Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 13:31   #2041

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
When I TD'd the vehicle I was told that 2nd row AC has only blower control and no temperature control. Can anyone please confirm this and is it uncomfortable to be in this chiller for a longer duration?
See there are Blower type, Condenser type, and a full fledged AC unit systems in a Car.

1. A Blower is just a fan which throws already cool air coming from the front through vents.

2. In a Condenser system, you have almost similar system present in rear AC like the one present in the front dash, this system is called "condenser", the warm air is taken from the environment and absorbed into refrigerant, this mixture of gases now goes to compressor which compresses the gas and makes the temperature rise, this compressed gas is then transferred to Condenser which dissipates the heat and converts the compressed gas into cool liquid, the blower then "blows the cool air from this cool liquid into the cabin" with the help of expansion valve(regulates the cool liquid).

3. Full Fledged AC unit has an additional system of temperature control and thermostats along with the condenser system(Also k/a Dual Zone AC).

In Z2, there's ONLY a Blower which throws "already cool air" to the rear, whereas from Z4 onward, there is 'Condenser System' at play which is relatively more effective in cooling the rear cabin.

What your SA told is true that in-spite of being able to avail relatively cooler air, we can merely control the blower speed but we cannot change the temperatures for the rear other than already set from the front.
Rigs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 13:37   #2042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
A friend bought DIESEL AUTO 4x4 Scorpio N and the 4H mode has engaged by itself and now the driving modes on the 4x4 selector are also not working. Any idea what it could be. What a strange problem in a one day old car.
Few more of these instances, i might have to let go my Scorpio booking.
krinpit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 22:01   #2043
BHPian

So Finally, Tyre Upgrade for my Scorpio N(Z8L AT 4x4 ) is completed. the long confusion, heart Vs mind decision, everything got resolved now.

Once I got the delivery of my car, somewhere I was feeling that this 4x4 BoF SUV is not complete with an HT Tyre and decided to change to AT Tyre. the stock tyre profile is 255/60 R18 but There is no company providing AT tyres in this profile. so considered the nearest 265/60 R18 and got the go-ahead by comparing at :

https://tire-calc.com/comparison/255...nd-265-60-r18/

I selected MICHELIN LTX FORCE, Continental ContiCrossContact AT, BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2, Geolandar AT G015, MICHELIN LTX Trail and Apollo Apterra AT2 and finalized on Apollo Apterra AT2. It looks very aggressive compared to stock tyres.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-tyreboth.jpg

I was sure that the rear tyre will not touch the inner wall anywhere, but the front tyre will have an issue. so tried fitting the tyre to the front one to check if it was touching anywhere and yes it was touching the mud flap at 95% full steering cut at left. see in this image

Name:  touch1.PNG
Views: 1662
Size:  453.5 KB

So the solution was either to accept this inner wall touch problem(at a particular angle that is 95% left or right steering cut) which is a very less frequent scenario but still no harm or simply remove the mud flap. after removing the mud flap it was not touching at all, see this image

Name:  nottouching.PNG
Views: 1584
Size:  564.4 KB

I also checked the rear side of the tyre and it was not touching anywhere, see this image :

Name:  rearnotouch.PNG
Views: 1597
Size:  477.9 KB

I tested by doing multiple U-turns and it did not touch anywhere.
This gave me enough confidence and I finalized to change all the tyres [except the Stepney tyre as it won't fit], though I did not remove the mud flap. performed proper wheel balancing and alignment and all was good. I was afraid that the steering will go hard but there were no changes in steering feedback.

Now the ride feels more stable like a tank, confident and breaking is smooth unlike the sudden bite with the stock tyre.

White-letter tyre looks awesome now and suits the black beast.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-sideprodile.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-singletyre.jpg
hrishi_dypim is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 22:32   #2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
My dealership sent me an email on 8th December, 2022 informing that my Z4 Diesel AT Dazzling Silver colour was scheduled to arrive at their place on 9th December, 2022. Since I am out of India, didn't further enquire about the arrival confirmation.

The car was already billed on 2nd December and they shared the Chassis number with me. But despite of repetitive requests, they didn't share the VIN number.

Location is Gurgaon.
Please follow up on this. Suddenly I am seeing a truckload of Z4 variant videos on youtube. Mahindra is playing a big game here, only making deliveries of the less VFM models. First Z8L and now z4, skipping the z8 and z6, the variants which most of the people have booked. Disgusting practice
Ruxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 22:44   #2045
BHPian

In Z4 variants, the grab handles of first row and second row are not foldable. These fixed grab handles are looking very ugly. These can hit the head of 6 tall passengers. 3rd row grab handles were anyway fixed type in higher variants.

Also, Z4 gets one key with remote functions and the other one is just a normal foldable key and doesn't have any remote functions.

The youtubers reported ignition key slot is illuminated which would be very helpful.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 23:37   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
The car was already billed on 2nd December and they shared the Chassis number with me. But despite of repetitive requests, they didn't share the VIN number.

Location is Gurgaon.
I spoke to Dee Emm Atul Kataria CRM and she confirmed to me that they have had 2 Z4 ATs billed. I am assuming one of these is yours. They are saying the next Z4 to be billed to them will be mine. Let's see!
rodeoz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 11:07   #2047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
Now the ride feels more stable like a tank, confident and breaking is smooth unlike the sudden bite with the stock tyre.

White-letter tyre looks awesome now and suits the black beast.
Well the vehicle is supposed to be agile and not feel like a tank - that is how it's designed, I do not think this tyre would suit the vehicle.

The suspension has lots of aluminium components including the arms and knuckle etc , so please do not add tyres or wheels that are heavier than the stock set up, it will not improve anything.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 11:22   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
So Finally, Tyre Upgrade for my Scorpio N(Z8L AT 4x4 ) is completed. the long confusion, heart Vs mind decision, everything got resolved now.
Please go through this video by team-bhp member Anshuman Bishnoi. He is pretty well versed in offroad circles.

Here he clearly states that even with stock tyres there is an issue of tyre touching the inside well.

I don't know how you'll be able to overcome the issue with a bigger size?
Vasuki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 15:14   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
I got my Z8L P AT with 118km and when I asked why vehicle is run so much before delivery. I was told vehicles coming by train and vehicle travel from factory to station and then from station to stockyard. This was FYI.
I have driven close to 200km in last few days and found that there is vibration in steering at low speed. I took the vehicle to workshop and they told me that this issue is with every Scorpio N because of steering being electronic and at slow speed the steering motor vibrates. It’s like your bullet vibrates when engine is idle and vibration goes away when engine rev increased.
Does others also felt this week issue with steering at slow speed?
Problem:Issue of vibration in steering of Scorpio N
DeeEmm Gurgaon - the feedback in the quote message is from DeeEmm on steering issue. That every vehicle has this issue
Koncept Mathura Road - on first free service, on raising concern again for steering, they said vibration is there and they tested two nuts and found to be fine. Nothing done
For feedback on service I gave 1/10. So Koncept called me to check the vehicle again. After two persons did test drive, they also , finally, acknowledged that every Scorpio N has issue with road vibrations being felt in steering and many people complaint of the same. And Koncept already has mail chain going on with Mahindra for the same. They are waiting for a response from Mahindra on what has to be done to fix this problem. They mentioned that Mahindra has changed the design of steering and removed some part that was there to stop the road vibrations to reach steering. Diff people giving diff reasons.

But point is there is issue and many people accepting it as normal. But it needs a fix
arvindtayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 18:53   #2050
BHPian

I have a question to all the new and lucky owners of ScorpioN. In the earlier models (my reference is my Scorpio Mhawk from 2009), if you go over a pool of water on the road with a bit of high speed, the water actually splashes right on to your windshield and effectively making you blind. Is this the same with the ScorpioN as well?
Old 11th December 2022, 19:51   #2051
BHPian

Clutch issue with Scorpio N which barely ran 250 km.

ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 20:44   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
The recent accident photographs of Scorpio Classic available on social media are not confidence inspiring. The bonnet condition was almost like any Maruti Suzuki car. A pillar was also severely damaged and bent.

Scorpio N build quality will be more like the Scorpio classic or the Thar? Also, there was a fatal accident of a red Thar and the honeymoon couple didn't survive near Manali.
Some people who come to own the N straight from a sedan or a crossover expect it to drive in a similar fashion. You have to appreciate the high centre of gravity and the tall tyres and the weight of the vehicle. Obviously no one is going to call these tall SUVs nimble, however some people are taking their chances.
Even the most secure and safety features loaded car might not save you if you get in to a high speed accident anywhere in the world. The 64kmph speed at which NCAP tests are done is a smokescreen, a crash at even 80 or 90 kmph is going to have a dramatically different outcome.
Basically respect physics and our road conditions and don't think you're a racing driver on our highways while driving and you'd be fine.
Now some lorry flies in and piles head-on in to your N on the highway you'd be thanking Shiva and Kaali and Ganesh that you were not riding in a Creta or a Grand Vitara.
mpp1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 21:26   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp1 View Post
Basically respect physics and our road conditions and don't think you're a racing driver on our highways while driving and you'd be fine.
Now some lorry flies in and piles head-on in to your N on the highway you'd be thanking Shiva and Kaali and Ganesh that you were not riding in a Creta or a Grand Vitara.
Did they crash test ScorpioN already ? No I guess. If ScoripioN is considered as safe just because its based on Thar (4 star in GNCAP), then Grand Vitara also can be considered safe as its based on Brezza (4 star in GNCAP).

peace
Old 11th December 2022, 21:53   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
Did they crash test ScorpioN already ? No I guess. If ScoripioN is considered as safe just because its based on Thar (4 star in GNCAP), then Grand Vitara also can be considered safe as its based on Brezza (4 star in GNCAP).
N in my opinion is going to be safer than Creta, Grand Vitara and Brezza not because of Thar safety rating but the fact that it's almost double the weight of most crossovers in the market. As for crumple zone design I'm pretty sure Pininfarina was brought in at some point for their seal of approval.
Also I'd take a 3star N compared to a 4star Brezza any day.
The point I was making was about safe driving not the invincibility of the N.
mpp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 23:32   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Please go through this video by team-bhp member Anshuman Bishnoi. He is pretty well versed in offroad circles.

Scorpio - N off road review

Here he clearly states that even with stock tyres there is an issue of tyre touching the inside well.

I don't know how you'll be able to overcome the issue with a bigger size?
Yes, have seen this video, in this rear wheel rubbing the wall at particular offroading scenario which is Axle articulation so this new tyre will also rub,cant do anything on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Well the vehicle is supposed to be agile and not feel like a tank - that is how it's designed, I do not think this tyre would suit the vehicle.

The suspension has lots of aluminium components including the arms and knuckle etc , so please do not add tyres or wheels that are heavier than the stock set up, it will not improve anything.
I think the stock tyre was 1 kg lighter. today i drove after changing the tyre on pune mumbai expressway and did a bit of offroading especially axle articulation and felt the difference which was positive in all the aspects.
I had all the negative thought before chaging the tyre and so it took 5k running before changing the tyre.
But will continue observing for any negative side effect as you have highlighted about suspension
hrishi_dypim is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed