Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 21:30   #9616
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello Guru's,

I have Storme EX. At moment I write this query, its 19xxx kms in 11months on the Odo. In all those trips, I felt there was a need for fog lamps during night drive, foggy conditions and during rains.

I wish for a set of powerful fog lamps only for highway purpose without blinding the on comers and should not be extra load on the safari battery.

Which make are reliable and easily removable when not needed. Also, how to fix them to the front Grill so they sit below the head light beam.

Thanks.
Old 12th February 2016, 21:35   #9617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
I have Storme EX. .. I felt there was a need for fog lamps during night drive, foggy conditions and during rains.
Pls refer the posts for the query by @thehKrish on previous page.

Fog lamps are for near range lighting. If you want more range for your lighting, then you will need to look for aux lamps.
Old 14th February 2016, 21:39   #9618
BHPian

For those of you who use relay wiring, m-seal is a good product for sealing the cut in headlight assembly. I applied m-seal about six months back. Recently I had to change the bulb. The wiring and seal had almost become part of the assembly, it did not come loose when I removed the rear cover.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 09:36   #9619
BANNED

@Guite; Will not White M-seal which is Alumina based work even better? I think now there is a water resistant version of M-seal which (again white so possibly Alumina based) which may even be the new white version.
Old 15th February 2016, 10:14   #9620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesemylife View Post
Hi sgiitk!

Thanks for the info. After reading thouroughly through the threads in Team-BHP and the customer reviews, i have zeroed down on the following bulbs,

Headlamps : Phillips Xtreme Vision H4 Headlight Bulb
Fog Lamps : Philips HB4 9006 X-treme Vision headlight bulb

Please let me know if these would be good enough for the vento.
I'd recommend having the same setup as fellow member el lobo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2703540

I used XV equivalent from Osram (the Night Breakers Plus) and it was an unsatisfactory experience. I think 100/90W setup is what is needed on our roads. The 60W bulbs get easily washed out by the incoming traffic

I have the exact setup on my Vento and am much satisfied with it than the NBPs.
Old 15th February 2016, 14:16   #9621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Guite; Will not White M-seal which is Alumina based work even better? I think now there is a water resistant version of M-seal which (again white so possibly Alumina based) which may even be the new white version.
The back of the headlight assembly is black plastic. So standard black m-seal works quite well for me. Standard m-seal is used in plumbing so I suppose it is water resistant and water proof. In any case water ingress is not a primary concern in this scenario, below the bonnet.
Old 15th February 2016, 20:27   #9622

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'd recommend having the same setup as fellow member el lobo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2703540

I used XV equivalent from Osram (the Night Breakers Plus) and it was an unsatisfactory experience. I think 100/90W setup is what is needed on our roads. The 60W bulbs get easily washed out by the incoming traffic

I have the exact setup on my Vento and am much satisfied with it than the NBPs.
Hey joslicx,

Thanks for the info. I had read the dark-knight thread completely earlier. The only difference is that i am looking for the halogens. I do not want to go for the white light. dark knight has the Phillips essential vision H4 which is a white light bulb. Is there any bulb in the same specification that you can suggest which gives out a yellow beam.
Old 15th February 2016, 22:50   #9623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesemylife View Post
Hey joslicx,

Thanks for the info. I had read the dark-knight thread completely earlier. The only difference is that i am looking for the halogens. I do not want to go for the white light. dark knight has the Phillips essential vision H4 which is a white light bulb. Is there any bulb in the same specification that you can suggest which gives out a yellow beam.
The Philips Essential Vision are also halogen lamps with white textured light on the yellow side of it (rather than blue).

If you still want something yellower, Philips now has Weather Vision
http://www.amazon.in/Philips-WeatherVision-Halogen-Headlights-12754RAWVS2/dp/B00VXG94W0/ref=pd_sbs_263_30?ie=UTF8&dpID=41odkbjVOKL&dpSrc=s ims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=03N5FQV008 EWD4NHC1HW

Or else theres also good old Rallye bulbs.

The light from Essential Vision is really not that white. I have not had issues here in Bangalore. Only if its raining really heavily then visibility becomes dull. Anyway I have Philips Xtreme Vision in my fogs so they also come into picture in the rains. Normally I dont use foglights if its not raining.
Old 18th February 2016, 18:48   #9624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Pls refer the posts for the query by @thehKrish on previous page.

Fog lamps are for near range lighting. If you want more range for your lighting, then you will need to look for aux lamps.
I recently happened to get my storme rt.hand side headlight unit changed. The TASS has left me with the broken part with me.

I found the bulbs inside the OEM are by OSRAM as,

Head Lamp High Beam = H7 12volts 55Watts

Head Lamp Low Beam = H7 12volts 55Watts

so my query is how good are Philips xtreme plus?
And how to decide on additional lighting too.

Thanks.
Old 18th February 2016, 19:17   #9625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
I recently happened to get my storme rt.hand side headlight unit changed. The TASS has left me with the broken part with me.

I found the bulbs inside the OEM are by OSRAM as,

Head Lamp High Beam = H7 12volts 55Watts

Head Lamp Low Beam = H7 12volts 55Watts

so my query is how good are Philips xtreme plus?
And how to decide on additional lighting too.

Thanks.
Hi Kams,

I have not used the Philips Xtreme, hence not able to share any info on that.

What kind of additional lighting are you looking for ?

On another note,
can you please give me the dust caps that are there there on the back of the head lamp ?
Old 18th February 2016, 19:54   #9626
Senior - BHPian

Lighting gurus,

One of my colleague has a honda jazz and mentioned about a strange issue. Strange because I have never heard about it. He mentioned that the throw of the passenger headlight is farther than the one from the driver side. He also checked in a swift and even that also had a similar issue.

Is that an issue or working as per design? I have yet to check on my car but as far as I understand it should be same for both. I did mention the same to him as well asking him to get it adjusted from service center.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:16   #9627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Lighting gurus,
One of my colleague has a honda jazz and mentioned about a strange issue. Strange because I have never heard about it.
This is default beam pattern in every car. Even i was surprised when i noticed it in my car for the first time.

Last edited by ampere : 18th February 2016 at 22:22. Reason: Quote fixed
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:30   #9628
BHPian

Need your help guys!

So my family had gone for a weekend trip couple of weeks back in our '08 Swift VDi. It was a 400km round trip (Kolkata-Shantiniketan). On our way back, the parking left and high beam of the left headlight blew out. The low continued to work just fine. The headlamp was Philips 100/90W bulb. I did find it to be strange that both the parking light and the high beam went off at the same time but I didn't think too much it.

Now my father wanted to upgrade the lights for higher power. So we ordered the following products from amazon.in.
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00P...ilpage_o00_s00
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00T...ilpage_o01_s00

He got these installed by Suman-da of Alok Automobiles (popular car repair shop here in Kolkata) last saturday (20th of Feb). Since the installation the car was used for city commutes on both saturday and sunday. The lights worked just fine.

Today again my father took the car to Belghoria expressway (4 lane road where average speeds are higher than normal city commutes. Speeds of 80kmph are easy to maintain.) On his way back, both the high beam and low beam went off again!!

Now, on both occasions the car was running at high average speeds. Is this a problem related to the battery/alternator or is there some other problem with the car?

Other details:-
1. Battery is more than 4 years old (last replaced on oct 2011). However, I dont face any problems which would indicate any sort of battery related issues. The cars starts without any problems and I havent noticed any delays in cranking her.
2. The car is only used in the weekends. Average running per month can be as low as 300-400kms per month!
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:07   #9629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Need your help guys!

..... On our way back, the parking left and high beam of the left headlight blew out. The low continued to work just fine. The headlamp was Philips 100/90W bulb. I did find it to be strange that both the parking light and the high beam went off at the same time but I didn't think too much it.
.......Today again my father took the car to Belghoria expressway (4 lane road where average speeds are higher than normal city commutes. Speeds of 80kmph are easy to maintain.) On his way back, both the high beam and low beam went off again!!
.......Now, on both occasions the car was running at high average speeds. Is this a problem related to the battery/alternator or is there some other problem with the car?
scuderiamania
A relay and fuse issue. Its the fuse rating that might have been the culprit. Check the relay you have installed. The fuse rating should ordinarily be 20A. Some install higher fuses and that causes the bulb to fuse at times when on longer drives.
I guess you have a dual headlamp relay, which has 02 fuses.
If possible, replace the relay wiring kit with one such as Philips / Hella that supports upto 130W instead of the local some-weird-named ones!
Warm Regards
UnavowedX_9
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:23   #9630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
If possible, replace the relay wiring kit with one such as Philips / Hella that supports upto 130W instead of the local some-weird-named ones!
Sorry but I guess you haven't read the post fully. He has given the links of what he had bought for the upgrade.

For the wiring harness he is currently using Philips that supports 100/90W or 130/100W. See link number 1 in his post.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd February 2016 at 07:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks