Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2023, 20:18   #3571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO28 View Post
Hi,
Did you use these pads and can you please share an update as to how these brake pads were? Is it good or better compared to the OEM pads?

How would you compare these to the EBC brake pads? And finally which would you recommend.
Got these on my Crysta two days ago. Stock pads had done 32k kms and had maybe 4-5k kms life left. But the thickness was 4mm or so and the brake needed a bit of pressure to work, naturally due to reduced pad thickness. Hence decided to try TVS Apache Elite just because they were 1600 odd and were supposedly high performance pads.

The box comes with equipped with all the clips and shims which other brands skimp on. During change I noticed that the brake discs were at its original thickness and there was zero wear.

Initial impressions of the pad wasn't prominent but after 300kms of highway driving, they definitely have sharper bite than stock pads. The stock pads have a very linear feel to them and need some pressure to stop at lower speeds. But the TVS Girlings have a sharper initial feel. There isn't much brake fade either. The downside at least for now seems to be excessive brake dust

However I'm thinking of switching back to Toyota Genuine pads since this was an experiment and I'm not sure if the high performance pads have a disc eating habit. Stock pads are sufficient for the sort of use we put it through and 30-40k kms of use even with a good usage of brakes is very good. The brake pads of my SX4 and Slavia under similar driving aggression hardly will last 15k kms

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_7555.jpeg

Next up is tyres. I realised one of the tyres has a tear in the sidewall with a bit of the nylon ply exposed. But there is no air loss. Replaced it with the spare tyre for the first time. Thinking of changing the tyres soon since I have already started hating the Bridgestones and dad is also complaining of loss of traction at high speeds(read 150+). They also start skidding the moment we brake hard. Just rubbish.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th June 2023 at 20:26.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 20:38   #3572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Got these on my Crysta two days ago. Stock pads had done 32k kms and had maybe 4-5k kms life left. But the thickness was 4mm or so and the brake needed a bit of pressure to work, naturally due to reduced pad thickness. Hence decided to try TVS Apache Elite just because they were 1600 odd and were supposedly high performance pads.

The box comes with equipped with all the clips and shims which other brands skimp on. During change I noticed that the brake discs were at its original thickness and there was zero wear.

Initial impressions of the pad wasn't prominent but after 300kms of highway driving, they definitely have sharper bite than stock pads. The stock pads have a very linear feel to them and need some pressure to stop at lower speeds. But the TVS Girlings have a sharper initial feel. There isn't much brake fade either. The downside at least for now seems to be excessive brake dust

However I'm thinking of switching back to Toyota Genuine pads since this was an experiment and I'm not sure if the high performance pads have a disc eating habit. Stock pads are sufficient for the sort of use we put it through and 30-40k kms of use even with a good usage of brakes is very good. The brake pads of my SX4 and Slavia under similar driving aggression hardly will last 15k kms
Thank you for the feedback.
It is good to know that the pads have a better bite than the stock. Regarding the brake dust, it should reduce after a few thousand kilometers.
Even the brake pads on my car last only around 20K kilometers because of my driving.
I am thinking of getting these pads for my Innova Touring Sport.

The stock OEM pads at more than ₹6K makes no sense when we can get better after aftermarket pads from EBC and Brembo at a lesser price.

But I should also get the discs changed on my car. When I went to a so called Bosch service center to get the EBC pads installed, they screwed up the disc skimming and so should get it changed. Thinking if I should go for EBC pads again or give this a try.

Regarding the discs which would you recommend Bosch or TVS Girling?

Thank you.
Old 30th June 2023, 21:10   #3573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO28 View Post
Thank you for the feedback.
It is good to know that the pads have a better bite than the stock. Regarding the brake dust, it should reduce after a few thousand kilometers.
Regarding the discs which would you recommend Bosch or TVS Girling?

Thank you.
I would not go with either and just get rotors from Toyota itself. Somehow not a fan of these aftermarket suppliers as long as you aren't looking for performance upgrade. Even if the company supplies to the OEM as well, quality won't be the same. In my case the discs aren't even eaten by 1mm in 32k kms whereas in Slavia at 12k kms I can already see a 1mm decrease in depth. And there is no shuddering either so I would not get it skimmed or anything. Just replace rotors and get Toyota original. The car doesn't deserve such aftermarket parts.
Old 30th June 2023, 21:23   #3574
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a question to owners and knowledgeable people. As per the spec sheet of Crysta, the top end Z variant comes in 7 seater configuration only. Does it mean that it comes with captain seats in middle row or is a bench seat for 3 with 2 seats in rear row?

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20230630_211750.jpg
Old 30th June 2023, 21:33   #3575
BHPian

Quote:
I would not go with either and just get rotors from Toyota itself. Somehow not a fan of these aftermarket suppliers as long as you aren't looking for performance upgrade. Even if the company supplies to the OEM as well, quality won't be the same. In my case the discs aren't even eaten by 1mm in 32k kms whereas in Slavia at 12k kms I can already see a 1mm decrease in depth. And there is no shuddering either so I would not get it skimmed or anything. Just replace rotors and get Toyota original. The car doesn't deserve such aftermarket parts.
I am indeed looking for an upgrade, I don’t even know if the discs for the Crysta are manufactured by Brembo and EBC.
In case they do manufacture, then it is quite difficult to get the discs from Brembo and EBC as they don’t even have the disc listed on their respective websites for the Innova Crysta.

So now the option is to install either Bosch or TVS Girling Discs and get TVS Girling pads or EBC pads.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I have a question to owners and knowledgeable people. As per the spec sheet of Crysta, the top end Z variant comes in 7 seater configuration only. Does it mean that it comes with captain seats in middle row or is a bench seat for 3 with 2 seats in rear row?

Attachment 2470173
Hi,
As per my knowledge, the Innova Crysta in the top end Z trim, does come only with captain seats in the middle row. The third row is treated as a 3 seater.

Thank you.

Last edited by TURBO28 : 30th June 2023 at 21:36. Reason: Text formatting.
TURBO28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 19:15   #3576
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm getting similar quotes for 215/55/R17 and 225/55/R17. Two reasons I'm inching towards the latter is the expectation of increased grip and higher load rating. The 215s are all rated at 94 which gives a max load of 2680kg. Given that the Innova Crysta has a kerb weight of 1900 odd kgs, even with seven people averaging 80 kilos and some luggage will put it close to max weight. So inclining to go with 101 load rating tyres which will be rated for 3200kg of load.

Anyone has a negative opinion on going with 225? I'm not worried about FE difference or PDI reading. I'm getting option MRF Perfinza and Vredestein Ultrac Vorti at 225/55 and Goodyear Comfort tread, Yokohama Earth in 225/55 at similar prices, which sound very attractive. Vredestein I have direct experience and they have been good but are only available in 215. Not sure how Goodyears and Yokos would be compared to stock Bridgestone and I definitely want it to be an upgrade and not just a swap.
Old 2nd July 2023, 10:17   #3577
BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting similar quotes for 215/55/R17 and 225/55/R17. Two reasons I'm inching towards the latter is the expectation of increased grip and higher load rating. The 215s are all rated at 94 which gives a max load of 2680kg. Given that the Innova Crysta has a kerb weight of 1900 odd kgs, even with seven people averaging 80 kilos and some luggage will put it close to max weight. So inclining to go with 101 load rating tyres which will be rated for 3200kg of load.

Anyone has a negative opinion on going with 225? I'm not worried about FE difference or PDI reading. I'm getting option MRF Perfinza and Vredestein Ultrac Vorti at 225/55 and Goodyear Comfort tread, Yokohama Earth in 225/55 at similar prices, which sound very attractive. Vredestein I have direct experience and they have been good but are only available in 215. Not sure how Goodyears and Yokos would be compared to stock Bridgestone and I definitely want it to be an upgrade and not just a swap.
Hi,
Just to confirm, are you on the stock alloy?
If you are, then I think the max supported tyre size for the 17inch alloy is 215. Won’t it be a problem if going with 225?

If you really do want to go for the 225 then why don’t you check the Michelin Primacy 4, if available in stock? Or if you are looking for a sporty tyre then did you check the Yokohama Advan Sport V105?

These are just suggestions.

Note: I haven’t personally used the above mentioned tyres, so please research and buy at your own risk.

Thank you.
TURBO28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 23:53   #3578
BHPian

Price of VX and ZX hiked by around 30,000 while GX stays at the same 19,99,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot_20230705_235213_brave.jpg  

Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 10:52   #3579
Senior - BHPian

I experciened a strange issue with the car today.

The car was idle for a week after a 600 km roadtrip.

When I started it, it laboured a bit on the starter, so I let it go. Then I turned the starter again, this time it just rotated but did not start. Third time it spluttered a bit and then started.

I shut it down just to check will it start again and now its starting at half crank like it usually does.

Anyone faced this issue ever?
Old 10th July 2023, 12:01   #3580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The car was idle for a week ?
Not on Innova, however I noticed something similar during cold starts after car is idle for around a week. It was due to clogged fuel filter for me (not due to impurity, but a defective batch). If unable to pin point on other causes, you can check your filter too. Especially if you have filled fuel from not so reliable bunks during the 600KMs trip you mentioned.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 12:03   #3581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

When I started it, it laboured a bit on the starter, so I let it go. Then I turned the starter again, this time it just rotated but did not start. Third time it spluttered a bit and then started.

I shut it down just to check will it start again and now its starting at half crank like it usually does.

Anyone faced this issue ever?
There will be lack of fuel pressure at the low pressure side which would have taken time to build up and fire the engine. The Innova doesnt have a low pressure fuel pump to send fuel from the tank to the high pressure pump and lack of pressure would cause a delayed start. Happens once in a while especially after a prolonged idle period.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 12:13   #3582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It happens due to low fuel pressure. After a prolonged halt, turn on the ignition and let the fuel pump prime for say 30 seconds before cranking. This issue will not occur.

Quote:
Yoko Earth 1 do not age well and become noisy after 10-15k kms. They are on the harder compound side and not exactly aimed at comfortable ride. I would suggest the Perfinza or Vredestein

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th July 2023 at 08:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use multi quote / edit function, where required. Thank you.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 01:19   #3583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Does it mean that it comes with captain seats in middle row or is a bench seat for 3 with 2 seats in rear row?
Z variant comes with captain seats in the middle row.
Old 18th July 2023, 11:49   #3584
BHPian

Hey I have the BS6 Innova Crysta FL (2021-22)
Can anyone show me how the official foglamps are? Are they better than the aftermarket ones?
Old 27th July 2023, 21:48   #3585
BHPian

Hello members,
I got the 10000 kms service for the Innova Crysta AT done today. Everything was done satisfactorily and the drive was quite smooth and was going well.

While returning home, the DPF regeneration automatically started, just as it should. Here is the problem I felt for the first time since I got the car.

There was some stop and go traffic on the way during the regeneration process. After I came to a complete halt or almost to a complete halt, when I let go of the brakes slightly, the car started to jerk. The jerks were very similar to a manual car like when you let go of the clutch very quickly. But it was not that aggressive as well.

But I could definitely feel the jerks happening like that. The jerks did not happen when I let go of the brakes completely. I don’t know what is wrong, since I haven’t had this problem until now and this started just today.

Your valuable inputs would be of great help and did any of the other members face such an issue like this, especially in a AT?

Thank you.
TURBO28 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks