Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 12:04   #1471
d.j
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

hi guys, can we see the gear car is running in on the display unit? as we see in other VW/SKODA cars, i mean D1, D6 or so, should have been pretty straight forward but can find it, anyone?, Thanks for the help!

Regards/DJ
Old 17th April 2023, 13:59   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j View Post
hi guys, can we see the gear car is running in on the display unit? as we see in other VW/SKODA cars, i mean D1, D6 or so, should have been pretty straight forward but can find it, anyone?, Thanks for the help!

Regards/DJ
Its available only in S and M mode. For D, you dont get to see which gear the car is in. Not sure if the new cars have that as I see they have a new layout for driver console than the one I have (MY22)
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 00:51   #1473
BHPian

Hey Guys!

Will be driving on Yamuna Expressway in about a couple of weeks time. Have heard that the stock tyres on the Octy (Goodyear Assurance) are notoriously none for sidewall cracks and tyre bursts. Any advice for PSI values and what speeds to maintain in the blazing heat on this concrete patch?

Had driven my already sold Venue many a times on the same highway numerous times with 29-30 PSI but they had the more reliable MRF Wanderers on them.

Any other tips would also be appreciated.

TIA!
TSI_Exhaust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 01:26   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_Exhaust View Post
Hey Guys!

Will be driving on Yamuna Expressway in about a couple of weeks time. Have heard that the stock tyres on the Octy (Goodyear Assurance) are notoriously none for sidewall cracks and tyre bursts. Any advice for PSI values and what speeds to maintain in the blazing heat on this concrete patch?

Had driven my already sold Venue many a times on the same highway numerous times with 29-30 PSI but they had the more reliable MRF Wanderers on them.

Any other tips would also be appreciated.

TIA!
Maintain exactly the PSI values that the manufacturer mentions in the user manual or the doors.

Different cars have different values according to load and passengers. Ensure that you fill the exact values mentioned as per your use case.

DO NOT in any case fill lesser than recommended. That is a sure shot way to invite a tyre burst.

These values are cold tyre pressures, so best is that you fill the tyres just before leaving if you have a machine at home. Else, drive to the nearest pump, no more than 3-5 kms away to get the air refilled.

I personally get the air right just before leaving for a long drive using the machine I have at home or by visiting the nearest petrol pump, which is 500m away from my home.

As far as speeds are concerned, maintain the speed limit of 100 km/h and avoid unnecessary acceleration sprints, hard braking, hard launches, hard cornering etc. to ensure that tyres don't get over heated through all this. Try to drive as smoothly as possible.

If you take any breaks in between the journey, DO NOT get air refilled or reduced at any place mid-journey. That is again a sure-shot invitation to a tyre burst. If you take any breaks, just leave the tyres as it is. No need to cool them down by watering them or any such thing.

And most importantly, take it easy . The tyres, the car companies have all tested these things out. We just need to ensure that the tyres are in good condition and have the correct pressures. Rest is all taken care by the engineering
anshuman1117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 01:58   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman1117 View Post
Maintain exactly the PSI values that the manufacturer mentions in the user manual or the doors.

Different cars have different values according to load and passengers. Ensure that you fill the exact values mentioned as per your use case.

DO NOT in any case fill lesser than recommended. That is a sure shot way to invite a tyre burst.

These values are cold tyre pressures, so best is that you fill the tyres just before leaving if you have a machine at home. Else, drive to the nearest pump, no more than 3-5 kms away to get the air refilled.
But am I not inviting a tyre burst situation by filling the tyres with the recommended PSI values (which give the Octy an already stiff ride) and the air expanding due to the heat taken up by the hot concrete?
Old 18th April 2023, 12:22   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
But am I not inviting a tyre burst situation by filling the tyres with the recommended PSI values (which give the Octy an already stiff ride) and the air expanding due to the heat taken up by the hot concrete?
Under-inflated tyres are more likely to overheat than correctly inflated tyres.
In fact, both over-inflation and under-inflation are detrimental.

Here is an article from Continental Middle East - https://ae.continental-me.com/en/blo...g-a-tyre-burst

Similarly, I have seen the same sentiment echoed across a lot of automotive forums and articles.
anshuman1117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:14   #1477
BHPian

I found a Octavia L&K Demo Car which is a year old, 8K driven.

We own a Polo GT TSI and a Honda city (selling it off soon). We're looking to replace the City with a car that has 5 star rated safety and ideally something that feels same or better than a Polo GT.

My budget is 30-35L and this Demo Octavia L&K is quoted at 31L and fits nicely under my budget. The car is not registered, comes with 4 year warranty and they are willing to give me a discount on the 2 year extended warranty + 4 year service package.

Test drove the car for ~15 kms and no rattles, abnormal steering / brakes were observed.

Dealer agrees for a third party inspection.

To me, no other car that I drove under my budget feels like the Octavia. Meeting our build quality requirements, the only other car that we considered was a new jeep compass that will likely cost the same as this demo car.

Heart says Octavia, mind says new Jeep.

What should I do?
Old 18th April 2023, 22:22   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
I found a Octavia L&K Demo Car which is a year old, 8K driven.

We own a Polo GT TSI and a Honda city (selling it off soon). We're looking to replace the City with a car that has 5 star rated safety and ideally something that feels same or better than a Polo GT.

My budget is 30-35L and this Demo Octavia L&K is quoted at 31L and fits nicely under my budget. The car is not registered, comes with 4 year warranty and they are willing to give me a discount on the 2 year extended warranty + 4 year service package.
31L is on the higher for a car that has been discontinued and is a year old. Moreover, it's a demo car. People tend to abuse demo cars. You might not be hearing rattles but god only knows what that DSG gearbox has went through.

If you REALLY WANT TO own a VAG car, then try to negotiate and get a better deal.

Otherwise, my advice would be to not go for a demo car.

A brand new JEEP makes more sense to the head.

Last edited by TSI_Exhaust : 18th April 2023 at 22:24. Reason: Correct CAPS use
TSI_Exhaust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 10:22   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys!

Will be driving on Yamuna Expressway in about a couple of weeks time. Have heard that the stock tyres on the Octy (Goodyear Assurance) are notoriously none for sidewall cracks and tyre bursts...

TIA!
I recently travelled to Solan via EPE and then GT road on 7th April and it was pretty hot. I kept the tyre pressure as recommended by Skoda and had no trouble as EPE is all concrete and pretty uneven too.

I still have stock Goodyear tyres and faced no alarming situation during my journey. Even when I came back from Solan to Noida, it was 40c and Octavia AC was working double shift but all cool as far as tyres are concerned.
Travelfarbeyond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:46   #1480

A quick query on Extended Warranty and Service Value Package.

I bought a Skoda Octavia Style in Oct-2022. Love the beaut to bits.

At the time of purchase I didnt take the extended warranty or SVP, since I wasn;t sure of the value. Now I've gotten a reminder call for both, priced as follows:
- Extended warranty 80,999 (year 5 and 6)
- 4 years SVP Rs. 53999

The doubt in my mind is this: If a vehicle is working fine for 4 years, does it have a risk in year 5 and 6? In other words, is this an unnecessary expense?

SVP: Our annual running is quite low - under 6K kms. Should we take our chances and pay the normal service fees instead of a (high) upfront fee?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 20th April 2023, 13:14   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryRules View Post

The doubt in my mind is this: If a vehicle is working fine for 4 years, does it have a risk in year 5 and 6? In other words, is this an unnecessary expense?

SVP: Our annual running is quite low - under 6K kms. Should we take our chances and pay the normal service fees instead of a (high) upfront fee?
Extended warranty makes sense only if you plan to retain the car for up to 7-8 years. So that will be up to you to decide. With the German genetics of the Octavia, every last bit of warranty helps as even 1-2 minor failures will more than make up for it. For example a DSG clutch replacement costs nearly 2 lakh. Water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, etc items are prone to sudden failure in Skoda VW cars. Each item costs between 15-40K.

SVP doesn't make sense as a regular service will cost you less compared to making the upfront payment. You'll earn about 15-20K in 4 years on 54K (1200 SIP per month) which will anyways set off one service cost. This is very rough math but you get the point I hope. SVP never made sense to me for high end cars. For comparison SVP for Kushaq / Slavia is worth 26K which is completely worth it! For Octavia / Superb / Kodiaq, not so much.

SVP used to make sense earlier, because it included the DSG service which was to be completed at the 4th service or 60K kms. The DSG service is no longer included in SVP as they have increased this interval to 120K Kms. DSG service costs approximately 35K.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:21   #1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Extended warranty makes sense only if you plan to retain the car for up to 7-8 years. So that will be up to you to decide. With the German genetics of the Octavia, every last bit of warranty helps as even 1-2 minor failures will more than make up for it. For example a DSG clutch replacement costs nearly 2 lakh. Water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, etc items are prone to sudden failure in Skoda VW cars. Each item costs between 15-40K.

SVP doesn't make sense as a regular service will cost you less compared to making the upfront payment. You'll earn about 15-20K in 4 years on 54K (1200 SIP per month) which will anyways set off one service cost. This is very rough math but you get the point I hope. SVP never made sense to me for high end cars. For comparison SVP for Kushaq / Slavia is worth 26K which is completely worth it! For Octavia / Superb / Kodiaq, not so much.

SVP used to make sense earlier, because it included the DSG service which was to be completed at the 4th service or 60K kms. The DSG service is no longer included in SVP as they have increased this interval to 120K Kms. DSG service costs approximately 35K.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply Adi. This really helps, especially for the SVP!
Old 21st April 2023, 08:57   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Its available only in S and M mode. For D, you dont get to see which gear the car is in. Not sure if the new cars have that as I see they have a new layout for driver console than the one I have (MY22)
Ok, so the new digital cockpit layout was a MY 23 update? I tried every possible stalk combo to activate that view on my 22 octy wonder if it’s just a software update away for older cars.
Old 21st April 2023, 10:59   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
so the new digital cockpit layout was a MY 23 update?
Nope. All Octavia irrespective of the MY doesn't show up the current gear on D mode. I have MY22 (November Manufactured and assembled in February) and it doesn't show the gear on D mode. Also, the TD car i drove was from 2021 i believe and it did not show either.

Even the other cars with current gen 2.0 TSI engine (Kodiaq, Superb) have the same I guess.
vagster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 11:27   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagster View Post
Nope. All Octavia irrespective of the MY doesn't show up the current gear on D mode. I have MY22 (November Manufactured and assembled in February) and it doesn't show the gear on D mode. Also, the TD car i drove was from 2021 i believe and it did not show either.

Even the other cars with current gen 2.0 TSI engine (Kodiaq, Superb) have the same I guess.
Right you are about not being able to see the gear in D. I was referring to the section in the virtual cockpit where you today see the digital speedo reading. In the MY23 cars, you get to see fuel consumption, average speed etc in that space. There is an image of that view on this thread somewhere

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks