Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 09:55   #9451
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

get fog lights upgraded. OEM ones should be 35W where you can change to 55W. I was thinking of getting the fog lights upgraded from H8 (35W) to upgrade to H11 (55W). But have refrained as I hardly use the fog lights.
Is the H11 straight swap for H8 oems? If it is, please suggest which ones are the best among halogens.
Old 30th November 2015, 10:42   #9452
BHPian

Hey guys. So I just upgraded my Polo GT TSI headlights to the Golf R type replicas. Got it from Lumen systems in Bangy which is imported from Eagle Eyes. Been driving with it for 10 days & found it really nice. Low beam HID + projector. High beam Osram NBU + projector. DRL Osram. Need to get the low beam adjusted a bit. Heard there's a Bosch computerized aligning centre in Bombay. Will give it a try next week or so. Here are some pictures.... Hope you like them. Cheers & thank you for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151123_183823800.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151126_120447273__1448859720_202.177.247.125.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151123_184513730__1448859590_202.177.247.125.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151123_131003648__1448860118_202.177.247.125.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151123_130850462__1448860276_202.177.247.125.jpg  

polo_ankit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 11:17   #9453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
Hey guys. So I just upgraded my Polo GT TSI headlights to the Golf R type replicas. Got it from Lumen systems in Bangy which is imported from Eagle Eyes. Been driving with it for 10 days & found it really nice. Low beam HID + projector. High beam Osram NBU + projector. DRL Osram. Need to get the low beam adjusted a bit. Heard there's a Bosch computerized aligning centre in Bombay. Will give it a try next week or so. Here are some pictures.... Hope you like them. Cheers & thank you for all your help!
The setup looks really nice and so as the results. Your Polo is now looking really amazing. Would you mind sharing the expenses incurred in complete setup ?
Regards
Aakarsh
Old 30th November 2015, 11:44   #9454
Senior - BHPian

If anyone is interested in H7 65 watt bulbs, a review of the same with pictures, is posted here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3858842
Old 30th November 2015, 11:54   #9455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
35w is mostly found and used here and I would suggest you to go for it. 35w is more than enough and provides ample lighting.
Thanks.

The roads in Bangalore are extremely, extremely bad. This coupled with the rains and the morons on high-beam makes visibility very, very difficult. That is why I was considering the 55W HID.

The 55W is overkill, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
HID ballasts come in 55W, not 50W. However, a 35W HID burner+ballast combination is the most logical upgrade over halogens.

For your question regarding the VFM proposition, I feel it is, if you are not experimenting. Else it's a costly experiment.

The set up will be effective even during rains, provided you do not use burners with anything over 4300K colour temperature. Most of the LEDs sold as pilot lamps are 5000K or above and do little to improve illumination during fog and rain.
TheRetrofitSource was offering a 50W ballast on the link I had posted.

It isn't an experiment. It is something i want to do on my brother's aging Pulsar 150 and my bike as well. I know it is considerably more expensive than the HIDs you get in the market, but I don't want to blind anyone at any cost. Moreover, electricals is something I do not want a risk with.

4300K temperature, eh? They are offering 4500K as the lowest. Perhaps I can get the bulbs in India separately.

Again, 55W purely to be on the safer side. Then again, if it is overkill and will damage the headlights or the electricals, will stick to the 35W.
Old 30th November 2015, 13:41   #9456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The roads in Bangalore are extremely, extremely bad.
That's news to me - that there are roads in Bang-galore

Quote:
The 55W is overkill...
Any 35W HID puts out more than double the number of lumens from a halogen of double the wattage. Leaving it to you to decide whether to go for 55W or 35W.
When I'd bought Cnlight HIDs and Hyluxtek ballasts from a seller in eBay, only 35W and 55W were available.
4500k is ok, 5500k is more like a hot-noon sun, while the former is almost daylight. The higher you go up the colour temperature, the more lumens get spread into the blue-UV spectrum, hence usable light, ie., the wavelengths to which a human eye responds better, is limited. This is more pronounced in foggy conditions which cause the light to get dispersed and cause glare.

AFAIK, a higher wattage HID would have a lower life, as well as cause additional radiation in the UV range. This can impact the optics.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:38   #9457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Best suggestion is to upgrade from 60/55W headlamps to 100/90W setup with wiring harness. The harness will contain ceramic harness, 30A fuses, thicker wiring to compensate the load.

OEM bulbs in my Swift were: Jagan H4 60/55W where I insisted for Osram Bilux. Both these were useless.

Upgrade 1: Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W). It is was a good upgrade but the availability is low for this bulbs so had to go for upgrade 2.

Upgrade 2: Philips Rally 100/90W with a wiring harness by Hella. Love this setup and is completely reversible and safe with no touching the OEM wiring harness. It is a plug and play unit that takes 15 minutes to install.

I'll suggest you to look at 100/90W setup. If you aren't happy, get fog lights upgraded. OEM ones should be 35W where you can change to 55W. I was thinking of getting the fog lights upgraded from H8 (35W) to upgrade to H11 (55W). But have refrained as I hardly use the fog lights.
So I am planning to upgrade my headlamps to 90/100W with a relay, I have spare relays which I took out from my Octavia when I sold it. Now help me with these questions as well:
1. Which brand shall I go with, philips or Osram?
2. Are Osram Night breakers better than the philips Rally 90/100W?/
3. What should accompany the fog lamps?
4. Can I use 90/100W for the fog lamps as well if not what's the max I can use?
Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 15:48   #9458
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Now help me with these questions as well:
1. Which brand shall I go with, philips or Osram?
2. Are Osram Night breakers better than the philips Rally 90/100W?/
3. What should accompany the fog lamps?
4. Can I use 90/100W for the fog lamps as well if not what's the max I can use?
Thanks
1. Philips is a better brand where they last longer as compared to Osram ones.

2. Both are good bit the Philips is reliable.

4. 55W is maximum that is suitable for Fog lamps. Anything more could damage it.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 15:52   #9459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Is the H11 straight swap for H8 oems? If it is, please suggest which ones are the best among halogens.
I don't think so. There's some difference at the mounting plate. Check when you're buying. I read somewhere that one fits in place of the other, but not the other way around. I dont remember what th order was.
Old 30th November 2015, 16:21   #9460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I don't think so. There's some difference at the mounting plate. Check when you're buying. I read somewhere that one fits in place of the other, but not the other way around. I dont remember what th order was.
Look at the post below by BHPian Arjithin

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3854140

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th November 2015 at 16:23.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 16:37   #9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Hi Guys,

The stock headlamps on my new Grand i10 are woefully inadequate, both low and high beams. The throw is poor, as well as the spread. The amazing Bangalore roads make it much harder to drive in the night, and the poor lights can even make you miss poorly marked breakers and potholes!. Can anyone please recommend a good upgrade? open to 55/60 NB+ or any good Philips model. Don't want the flashy white/blue light, a slightly cooler temperature would be OK, but guess the yellow light works best for visibility.

Also, the fog lamps are practically useless. Please recommend a good upgrade for those as well.

Many thanks!
I bought a Grand i10 too. It has just been 1.5 months. Owing to some work, I had to go out of city and while returning at night I realized the lights are pathetic.

help!
Old 30th November 2015, 17:35   #9462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveshshukla53 View Post
I bought a Grand i10 too. It has just been 1.5 months. Owing to some work, I had to go out of city and while returning at night I realized the lights are pathetic.

help!
Agree, stock lights on Grand i10 are pretty bad. I upgraded to Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited 60/55W and am pretty satisfied with those. My first choice was Philips Xtreme Vision but they were not readily available at all hence moved to NB+.

You can get these from many ebay sellers and also in the local market - be wary of fakes though. While the change in output is not very dramatic, it's a decent improvement over stock and I did not want to void warranty with a more complicated setup.

You can also opt for 100/90 bulbs with a relay but your warranty *might* be void in such a case.

Let me know how it works out.

Cheers

Last edited by Parth46 : 30th November 2015 at 17:37.
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 18:10   #9463

Thanks a lot Parth46! I too am unable to fine these online. Went to Philips' website and found the product. Just want to ask a couple of questions before I buy these from local dealer that I located from Philips' website:

1. The product available is "X-tremeVision Plus car headlight bulb - H4, 12V, 60/55W". New product by Philips which throws 130% more light. Should I go for this for Grand i10 or the old gen X-tremeVision which threw 100% more light?
2. Will it void warranty?
3. Is there a DIY for this or I have to get in touch with some local accessory shop who can install these for me?

Sorry I am new to owning a car and do not understand these technicalities very well. :(

Thanks a mill for all the help!

Regards,
DS

Last edited by deveshshukla53 : 30th November 2015 at 18:30.
Old 30th November 2015, 18:42   #9464
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Parth46! I too am unable to fine these online. Went to Philips' website and found the product. Just want to ask a couple of questions before I buy these from local dealer that I located from Philips' website:

1. The product available is "X-tremeVision Plus car headlight bulb - H4, 12V, 60/55W". New product by Philips which throws 130% more light. Should I go for this for Grand i10 or the old gen X-tremeVision which threw 100% more light?
3. Is there a DIY for this or I have to get in touch with some local accessory shop who can install these for me?
Regards,
DS
1) I have ExtremeVision+ on my Rapid for last 1 month. Its working for me. Upgraded from Extremevision as 1 bulb fused. Extremevision has been on my rapid for last 2 years. I would recommend the +. Also there is a OSRAM bulb of similar benefits( 55/60 W itself). read through some forumns and you can find the details
2) No this should not void the warranty as the specs are same. If you upgrade to 100/90 then the warranty is void.
3) i recommend doing it through some experienced mechanic for the first time. You can learn and do it next time yourself. My friend had ended up breaking the headlight ( costed 4K) while an newbie electrician could not remove the bulb from the socket.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ShaileshHinge : 30th November 2015 at 18:43.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 19:17   #9465
BHPian

Quote:
1. Yes, go for the 130% model. More of a marketing claim but one of my friends has the same model and is pretty satisfied, again compared to stock.

2. nope, since the output is the same 60/55 W

3. Since you're a newbie as you mentioned, better to get it done from a local accessories shop. Won't cost more than 50/100 bucks. It's pretty simple though. You don't need to dismantle the headlight cluster for this - pop the hood, pull out the plastic cap holding the OEM bulb, swap bulbs, and pop the plastic cap back in the slot.

Can be a bit of hit or miss depending on your comfort level though. All the best
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks