Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 15:14   #12136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
A general query. Are there cars where one can update to 100/90 with a relay without removing or making a hole in the weather cap?

I changed to 100/90s on my Verna a few years back and they had to make a small hole to fit the wire in and so far haven't faced any issues with either dust or rain but curious to know if it can be done in other cars?
Upgrading the wattage of bulbs without upgrading the wiring is not recommended, some still do it though. I have seen bulb holders melting into the backside of the bulb itself.

Depends on the make of the headlamp assembly, older style Lumax usually has a dust cap that is sealed off with the bulb holder, so no need to make any holes. But some of them will have a plastic dust cap wherein the aftermarket wiring may not fit through and a hole needs to be made, standard practice.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:21   #12137
Senior - BHPian

I could not find much on upgrading the OEM Led low beams on the Crysta ZX model. Has anyone done this lately and can share the details? When I drive at night and if it is raining, the headlight low beam is as good as OFF and really makes me struggle to look ahead especially if you have oncoming traffic with high beams on. My car already has the OEM Led fog lights but that too is pretty useless in rains. Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2021 at 12:16. Reason: Corrected as requested.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:24   #12138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I could not find much on upgrading the OEM Led low beams on the Crysta ZX model. Has anyone done this lately and can share the details? When I drive at night and if it is raining, the headlight low beam is as good as OFF and really makes me struggle to look ahead especially if you have oncoming traffic with high beams on. My car already has the OEM Led fog lights but that too is pretty useless in rains. Any suggestions will be welcomed!
Same issue with my Hector. I think this is a problem with these OEM factory lights, or maybe just a limitation of the technology. I do think that if the LEDs were in the range of 4000K to 5000K, it would be better.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2021 at 12:16. Reason: Quoted post corrected. Thanks.
Old 1st September 2021, 17:06   #12139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I could not find much on upgrading the OEM Led low beams on the Crysta ZX model.When I drive at night and if it is raining, the headlight low beam is as good as OFF and really makes me struggle to look ahead especially if you have oncoming traffic with high beams on.
Hi, it is not possible to do any changes on the LED low beam for any vehicle since these are sealed units and not even the bulbs can be replaced. The only option is to replace the fog lights with dual beam projectors with HID. I am planning to do the same on my Crysta as well since I am used to better lighting on my other cars. The LED lights of the crysta are good on dry roads but utter useless in rain just like any other LED light setup. While thats the case with most lighting setups, at least the intensity can be slightly better to spot any potholes or so.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:10   #12140

Even I am looking for an upgrade to my Hector headlamps but cant find anything. Its really difficult to drive in heavy rains . :(
Old 8th September 2021, 19:39   #12141
BHPian

Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Well, I know this would have been discussed somewhere in the forum but, in my opinion, there is too much information on this topic to get a clear answer. (Problem with Internet and the overload of information of all types)

I will ask this question in the most basic form I can and would request experienced fellows to provide a solution.

I have a 2006 Honda city ZX with 60/55W haloogen lights. Obviously, the lighting is pathetic. I tried 100/90W bulbs for some years with all components Phillips or Osram, the bulbs got fused every two months and I finally threw the whole thing out in the end.
I am back on 60/55 W bulbs but atleast they don't fuse in the middle of highway drives. They seem to be working fine and I will not touch the original headlights in an old car

Now the problem:
I dread driving at night or in rainy/foggy conditions. Need better lighting of any type ( LED/ HID/halogen/bla bla etc)

Requirements:
1 good light on highways , fog, rains
2 do not want to touch original headlights in the old car
3 Do not want to spend much on an old car

Solutions:
Did my research and basically got more confused after it than before. I know all the technicalities of Halogen,LED,HID,projectors ,reflectors but do not have a solution. But still here are some which make some sense atleast:

1 High power 60/55W bulbs like the ones below- I know they will not be much better but something is better than nothing and these things are just Rs 635 ( How are they so cheap. I remember they used to cost about Rs 1500)

2 HJG fog lights: Although they will look a little weird one on a sedan but then I want light without spending much. One of the great things they have yellow covers. That solves my purpose of white light on normal days and yellow in rains. Cost Rs 3500

3 LED lights which can go yellow and white: Numerous chinese ones, but hey , they go from yellow to white and viceversa at a flick of a button. Will have to go to a local accessories market at night and pick a pair after testing. Cost: Rs 2000

Will any one of the above serve my purpose?
If not, can you guys suggest something else?

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2021 at 06:45. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
Old 8th September 2021, 19:48   #12142
Senior - BHPian

Need some help on improving lighting on OG Activa..

My mech suggested installing small led aux light below the headlamp but from whatever I have seen they just serve as an annoyance than actually being useful?
Old 8th September 2021, 20:39   #12143
Distinguished - BHPian

My car has factory Led lighting, which is pure white. It's horrid in most places, but especially so on the expressway. A lot of people are suggesting to put light yellow film on the glass of the headlights to bring the temperature lower. Does that help in any manner?
That's the extent of my dissatisfaction, that I am willing to try this on a new car. It's a Hector.
Old 8th September 2021, 21:39   #12144
BHPian

Re: Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
I tried 100/90W bulbs for some years with all components Phillips or Osram, the bulbs got fused every two months and I finally threw the whole thing out in the end.

1 High power 60/55W bulbs like the ones below

2 HJG fog lights

3 LED lights
With regard to the 100/90W bulb that you tried, did you use the proper relay and holder? Asking since it is not mentioned in your post. Upgrading to higher wattage halogen bulbs does require using the proper relay and holder.

Now coming to your options:
1. There is nothing called high power 60/55W bulbs. If any manufacturer is claiming better output at the same 60/55W then it is just hogwash. Only option is to go for higher wattage.

2. Fog lights are an option but they will be expensive.

3. LED bulbs in reflectors will cause more problems rather than solve anything. Currently available LED bulbs are not made for reflectors. You will struggle to get proper focus and will also blind oncoming vehicles.

My advice, re-try the 100/90W halogen bulb option with the proper relays and holders.
Old 9th September 2021, 01:25   #12145
BHPian

Re: Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Quote:

I will ask this question in the most basic form I can and would request experienced fellows to provide a solution.

Now the problem:
I dread driving at night or in rainy/foggy conditions. Need better lighting of any type ( LED/ HID/halogen/bla bla etc)

Requirements:
Hi Wanderin Nomad,

I can feel your pain bro. Been there, felt that!!

1. Give the 90/100W halogens one more chance. Ensure you buy an original Philips or Hella wiring loom with relays. Ensure the bulb holders are ceramic else you are wasting your time. Fit Philips Rallye 90/100W bulbs only. Ensure you have a proper earthing connection.

2. Please do NOT waste money on Philips Extreme Vision or Extreme Vision Plus or Osram Night Breakers. The bulbs cost a lot and hardly give 5% better lighting.

3. If you have 3 inch round fog lights, why not change the entire unit and fit 3 inch round Bi-Xenons with dipper facility. Cost is about 6 to 7K but worth every rupee. Available from Blaze India.

4. Another option similar to above is by a Company called FE Retrofit. Price is about 12K and they give a brilliant spread of light. On the downside, I hear that their Customer service is not quite upto the mark.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 03:45   #12146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My car has factory Led lighting, which is pure white. It's horrid in most places, but especially so on the expressway. A lot of people are suggesting to put light yellow film on the glass of the headlights to bring the temperature lower. Does that help in any manner?
That's the extent of my dissatisfaction, that I am willing to try this on a new car. It's a Hector.
No man that just reduces the light output . You should explore adding an Aux driving light for the highway trips.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:26   #12147
BHPian

Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Guys reposting my query, forgot to add proper images to explain my options ina better way:

Well, I know this would have been discussed somewhere in the forum but, in my opinion, there is too much information on this topic to get a clear answer. (Problem with Internet and the overload of information of all types)

I have a 2006 Honda city ZX with 60/55W haloogen lights. Obviously, the lighting is pathetic. I tried 100/90W bulbs for some years with all components Phillips or Osram, the bulbs got fused every two months and I finally threw the whole thing out in the end.
I am back on 60/55 W bulbs but atleast they don't fuse in the middle of highway drives. They seem to be working fine and I will not touch the original headlights in an old car

Now the problem:

Requirements:

Solutions:
Did my research and basically got more confused after it than before. I know all the technicalities of Halogen,LED,HID,projectors ,reflectors but do not have a solution. But still here are some which make some sense atleast

1 High power 60/55W bulbs like the ones below- I know they will not be much better but something is better than nothing and these things are just Rs 635 ( How are they so cheap. I remember they used to cost about Rs 1500)

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-412.png

2 HJG fog lights: Although they will look a little weird one on a sedan but then I want light without spending much. One of the great things they have yellow covers. That solves my purpose of white light on normal days and yellow in rains. Cost Rs 3500

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-413.png

3 LED lights which can go yellow and white: Numerous chinese ones, but hey , they go from yellow to white and viceversa at a flick of a button. Will have to go to a local accessories market at night and pick a pair after testing. Cost: Rs 2000

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-414.png

Will any one of the above serve my purpose?
If not, can you guys suggest something else?
Old 9th September 2021, 13:14   #12148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
With regard to the 100/90W bulb that you tried, did you use the proper relay and holder? Asking since it is not mentioned in your post. Upgrading to higher wattage halogen bulbs does require using the proper relay and holder.

Now coming to your options:
1. There is nothing called high power 60/55W bulbs. If any manufacturer is claiming better output at the same 60/55W then it is just hogwash. Only option is to go for higher wattage.

2. Fog lights are an option but they will be expensive.

3. LED bulbs in reflectors will cause more problems rather than solve anything. Currently available LED bulbs are not made for reflectors. You will struggle to get proper focus and will also blind oncoming vehicles.

My advice, re-try the 100/90W halogen bulb option with the proper relays and holders.

1 Thanks for the help and saving me Rs 650.

2 Yes Fog lights are preferred by me too since I do not want to touch the original lights in a 15 year old car. Leads to unnecessary issues.
Any idea about the HJG lights I have posted in my revised post. At Rs 3000, they look pretty useful for my purpose.

3 I was talking about LED fogs. Have a look at my revised post.

Have tried 100/90 bulbs setup twice. This was with original Hella/Phillips harness and relay. Tried both phillips/osram rally bulbs with the same. After multiple bulb failures, ended up throwing the entire thing. Repeated the same after some time and have recently thrown them away few months back. I know it must be running perfectly in some cars, but it does not suit some cars. I have had a similar experience in my bro in law's santro. By the way both times used them for a year at least and there was nodamage to reflectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Wanderin Nomad,

I can feel your pain bro. Been there, felt that!!

1. Give the 90/100W halogens one more chance. Ensure you buy an original Philips or Hella wiring loom with relays. Ensure the bulb holders are ceramic else you are wasting your time. Fit Philips Rallye 90/100W bulbs only. Ensure you have a proper earthing connection.

2. Please do NOT waste money on Philips Extreme Vision or Extreme Vision Plus or Osram Night Breakers. The bulbs cost a lot and hardly give 5% better lighting.

Thanks

3. If you have 3 inch round fog lights, why not change the entire unit and fit 3 inch round Bi-Xenons with dipper facility. Cost is about 6 to 7K but worth every rupee. Available from Blaze India.

4. Another option similar to above is by a Company called FE Retrofit. Price is about 12K and they give a brilliant spread of light. On the downside, I hear that their Customer service is not quite upto the mark.

Regards,
SS
1 Have tried 100/90 bulbs setup twice. This was with original Hella/Phillips harness and relay. Tried both phillips/osram rally bulbs with the same. After multiple bulb failures, ended up throwing the entire thing. Repeated the same after some time and have recently thrown them away few months back. I know it must be running perfectly in some cars, but it does not suit some cars. I have had a similar experience in my bro in law's santro. By the way both times used them for a year at least and there was nodamage to reflectors.

Stated above, Do not know if they were with ceramic bulb holders.

2 Thanks. saved me time and money.

3 I think these are Iph projectors. Seems good but don't want to spend 6-7k on an old car. I am sure something like this will be available for 2-3k which is OK for me. There are so many videos on youtube that it is difficult to make sense out of them.Have a look at the ones I have posted above.
Old 9th September 2021, 21:52   #12149
BHPian

Quote:
3 I was talking about LED fogs. Have a look at my revised post.
Saw your revised post with the pictures. I do not recommend the LED fogs you have posted. They will not solve your problem as they are SPOTS. What you need is a wide beam bright light.

You can take a look at the Hella Light Bar 470 review (Hella Light Bar 470 Review) posted by Stribog. Maybe this might solve your problem without touching the original headlights.
Old 9th September 2021, 22:43   #12150
BANNED

Quote:

Are the yellow covers bolted on using an Allen key? I want a set. But I dont want spot. How is the beam pattern for flood? I will wire it only for flood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks