Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 18:43   #12196
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I am looking to replace all the interior lights of my car to either LEDs or whiter version of the halogen lamps. My car has three types of lights - C10W, C5W and W5W. The car is an Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

I've found LED replacements for the C5W and W5W bulbs from Osram. But there isn't any suitable replacement for the C10W. Can I use the same C5W replacement LEDs in that slot as well as they are the same size? If not, request for alternatives that I can use.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:12   #12197
BHPian

Not sure whether it is already discussed here. Phillips and Osram have launched street legal H7 LED headlamp bulbs with type approval for more than 50 vehicle models in Germany. I hope the retrofit LEDs become mainstream and launched in India too.

Quote:
LED retrofit allowed for the first time

The prerequisites have now changed: In autumn 2020, the first LED light source that can be exchanged for a halogen lamp, an H7 LED, was approved in Germany. The Osram Night Breaker H7-LED product received a general type approval (ABG) with a specific area of ​​application. This means: It may only be installed in vehicles whose headlights have been tested as a unit with the LED light source and meet the requirements for light distribution according to UN ECE Reg. 112, i.e. neither dazzle others nor illuminate the lane in a non-compliant manner.

Another product, the Philips Ultinon Pro6000 LED, has been available on the market since May 2021 - initially only in H7 form. According to the manufacturers, both models provide over 200 percent more light and five times as long a service life. This means that the H7 retrofit sets, which cost between 120 and 140 euros, pay for themselves within a few years.

The LED retrofit lamps from Osram and Philips, certified by TÜV and approved by KBA, can currently be installed in 50 vehicle models from Alfa Romeo to VW. The retrofitting of headlights of H7 bulbs to LED is even occasionally already RV possible.
Link to the source: ADAC test retrofit: LED lamps for over 50 models
gopi_rm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 17:35   #12198
BHPian

I had to replace one of the PY21W LED Turn Indicators under warranty since it went kaput when it was kept running as hazard lamp for about 1 hour duration on a hot summer day.

Even though reliability is not very great since it went kaput in 1 hour hazard light mode running time only, I still went ahead and installed the LED replacement since it is really bright and helps in switching lanes both at night and day and bulbs do have 2 years warranty and seller coordinated to replace them easily.

I also felt it is a good idea to describe this DIY upgrade as it's quite easy and is applicable for multiple vehicles currently in our market.

Things required for DIY:
  1. A pair of P21W / PY21W LED bulbs that must have a 21 watts resistor built in. I got the following bulbs: Autobahn PY21W LED Bulbs
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-bulb-side-view.jpg
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-bulb-top-view.jpg
  2. A regular Philips shaped screwdriver
  3. Trim removal tool. I improvised a flat headed screwdriver wrapped in black tape since I did not have a trim removal tool.

It must be noted that the Creta's real turn indicator bulb is of size P21W. However, I was able to fit PY21W LED with a little bit of care since there is small difference in the PIN location of the bulbs. This should not be a deal breaker for anyone IMO.

Procedure for DIY:
  1. Open the boot door.
  2. Use Philips screwdriver to unscrew the following screws. Keep screws in the boot or a safe place.
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-point-2.jpg
  3. Insert Trim removal tool at the following point. You should be able to insert it for some length(~4-5cm.).
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-point-3.jpg
  4. The tail light section is anchored to the car body using the following 3 points. Pull the light out using hands from the section where screws were unscrewed and at the same time apply a little pressure on the trim removal tool to release the locks from the anchoring points. Do not put excessive pressure, it is meant to slide out easily using trim removal tool.
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-point-4.1.jpg
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-point-4.2.jpg
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-point-4.3.jpg
  5. Rotate the holder to take out the bulb.
  6. Replace the halogen bulb with LED bulb and test if it's working.
    Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-point-6.jpg
  7. Push the taillight back into anchors taking care of the position of the anchor points and screws. You should hear an audible click as well when the points are locked together.
  8. Tighten the 2 screws that were removed in step 2 above.

Final Result:

Comparison with halogen:

Bulb Sizes compared:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-both-bulbs-box.jpg

Last edited by sarav100 : 4th November 2021 at 17:40.
sarav100 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 23:00   #12199

I am looking to replace my stock halogen setup for headlights and fog lights on 2013 Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI to LED. However I don’t particularly like high temperature white lights, is there any good option for LED in 4-5k Kelvin range ? Also, would appreciate leads for good accessories shop in Gurgaon / South Delhi to buy/ fit nee lights.
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:02   #12200
BHPian

Hi folks!
A general query here. It is my observation that most buses and trucks out there run headlamps that seem more powerful than that of cars. Do they come with with more powerful bulbs from factory? Is there a law that allows a higher wattage for their headlights compared to 55 Watt for cars? Or is this a case of vehicles being modified with after-market parts?

Asking this out of general curiosity. Thanks for your patience.
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:39   #12201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
Hi folks!
A general query here. It is my observation that most buses and trucks out there run headlamps that seem more powerful than that of cars. Do they come with with more powerful bulbs from factory? Is there a law that allows a higher wattage for their headlights compared to 55 Watt for cars? Or is this a case of vehicles being modified with after-market parts?

Asking this out of general curiosity. Thanks for your patience.
While passenger car halogen headlamps are capped at 60W/55W (or 55W if using separate pods for high and low beams), heavy commercial vehicles with 24V electrical system can use 75W/70W bulbs. More than the additional 10-15W, it's the alignment that makes drivers of low-slung vehicles think of them as more powerful.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 22:31   #12202
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear All, need some suggestion regarding the illumination of my XL6.

While I'm satisfied with the throw of HL on normal days, visibility in dense North Indian fogs is downright crappy, thanks to white illumination from all LED setup. Memories of last year's drive still haunt me, and it all came back when I had to drive in that dense fog few days back. My visibility was horrendous, barely 5m ahead of me. I nearly missed crashing into a divider, even at 20-30kmph speed.

There was a 2nd Gen Ertiga accompanying me, which had stock Halogen Headlamps and IPH Projectors with 4300K HIDs in fog lamp. Even his view was severely compromised, only difference being, he had beams visible opposed to the white diffused light I was having. So it seems Projector fogs won't help me either.

What are my options now? Should I try yellow bulbs in reflector based fog lamps?

Visibility on normal days, thus I'm not too concerned about it:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20211120_204443.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th November 2021 at 22:34.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 22:54   #12203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Visibility on normal days, thus I'm not too concerned about it:

How's the visibility on a rainy day? Can you share some pics if you have readily available?

Here in the southern states, fog is not too dense and hence not a concern. But black tar on a rainy night is the Achilles heel of many a headlights.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 23:17   #12204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How's the visibility on a rainy day? Can you share some pics if you have readily available?

Here in the southern states, fog is not too dense and hence not a concern. But black tar on a rainy night is the Achilles heel of many a headlights.
It's fine(nothing great) on a rainy day. Enough for my needs and speeds. Will try to share a dashcam video if available.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 27th November 2021, 00:41   #12205
BHPian

Quote:
What are my options now? Should I try yellow bulbs in reflector based fog lamps?
Before swapping out for halogen fog lamps, I would have tried tinting either headlights or fog lights (or both) with yellow film.
I am not sure how effective it will be, but with puny investment it won’t be an issue IMO.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 00:50   #12206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There was a 2nd Gen Ertiga accompanying me, which had stock Halogen Headlamps and IPH Projectors with 4300K HIDs in fog lamp. Even his view was severely compromised, only difference being, he had beams visible opposed to the white diffused light I was having. So it seems Projector fogs won't help me either.

A pair of Hella aux lights of fog lamp pattern (halogen) , small ones that can be fitted towards the lower side of the bumper. Wire the relay to activate along with OE fog lamps and this set up will keep you within the white lines.

Throwing more light at fog won't work, it just bounces back into our own eyes and you will miss the shoulder of the road.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 01:03   #12207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
Before swapping out for halogen fog lamps, I would have tried tinting either headlights or fog lights (or both) with yellow film.
I am not sure how effective it will be, but with puny investment it won’t be an issue IMO.
Tried this as a desperate measure last year with one of those yellow films we get at sweet shops. Nothing much changed. Should I try with an automotive grade film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A pair of Hella aux lights of fog lamp pattern (halogen) , small ones that can be fitted towards the lower side of the bumper. Wire the relay to activate along with OE fog lamps and this set up will keep you within the white lines.

Throwing more light at fog won't work, it just bounces back into our own eyes and you will miss the shoulder of the road.
Seems this is the only option left, which I was avoiding since I didn't want extra fitments at front.

As of now, have ordered halogen fogs, multiple bulbs of different temperature, LEDs etc to experiment and will return stuff which doesn't work.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 27th November 2021, 01:24   #12208
BHPian

Quote:
Should I try with an automotive grade film?
I too had a similar experience with yellow tints brought from local shop, but then in Mumbai fog is almost non-existent.
I have never tried automotive grade film, hence won’t be able to advise accordingly.

P.S. Are you willing to fit light bars? Though not sure if it can resolve the effectiveness in fogs.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 01:29   #12209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
P.S. Are you willing to fit light bars? Though not sure if it can resolve the effectiveness in fogs.
LED number plate mounted ones don't help much in fog. I'll be happier if I get an integrated solution. Hate those extra lights mounted on bars or elsewhere. That will be my last option.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: I was all set to order IPH projector fogs, but never thought it would be so grossly inadequate in foggy conditions.
Old 27th November 2021, 08:19   #12210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PS: I was all set to order IPH projector fogs, but never thought it would be so grossly inadequate in foggy conditions.
If you have a problem with high beam throw or low beam intensity, HID does a very good job here. However the intense white light of the HID will only light up the fog in front of you. You can see two beautiful straight beams going into the fog and nothing else. That said they don't get scattered.

For fog situation, you can try Osram All Season bulbs on halogen fog lamp units. For me, they fare better in rains and mild fog than Philips Rally bulbs which have a more white light. More expensive experiment would be getting warmer HID bulbs (2300k) and putting in an IPH unit.

PS: from my experience, when the light is more yellow, the intensity and throw reduces (Osram All Season). And you get better intensity + throw when white (Rally). This is true for all lights and hence, most manufacturers give cooler lights.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th November 2021 at 08:24.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed