Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 09:56   #8926
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Dear BHPians, a new day, a new issue with my XUV700 Can anyone else confirm if they've also faced the same and whether the issue has been resolved?

Issue:
  • Grinding sound from wheels while driving - However it goes away and comes back some days. It seems like the car is not fully releasing the brake. Maybe an issue with the Parking Brake or Software glitch? After a full restart, i.e. keeping car off whole night and then driving next day, the issue goes away. I'm at a loss as to what the issue might be.
Go step wise. First get the caliper pins greased properly. And check for rust on the discs. If the problem persists it may be the caliper pistons sticking.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 10:57   #8927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Go step wise. First get the caliper pins greased properly. And check for rust on the discs. If the problem persists it may be the caliper pistons sticking.
Thank you Sridhar. The problem has emerged again today while on my way to work. However, when I crossed a speedbump at speed, the sound vanished. After that, I tried going over a speedbump again at speed and this time the sound reappeared. I tried this again and after the sound vanished, I drove as slowly as I could over any pothole, speedbreak, unpaved road, etc. The sound hasn't come back yet. I'll visit the nearby FNG to get the caliper pins greased first. I read that Silicone Paste needs to be applied to ensure lubrication is proper. I have no idea where to get that in our rural area.

Is it okay to lubricate it with WD40 or just grease?

Edit: Just checked on Amazon for Silicone Paste. It's around Rupees 4895 for 8 oz. Can members suggest alternatives for greasing caliper pins?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20230829_111202_amazon.jpg  

Last edited by wadewilson : 29th August 2023 at 11:14.
Old 29th August 2023, 11:30   #8928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Thank you Sridhar. The problem has emerged again today while on my way to work. However, when I crossed a speedbump at speed, the sound vanished. After that, I tried going over a speedbump again at speed and this time the sound reappeared. I tried this again and after the sound vanished, I drove as slowly as I could over any pothole, speedbreak, unpaved road, etc. The sound hasn't come back yet. I'll visit the nearby FNG to get the caliper pins greased first. I read that Silicone Paste needs to be applied to ensure lubrication is proper. I have no idea where to get that in our rural area.

Is it okay to lubricate it with WD40 or just grease?

Edit: Just checked on Amazon for Silicone Paste. It's around Rupees 4895 for 8 oz. Can members suggest alternatives for greasing caliper pins?
Do not get this large can. Any good spare parts shop in your area will have small pouches of caliper pin grease. 1 pouch for 1 pin. Maruti service centres definitely carry this, so your local FNG will be able to source it. WD40 may not be the best as it can chew up the rubber boots of the caliper pin. Just a small squirt in an emergency perhaps.

More likely it is a case of some improper tightening of the brake caliper assly mounts that is allowing the caliper assly to move more than desirable. Are you driving on roads with a lot of loose stones/gravel? Because your speed bump noise issue could be because of small stones getting stuck between the caliper and disc. Though that normally gives a continuous grinding or screeching sound.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 29th August 2023 at 11:32. Reason: spelling corrected
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 12:18   #8929

Hey Guys!

I left my car at the service center yesterday (to get the recall problem fixed + some update was also pending). When I reached out to my SA about picking up the car today, he mentioned something has gone wrong with the update and it's crashed. They've raised something called a TOR (or something that sounds like it) to the head office and once they hear back, they'll get to work on the car. It'll take about 2 weeks. Has anyone faced a similar issue?
Old 29th August 2023, 12:19   #8930
BHPian

Quote:
Do not get this large can. Any good spare parts shop in your area will have small pouches of caliper pin grease. 1 pouch for 1 pin...
Thank you so much. I'll try and source the caliper pin grease from the parts shop in town. Otherwise, as little brother is in the city, I can ask him to source some from the Maruti Service centre.

Quote:
More likely it is a case of some improper tightening of the brake caliper assly mounts that is allowing the caliper assly to move more than desirable. Are you driving on roads with a lot of loose stones/gravel? Because your speed bump noise issue could be because of small stones getting stuck between the caliper and disc. Though that normally gives a continuous grinding or screeching sound.
I had to quote this in full because this exactly describes the situation. I am driving in the non-existant roads of rural North East India. I'll try and upload a picture of the road to my house today after returning back from work. The road is full of loose stones, potholes filled with water and the works. When the sound last happened, I pressure washed the tyre section, especially laying attention to the disc brake area. After the wash, the sound was gone.

With regards to the sound, it's a continuous grinding sound. I had hoped the sound would remain gone after last post but the sound has reappeared and the grinding sound is continuous now. I'll try and pressure wash again after reaching back home. Fingers crossed. Thank you btw for all the help. I appreciate it a lot
Old 29th August 2023, 16:11   #8931

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Well, my vehicle is still in the Service Station and since 31/08/2023. They said they checked the vehicle as per Team Mahindra's instructions and found leakage from a body panel on the RHS
Thanks for confirming the issue. I have been told by SA that it might be due to AC coil condensation. Yesterday I checked out carpet after removing the 7D mats , the whole carpet from driver side to 2nd row passenger side was soaking wet. Even under the driver seat water was like a puddle. I haven't got any warning or anything on the MID yet. Also, I have been assured by SA that the carpet will be taken out and further root cause will be analysed. But I am not too optimistic about their efforts , as my car has been in service center since last 2 weeks for updates, recall & battery replacement. They even forgot that my car was there for some time.
Anyways, I hope your issue gets resolved as well , so that others can do some preventive actions like me before the electronics are all messed up.
Old 29th August 2023, 21:53   #8932
BHPian

Reached home today and pressure washed the car. I think it's as per BHPian Sridhar said that:

Quote:
. . . likely it is a case of some improper tightening of the brake caliper assly mounts that is allowing the caliper assly to move more than desirable . . . noise issue could be because of small stones getting stuck between the caliper and disc.
After pressure washing each of the brake discs, very briefly, I then proceeded to drive it 10 kms on the national highway. Around 6 pm, I drove it to the gym and then did some shopping and then drove back home. Throughout all this, the grinding constant noise was absent. I was amazed. I think BHPian Sridhar's hypothesis holds true for my case. I need to visit the service centre and ask them to properly tighten the brake caliper assembly mounts.

Have uploaded a video of the road to my house as well. It stays like this 24x7 these days because of the incessant rains. . The small pebbles that make up the road are mixed up with the water and when driving over the water, I can feel the loose rocks and pebbles. There was a road here in 2015 but now this is all that remains.
Old 30th August 2023, 01:14   #8933

My first service is due in a few kilometers, hence, I wanted to understand a few things prior to that.

1. Is the Coolant outlet pipe replacement being done for all cars being taken up by the service centers or is it as per a schedule? Wouldn't want my vehicle to go to the service center multiple times over. I haven't received any notification for replacement and my vehicle is a Jun '23 manufactured one.

2. The side mirrors have stopped working, I am not sure if they ever worked. Apart from the knob on the driver's side are they controlled by some setting that might have been turned off? The auto fold and unfold on turning on the vehicle happens as usual.

3. I have been refueling the vehicle on Shell petrol pumps and have been using the premium Shell V power fuel. Aside from the cost what bothers me is the availability of the shell petrol bunks pan India, since I intend to take a longish tour in a couple of months from now. So I wanted to know from fellow BHPians what is the fuel of choice which is working well for them.

4. Apple car play hasn't been working on my vehicle from Day 1. I use a One Plus phone and that works seamlessly but not my wife's iPhone. I have heard quite a few horror stories across various threads. Is there a specific version of the software that works for both AA and car play that I can try and push the service center guys for when I visit them next?

5. I have not had the air pressure checked on my vehicle yet, The TPMS shows all tires at 32 PSI except for the passenger side on the front, that one's at 31 now. I am having trust issues with the system here and want to understand what are the optimum levels and what are the visible cues to look out for. I don't feel the vehicle being pulled in one direction nor do I observe any sluggishness in the drive quality.

6. How reliable is the Mappls app compared to the Google Maps that we are accustomed to? The phone gets trained like crazy hence the query. Is it being provided to all the cars in the next service or there is some caveat there?

7. I am in a major dilemma about spending extra cash on a good dashcam, given the spate of incidents happening across Bangalore or the dashcam on the car is sufficient? Would someone here have had the misfortune of discovering the utility or futility of the miniature-sized video recorded by the cameras on Xuv 700? I was told by my SA that I would have to get it done from the service center and they did not give me the provision to install the SD card when I purchased the vehicle so I have not had a chance to view the functionality. What is the video quality of the captured video like?
Old 30th August 2023, 11:02   #8934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaneeshvyas View Post

Quote:
I have been refueling the vehicle on Shell petrol pumps and have been using the premium Shell V power fuel. Aside from the cost what bothers me is the availability of the shell petrol bunks pan India, since I intend to take a longish tour in a couple of months from now. So I wanted to know from fellow BHPians what is the fuel of choice which is working well for them.
I have always used the regular fuel from IndianOil and HP, in that order of preference, in all my cars. Personally believe premium fuel is a luxury and does not actually do any realistic wonders to the functioning of the vehicle.

Quote:
Apple car play hasn't been working on my vehicle from Day 1. I use a One Plus phone and that works seamlessly but not my wife's iPhone. I have heard quite a few horror stories across various threads. Is there a specific version of the software that works for both AA and car play that I can try and push the service center guys for when I visit them next?
Even after the latest software update, Apple Carplay is a hit or miss. Randomly disconnects and sometimes refuses to connect at all even after multiple attempts. The only thing which works is restarting the car, which is not always possible; hence I’ve learned to live with it. Frankly, it’s a bloody travesty that Mahindra hasn’t yet found a fix to these software glitches even after the XUV 700 having completed over 1.5 years since launch. Vehicles manufactured by other auto companies have seamless Android Auto and Apple Carplay; so not sure what’s the hitch with Mahindra!

Quote:
I have not had the air pressure checked on my vehicle yet, The TPMS shows all tires at 32 PSI except for the passenger side on the front, that one's at 31 now. I am having trust issues with the system here and want to understand what are the optimum levels and what are the visible cues to look out for. I don't feel the vehicle being pulled in one direction nor do I observe any sluggishness in the drive quality.
Optimum tyre pressure should be 32 psi; 34 psi if car is loaded. The TPMS is glitchy and not always reliable; please find a local pump or mechanic with a well-calibrated filling machine to give you a proper reading. Also, I would advise you to go for Nitrogen filling; just added peace-of-mind and safety; while also keeps the tyres healthy.

Quote:
How reliable is the Mappls app compared to the Google Maps that we are accustomed to? The phone gets trained like crazy hence the query. Is it being provided to all the cars in the next service or there is some caveat there?
Been hearing a lot of niggles with the latest software update. Service Centres are saying it’s a mandatory update, but it’s not. You can specifically tell them not to do it. Personally would always stick to Google Maps. Haven’t used the current MapMyIndia navigation in the car even once till now in 1.5 years of driving this.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 11:46   #8935
BHPian

Quote:
My first service is due in a few kilometers, hence, I wanted to understand a few things prior to that.

6. How reliable is the Mappls app compared to the Google Maps that we are accustomed to? The phone gets trained like crazy hence the query. Is it being provided to all the cars in the next service or there is some caveat there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Been hearing a lot of niggles with the latest software update. Service Centres are saying it’s a mandatory update, but it’s not. You can specifically tell them not to do it. Personally would always stick to Google Maps. Haven’t used the current MapMyIndia navigation in the car even once till now in 1.5 years of driving this.
If you don't want to use Mappls, then you cans stick to G Maps even after the upgrade. But if you skip the upgrade and later face some software issue, the first question the service centre will ask is "Are you on the latest software?". Then you will have to go for the upgrade whether you want it or not.

Quote:
7. I am in a major dilemma about spending extra cash on a good dashcam, given the spate of incidents happening across Bangalore or the dashcam on the car is sufficient? Would someone here have had the misfortune of discovering the utility or futility of the miniature-sized video recorded by the cameras on Xuv 700? I was told by my SA that I would have to get it done from the service center and they did not give me the provision to install the SD card when I purchased the vehicle so I have not had a chance to view the functionality. What is the video quality of the captured video like?

I assume you have the L variant and hence have the 360 camera with the dash cam feature. The dash cam is very useful as a deterrent to miscreants on the road. I faced an incident on the, when one such person tried to create ruckus alleging that I had hit his bike. I opened the camera feed (the 4 miniature videos) and even before I could access the correct video, the person saw this and went on his way (ran away) giving the excuse of time and traffic.
So, first thing I would highly recommend is to get the SD card installed. The video quality is good in day light and manageable in the night.

You can get additional dash cam(s) which has its own advantages.

The advantage of the inbuilt dash cam is that there is wide angle recordings of the sides as well along with front and back. The side angle video was the one in which I could see the incident happen in my case

The advantage of 3rd party dash cam is the ease of access to the recordings.

In the inbuilt dash cam, the problem is accessing the full videos from the SD card. There is no easy way to do it; you will have to visit the service centre and get the SD card removed and then copy over to another device

Last edited by amahale : 30th August 2023 at 11:47.
amahale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 16:35   #8936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamodein View Post
Yes, I did through with the arrangement I had in mind.

1. I bought INICIO 154w 12v Good Quality Multisocket accessory in order to extend 12v Socket to the front row.

2. Thanks to BHPian @KNL_Bandi for his helpful recommendation, I got hold of MGA Extention Cable (the wire quality is excellent).

Afterward, I unscrewed the MGA extension cable's two connectors, cut the Multisocket Wire, and soldered (as well as insulated the joints with three layers of Heat Sink Tubes) about 1.5 meters of wire from the MGA cable between the Multisocket and its plug.
Thanks for your detailed answer and the pictures. So you used the wire from the MGA Extension Cable to extend the length of the wire that came with INICIO Multisocket; you must have made two joints at either ends of the wire from MGA Cable. Can any other wire with the same spec be used? Your placement of the Multisocket is very convenient; brilliant work. Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 20:20   #8937
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have many years of enjoyable use of the car

I do have a solution of sorts for your IRVM issue. I got myself a Wolfbox G900 IRVM mounted dashcam and use its rear cam as the auto-dimming IRVM.
Could you let me know how you have fixed the issue of vibration/ shaking of the G900 when mounted on the OEM IRVM? I am currently facing that issue and my G890 is mounted on my Scorpio N.
Old 30th August 2023, 21:28   #8938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Could you let me know how you have fixed the issue of vibration/ shaking of the G900 when mounted on the OEM IRVM? I am currently facing that issue and my G890 is mounted on my Scorpio N.
I haven't really had any noticeable vibration issue with the dashcam. When I made my original comment I was using it on a Grand i10 and now I have it on my Magnite. In both cases I haven't had any issues with vibrations (except at idle + stationary on the Magnite). There are small vibrations when the road gets bad, but its much better than I expected and produces perfectly usable video footage.

Do you have sample video that shows the issue you are having?
Old 30th August 2023, 22:04   #8939
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
I haven't really had any noticeable vibration issue with the dashcam. When I made my original comment I was using it on a Grand i10 and now I have it on my Magnite. In both cases I haven't had any issues with vibrations (except at idle + stationary on the Magnite). There are small vibrations when the road gets bad, but its much better than I expected and produces perfectly usable video footage.

Do you have sample video that shows the issue you are having?
Thanks for the quick revert. I’m coming more from the shaking I get while using the G890 as a rear view mirror with display off which makes it difficult to focus on the vehicles on screen. The videos seem to be ok, will try and post a few clips.
Old 30th August 2023, 22:51   #8940
BHPian

In the latest chapter of my XUV 700 ownership journey, I embarked on a trip from Mumbai to Ahmedabad. Little did I know that this journey would unfold into an experience unlike any I've encountered in my years of driving.

As I cruised past Palghar, a sudden and unexpected alert on the MID caught my attention - the ominous red overheating icon began flashing. This incident came as a surprise, especially since the car had recently visited the service centre for a hose pipe gasket change recall.

Suspicion quickly settled on the gasket, and I promptly pulled over to investigate. Miraculously, the warning vanished as I stopped, and the temperature gauge returned to normal levels.

Upon opening the hood, my eyes were drawn to the sight of an empty coolant tank. Fortunately, I had parked near a fuel pump, providing me the opportunity to purchase two cans of coolant and replenish the reservoir. Seizing the moment, I decided to grab breakfast at a nearby restaurant. This interlude allowed the engine to cool down, granting me the chance to assess the extent of the leak.

While I enjoyed my meal, I reached out to my dependable contact at Mahindra. Following their advice, I set my sights on the nearest Mahindra service station – the Nanavati Mahindra in Boisar, a detour of 32 km from my location.

Fortuitously, the leak proved not to be severe, and the reservoir contained the fluid during our breakfast break. With a vigilant eye on the temperature gauge, I drove cautiously to Nanavati Mahindra, a journey underscored by a sense of anticipation.

By around 9:30 am, I arrived at the service centre. The Nanavati Mahindra team was already apprised of my situation and was primed for assistance. Swiftly, a diagnosis revealed that the leak originated from the main hose connecting the radiator to the engine, responsible for channeling hot coolant back to the radiator. A weakened hose edge, its mouth stretched from the tightening of a clip, had caused the gradual leak.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20230822_104620.jpg

In an unexpected twist, the workshop lacked the replacement hose in its inventory, owing to its non-standard status. Through collaboration and resourcefulness, they located the required part at a Mumbai-based service centre. I was assured by both Mr. Appa, the Customer Relationship Manager, and Mr. Hemant, the Service Head, that they comprehended my situation of heading to Ahmedabad, pledging to expedite the process.

The team orchestrated a logistical ballet, arranging for the part's transfer from Mumbai to their Vasai workshop through Porter. A representative journeyed from Boisar to Vasai to secure the part, which was subsequently transported back to the Boisar workshop. This logistical ballet unfolded over a span of 6-7 hours, during which the service centre personnel ensured my comfort in their waiting lounge, periodically updating me on the progress.

Finally, at around 5:00 pm, the awaited part arrived and was promptly installed within 30 minutes. A swift trial run confirmed that the leak had been successfully stemmed. Given the lateness of the hour and my preference against night time driving, I settled for making it to Surat before calling it a day.

Embarking on the subsequent leg of my journey to Ahmedabad the following morning, a pleasant surprise awaited me. Mr. Appa from Mahindra reached out to inquire about my safe arrival in Surat and the vehicle's performance.

This incident was an unprecedented one for me, experiencing such an issue with a brand-new vehicle within such a short timeframe. It underscores the importance of Mahindra refining their quality control processes, as a coolant hose giving way in just two years of ownership is far from ideal.

However, amidst this unexpected hiccup, a silver lining emerged - my experience with the Mahindra Service team was truly commendable. Their efficiency, dedication, and proactive approach exemplify outstanding customer service. In my extensive ownership history, this level of assistance and commitment stands unmatched by any other brand.

In the end, while the coolant crisis was an unexpected adventure, it showcased both the challenges and the triumphs that can arise in the realm of car ownership. It's a testament to the unforeseen journeys we navigate on the road and the incredible support that can arise when we least expect it.
bill1182 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks