Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 15:33   #1756
BANNED

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Quiet Robust construction and looks very functional. What spec steel sections did you use ?
Its been a long time, if memory serves me right it was 16 Gauge 1.5 inch pipes.

I could've gone with a lesser grade but at times I do mount a 50L top box and two 20L panniers, so wanted to make sure the stand would be strong enough to haul the motorcycle with everything in place.

Quote:
Did you consider cost difference using pipes? I am asking this, in Trivandrum its quiet easy to get pipes bend as required to make a more conventional looking one
I had this made at Kollam with the help of fellow enthusiast KB100 from the xBhp community, he was the one who took care of the designing and finding means to source tubes.

If you can get better alternatives then that would be better than going for these ready made ones that are sold for stupid high prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Giving 3000 ₹ for a paddock stand is too much
Seriously man, and the quality is questionable at best, you may be able to lube chain, anything more and it'd have you regretting the choice.'
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 16:54   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
replace the front tyre on my CGT 535
I was in the same situation last year and went ahead and picked up a pair of Ralco Speed Blasters for both front and rear. 100/90–18 is available in Ralco. Been using it since October and overall I'm liking it.

Here are a few pictures if it might help you decide:

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191019_192015.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191020_121806.jpg

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 19:37   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I was in the same situation last year and went ahead and picked up a pair of Ralco Speed Blasters for both front and rear. 100/90–18 is available in Ralco. Been using it since October and overall I'm liking it.

Ride safe,
R-Six
Change the direction of the front tyre.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 20:59   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Change the direction of the front tyre.
Hi Jeepster,

After reading your post, I had to go to the parking and take a second look to see if the direction is incorrect now. But I can confirm that it is set correctly.

Here is a picture that I just took:

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-gt-front-tyre-direction.jpg

Any specific reason why you suggest this?

Ride safe,
R-Six
Old 26th February 2020, 00:27   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jeepster,

After reading your post, I had to go to the parking and take a second look to see if the direction is incorrect now. But I can confirm that it is set correctly.
The tyre you are using is marketed as rear one.

So that direction is for the tyre when its mounted at rear wheel.

All manufacturers use opposite direction for front tyre as shown in following examples.

Custom 650
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-modifiedroyalenfieldinterceptor650tandav650front.jpg
Himalayan
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-royalenfieldhimalayanfrontdesign1577094312.jpg
BMW G 310 R

HERO XPulse 200

KTM Duke and 390ADV

Benelli TRK 502

KAWASAKI duo

My Suzuki GS150R (Suzuki GS 150R: Braking causes the rear to slide out) with MRF Nylogrip meteor 100/90/18 (rear) & MRF Motogrio Meteor-M 3.00-18 (front) in 2013

So ignore the arrow and remount the tyre.
rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 26th February 2020 at 00:31.
jeepster is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 02:20   #1761
BANNED

Quote:
Any specific reason why you suggest this?
Tyres for use on different ends of the motorcycle have not only different patterns but also opposing direction of threads.

Hence why if you look at the rear and front tyres youd notice that the they have opposing thread direction as can be observed below.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pirelliangelctfrontandrear.jpg

So don't bother thinking about it, if you're using rear tyre at the front or vice versa, always flip direction of use.
ashwinprakas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 14:39   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that explanation, Nikhil and Ashwin!

So the tire I picked up is marketed as a Front Tyre for Continental GT and Interceptor. Not sure if it is actually a rear tire that is being marketed and sold as a front one.

Product Link: https://www.amazon.in/Ralco-Speed-Blaster-Enfield-Interceptor-Continental

If you guys still feel that the mounting should be reversed, please confirm. I can certainly go back to the mech on the weekend to get this sorted.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 26th February 2020, 16:36   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you guys still feel that the mounting should be reversed, please confirm. I can certainly go back to the mech on the weekend to get this sorted.

This is not life threatening in city limits or daily city rides IMO.

So no need to do it ASAP, but if you have time get it done.
Old 28th February 2020, 22:10   #1764
BHPian

Quote:

So that direction is for the tyre when its mounted at rear wheel.

All manufacturers use opposite direction for front tyre as shown in following examples.

Nikhil

I have heard this before, but what's the rationale in reversing the direction of rotation? It's certainly not the case with cars, direction of rotation doesn't change whether the tyres are put in front or rear wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Motorcycle tyres have to be mounted in a particular way, especially so if ridden in rain. The front tyre disperses water in a way that allows the rear tyre to continue maintaining traction.

That still doesn't make much sense. Sure the front does the lion's share of water dispersion but both tyres rotate in the same direction, so the water channels ought to be directed in the same way whether front or rear (and it is so with cars). I don't see why the tread/channels being reversed is a necessity. Must mark this topic for future personal R&D.

Last edited by Ricci : 28th February 2020 at 22:27.
Old 28th February 2020, 22:16   #1765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I have heard this before, but what's the rationale in reversing the direction of rotation? It's certainly not the case with cars, direction of rotation doesn't change whether the tyres are put in front or rear wheel.
Motorcycle tyres have to be mounted in a particular way, especially so if ridden in rain. The front tyre disperses water in a way that allows the rear tyre to continue maintaining traction.

This is also a reason why one must avoid using different tread patterns for the front and rear when riding out on the street. Tyres are always designed to go as a set for the best traction, efficiency, and mileage.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:38   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
  • I have heard this before, but what's the rationale in reversing the direction of rotation?
  • It's certainly not the case with cars, direction of rotation doesn't change whether the tyres are put in front or rear wheel.
  • Even i dont have exact answer for why.. It was just an observation when i was searching tyre for my bike in 2012.
Edit: some info i just found.
Quote:
Why do motorcycle front and rear tires have opposite tread patterns?

The next question then is, why is it designed as such? The main reason is that the front and the rear tires experience different forces. The rear tire is primarily used for acceleration and propelling the motorcycle forward. Whereas the front tire experiences the greatest forces during braking. And thus, the treads are designed with these primary forces in mind.

Source: http://sgbikerboy.com/2016/12/26/why...read-patterns/
  • cars usually have non directional tyres so we dont have to worry about the direction. But some vehicle do have directional tyres specifically offroad vehicles. (jeeps)
ex

Source : Amazon.com
Quote:
The Roadone Cavalry M/T is designed to handle the harshest of terrains. The directional design with large tread blocks help self-clean and evacuate mud for better traction.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-91uwahw0dnl._sl1500_.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-919kadh21ql._sl1500_.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 28th February 2020 at 22:42.
jeepster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 17:32   #1767
BHPian

The past few posts with regards to tyre treads and ensuring the pattern is opposing has been very enlightening. How are the Ralco's in terms of grip in the wet?
adises is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 08:16   #1768
BHPian

I've been thinking to convert the tires to tubeless but did like to retain the steel spokes. I find the Outex too expensive. Hopefully I get time to try below experiment . We need to find a smaller tube that can stay fit inside the rim

Check out this link .

Thanks
Rahul

Last edited by rahulskumar : 4th March 2020 at 08:17.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:57   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

After watching that video I came to the conclusion that this might work for a bicycle tire but there is no way I would try it on a motorcycle tire/rim.

The weight, horsepower and braking forces motorcycle tires need to cope with are many, many times larger than anything a bicycle tire needs to handle.

For instance, a average human can make about 1.2 horsepower briefly and even an old, worn out Royal Enfield 350 can easily make over 12 horsepower.

A bicycle and its rider might weigh 95 kg. A Royal Enfield and its rider can weigh 270 kg.
Bicycle speeds might be up to 24 kmph sustained speed while a motorcycle like a Royal Enfield can easily top 100 kmph. Because energy functions as a square of the velocity, that difference in speed becomes even more appearent if we just square the numbers. 24 squared = 576. 100 squared = 10,000.

My advice is, don''t try this "tubeless tire" trick on your motorcycle. Your life may be in the balance.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 22:52   #1770
BHPian

Quote:

So the tire I picked up is marketed as a Front Tyre for Continental GT and Interceptor. Not sure if it is actually a rear tire that is being marketed and sold as a front one.

Product Link: https://www.amazon.in/Ralco-Speed-Blaster-Enfield-Interceptor-Continental

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Also, the Ralco tyres you bought have a speed rating of 'P', whereas the stock Pirellis are rated 'H' (P is the lower rating). For a motorcycle like the Interceptor, P-rated tyres are likely to wear out sooner than the recommended H.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks