Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2019, 10:28   #3991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Do you have any proof that these gearboxes respond poorly to power? As long as you don't exceed the torque rating of the transmission of the car, it shouldn't be a problem.

From what I gather (unless I'm completely off), Hyundai/Kia makes 2 7speed DCTs. The D7F22 and the D7F34, which are rated of 22Kg.m and 34Kg.m of torque respectively. If I not wrong, the 1.4T makes 242Nm of torque, which translates to 24.6Kgm. If the former gearbox is used, you should really not mess with the car. If the latter is used, you have decent headroom for the tune.
It doesn't really matter whether the DCT can handle more torque or not. What matters is the fact that you are risking warranty on a new product and a new gearbox.

Even Volkswagen's DSG can handle 250Nm of torque on the Vento and Polo, yet the TSIs making a lot less than that have gearbox failiures. The DCT is unproven. All DCTs that have been sold in India have had one sort of problem or the other. And Kia's DCT is not going to get any benefit of doubt here. Period.

Even if the gearbox can handle all of the torque, you are still essentially voiding warranty on a complex turbo petrol and DCT combination. The GDI also has its own set of issues in other countries and is yet to prove itself in India. I wouldn't want to give the smallest of chances to the manufacturer to void my warranty under such cases.

All in all, remapping is easier said than done. I say this because my own car is remapped and the amount of pros only outweigh the cons when you are:

- Completely out of warranty cover

- Are bored of the car and want to add a desirability quotient to it so that you can hold on to it for a longer time
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:16   #3992
BANNED

Kia Seltos modified off-road variants showcased at dealer meet.

Source: Rushlane
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltosmodifiedoffroad-1.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltosmodifiedoffroad.jpg  

wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:32   #3993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrust View Post
Terrible experience with Seltos 1.5 Petrol - Manual.
We started off for Dalhousie from Delhi on 7th night in my cousin's newly brought Seltos which had done close to only 2200 Km on the ODO and had been recently serviced before the trip. We reached Dalhousie next morning travelling approx 560 kms without any issues. The hill drive starts after crossing Pathankot and
Link to the boiling coolant

[url]https://Youtu.be/

Nothing concrete was given as the root cause for the issue though the technical team (thanks for their support) will scan the car this week in Delhi/Noida to get more details
You said this happened in Dalhousie and when they checked the car in Pathankot it was completely fine. Did a quick google check and altitude of Dalhousie is approx. 1900 mt above MSL whereas Pathankot is 330 mt above MSL.

Could it be a case of inadequate testing by Kia prior to launch? The coolant boiling at high altitude sure rings a bell. Boiling point of liquid drops with reduced pressure at high altitude. BP of water for instance drop 0.5 deg C for every 500 ft rise in altitude. Ofcouse coolant science has progressed far ahead for such a straight forward explanation. But just saying
Old 15th November 2019, 12:59   #3994
Senior - BHPian

A digital image of the KIA Seltos created by Yogi Sejwal Design.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltosoffroadmodel1.jpg

Source: http://https://news.maxabout.com/car...sejwal-design/
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 13:12   #3995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

I still was able to save almost 20k off the dealer quote which was missing many of the above covers.

Which insurance company did you opt for? How much did you pay overall for all the covers?
Old 15th November 2019, 13:22   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I did try it and it worked, although the system settings on the ICE were lost, the past trip info etc. on my UVO app was still there as it is backed up to the cloud. Sure enough, the days for which the problem was there, there was no trip info, which suggests that the fault is with the ICE communicating with the network.

I realized the volume increase and decrease is also to be done from the screen (not from the steering controls) also the press on the version banner after adjusting the volume should also be a single press.
Is yours a HT line or GT line? Learnt later, that this work around is for the GT line only. Hence didn't work on my car.
Will go to the Service Centre one of these days.
Old 15th November 2019, 13:24   #3997
BHPian

I too found some images, maybe from the same dealers meet as posted above! Loved it how it looks in CAMO!!

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_2904.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_2905.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_2906.jpg
Kpaaz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 13:26   #3998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Is yours a HT line or GT line? Learnt later, that this work around is for the GT line only. Hence didn't work on my car.
Will go to the Service Centre one of these days.
HTX+ D-AT. It works on both
Old 15th November 2019, 13:34   #3999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
It doesn't really matter whether the DCT can handle more torque or not. What matters is the fact that you are risking warranty on a new product and a new gearbox.

Even Volkswagen's DSG can handle 250Nm of torque on the Vento and Polo, yet the TSIs making a lot less than that have gearbox failiures. The DCT is unproven. All DCTs that have been sold in India have had one sort of problem or the other. And Kia's DCT is not going to get any benefit of doubt here. Period.

Even if the gearbox can handle all of the torque, you are still essentially voiding warranty on a complex turbo petrol and DCT combination. The GDI also has its own set of issues in other countries and is yet to prove itself in India. I wouldn't want to give the smallest of chances to the manufacturer to void my warranty under such cases.

All in all, remapping is easier said than done. I say this because my own car is remapped and the amount of pros only outweigh the cons when you are:

- Completely out of warranty cover

- Are bored of the car and want to add a desirability quotient to it so that you can hold on to it for a longer time
-I don't have a problem with most of your points in general. After a certain threshold, no amount of software tuning can make a car exciting, especially in the case of a non-performance budget vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Please don't go in for any sort of remaps. Dry clutch DCTs in general and specific to Kia cars as well have iffy reliability already and tuning it will put further stress on the clutch packs and the gearbox itself.
But stop passing of your own unproven opinion as "facts".

-VW's DSG problems could have stemmed from poor design choices or manufacturing defects etc. This does not mean Kia's DCT is the same. Currently, the world's best gearboxes are DCTs. Mclaren, Bugatti, Porsche PDK etc.

In fact, Hyundai's halo car in the USA, the Veloster N is also getting the 7speed DCT.
raystriker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 13:48   #4000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-VW's DSG problems could have stemmed from poor design choices or manufacturing defects etc. This does not mean Kia's DCT is the same. Currently, the world's best gearboxes are DCTs. Mclaren, Bugatti, Porsche PDK etc.
Your points are valid & DCTs as a whole should not be presumed to be bound to fail. We'll have to wait for outcome of the recent units (including KIA's) in few years to know. Without statistics, all are good or all are bad. Doesn't count.

Just to keep things in perspective though - I don't think the premium ones you mentioned use dry clutches. The issues are inherently seen in dry clutch units. Wet-clutch DCTs are generally reliable. Including the DSGs. So this isn't a like-for-like comparison between a Porsche and KIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpaaz View Post
I too found some images, maybe from the same dealers meet as posted above! Loved it how it looks in CAMO!!
This one looks drool-worthy. The person who imagined & realized this - deserves an applause. If it was available for actual civilian purchase - I'd pick one instantly. Looks all ready for a safari (or surgical strike? ).

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th November 2019 at 13:56.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:03   #4001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-I don't have a problem with most of your points in general. After a certain threshold, no amount of software tuning can make a car exciting, especially in the case of a non-performance budget vehicle.

But stop passing of your own unproven opinion as "facts".

In fact, Hyundai's halo car in the USA, the Veloster N is also getting the 7speed DCT.
The only reason why I am replying to your post is because you claim that my opinion is unproven.

The flagship you mentioned in this post is itself facing DCT issues. Before you reply saying that my opinions are unproven, let me tell you that a law suit means a number of cars are facing the problem in the USA and not just one. Here's the link:
http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2016...-lawsuit.shtml

As for my claims, they are founded on the above facts and only then have I formed an opinion which I am obviously not going to change.

More importantly, my job was to caution the OP against remapping his car (not to debate on the reliability of the DCT). Remapping requires one to consider the worst case and looking at the history of all dry clutch DCTs in India and the article above, I cautioned him that remapping will only put more strain on a gearbox and engine which is yet unproven in Indian conditions and doesn't have the best of images in international markets to start of with.

You seem to be giving the gearbox a benefit of doubt (I have no qualms with that). I won't. But that doesn't mean you claim that my allegations against it are baseless or I have formed an unproven opinion just because I have a different one.

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th November 2019 at 14:06.
vishy76 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:06   #4002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpaaz View Post
Love it. Like the Creta this one is also going to be Mod Friendly, waiting to get some nice accessories for the Seltos soon to personalise and standout from the herd!

Guys, I have just realized the KIA UVO app has again stopped connecting for me. It worked fine up till 8AM this morning. Can anyone else check and confirm?
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:57   #4003
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have just realized the KIA UVO app has again stopped connecting for me. It worked fine up till 8AM this morning. Can anyone else check and confirm?
Just checked. Mine is working just fine. Attaching a screenshot. See the the data for “last updated”.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-56ea098a44634b6c8eb45ca092450043.png  

ADB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 15:28   #4004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post
Just checked. Mine is working just fine. Attaching a screenshot. See the the data for “last updated”.
Mine has started to work again as well. Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 16:44   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Contact your SA. A new update is available for UVO which will resolve the issue.
Wow Great! Thanks for the update. Will try checking with my SA.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks