mature market that laps up a successful vehicle very quickly and is a good indicator for gauging success of a car. I have personally felt this with all recent cars be it Hector,WagonR, Venue,Nexon (lots of sightings during early days) and also cars like Captur,Kicks,Santro,Harrier(very less to rare sightings during early days). I feel Seltos is going to be the next big thing. Good debut Kia.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 13:01   #3266
BHPian

Thanks all for your comments and I sort of agree - with my kind of running, I may not see those issues crop up in the 1st place if I were to get the DCT. The reason behind thinking of getting the Seltos is to get all the creature comforts and tech (in the GTX+); which the IVT doesn't have; so the IVT is out.

Also, we do occasionally go to Lonavala/Pune (once in 6-8 months) with 5 of us. Knowing Ford's poor resale, I was thinking this is the right time to get a new car vs waiting another 2 years and getting peanuts from the EcoSport as at that time, it would have been 5 years old.

Will TD the Petrol DCT and the Diesel AT again to double check and see if I can make up my mind.

- If I may ask, what are the real world FE numbers owners are seeing currently for Petrol DCT & Diesel AT respectively?
- Also, the extended warranty that Kia offers, is that for additional 1 year or 2 years over the standard 3 years?
rutwij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 13:10   #3267
Senior - BHPian

People who are choosing the GTX+ over the GTX, may I ask what are the main reasons for doing so? For me, GTX is providing all the safety features which I am looking for and I found the sunroof to be too small, almost gimmicky. Also, I liked the black interiors of the GTX more than the black-beige of the GTX+. I have never used ventilated seats. So, not sure if it makes a lot of difference to go for the GTX+.

Another decision I need to make about manual or DCT. I could not get a test drive of the manual version here. If anyone has done a test drive, please comment on the clutch (travel/hardness) and the gear shifting experience. There are so many issues reported on dual clutch gearboxes (particularly the dry-clutch ones) from all manufacturers like VW, Skoda, Ford, Hyundai, KIA that it really needs a leap of faith or pure ignorance to buy these cars. On top of it, Kia does not have 6 or 7 year extended warranty options like Skoda/VW. Sometimes, I feel researching too much is making it too difficult to buy a car
Old 10th October 2019, 13:46   #3268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Another decision I need to make about manual or DCT. I could not get a test drive of the manual version here. If anyone has done a test drive, please comment on the clutch (travel/hardness) and the gear shifting experience. There are so many issues reported on dual clutch gearboxes (particularly the dry-clutch ones) from all manufacturers like VW, Skoda, Ford, Hyundai, KIA that it really needs a leap of faith or pure ignorance to buy these cars. On top of it, Kia does not have 6 or 7 year extended warranty options like Skoda/VW. Sometimes, I feel researching too much is making it too difficult to buy a car
We experienced the ventilated seats feature during the TD and felt it for the first few seconds. After that the experience was at par with the diesel car which didn't have ventilated seats. Given an option, I will forgo this feature as the Seltos's AC seems very good.

I have TDed the GT manual. The clutch is very soft but the travel is long. The ribbed 'sports' pedals(the floor mats could be a culprit too) were sticky to my shoes and I had trouble releasing the clutch smoothly. Gearshifts were smooth and very good.

I TDed the diesel manual and never faced any issue with the clutch release at all. But the pedals were different in the car (and so could have been the floor mats).

Edit: The Bangalore and Bhubaneswar dealers have quoted delivery 'within' a month of booking. I am looking at the HTK/HTK+ diesel MT.

Last edited by ashis89 : 10th October 2019 at 13:51. Reason: Waiting period update
Old 10th October 2019, 13:51   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
People who are choosing the GTX+ over the GTX, may I ask what are the main reasons for doing so? For me, GTX is providing all the safety features which I am looking for and I found the sunroof to be too small, almost gimmicky. Also, I liked the black interiors of the GTX more than the black-beige of the GTX+. I have never used ventilated seats. So, not sure if it makes a lot of difference to go for the GTX+.

This is a subjective response for each buyer, I can share mine. For me for a longer city drive of 80 kms , automatic made sense, plus the CVT is not available in the top spec line. For a person who spends 2 hours each way on the way back sound quality and cooking is Paramount hence opted for the top of the line . The only exception here for me was that I was the only one who wanted a diesel in my house hence gave up on the diesel to the family pressure.

P.s.: I stay in Delhi hence the 10/15 year rule impacts the buying decision big time.
Old 10th October 2019, 14:52   #3270
BHPian

Dear All,

I've booked the GTX+ DCT just now. In Chennai it takes about 5 to 6 months for the delivery to come through for this car, the sales person told me. I am reaching Chennai on 1st March. Hopefully the car will be ready for delivery by then. The Chennai onroad price is 20,68,507. My wife and I opted for the Intense Red.

For the last 6 months I have been mulling over which car to buy. The ones that I were considering were (not necessarily in that order): City, Verna, Vento, Creta. All petrol automatic. But now after the arrival of the Seltos and after reading the various reviews I have decided on the GTX+ DCT even without a test drive, since I am in Australia at present.

Cheers

Vidyadhar
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks