Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:39   #5251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Will you kindly mention the source of Innova figures you have got.

Thanks.

P.S: My source is Innova service manual Part No. 01999-0k147
01-1301-00
My source is cardekho.com!

They were very accurate about the XUV's service intervals, so I assumed they would get the Innova's right too! Anyways, thanks for pointing out the error.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:16   #5252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
My source is cardekho.com!

They were very accurate about the XUV's service intervals, so I assumed they would get the Innova's right too! Anyways, thanks for pointing out the error.
Went straight to cardekho.com and started comparing Innova VX BSIV model, XUV W6 2WD and Storme VX. Here are the findings, after few minutes stopped counting the blunders, because there were so many

Let the snaps do the talking. Some of the blunders are

Pic 1: No CD Player in Innova VX model (later you'll find that it has DVD player - it has to be first of it's kind DVD Player in the world which doesn't play CD's)

Pic 2: No central locking.

Pic 3: Drive type FWD.

Pic 4: No remote fuel lid opener (by the does remote mean with the remote key - I am currently rolling on the floor)

Pic 5: No cup holders rear.

Pic 6: Parking sensors (VX comes with rear camera not sensors, GX comes with sensors without camera).

Pic 7: Bottle holder.

Pic 8: Outside temperature display - it is very much there.

Pic 9: Adjustable headlights - which car now a days doesn't come with at least manual adjustment.

Pic 10: Rear window washer - only wiper and no washer, it's a laughter riot.

Oh God. http://www.cardekho.com/ can definitely be awarded as the worst automotive website of the decade. This also reaffirms my faith in team-bhp as the most authentic and unbiased automotive forum and source of information. Anybody looking for biased and paid reviews and information can and should look elsewhere.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-4.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-5.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-6.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-7.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-8.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-9.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-10.jpg  

Last edited by mroptimist : 3rd December 2013 at 21:39. Reason: Added some info.
mroptimist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:32   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Went straight to cardekho.com and started comparing Innova VX BSIV model, XUV W6 2WD and Storme VX. Here are the findings, after few minutes stopped counting the blunders, because there were so many
I do not refer such websites for features or prices. For that, the official websites are the best.

But official websites do not reveal scheduled services. Hence, cardekho.com and as I said, they were pretty accurate for the XUV, so I thought they would have done the research well for Innova too.

I hope apart from the fuel filter and coolant, everything else is correct.

Anyways,

I had made an excel sheet which is a comparison of the BASIC service costs of the Storme and the XUV. I have left the Innova out since as shown above, the service schedules I have is wrong -

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-untitled111.jpg

I have only included these four items in the excel as I could manage to source the prices of only these items, but I guess it would give you a fair idea of the ownership costs.

Now I understand that if I consider upto a Lac kms, then one more service of XUV will be included. Even in that case,

Total money spent on XUV in 100000 kms = Rs. 24525/-
Total money spent on Storme in 100000 kms = Rs. 22770/-

I do not see any major differences in the ownership costs.

Disclaimer: The above is the best to my knowledge. Any discrepancies should be kindly excused and can be bought to our notice.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th December 2013 at 10:39.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:11   #5254
J.Ravi

Just a few minutes back, I received a call from a sales executive of Mahindra dealership, who informed me that a cash discount of Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 5331
Size:  578 Bytes45,000 is offered on XUV500 variants for all bookings made on or before 10 December 2013. Exchange bonus of Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes15,000 and corporate discount of Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes8,000 are also offered excluding the cash discount. But, no free accessories.
  (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:35   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just a few minutes back, I received a call from a sales executive of Mahindra dealership, who informed me that a cash discount of Attachment 117434445,000 is offered on XUV500 variants for all bookings made on or before 10 December 2013. Exchange bonus of Attachment 117434415,000 and corporate discount of Attachment 11743448,000 are also offered excluding the cash discount. But, no free accessories.
Thats good news...i will check with the vendor whom i am dealing with. Are they still offering the 50% offer on insurance? or that has been taken away?
Old 4th December 2013, 12:13   #5256
BHPian

i too got a call from Sireesh (Bangalore) and they gave the following details on the discounts....
for W8:
Cash discount - 45000
Corp discount - 10000
exchange bonus - 15000
max of 70000 for W8
and for W6 its upto 60000, the only difference they quoted (as against W8) is cash discount is only 35000.

I have asked about the Insurance 50% discount, he said he will check and confirm
ebmrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:12   #5257
BHPian

the Konigstiger's 20k servicing done.

oil filter, fuel filter, engine oil, gear oil changed @ 4904 without labour charges.
wheel alignment, balancing & rotation done @ 1594 including weights cost.

mental note:
at the M&M ASC, wheel alignment costs INR 505, wheel balancing 505, and rotation 303 [incl of taxes]!!!!
infact i don't even understand why they charge for the tyre rotation, the wheels are removed and put back anyways for balancing. it feels as if they charge 75 bucks per tyre to carry it over to the other side!
it'll be considerably cheaper [almost half?!] to get wheel alignment & balancing done outside. if i remember right, the wheel alignment cost outside is about 300-350 bucks.

mental arithmetic:
cost of oils & filters change for my Scorpio in Aug '12 [free service]: ~4800
cost of oils & filters change for my XUV in Nov '13 [free service]: ~4900

not bad, eh?! :-D
kaiserketkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:34   #5258
J.Ravi

Today, I test-drove Renault Duster [THP-RXZ-E3 PLUS - 110 PS top variant] and Tata Safari Storme VX. Earlier, I test-drove XUV500 W8 FWD four times.

Now, my ranking is:

1. XUV500 W8 FWD [will book shortly]

2. Renault Duster [THP-RXZ-E3 PLUS - 110 PS top variant]

3. Tata Safari Storme VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
Are they still offering the 50% offer on insurance? or that has been taken away?
50% insurance discount has been taken away.
  (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 10:07   #5259
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am kinda interested in XUV500 W4 variant. It has all the features that I would need. Also, since it has lesser features, so there will be lesser chances of issues.
But 1 thing I would like to know is that has Mahindra improved on its quality post the XUV launch in 2011 or still no major changes have been done?
What are the discounts currently being offered on W4 variant?
Old 6th December 2013, 19:37   #5260
Max
BHPian

I went today to Mahindra show room to see XUV500 W4 model and was blown away after seeing the car. Its not a car, its a dream machine and the mean one! No wonder why this thread is so long because all the owners must be very proud after owning their XUV 500. My dealership experience was also very good and sale guy was very helpful.

Although I always liked XUV500 but never got interested due to the price tag. To my surprise the car W4 was ripped away from all the features in the way it will never recover! The car is ripped away from all the lighting features. There is no cooled glow box (even 6 lakhs Hyundai i10 grand have this feature) and no auto climate, no fog lamps etc.

The biggest disappointment is music system which do not have ability to play USB pen drives. You also can not upgrade music system later as its integrated with cars dashboard and cars computer (this is what sales person told me). This is very ridiculous and deal breaker for me. Mahindra should have left double DIN empty for cost cutting and should have provided buyers a option to install it later. Another thing which set me off is, white color is available only in W8 which cost 16.5 lakhs on road but my wife liked silver color as well so we can live with it.

Imagine 13.5 lakhs car (on road) which have no decent music system, no proper lighting features and comes only in silver and black color! Not only this also keep at least 50k aside for alloys and other stuff, so 14 lakhs car without proper music system! Its such a frustration and like leaving very bad test about the car and towards the brand in the eyes of prospective buyer. No wonder why XUV is not doing great numbers.

In my opinion W4 model is just a marketing gimmick from mahindra to bring people in the showroom but will not generate good volume till they leave double din empty for aftermarket upgrade.

Last edited by Max : 6th December 2013 at 19:58. Reason: Spelling
Old 6th December 2013, 20:11   #5261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
The biggest disappointment is music system which do not have ability to play USB pen drives. You also can not upgrade music system later as its integrated with cars dashboard and cars computer (this is what sales person told me). This is very ridiculous and deal breaker for me. [b]Mahindra should have left double DIN empty for cost cutting and should have provided buyers a option to install it later.
You can always get an aftermarket system added in W4. Just remove the clock and put in a single din system and disconnect the CD player which is there in W4. Thats it, you are done.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 20:30   #5262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I test-drove Renault Duster [THP-RXZ-E3 PLUS - 110 PS top variant] and Tata Safari Storme VX. Earlier, I test-drove XUV500 W8 FWD four times.

Now, my ranking is:

1. XUV500 W8 FWD [will book shortly]

2. Renault Duster [THP-RXZ-E3 PLUS - 110 PS top variant]

3. Tata Safari Storme VX
Where is your detailed analysis? That is just a short summary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
But 1 thing I would like to know is that has Mahindra improved on its quality post the XUV launch in 2011 or still no major changes have been done?
I drive a Oct 2012 XUV W8.

Recently, I test drove a brand new 2013 W8. I noticed a perceptible difference in the -
  • NVH - but that maybe because my car has been pretty much abused over 25k kms
  • Ride - The new car's ride quality felt more planted, soft and quieter
  • The new car's brakes are a massive improvement over the older ones.
However, M&M is retrofitting the new parts to the older cars as well. My car's brakes and ride have been rejunevated with the help of new suspension bushes, stabilizer bar, new brake pads and brake master cylinder. Very old XUVs (2011 ones) get a new brake pedal too.

So to answer your question, the XUV has never been a bad car, but it has been improved further. Also, most niggles have been sorted out by now. If at all any issues do appear, you can trust M&M to solve them without any monetary loss to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Although I always liked XUV500 but never got interested due to the price tag. To my surprise the car W4 was ripped away from all the features in the way it will never recover!
Think about it like this - for that price, you get a full fledged SUV/crossover with a modern monocoque chassis, good safety ratings, 2 airbags and ABS nice balance of ride and handling, a torquey and fuel efficient diesel engine and comfortable and spacious interiors.

Compare this to the competitors like Duster, Terrano, Storme and Aria.

Quote:
The car is ripped away from all the lighting features.
There is no cooled glow box (even 6 lakhs Hyundai i10 grand have this feature) and no auto climate, no fog lamps etc.
Lighting features like?

The fog lights can be retro fitted.

If you are talking about the lounge lights inside the cabin, let me tell you, they are crap! I have a W8 and I am speaking from experience!

Even the W4 has projector headlights. Yes, it misses on static bending headlights, which is sad. But even the competition does not offer them. Heck, even the 28 Lac Fortuner does not have them!

Again, none of the competition offers automatic climate control at this price.

See, you cannot compare a SUV with a hatchback in terms of features. Because then the XUV is much bigger and has a larger engine and is more expensive to build than the i20.

Quote:
The biggest disappointment is music system which do not have ability to play USB pen drives.
I agree on this. M&M should not have skimped on USB compatibility.

Quote:
Imagine 13.5 lakhs car (on road) which have no decent music system, no proper lighting features and comes only in silver and black color! Not only this also keep at least 50k aside for alloys and other stuff, so 14 lakhs car without proper music system! Its such a frustration and like leaving very bad test about the car and towards the brand in the eyes of prospective buyer. No wonder why XUV is not doing great numbers.
With an open mind, compare the XUV W4 again with its actual competitors in terms of features and on road price.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 22:37   #5263
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a bit confused here. There's rear fog lamp switch. However, I cannot figure out where the fog lamps are placed. Some one give me a heads up please.
Old 6th December 2013, 23:27   #5264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I am a bit confused here. There's rear fog lamp switch. However, I cannot figure out where the fog lamps are placed. Some one give me a heads up please.
Its inside tail light cluster right above stop light bulb.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 00:34   #5265
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
You can always get an aftermarket system added in W4. Just remove the clock and put in a single din system and disconnect the CD player which is there in W4. Thats it, you are done.
Will this effect warranty?

Most Viewed