Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 16:01   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

This is a small write-up after I completed the first 600 KMs on my new acquisition - Octavia Style AT

Exteriors:
1. The new Octavia MK4/A8 has grown in size and I feel the width even after I was used to driving Jetta MK6. The new design language is not as aggressive as Octavia MK3 but it certainly has an elegance to it

2. The way the notchback design is integrated, you instantly fall in love with the execution. I especially like the rear look of the car and those LED taillights look awesome at night. Skoda has always executed the taillights like no other.

3. My car gets LED headlights in reflectors while the L&K gets auto leveling LED projector lamps. This is the only negative in my book when it comes to Style Vs L&K. I wish they had kept the LED projectors on Style as well.

4. The keyless entry-exit works like charm. All you have to do is, have keys on you and just grab the handle (Any one of the 4) and the car unlocks. To lock the car, all you have to do is swipe on the sensor installed on the handles. Flawless.

5. I can see some part of the bonnet and it adds to the sporty feel of the driving experience. It also helps you navigate the car through tight spots

6. Overall, the dimensions are just perfect for a sedan. Not too long as Superb and not too narrow as Slavia. The size is easy to maneuver in city and stable on highways

Interiors:
1. Love the interiors and the overall upmarket feel of the cabin. This was one of the factors I fell for this car since the time I took the TD. The cabin just cocoons you and every touch point is finished well. Loved the Suede finish on the dashboard even though its gonna be a pain to maintain in long run

2. The switches have a good quality feel to it. They are tactile as well as have a soft operational feel to it

3. The usual rotary dial to adjust lights is replaced by 3 simple buttons - Auto HL, front fog lights and rear fog lights. You need to press the Auto HL switch to toggle between Auto HL, low beam, DRL only and Off. When its kept on Auto and you lock or unlock the car, the rear lights do a nice animation

4. The steering wheel gets a new 2 spoke design. I personally find VW steering wheel designs much elegant than this

5. Driver side seat gets good range of electric adjustments and 3 memory functions. The passenger side is all manual in Style.

6. The rear bench is wide and can accommodate 2 adults and 1 kid with ease. The under-thigh support is good and nobody would complain even on long journeys

8. I find the driver seat very comfortable and thanks to the material used, ventilation on the seat is not something I miss. Of course it would have been nice to have one but I am not complaining. In my Jetta, I used to sweat a lot as it was all art-leather but this thing keeps me all comfortable.

9. There is no 12v/Cigarette lighter slot in the car. Now I am in search of an adapter which can help me retain my current dashcam

Infotainment-MID
1. The graphics on the infotainment screen are crisp and there are no issues with illumination even in broad daylight. The virtual cockpit has 2 themes and displays a lot of information on screen. There is no integration of GMaps (through AA) into the virtual cockpit though. It shows all the relevant info like DTE, Avg FE, inst FE, Navigation instructions from Android Auto, Radio/Media info etc

2. Style gets a basic 8 speaker system which to me is enough. The L&K gets the Canton system and the difference between two is easily felt

3. Android auto integration is nice and the only issue I have faced is, it goes blank once in 15-20 mins for a second or two.

4. Octavia in India has this system called 'Swing' while it gets other 2 systems internationally - Columbus and Bolero

Drive
1. As the car is still running in, I have not gone passed 2.5K RPM yet but the demo car which I drove had insane pull when driven hard

2. The DQ381 on this car at times struggles to be in right gear when you are doing 10-20 kmph in traffic. It has no issues when driven on highways

3. The gear changes as expected are pretty quick and its a pleasure to drive her on open highways. The paddle shifters add the required drama to the equation and you find nirvana pacing her up on open roads. The 2L TSI is pure magic and the DSG just makes it a unique proposition in the market

4. The fly in the ointment however is the steering feedback. After Punto, I felt Jetta had bad steering feedback, on Octavia, the story continues. I feel there is less weight to the steering and it spoils the otherwise sorted driving experience to an extent

5. The ride and handling is better than average but a nice suspension tweak would make this a fun machine. It feels overtly cushioning and you lose a tiny bit of confidence while you try to take the corner a bit aggressively

6. In the end, its a nice family sedan and will keep you and your family happy and SAFE. Should you feel to go on an adventure, upgrade the suspension and tyres

7. As of now I get 12-13 KMPL on my office commutes (24 KM to n fro - 70% highway) but on open highways it goes up till 16-18. In city with bumper to bumper, you should feel happy to get 8-9 KMPL. I dont think the 2.0 TSI gets the active cylinder tech like 1.5 TSI otherwise this would return some decent figures in mixed driving

Shall update once I clock more miles, until then, happy motoring!!!
neoonwheels is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 19:24   #812
rsk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Great to hear
With regard to xp95, is this really mandatory, even if it's not mandatory if I understand right, the already low mileage goes even further down with normal Petrol, is that what you are saying..
That's a bit worrying both from availability pov, and also the cost
More than the numbers, it was how the car behaved/drove. I definitely sensed a sluggishness on the highway. I felt that I had to push the pedal more than I normally do. This returned to normalcy, with the next fueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvan1988 View Post
Please check out my post which I made some days ago.
Thanks, haven't gotten to the car yet since I posted this. Will confirm back if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
This is a small write-up after I completed the first 600 KMs on my new acquisition - Octavia Style AT

9. There is no 12v/Cigarette lighter slot in the car. Now I am in search of an adapter which can help me retain my current dashcam
I thought there was one 12v slot in the boot. I found it many months after I got the car. However, still not useful for your needs.
rsk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 21:50   #813
BHPian

Great to see everyone enjoying their Octavia's. We've been loving ours too and just crossed the 2,000 km mark. Did the run in for the first 1500 km but even after that, you rarely need to take it above 3k rmp. There is so much power and torque lower down. It is however fun to rev her out sometimes.

I just feel quite isolated from the engine though. I think a free flow exhaust will transform the car. Anyone here planning on getting one?

My assumption is that it will void the warranty, which is a shame. Otherwise it was a no brainer for me!
Old 16th June 2022, 18:48   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
[*]After one refuelling at a petrol pump near Bidadi, I noticed a significant drop in the performance. [/list]
Request you to share the fuel pump details, for future reference/avoidance.
Old 16th June 2022, 22:04   #815
Senior - BHPian

Took some time out on a lazy Sunday morning and had been to a nearby place - Wai. The drive was pretty smooth and did not scrape anything even on some not so good roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220612_132317.jpg  

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220612_142743.jpg  

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220612_143045.jpg  

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220612_144133.jpg  

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220612_144223.jpg  

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220612_172045.jpg  

neoonwheels is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 01:37   #816

Quote:
The exterior mirrors tilt down when you put the car in Reverse gear. This worked initially and after that, I don’t see it working. The settings seem to be enabled in the console. Fellow owners, any insights into this?
The mirror adjustment knob should be on kept on L (Left). This should solve your issue.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2022 at 01:54. Reason: Fixed the quote.
KT_52100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 06:00   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Took some time out on a lazy Sunday morning and had been to a nearby place - Wai. The drive was pretty smooth and did not scrape anything even on some not so good roads.
Looks awesome Neo, white looks charming in the scenic background
Did you change your tyres or are they stock
mah45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 08:22   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Looks awesome Neo, white looks charming in the scenic background
Did you change your tyres or are they stock
I have not changed the tyres. Everything is stock as of now
Old 17th June 2022, 09:08   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, such a nice car and colour suits perfectly. You can’t find better buy than this < 50 lakhs.

I like the Style alloys better than L&K, other than the style alloys width of 6.5j
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 14:06   #820
BHPian

Quote:
I have lost a few of those lug nut covers not sure why. The covers appear to be tight where they are still in place and yet I seem to have lost a few
Happened on my Superb too. I just bought a set from Amazon and it's working great so far!

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Wheel-...Skoda%3ASuperb

Quote:
The exterior mirrors tilt down when you put the car in Reverse gear. This worked initially and after that, I don’t see it working. The settings seem to be enabled in the console. Fellow owners, any insights into this?
The knob which selects the side mirror (left or right) should be set to the passenger side mirror, and then the Auto Dip will work

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th June 2022 at 16:03. Reason: Fixing quote tags.
rphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 09:14   #821
rsk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphukan View Post
Happened on my Superb too. I just bought a set from Amazon and it's working great so far!

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Wheel-...Skoda%3ASuperb
Thanks for the share, ordered it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvan1988 View Post
Please check out my post which I made some days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphukan View Post
The knob which selects the side mirror (left or right) should be set to the passenger side mirror, and then the Auto Dip will work
Thanks both, followed suvan1988's post and it worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth.vemuri View Post
Request you to share the fuel pump details, for future reference/avoidance.
https://goo.gl/maps/hfvfji5m7MgYW8r3A
rsk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 06:29   #822

Discovered another simply clever feature of Octavia. Had to get a small plant and these supporters did a great job

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20220611_163539.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 19th June 2022 at 11:17. Reason: Typo.
sandeepsaran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 09:29   #823

Hi there, I’m new to Team BHP, joined it after seeing how knowledgeable and enthusiastic the forum is, as a petrolhead that is something rare but exciting to find

After much dilemma over which car to buy, I settled on the Skoda Octavia, and honestly now I feel there wasn’t any other car that would have satisfied me in the same way and it was ‘meant to be’ ( I reckon most of us feel this way once we make up our overly knowledgeable minds to settle on one car)

So I booked the Skoda Octavia L&K in mid May , and the dealer said he would arrange for the car by end May. However now they keep pushing the date further and further and now they are promising end June as a delivery date, which I feel would again be pushed further. I did have a look on the forum and people are facing this problem in other parts of India as well so maybe it’s not my dealers fault here that they’re not able to procure the car.
However between the booking date and the ‘postulated’ delivery date, the Octavia has seen a price hike of about 60k rupees. Now I want to ask you all if I would be charged with the new price or would the dealer exempt me of the price hike ? I’m getting this car with absolutely no discount whatsoever, even kit is not complementary (trust me we’ve haggled quite a bit and got so exhausted with the stubbornness that we just accepted our defeat) so I feel maybe Skoda should not hike the price on my car since I booked it before the announcement of price hike ? Is that possible ?
Thanks a lot !
Old 19th June 2022, 13:28   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhgoyal View Post
Now I want to ask you all if I would be charged with the new price or would the dealer exempt me of the price hike ?

so I feel maybe Skoda should not hike the price on my car since I booked it before the announcement of price hike ? Is that possible ?
Thanks a lot !
The price to be paid is always the price at the time of delivery. This holds true for all car brands, i believe. The only exception is if you have a prior agreement on price protection or getting access to old stock allotted at older prices.

And regarding the waiting period, I’m currently on the same boat as you. Served 1 month so far of the estimated 3 months waiting. Octavia L&K.

You should be able to get a good discount on the insurance. Get quotes from outside and they’ll most likely price match.
Other options are loyalty discount / corporate discount and discounts for AMEX users.
T0TALITY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 17:55   #825
BHPian

Omg, didn't realise that Octavia prices have been increased until you mentioned Sidh
I really don't understand the logic when the Sales numbers are so low for Octavia
Booked on Apr 30, and waiting, not sure if old rates will be honoured or not
And yes, waiting period is a strict 3 months, I tried writing to Skoda customer care as well, but they don't even reply, instead they wrote to the dealer saying customers need to be clearly told about 3 months waiting time
The tone was almost like discouraging us from reaching out to Skoda directly
Found that attitude to be a bit disheartening tbh
All I wanted to know was to get a clear ETA for the allotment, and whether it will atleast be delivered within 3 months or not
Already Octavia was a very stretched budget for me, with further price hike it makes me to seriously think

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks