Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 14:56   #7771
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The spread depends on the position of the filament. as long as that stays uncganged then so does the pattern. Colour depends on the filament temperature. If you go for NB+ the light is slightly cooler (bluish) as the filament runs hotter. HID is what you choose. I will not go beyond 4300K for headlamps (about the same as halogens) and prefer 2700/3000K for fogs as they are yellow/yellow-green. I have 3000K HIDs is my fogs.
So, I think I shall stick with the Rally bulbs for now. I am really satisfied with them. Have experienced no melting/fading problems till now.
Old 27th November 2013, 15:24   #7772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
No.1. Certainly yes, you need a seperate wiring with Ceramic holders.

No.2. 100/130 would be a overkill anyway. 90/100 would be more than sufficient for your purpose. Specially as you said deserted village roads (assumed, with no street lights) the 90/100 would sufficiently light the road ahead.
For deserted roads, even 2x 35W should be enough, since there are no oncoming lights.

The problem is only when there is a high beam from the opposite side which hits directly into your eyes. This is more apparent when a taller vehicle is approaching you (and that too from a higher gradient) and further exacerbated when you are sitting in a low seating position vehicle (like a sedan).
Even 2 x 130W from your headlamps may not help this case.

The only solution is to promote driving with low beam and well focused lights.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:08   #7773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamarthMehrotra View Post
Is there any difference in the spread of the light on the road or only on the colour. I also have a 2008 model WagonR that is used on Mountain roads mostly by my dad. I have been using Phillips Rally 130/100W with relay.

Recently I switched to 100/90 Phillips Rally when the fuse blew off. I am very satisfied with the performance of this and want to know if the additional expense of switching to Essential Vision is worth it.

The yellow light is very effective in the fog/rains/mist, though!
There is not much difference in the spread of light when compared to Rally. Infact the spread is exactly the same for me, except for the whiter color. So if it is for a wider spread that you are looking, then I don't think it is worth switching from Rally to EV 100/90. You can do it just for getting that cool looks.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:24   #7774
Senior - BHPian

TRS is having discounts at the moment.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ene.../#.Upc87dKno9Z

Just in case anyone wants to import these from the US.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:59   #7775
BHPian

I have the Skoda Rapid 2012 ambition tdi.
Any idea if i can fit the H4 in it?
Also will the Philips one work?
Old 28th November 2013, 19:06   #7776
Senior - BHPian

For people planning to buy Philips bulbs in Bangalore, please don't bother going to AK Traders near JC Road, who is the distributor for Philips.
They are not selling to end users, you are better off buying it from retailers.
Have been a regular buyer there, got pissed off with their attitude today.
Old 28th November 2013, 20:48   #7777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
I have the Skoda Rapid 2012 ambition tdi.
Any idea if i can fit the H4 in it?
Also will the Philips one work?
Rapid comes with H4 as standard fitment. You could try out Philips xtreme visions or osram nightbreaker plus to replace the standard bulb in the interests of warranty. I have installed xtreme vision H7 in my i20 and yes they are better than stock bulbs. The beam is whiter than stock. But definitely not as powerful as any 100w. Xtreme visions are expensive though at about 1300 bucks a pair. Also better to do due diligence to find out if the bulbs are user replacable or it requires removing the light housing in your car. If not user replacable you might need to visit the service centre and they may hesitate to install aftermarket bulbs.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 22:28   #7778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
For people planning to buy Philips bulbs in Bangalore, please don't bother going to AK Traders near JC Road, who is the distributor for Philips.
They are not selling to end users, you are better off buying it from retailers.
Have been a regular buyer there, got pissed off with their attitude today.
What happened?

And have they stopped selling directly to customers? Yes, they do have a lot of attitude and are very haughty. I purchased bulbs from them because they were offering the cheapest price

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th November 2013 at 22:30.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:26   #7779
BHPian

My Ritz is running on stock headlights for 3 years. Of late, I have a feeling that these are not as effective (in both spread & reach) as they were initially. Can this be a problem with the lamps or the reflectors? There is no fogging or water/dust accumulation in the headlight cluster (as far as I can observe from the outside). I need a suggestion : If I need to replace the lamps, then what are the brands I can consider instead of MGA (I want to install same wattage lamps, no extra wiring/relay ).
Old 29th November 2013, 12:24   #7780
BHPian

Headlamp relay powering 100/90 conked off today after 4 yrs of use , which brand would be good replacement - Roots / hella / any other suggestion .
Old 29th November 2013, 12:54   #7781
BHPian

6 months back I've upgraded my Fiesta headlights with Bosch 80W bulbs with proper wiring kit. But one of the H1 (high beam) conked off today. As checked the bulb, it looks fried. Any reasons for this premature failure?

Now, Planning to stick with Philips or Osrams with H1 55W and checked the prices on GP road Xtream vision costs 550 per pair. It seems rates are reduced now.. How to find these original or fake? Any idea
Old 29th November 2013, 15:35   #7782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
relay powering 100/90 conked off ......, which brand would be good replacement - Roots / hella / any other suggestion .
Roots should be a cheaper option ranging from 550 to 900 a piece (100/90 is cheaper than 130/100). It is pretty relaible. I have one on my Esteem for last 3 years.
Hella 130/100 starts from 1000. SOme are available on Ebay starting from 949+shipping.

Above comment is for H4 lamps.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 29th November 2013 at 15:43.
Old 29th November 2013, 15:57   #7783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Rapid comes with H4 as standard fitment. You could try out Philips xtreme visions or osram nightbreaker plus to replace the standard bulb in the interests of warranty. I have installed xtreme vision H7 in my i20 and yes they are better than stock bulbs. The beam is whiter than stock. But definitely not as powerful as any 100w. Xtreme visions are expensive though at about 1300 bucks a pair. Also better to do due diligence to find out if the bulbs are user replacable or it requires removing the light housing in your car. If not user replacable you might need to visit the service centre and they may hesitate to install aftermarket bulbs.
The shop from where you buy the bulbs would happily replace the stock bulbs with the new ones. However, it is always helpful to learn how to change the bulbs in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My Ritz is running on stock headlights for 3 years. Of late, I have a feeling that these are not as effective (in both spread & reach) as they were initially. Can this be a problem with the lamps or the reflectors? There is no fogging or water/dust accumulation in the headlight cluster (as far as I can observe from the outside). I need a suggestion : If I need to replace the lamps, then what are the brands I can consider instead of MGA (I want to install same wattage lamps, no extra wiring/relay ).

Osram Night Breaker Plus or Philips XtremeVision; H4 I presume, not very sure.
Old 30th November 2013, 07:44   #7784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
For people planning to buy Philips bulbs in Bangalore, please don't bother going to AK Traders near JC Road, who is the distributor for Philips. They are not selling to end users, you are better off buying it from retailers. Have been a regular buyer there, got pissed off with their attitude today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What happened? And have they stopped selling directly to customers? Yes, they do have a lot of attitude and are very haughty. I purchased bulbs from them because they were offering the cheapest price
I have been to AK Traders last week and bought a pair of Philips XV, Roots windtone, and a Hella relay, he gave a good discount and got everything for INR 1550. This is not my first and they were courteous to me every time.
My suggestion would be to go early in the morning around 10 AM, where they will provide help even in choosing the products based on our requirements. And the next bigger advantage by making a visit in the morning is you can find a parking space easily.

Cheers!
PS: I'm not related to this seller or any of his product directly or indirectly, my suggestion was only to help other bhpians if they can get benefited.
Old 30th November 2013, 11:48   #7785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Headlamp relay powering 100/90 conked off today after 4 yrs of use , which brand would be good replacement - Roots / hella / any other suggestion .
Buy only the relay which should cost 250-300. You can choose hella, PMP, Roots or lucas. All of them are quite reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks