Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What was your Scorpio-N booking outcome ?
Booked myself & got introductory pricing 44 21.36%
Booked myself but did not get the introductory pricing 46 22.33%
Booked via dealer & got introductory pricing 11 5.34%
Booked via dealer but did not get introductory pricing 34 16.50%
Fake booking by dealer without my consent 29 14.08%
Other – please describe in comment 42 20.39%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2022, 14:27   #976
BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I am cancelling a Z4 Diesel AT variant, Dazzling Silver colour. Interested members can check with Koncept automobile Dealership, Platina Building, MG Road, Gurgaon for availability.
Can you please share the reason behind your cancelling your Z4 booking? What is the alternative you are considering? Asking as I am also in the same boat i.e. toying with the idea of whether to cancel the booking or not.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 20:48   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Can you please share the reason behind your cancelling your Z4 booking? What is the alternative you are considering? Asking as I am also in the same boat i.e. toying with the idea of whether to cancel the booking or not.
My usage case is the most important factor behind the decision. It will remain under-utilised. There is no point keeping a big car just for status. I don't need a 7 seater. Scorpio N is not a good 5 seater with folded 3rd row, considering interior space and bootspace management. And we are only two occupants when we go for trips or weekly shopping/ grocery/ movie.

Another major reason is Scorpio N is not suitable for hills, mountains. What I understand from the suggestions of seniors here, Scorpio N can topple very easily and can go out of control very quickly. Now I always worry for safety while driving on highways (I won a near zero safety rated Swift). With Scorpio N, I need to be extra careful to drive it safely in the hills.

I needed a well built, reliable and good automatic car with balanced road behaviour for city usage, safe highway driving and good for hills, with reliability. Someone suggested, buy a Brezza- it ticks all the boxes. However, I didn't see any value in Brezza for 16 Lakhs. Scorpio N was love at first sight for both of us. And girls/ ladies always love the Scorpio, be it the earlier versions or this new N avatar. Scorpio N Z4 AT (17.5-18.2 lakhs for petrol/ diesel) was also not a stressful financial stretch. I could manage the extra 2 lakhs.

XUV700 and XUV300 are also suggested by seniors. However XUV300 doesn't have a good AT, small bootspace. XUV700 is out of my budget (AX5 Petrol AT is approx 21 lakhs). Also, I do not like those Cheetah type styling of both the XUVs. Scorpio N is one of the cleanest and sober design of Mahindra in my eyes, except a dull back profile. Z4 is fairly feature loaded with almost all the minimum features I needed, except the electrically foldable ORVM. Sunglass holder and Driver's seat lumbar support are very good features which I didn't know that Z4 will get. Both the petrol and diesel AT were good to drive and shift. Though I drive MT and my AT driving is very limited, didn't face any single problem or issue. Ergonomics were good for me from the driving position. There was absolutely no problem in clear view while taking turns or U-turns in Scorpio N (Harrier is ZERO here and Scorpio N is 10/10 for me).

Last edited by RijuC : 16th December 2022 at 20:58.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 00:47   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another major reason is Scorpio N is not suitable for hills, mountains. What I understand from the suggestions of seniors here, Scorpio N can topple very easily and can go out of control very quickly. Now I always worry for safety while driving on highways (I won a near zero safety rated Swift). With Scorpio N, I need to be extra careful to drive it safely in the hills.
From a utility perspective, I don't suggest you to buy one. ScorpioN however is a very good vehicle in the hills, it will not ride like an Innova or handle like a sedan and one needs to take care to ensure passenger comfort, other than that there is no fear of vehicle going off the road. You will not believe how fast a Thar CRDe with leaf springs in the rear can carve up a mountain road, I have experienced it in the hands of a Nilgiris born driver - now imagine this thing.

Scorpio N is extensively tested in the Nilgiris, (Thar too) ,local drivers there can provide very valuable feedback. Besides hill stations down south are exclusively Mahindra territory - from the time of Willys, they probably will remain that way, their BOF vehicles are the life line.
Kosfactor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:14   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart22 View Post
Hello Team,

Is this the case with everyone that has been taking deliveries lately? Mahindra has increased prices twice, once in Nov and recently on Dec 6th.
Can someone share the actual increase in price by variants?
Old 17th December 2022, 10:24   #980
BHPian

Quote:
...I was informed that except the Exshowroom price (price protected) itself, all other items like RTO, insurance would be calculated on the latest Exshowroom price...
RTO charges road tax based on latest price updated by the manufacturer.

Insurance is based on vehicle IDV & other add-ons. How can insurance be issued for a payment (increment above protected price) that doesn't exist!?

TCS isn't based on new price. Its on the ex-showroom amount that the buyer actually paid.

Btw, what is the price increment ? Do you have a price list from the dealer ?
Old 17th December 2022, 17:41   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you are not taking the Scorpio N after this long wait together.
Scorpio N is actually very good for the mountains and bad roads. This is the only reason why I am taking this vehicle. Otherwise I would have gone for a Grand Vitara Delta which would save me some money as well give me a peaceful ownership experience. Most of my trips in the mountains is below 50kmph (60 max), so for me toppling in not a concern but the bad roads do bother me. From my experience, in Arunachal Pradesh, the old Scorpio rules. It is not the norm everywhere, due to narrow congested roads, 800 and Alto rule in Nagaland and Meghalaya
I keep telling my mother and my wife that unless I buy the Scorpio N now it will be very difficult for me to buy in future a real 7-seater, BoF, RWD SUV. The Z4 model is truly a VFM proposition.
NT_GT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 21:35   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_GT View Post
Scorpio N is actually very good for the mountains and bad roads. This is the only reason why I am taking this vehicle. Otherwise I would have gone for a Grand Vitara Delta which would save me some money as well give me a peaceful ownership experience. Most of my trips in the mountains is below 50kmph (60 max), so for me toppling in not a concern but the bad roads do bother me.
I really don't know whom to follow. I had the same understanding that Mahindra Scorpio is a very good SUV for hills and bad roads. In 2015 we had a Spiti tour in a rented Scorpio through the route Manali-Jalori Pass-Sarahan-Chitkul-Kalpa-Nako-Tabo-Kaza-Losar-Chandratal-old Rohtang pass-Manali. Chandratal route was full of black ice. Though it was a bouncy ride, we never felt unsafe or nauseating. And from numerous trips to UK and HP, I understood one aspect of hill driving- slow, steady, disciplined style of driving can keep it safe.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 22:05   #983
BHPian

Guys,

Today afternoon, my SA at the dealership called me and said that my Z4 was here, would I care to see it? Of course I would. Finally!!

So here's my first sighting of the beast surrounded by its kin, and a lone RediGo. There was another Z4 in red, all others were Z8L ATs, judging by the 18 inch wheels. It seems there is no waiting period any more for Z8L. You can just walk in and buy one. In fact, my dealer has ready stock of Z8L in black, white, gold, green etc.

What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-img_20221217_175808584_hdr1.jpg

I think it looked very rugged and purposeful with the chunky tyres on steel wheels, and no side step. It was completely dusty inside and out, and it gave me a realistic idea of what it would look like during the weekdays in our dusty city. Not too bad.

As I had taken an hour off from work and it was getting late, I didn't have time to do a full PDI. But from what it looked like, it starts, everything seems to work including the AC, headlamps, drive and reverse, and the MID and music system. I plan on doing a full PDI tomorrow, as they said the dealership would be open tomorrow for the sales staff. I did manage to take some pics and videos.

Exterior
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124347726.mp.jpg
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124342512.jpg
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_123850588.jpg
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124113047.mp2.jpg
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124051563.mp.jpg

Interior
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124136116.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221217_123850588.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	694.1 KB
ID:	2391267

The key: (Only one remote key, the other one is a standard flip key without a remote.)
What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124151882.jpg

The tyres are Bridgestone Ecopia. Seems all the 17 inchers in this batch came with Bridgestones. The SA was saying that I got lucky. One thing I noted was just how close the brake caliper is to the rim. Downsizing to 16 inchers and higher profile tyres is not an option. There's less than an inch of clearance between the wheel and the brakes from what I saw.

What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?-pxl_20221217_124103947.jpg

I'm still looking for good alloys in the 5x139.7 PCD in 17 inch.

I asked when I can take her home, and it seems that due to the revised rules about number plates having to be fitted by dealer before releasing the vehicle to customer, the whole procedure not takes 5-8 days, and even more if you opt for a custom "fancy" number. I think I'll forego the fancy numbering this time around, as I am planning to switch to BH registration and get the "excess" road tax back as soon as possible.

Quote:
My usage case is the most important factor behind the decision. It will remain under-utilised.
All these things are likely true for me as well. I don't need a ScorpioN or any SUV for that matter. It's a want. I feel bad about it, but I decided I didn't want to regret not buying one when I could just about afford one.

Quote:
Another major reason is Scorpio N is not suitable for hills, mountains. What I understand from the suggestions of seniors here, Scorpio N can topple very easily and can go out of control very quickly.
I don't know where you're getting this from. I guess you could say that any car with a high CG is unstable, but then, modern cars have ASC and other aids that prevent rollovers. The older Scorpios were powerful, lacked all of these safety aids, and required skill from the driver to keep it stable on the road, especially at high speeds. This 'topples very easily', out of control quickly' etc seem like something that you'd say about SUV's in the 80s and 90s. SUVs nowadays have come a long way, friend. Mahindra does most of their hill driving trials in the Nilgiris hills. where you get every kind of adverse situation except for snow and ice.

Quote:
Both the petrol and diesel AT were good to drive and shift. Though I drive MT and my AT driving is very limited, didn't face any single problem or issue. Ergonomics were good for me from the driving position. There was absolutely no problem in clear view while taking turns or U-turns in Scorpio N (Harrier is ZERO here and Scorpio N is 10/10 for me)
Pardon me, but your post is quite confusing. You start out by saying that you're cancelling the booking due to this supposed instability in hills, but then finish up by giving the Scorpio N a 10/10. So are you keeping the booking despite the "seniors" scaring you, or are you cancelling the booking despite the ScorpioN being 10/10?

With the ScorpioN scoring so highly in GNCAP, you're missing out on one of the safest Indian cars, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
RTO charges road tax based on latest price updated by the manufacturer.

Insurance is based on vehicle IDV & other add-ons. How can insurance be issued for a payment (increment above protected price) that doesn't exist!?

TCS isn't based on new price. Its on the ex-showroom amount that the buyer actually paid.

Btw, what is the price increment ? Do you have a price list from the dealer ?
That isn't how it works, unfortunately. The difference between the ex-showroom prices is shown as a discount. In the case of my XUV700 booking, the price increased by 1.79 lacs during my waiting period of about 6 months. When they gave me the proforma invoice during delivery time, this difference amount was written as the last item, as a discount. This meant that every other variable that depends on the ex-showroom price, such as road tax, insurance, TDS, cess etc were calculated on the full ex-showroom price. Not a great deal, IMO. It took the XUV way out of by budget, and I ended up cancelling the booking. This time around, however, there has been no price increase so far for the ScorpioN. I expect there will be a price hike in January though.

Last edited by vivekgk : 17th December 2022 at 22:26.
vivekgk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 22:16   #984
BANNED

Waiting for your first drive experience, subject to correction,yours will be the first Z4 Scorpio N of a teambhpian . Congratulations.
Timeline 1967 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 22:30   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

Is this the case with everyone that has been taking deliveries lately? Mahindra has increased prices twice, once in Nov and recently on Dec 6th.
I don't believe M & M have increased prices for the ScorpioN yet. That hikes you mention might possibly be for other vehicles such as the XUV 700.
Old 18th December 2022, 00:05   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I don't know where you're getting this from. I guess you could say that any car with a high CG is unstable, but then, modern cars have ASC and other aids that prevent rollovers. The older Scorpios were powerful, lacked all of these safety aids, and required skill from the driver to keep it stable on the road, especially at high speeds. This 'topples very easily', out of control quickly' etc seem like something that you'd say about SUV's in the 80s and 90s. SUVs nowadays have come a long way, friend. Mahindra does most of their hill driving trials in the Nilgiris hills. where you get every kind of adverse situation except for snow and ice.
My source of suggestion/ input is Team-BHP only.

My only question here: Is there any Design, R&D and testing department of Mahindra and Mahindra Automobiles? Or shall I sale off their shares? M&M is giving me 70%+ profit as on date.

My second question (it is rather a question from my wife when I explained why Team-BHP dismissed the Scorpio N for its' handling part)- can we say the same for the Thar? Thar height is 1844 whereas Scorpio N is 1857 mm. Thar wheelbase is much smaller than Scorpio N. I had no comparison figures for the width. Trying to figure out some comparison for this aspect.

Quote:
Pardon me, but your post is quite confusing. You start out by saying that you're cancelling the booking due to this supposed instability in hills, but then finish up by giving the Scorpio N a 10/10. So are you keeping the booking despite the "seniors" scaring you, or are you cancelling the booking despite the ScorpioN being 10/10?

With the ScorpioN scoring so highly in GNCAP, you're missing out on one of the safest Indian cars, IMO.
It's a mix of heart and mind. Love at first sight for me and my wife. Almost all essential features and safety features
are available in Z4 except the 2 airbags on offer. However, the recent GNCAP 5 star testing was done on lower variants with 2 Airbags for the frontal impact as per GNCAP YouTube channel video. Finance is in place. I have already paid processing fees to SBI and today I asked them to hold the disbursement. And I don't see any comparable SUV in this price range. Brezza tin cans are available for 16.2 lakhs OTR GGN, Creta/ Seltos is over 18 Lakhs, Grand Vitara 18 Lakhs+, Grand Vitara strong hybrid touching 20 Lakhs. XUV700 AX5 is near to 21 lakhs. Skoda/ VW is a strict No-No for us due to most unreliable history and highest spare parts cost. Tata products have major ergonomics and QA/QC issues for me. Jimny is far off and cost will be higher than Z4. Moreover, it will be uncomfortable for city and highway usage, super unsafe with zero or one safety rating for sure.

Last edited by RijuC : 18th December 2022 at 00:12.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 12:36   #987
BHPian

One more thing I'd like to add regarding the initial impression of the Z4 is that the top of the dashboard, the dark grey portion, is a softer touch material than the brown part. I was surprised, because I had expected it to be completely hard plastic. I would have preferred it if they had used the same softer feeling material on the brown parts of the dash and door armrests.

Quote:
My source of suggestion/ input is Team-BHP only.

My only question here: Is there any Design, R&D and testing department of Mahindra and Mahindra Automobiles? Or shall I sale off their shares? M&M is giving me 70%+ profit as on date.
You think that a 5 star rating in GNCAP was possible without a design or R&D department? I can't understand if you're being sarcastic or naive. You're free to make your own decisions about your purchase, and may have your own convictions, but when you vent them on a forum like this, others will point out any fallacies they see. In this case, you're wondering if Mahindra has any R&D center, which clearly indicates that you haven't even done some basic research before coming to this conclusion.

As for the shares, I couldn't really say, but personally, I'd hold on to them.

Quote:
My second question (it is rather a question from my wife when I explained why Team-BHP dismissed the Scorpio N for its' handling part)- can we say the same for the Thar? Thar height is 1844 whereas Scorpio N is 1857 mm. Thar wheelbase is much smaller than Scorpio N. I had no comparison figures for the width. Trying to figure out some comparison for this aspect.
When you compare the handling of a tall BoF SUV like the ScorpioN, you can't compare it to a sedan, or even a crossover. Hands down, the sedan, or the crossover will have better ride quality and better high-speed cornering ability. Autocar had done a video comparing the Sonet and the Thar in practical aspects, and of course the Sonet came out on top. A BoF SUV is only a sensible buy if you have some very specific requirements. Otherwise, it's a heart over mind decision.

Quote:
It's a mix of heart and mind. Love at first sight for me and my wife. Almost all essential features and safety features are available in Z4 except the 2 airbags on offer.....Moreover, it will be uncomfortable for city and highway usage, super unsafe with zero or one safety rating for sure.
This paragraph is again confusing, and it does not seem like you are going to cancel the booking. It seems like you are listing the reasons for going ahead with the booking, rather than cancelling it. This was my exact thought process as well. For the same price as I am spending for the ScorpioN Z4 AT, there is no comparable vehicle with that kind of performance and space. The MG Astor has a lot more features, but the engine is a dud. The Creta/Seltos diesels are nice, but low on safety. The Harrier XMA is more expensive by almost a lakh, and feels barebones on comparison to the Z4. The XUV700 AX3 is now very overpriced, plus there's the waiting. Grand Vitara/Hyryder Hybrids cost way more, and have assured high battery replacement costs a few years down the line. I had almost finalized my decision before the GNCAP rating but that was a welcome bit of support, and something that I was able to hold up to the family while justifying this decision.

Last edited by vivekgk : 18th December 2022 at 12:45.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 14:16   #988
BHPian

Quote:
You think that a 5 star rating in GNCAP was possible without a design or R&D department? I can't understand if you're being sarcastic or naive.
Ok, let me put this straight. It takes tremendous effort for the R&D, Manufacturing QA, testing departments to produce such a capable SUV and get it through the GNCAP testing to secure highest rating for adult occupancy. When an OEM puts so much effort for a product development, it must be a successful model in the market.

Regarding the positive points of Z4 AT: It has all the essential features that one budget oriented buyer need. In my opinion, Scorpio N Z4 is miles ahead than any of the competitors in the same price bracket of 17-18.5 lakhs OTR, considering value for money.
Old 18th December 2022, 19:08   #989
Senior - BHPian

Looks quite good in black with the black steel rims and I was surprised to see the full size infotainment system despite being a bottom-mid range variant.

Quote:

+1 to this. I felt the scorpioN was much more stable and agile than I expected during my test drive of the same. The electric power steering was effortless, weighed up properly with speed and it steered precisely where I wanted it to go during high speed maneuvers, on par with most budget hatchbacks/sedans. Compare this to the Harrier/safari where the steering gets unnaturally light/sensitive during higher speeds and a slight jerk on the steering almost made the car jump into the next field

It's no canyon carver and body roll is present but unless you are used to racing a bmw, you will be fine.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 00:58   #990
BANNED

Why mahindra has not increased the price of Scorpio N,they already started distribution of N4 model maybe that they might have huge inventory of Z8L in the factory unsold,and if they increase the price it will be difficult for clearing the stock?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks