Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 10:01   #6151
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

@ SDP ; Use light polish like sonax paint cleaner first , i am sure you will get rid of stains if not then use 3M finishing compound (Black container with purple cap) it is less abrasive then Rubbing compound and will clear out all scratches.

Please update After Use and please get a good body cover.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 25th August 2012 at 10:07.
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 12:19   #6152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh
Where can i buy something like this.? preferably in ludhiana/chandigarh?

Spot Polishing 4" Inch COMPLETE KIT (FOR USE WITH ANY DRILL OR ROTARY) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Just vist www.machpowertools.com you may find B&D and Bosch. Or in ebay, you get some cheap stuff which may not last long.
Old 25th August 2012, 22:57   #6153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Wash and shampoo the car on first day,do claying,polishing and sealant/waxing etc can be done on the 2nd day. Its easier on your body too
Thanks, however, I could manage washing, claying and half-polishing today. The remaining half of polishing and waxing is scheduled for tomorrow.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:07   #6154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Thanks, however, I could manage washing, claying and half-polishing today. The remaining half of polishing and waxing is scheduled for tomorrow.
One suggestion, before you attack the next day, clean each panel with a damp microfiber and wipe with a clean one before proceeding to remove any dust that would be accumulated over night.
Old 26th August 2012, 13:12   #6155
BHPian

I suggest, it's better to give 24 hours of time before waxing. Hope you are using a good sealant after polishing.
My usual routine is wash and clay on Friday evening, entire polishing and sealant application on Saturday and waxing on Sunday . You will get time to relax.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:40   #6156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're looking to buy applicator pads, here's a good deal i found,8 for 580 bucks including shipping!

Buy 2 Set-Meguiar's Gold Class Applicator Pad(Pack Of 4) Each - Autofresh

Mods: Just sharing a good VFM deal here, i'm in no way associated with the seller.
I doubt the quantity, its for 4 applicator pads i.e. 2 sets (Pack of 4). Quantity is also mentioned in the product description.
Here it is;

"
CLEAR COAT SAFE Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad(4)4.5 inch reusable pads in a convenient polybag."
Old 28th August 2012, 15:44   #6157
Senior - BHPian

A pack consists of 4 applicator pads and for 580 you get 2 such packs totalling to 8 applicator pads.

I'm sure of this as I ordered and got 8 for 580!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 15:51   #6158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A pack consists of 4 applicator pads and for 580 you get 2 such packs totalling to 8 applicator pads.

I'm sure of this as I ordered and got 8 for 580!
Thanks for clarifying though its strange, even i ordered them a month back with the same description but got only 4 pcs.
It seems they have updated the price too so that deal is sweet
Old 28th August 2012, 15:53   #6159
Senior - BHPian

When I ordered and going by the rather confusing description I thought its a set of 2 and each pack contains 2 applicator pads,totalling to 4 pads in all.

Was surprised when I opened the package and found 8 ! Looks like I won't be needing applicator pads for a long time
Old 28th August 2012, 16:04   #6160
BHPian

My DIY detailing session over the weekend went off quite well. However, here's where I messed up. There is one place where I didn't properly buff off the Meguiars Swirlx that I had used and applied sealant over it. Dried polish marks are visible through the wax layer on top but can't be removed. Now, how do I deal with the situation? Do I clay over the area and apply SwirlX again? Experts, please suggest a remedy.
Old 29th August 2012, 00:09   #6161
Senior - BHPian

Gurus please help!

I detailed my car on 14th August, using BF combo after claying the car. On 19th my had a massive fuel leak and was with the A.S.S till today.

Its been raining very heavily in bangalore over the last few days and my car was parked in the open exposed to the rain at the workshop.

Today when I cleaned the car using the duster I noticed that the smoothness is no longer there like before, especially the hood and side panels.

Will a coat of Blackfire wet diamond paint sealant on the existing surface suffice ?
Old 29th August 2012, 07:57   #6162
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurus please help!

I detailed my car on 14th August, using BF combo after claying the car. On 19th my had a massive fuel leak and was with the A.S.S till today.

Its been raining very heavily in bangalore over the last few days and my car was parked in the open exposed to the rain at the workshop.

Today when I cleaned the car using the duster I noticed that the smoothness is no longer there like before, especially the hood and side panels.

Will a coat of Blackfire wet diamond paint sealant on the existing surface suffice ?
Should be ok, the "smoothness" does not remain for more than 5-6 water washes, but that does not mean sealant protection is non existent. Check for water beading. However we do love the smoothness, do go ahead and apply. Multiple coats are good too, with a gap of 12-24 hours.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 08:15   #6163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide
Rubbing compound has abrasives in it, like liquid sandpaper? wont it take away the finish?
I had experienced the same in my black WagonR and used Wurth's fine rubbing compound followed by a brief polishing using Wurth's paint restoration polish. Since the intensity of the scratch was not too deep, it disappeared. To answer to your question, once you use a rubbing compound, a coat of polish will bring back the finish.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:51   #6164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
My DIY on? Do I clay over the area and apply SwirlX again? Experts, please suggest a remedy.
You can use some iso propyl alcohol to remove the remaining residue or you can even use some more Swirl X & get it out. Apply sealant to affected area once more.
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 11:35   #6165
Senior - BHPian

Another query i had, does dragging a car cover on the surface leave micro scratches or swirls ?
A certain amount of dragging is inevitable I guess. Any tips on how to use one safely then ? I make it a point to dust the car with Jopasu duster before the cover goes on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks