Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 22:23   #4816
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Since Tata has a Full EV car already with same chassis, I doubt there will any hybrid from them.
I honestly feel that is a mistake in Tata's strategy. In a vast country like ours, with patchy infrastructure, a pure EV will always have fewer takers than Hybrids. A hybrid can help bridge the gap like no other.

If Tata launched a hybrid Nexon (a proper hybrid like the one Honda/Toyota have) at 10-15lac range, it will outsell all other variants of Nexon
Old 25th July 2022, 22:51   #4817
BHPian

Any Nexon BS6 diesel owners here? Are you guys noticing diesel-oil mixing issue? Quite a few cases in Altroz forums.
Old 26th July 2022, 11:25   #4818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Hello Bhpians,
Can someone give insights on the fit and finish department?
How are the ergonomics?
How to the AMT gearbox?
To be honest - I think nobody else can answer these for you, since only you know your tolerances for all these. Drive a friend's Nexon for a while (if one has it) or take a TD and spend time in the car in the showroom in various seats and check. Only you can decide if the fit & finish is acceptable for you, if the AMT is good enough for what you are looking for & if you are comfortable in the cabin and everything is exactly where you like it.

There are thousands of Nexons being sold every month, so for sure none of the points you mentioned are horribly wrong in the car.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:41   #4819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Hello Bhpians,
Can someone give insights on the fit and finish department?
How are the ergonomics?
How to the AMT gearbox?
Are there any updates planned? I really don't like the cluster, I hope Tata changes it with the unit Altroz has.
Fit and finish are not the greatest, but very minor issues. The service center tries its best to rectify whatever is missed in the factory on the quality front.

My fuel tank was misaligned and I ignored it assuming this is one of those misses in Tata cars . When I pointed it out during the first service, there were no excuses from them. Quickly fixed it.

Gear shifts have also become smoother after the first service.

On the ergonomics and AMT part, there is nothing that you will not get used to in a few days. The positives far outnumber the negatives.
Old 26th July 2022, 11:59   #4820
BANNED

I am really a fan of what Tata has done with its cars, but the only issue I have with the Tata Nexon is that it comes with an AMT gearbox, many of my friends have the Nexon and I like it too, its spacious, has enough space inside, has good looks, great ground clearance and most of what you want in a Compact SUV.

If I were in the market for a manual, the Nexon would be on the top of my list, followed by the Mahindra XUV300.

But having driven automatic cars ever since I learnt to drive, I simply can't take the plunge and adjust to a manual.
Old 26th July 2022, 19:29   #4821
BHPian

I just got a call from Tata SVC saying my car is eligible for a Software Update which takes about 30 Minutes. Mine is August 2021 XMA (S) Petrol. Any idea what it might be?

I have taken appointment for tomorrow

Last edited by dsuman : 26th July 2022 at 19:30. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th July 2022, 15:52   #4822
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello Every one,
I am a newbie here and this is my first post so please excuse for any mistakes in writing and a long post.

Recently my wife's Activa started giving trouble and since it is showing its age now (14 years almost), we have decided to buy a new car for her daily commute to the office.

As soon as the thought of purchasing a new car comes to mind and discussions started in the family, testosterone spiked in a boring life post-Covid. With a lot of excitement, I have started research on which car; of course on TBHP (where else).

The requirement was clear….
=> should be automatic - wife will use it and she will be the first-time driver
=> small hatch - easy to commute for the new driver
=> petrol - less than 20 km daily driving
=> Safety - at least 4-star rating
=> Budget - 8-10 Lac approx.

Shortlisted cars

=> Tiago AMT
=> Santro
=> Punch AMT

Santro was rejected by wife for the looks,rear seat and I feel it is not worth the money they asked for. So we visited the Tata showroom (Garve Motors, Tathwade, opp. to Mumbai-Bangalore highway) to test drive Tiago and Punch. We visited them on Sunday and ohh boy, there was so much rush. For the moment I thought I came here to watch Maverick and standing in a queue to buy a ticket.
One lady approached us and ask for the details (typical formalities) and then she assigned one salesman to us. The salesman looks eager and started explaining all the details of Tiago which I was already aware of.

Suddenly my wife said, "Which is that car"(looking at a #Dark Altroz)
Me - That's Altroz
Wife - I want that car (with excitement)
Me - that is at least 3 lakhs more compared to Tiago
Wife - I will pay for it, and I want the same color.

The decision was taken. Who will not fall in love with Altroz dark; I am more than happy since it is a DCA and not AMT.

Booked Altroz top-end DCA dark edition. On road Rs. 11.58 lacs. Paid 21k booking amount and we left.

Then the twist comes. On the next weekend, we took our kids (12 and 5 yrs) and my father to see the car. On reaching the showroom, my father and kids were checking Nexon by the time me and wife were busy with a salesman. Now kids want the sunroof and father is impressed with the space, comfort, and high seating position.

After a lot of discussion at home (read arguments), we decided to go ahead with Nexon XMAS which is 11.65 OTR Pune, more or less the same as Altroz top end.
While I am happy to have Nexon compared to Altroz, DCA to AMT is a little disappointing for me. But since my wife is going to use it most of the time, I decided to let it go.
On checking the feature list of XMAS, a few of the important features were missing like cruise control, leather-wrapped gear knob and steering wheel, and TPMS.. So I decided to go for the XZA+ HS variant and that adds approx 3 odd Lacs more, which is fine since we are going to keep the car for a longer duration (more than 7-8 years) so worth it.

Finally called the SA and told him to change the booking from Altroz to Nexon which he did without any fuzz. I negotiated with him on the insurance amount (they quoted Rs.66863) and they reduced it by 25 K and an additional 7k corporate discount. No other discount. waiting period - 4 months.

So this is how I went about booking Tiago and ended up with Nexon.

Few questions to Nexon AMT Petrol owners.

=> How different Nexon AMT is from Tiago AMT. I test drove Tiago AMT and feel the lag in gear shift and little head nod too (Typical AMT nature). Your on-road experience, please.
=> I read somewhere that AMT's will adjust our driving style over a period of time. How relevant it is.
=> Will Nexon AMT climb hills (e.g. Matheran Ghat near Mumbai) in A mode and how easy it will perform in this kind of terrain with a full load. I am very concerned about it since we normally plan for trips.
=> How effective hill hold is
=> Is Nexon come with adaptive cruise control or a simple one.
=> What accessories do you guys suggest in Nexon XZA+ HS
=> Any other suggestions
=> Is it worth waiting for Nexon DCA? some rumors are around. Does anyone have sound information on when it will launch?

Best Regards

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2022 at 17:35. Reason: pl = please. No short froms / acronyms or SMS language please. Thanks.
satish.gawai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 18:31   #4823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
Now kids want the sunroof and father is impressed with the space, comfort, and high seating position.
Welcome to TBHP & congratulations in advance on your new car. I hope the decision to switch to the Nexon involved sufficiently long duration test drive? Because IMO (and many will agree) - the cabin space, layout & ride comfort is significantly better in the Altroz compared to the Nexon. (Don't get me wrong, the Nexon is of course a wonderful general purpose car.)
Quote:
How different Nexon AMT is from Tiago AMT. I test drove Tiago AMT and feel the lag in gear shift and little head nod too (Typical AMT nature). Your on-road experience, please.
Its just another AMT at the end of the day. There are not too many differences. Drive harder and there will be head-nod. Time your throttle inputs properly and it will be as smooth as you can wish for.
Quote:
I read somewhere that AMT's will adjust our driving style over a period of time. How relevant it is.
Well - before it learns anything - the driver easily adjusts to how the AMT is responding to throttle inputs. Without even noticing, our driving style adapts in most cases to work in harmony with the AMT. So end result is good enough either way.
Quote:
=> Will Nexon AMT climb hills (e.g. Matheran Ghat near Mumbai) in A mode and how easy it will perform in this kind of terrain with a full load. I am very concerned about it since we normally plan for trips.
Absolutely no issues. People go on vacations in the Himalayas with the Nexon petrol AMT, no sweat. It has ample power to pull you through as long as there is a paved road.
Quote:
How effective hill hold is
Very. Does its job well.
Quote:
Is Nexon come with adaptive cruise control or a simple one.
You shouldn't even wish for such features in this segment.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th July 2022 at 18:34.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:29   #4824
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to TBHP & congratulations in advance on your new car. I hope the decision to switch to the Nexon involved sufficiently long duration test drive? Because IMO (and many will agree) - the cabin space, layout & ride comfort is significantly better in the Altroz compared to the Nexon. (Don't get me wrong, the Nexon is of course a wonderful general purpose car.)
Thanks, Reinhard. Agree on Altroz being better than Nexon in space and ride comfort but the high seating position in Nexon and that SUV stance make it more worth it. Plus my dad sold to Nexon when it was first launched way back in 2017 and somehow he is very comfortable in the back seat. I thought the AMT+turbo engine is better than DCA+NA one (I read many negative reviews here on Altroz DCA. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Its just another AMT at the end of the day. There are not too many differences. Drive harder and there will be head-nod. Time your throttle inputs properly and it will be as smooth as you can wish for.
So need to control our emotions while driving now.

Quote:
Well - before it learns anything - the driver easily adjusts to how the AMT is responding to throttle inputs. Without even noticing, our driving style adapts in most cases to work in harmony with the AMT. So end result is good enough either way.
Since the wife is going to use it most of the time, she will easily become familiar with it. I am happy with my 2011 beat LT LPG manual as a daily driver. Very cheap to operate compared to petrol.

Quote:
Absolutely no issues. People go on vacations in the Himalayas with the Nexon petrol AMT, no sweat. It has ample power to pull you through as long as there is a paved road.

Very. Does its job well.
that is exciting. I am planning an approx. 1200 km trip in December and will explore AMT further.

Quote:
You shouldn't even wish for such features in this segment.
Out of excitement, I am expecting too much.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:03   #4825
BHPian

Planning to get a TPMS for Nexon XZ+. Can the manufacturer TPMS system be fitted into it by Dealership ? I know that fitting sensor is easy but where to transmit the data is the question. Will it transmit the data to the Harman console or the MID ? Or that's just not going to work as it requires additional hardware ?

In case above is not going to work, then I was thinking to go with external TPMS like 70Mai. It seems to be in budget for an external TPMS and also comes with external display unit.
Anyone here has used 70mai tpms ? or any alternative recommendation ? I have read about SenseAiry however I am very reluctant on getting the tires taken apart and then rebalancing, etc. stuff.
Old 28th July 2022, 21:17   #4826

Quote:
Anyone here has used 70mai tpms ? or any alternative recommendation ? I have read about SenseAiry however I am very reluctant on getting the tires taken apart and then rebalancing, etc. stuff.
I have the Sensairy internal TPMS installed a couple of years ago and they work flawlessly. Five internal sensors cost me INR 6500/- and the iOS/Android based app is quite slick.

Installation is quite simple and any tire shop with the tyre removal machine will be able to do it. You need not worry so much about the installation.
insas1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:12   #4827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to get a TPMS for Nexon XZ+. Can the manufacturer TPMS system be fitted into it by Dealership ? I know that fitting sensor is easy but where to transmit the data is the question. Will it transmit the data to the Harman console or the MID ? Or that's just not going to work as it requires additional hardware ?
MID - forget about it, not possible.
If you buy Sensairy TPMS (like me & many others here) - you can install a custom APK of their application (which is not on PlayStore) which allows integration with AndroidAuto. Then - you can see this app in the Android Auto screen on the Harman Head unit. (They share this APK free of cost on request.)

However this much hassle is not really needed. Get any TPMS that you get cheap (Sensairy is quite costly compared to Chinese counterparts and a lot of people opt for the cheaper ones). They come with solar power HUDs that you can simply place somewhere on the dashboard & thats it. If not - even Sensairy without integration with Android Auto is fine. The mobile alerts work well & you get alerts with sound when the upper and lower pressure threshold that you set, are breached. No need to regularly check the pressure as such, if you set the thresholds alright (can be set to your preferred PSI for each tyre).
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 14:07   #4828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have used both Android TPMS from JK Tyres and a Cheap Chinese TPMS with Solar powered Display which can be placed anywhere in the car. I prefer the cheap Chinese display as I donot have to open app (which is very inconvenient) every time when I need to check the tyre pressure. The Chinese display is very convenient, and has auto switch ON function which senses the vibration and switches itself ON every time you enter the car and goes into sleep mode once you switch off the car (by sensing vibrations). It has worked flawlessly till now. Imagine you are driving your car and suddenly you remember not checking tyre pressure that day, with Android based TPMS you need to open app and then check the tyre pressure where as with cheap Chinese unit you just have to glance at its display and that's all.

Last edited by mercedised : 29th July 2022 at 14:09.
Old 30th July 2022, 00:53   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
If rear parking camera is the only reason for XZ - I recommend to better go for XMA. Yes, installing a camera with view inside the IRVM is a very easy job and really any good accessories store will also do this installation. Not necessary to get it done from the dealership. Check with reputed stores near your place and get quote. If its cheaper than 7k (certainly will be), better get it done from them
I too am thinking the same thing about the XMA. But I am guessing these cameras will not have those guidelines right, that turn as you rotate the steering wheel?
Even if I go with the Android touchscreen system with camera, will that setup have those adaptive guidelines as mentioned above?
Old 30th July 2022, 05:01   #4830
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzt View Post
I too am thinking the same thing about the XMA. But I am guessing these cameras will not have those guidelines right, that turn as you rotate the steering wheel?
Even if I go with the Android touchscreen system with camera, will that setup have those adaptive guidelines as mentioned above?
Considering that you are looking for an automatic car in the price range of the Nexon XMA, you could most certainly check out the Nissan Magnite XV Executive Turbo CVT Variant. Its much more feature loaded and frugal than the Nexon and has a CVT as against the AMT in the Nexon. Although not as spacious at the back as the Nexon, it is quite comfortable. The Boot space and Ground clearance are similar too.

You get alloy wheels, Automatic Climate Control, 8-inch touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Reverse Camera with Guidelines, Rear Armrest with Cupholders, 60-40 split seats, Rear defogger and rear wiper, 6 speakers, steering mounted controls and the sheer convenience of Nissan's CVT over jerky AMTs in the Magnite over the Nexon.

All this and you save Rs. 50,000 with the Magnite over the Nexon, although Nissan's after sales and future in India is debatable, I feel they have a great product here with the Magnite with all active safety features and a good NCAP score.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks