Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 17:44   #4951
avm
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Hi guys!
I got my Orange Baby Beast (1.5P Titamium) on Saturday will post pics soon.
Still cant get over the beauty. Infact I don't feel like parking the car and going home also !!

A couple of doubts which I would appreciate if you guys could answer:
1. The car revs up automatically to about 2.5 RPM when i put it in reverse gear and give a very slight acceleration. your experience in this ? Is it because of a brand new engine ?

2. In the 2nd gear, the car hardly has any pickup till 2 RPM. Your views on this?

3. Huge 'thuds' are faced on potholes / uneven road surface. Any chance of making the suspension more comfortable ?

4. While playing songs through the bluetooth (of the iphone), the screen only shows "connected to my iphone", any chance of removing that text and seeing the name of the song on the display ?

5. Any way to keep the Ecosport lady mum as soon as we connect the phone to the bluetooth? Everytime I connect the phone, she says "Phone connected via BT and emergency assist is set to off/on"

6. If the car switches off on the road, do we always have to turn the ignition fully off and then start again ? This takes time and the impatient population of India cannot control their horns.

Would really appreciate your help on these issues.

Cheers!
avm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 18:06   #4952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Beware of the quality , most of them are rubber mudflaps on ebay
Thankfully the one I got from ebay.in was plastic type and matches the OEM one in look , feel and material. I have seen mud flaps in Aliexpress though, which are rubber made and flexible.
Old 21st October 2013, 18:30   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avm View Post
1. The car revs up automatically to about 2.5 RPM when i put it in reverse gear and give a very slight acceleration. your experience in this ? Is it because of a brand new engine ?
Not in my 1.5P AT.
Quote:
2. In the 2nd gear, the car hardly has any pickup till 2 RPM. Your views on this?
True. Somebody even called this "turbo lag"
And to make matters worse, the AT up-shifts as soon as the rpm crosses 2K rpm. Since yours is the MT, you can work your gears to stay above the 2K range.

Last edited by ecosport : 21st October 2013 at 18:31.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 19:53   #4954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Until around 1000KMS I did not cross 2500 RPM but from 1000 to 1500 I drove at around 3000-3200 RPM.
You limited yourself to 3000 rpm until 1500 kms? You must have the patience of a saint! I'm following the approach of max 3000 rpm, but allow occasional 4000 rpm in lower gears (1st - 3rd) - my rationale being that the torque multiplication through gearing in those gears ensures that the engine is not strained. The surge of acceleration in those gears - addictive, especially when combined with a muted engine sound, when compared to diesels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
The MID is pretty distracting. The moment it falls below 10 kmpl, I start panicking. BTW, I reset it for every trip.
I reset the MID for fuel consumption/average speed during every tankful, not each trip. With that approach, I've found the MID is very close to the tankful calculation... close enough within the margin of error. I'm a little irritated at Ford for not offering a 2nd trip meter - my dinky old low-end Getz has two trip meters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
It somehow tends to pull my eye towards it, even while I am driving to look at the real-time kmpl bars. I go gloomy when it momentarily goes as low as 5 kmpl and start smiling the next moment when it goes over 15!
I think you're referring to the instantaneous indicator (i.e. the bar chart at the top of the MID), while I was referring to the average mileage indicator (accessed through the TRIP button on the left stalk).

I actually like the instantaneous indicator - while it is scary to see it nearly disappear during hard acceleration, it did teach me the following points:
  • Shifting down at low engine speeds improves mileage
  • Coasting in gear gives 30+, but coasting with the clutch pressed gives lesser (the latter is dangerous, but people think it helps mileage)

Quote:
3. Huge 'thuds' are faced on potholes / uneven road surface. Any chance of making the suspension more comfortable?
Congratulations on your car, glad it was well worth the wait!

The huge thuds are scary - the first time I heard it I thought: "There go my alloys, there go my sidewalls". Turned out to be much ado about nothing. I get this sound despite running at the max recommended pressure (35 psi) at the front. I now try to brake before the bump/pothole to bleed speed, and release the brake just before the bump/pothole to unload the suspension and increase its travel.

Quote:
5. Any way to keep the Ecosport lady mum as soon as we connect the phone to the bluetooth? Everytime I connect the phone, she says "Phone connected via BT and emergency assist is set to off/on"
I don't recall the exact setting, but I fiddled around with the options in the Sync menu on the center console, and I've turned the voice announcement off. The screen still shows the text that I've connected my phone and have emergency assistance on.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 20:50   #4955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I actually like the instantaneous indicator - while it is scary to see it nearly disappear during hard acceleration, it did teach me the following points:
  • Shifting down at low engine speeds improves mileage
  • Coasting in gear gives 30+, but coasting with the clutch pressed gives lesser (the latter is dangerous, but people think it helps mileage
It is safer to stay in gear, than glide in neutral or clutch. Modern engines cut off fuel supply while coasting, thereby improving mileage.

We had a little discussion on another thread. Your observation with the instantaneous indicator proves the point, as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3260554
Old 21st October 2013, 20:58   #4956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Whenever I park my EcoSport after driving, i see a small pool of some liquid (most likely water) under the car. Is it water coming out from AC and is it normal for EcoSport? Have checked the Owner manual but it is not covered anywhere. Also, I haven't seen this in any of my other cars or may be haven't noticed.
Dont worry it is definitely the condensation water from the airconditioner, it happens in all cars and you can see it depending on where the drain is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Actually, few drops are ok but I'm getting a small pool every time. Was wondering could this be because of leakage in cleaning water reservoir and also if any BHPian has experienced this kind of leakage? Will get it checked nevertheless and post if there are any issues with cleaning water reservoir.
It happens to my car also , it is completely normal

[quote=arunphilipThe huge thuds are scary - the first time I heard it I thought: "There go my alloys, there go my sidewalls". Turned out to be much ado about nothing. I get this sound despite running at the max recommended pressure (35 psi) at the front. I now try to brake before the bump/pothole to bleed speed, and release the brake just before the bump/pothole to unload the suspension and increase its travel.[/QUOTE]

The specific problem of thud was irritating me for a long time.I contacted ford and they couldnt even understand the problem.I had no choice but seek outside help, I called srinivas gopal from satya gopal auto and he send me these buffers I am attaching in the pictures below.

My problem got solved like magic.
Old 21st October 2013, 21:50   #4957
Senior - BHPian

The buffers pictures were not uploaded due to some problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20131021wa0012.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20131021wa0011.jpg  

ecosport rules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 22:55   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
I reset the MID for fuel consumption/average speed during every tankful, not each trip. With that approach, I've found the MID is very close to the tankful calculation... close enough within the margin of error. I'm a little irritated at Ford for not offering a 2nd trip meter - my dinky old low-end Getz has two trip meters!
Now that you know that the MID is accurate, you just rendered it redundant if you plan to continue with checking the tank full method. Checking FE of different runs is fun. At least when you are still discovering. My office commutes give me 9.7. Ecity to Silk Board gives me 20. The drive back gives me 17. etc.

Quote:
I don't recall the exact setting, but I fiddled around with the options in the Sync menu on the center console, and I've turned the voice announcement off. The screen still shows the text that I've connected my phone and have emergency assistance on.
Oh, if she could be silenced, it would be a huge relief. I don't use any voice commands, and don't plan to use it ever. I hate talking to machines, and don't want machines talking to me either.
Old 22nd October 2013, 00:27   #4959
Senior - BHPian

Hope I can post this here. Just last week I was driving quite leisurely and as I crossed a speed bump and depressed the accelerator pedal, a sign pops up in the MID. "Engine Malfunction, Service Now!" I was shocked. I went to the service center next day itself and got it checked, indeed an error was visible in the error log, a throttle error. But the sign did not appear once i had shut the car off and restarted it again. Service center could not answer me properly and said there is nothing wrong, and I can come back when I see the error again. The same error popped up again yesterday. Went to service center and gave the car for a day for a thorough check up. I don't know what to expect from the service center tomorrow! Any one else with a similar error? Pardon my ignorance if I have not read the entire thread post by post.
The error in the MID:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-image1009976894.jpg  

adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 00:56   #4960
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The buffers pictures were not uploaded due to some problem.
Have you installed the buffers.
Price?
Where from? - Contact?
Thanks in advance.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 01:13   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have you installed the buffers.

Hey i'm a novice in the area.
could please tell me how does a buffer work?

I haven't faced a similar thud from my car when on puddled roads.
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:05   #4962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The specific problem of thud was irritating me for a long time.I contacted ford and they couldnt even understand the problem.I had no choice but seek outside help, I called srinivas gopal from satya gopal auto and he send me these buffers I am attaching in the pictures below. My problem got solved like magic.
Thank you, let me check into this.

OT: On the box, it says "tenacious", "and so on"... is this Chinglish or a good sense of humour on the manufacturer's part? Looking at the packaging, I suspect the former

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Hey i'm a novice in the area.
could please tell me how does a buffer work?
I haven't faced a similar thud from my car when on puddled roads.
Buffers are flexible strips of rubber (or silicone, as it appears in ecosport rules' post) that are inserted into the coil spring in the suspension, to prevent the suspension bottoming out under load/compression.

Read this excellent thread by GTO: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd heard about coil spring adjusters a short while back, and was willing to try, especially since it's a cheap mod widely used by Forum'ers across the globe. Cost = Rs. 4,000 - 4,500 for a set of 4, and 1/2 of that for only the rear (including installation charges)... This part is very popular in the UK, especially amongst station wagons without self-levelling rear suspensions.

You can install coil-spring adjusters at the top of the spring (working at all times), in the middle (effective under mild to full load) or at the bottom (comes into play only under full load).
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:31   #4963
BHPian

Quote:
I'm following the approach of max 3000 rpm, but allow occasional 4000 rpm in lower gears (1st - 3rd) - my rationale being that the torque multiplication through gearing in those gears ensures that the engine is not strained.
I am wondering which roads you travel in Bangalore where you can reach 4k RPM in city? (I read that your driving is 100 percent city)
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:45   #4964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hope I can post this here. Just last week I was driving quite leisurely and as I crossed a speed bump and depressed the accelerator pedal, a sign pops up in the MID. "Engine Malfunction, Service Now!" I was shocked.
Dude, I got the same error yesterday. I had taken the car to a ghat section this weekend and while coming back I got this error. It's supposed to be a powertrain malfunction due to sudden acceleration and deceleration. I switched off the engine and everything went back to normal and didnt notice this error during the next 120 odd kms. My car will be up for service next week so will be reporting this error to them. Any news kindly keep me posted.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:49   #4965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hope I can post this here. Just last week I was driving quite leisurely and as I crossed a speed bump and depressed the accelerator pedal, a sign pops up in the MID. "Engine Malfunction, Service Now!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Dude, I got the same error yesterday. I had taken the car to a ghat section this weekend and while coming back I got this error. It's supposed to be a powertrain malfunction due to sudden acceleration and deceleration.
Kindly keep us posted too regarding this here. If its occurring with a few more people, maybe its an area which Ford needs to look at for all the Ecosports.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks