Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 20:00   #8836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
To all who have changed their Civic's clutch, what was the symptom of bad clutch ? My car's clutch feels ok and there is no issue with changing gears. The only issue I really have is intense juddering in first and reverse gear. The entire front frame vibrates while driving in slow speed in reverse and first while taking off in either direction.
That is indeed the flywheel, too smooth for comfort of the friction plate.
You can try skimming, or put a new one. New Honda one is nearly 11-12K. If you intend to keep it for long makes sense to get an OEM one, mine lasted 160K and then the symptom once in a while is occurring. I can still manage a few more kms. probably 1'll push it to 175K if the current scenario persists and change both clutch and flywheel together.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 16:59   #8837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I had got a Daikin Exedy clutch at 82k. During the change, had got the flywheel skimmed. I'm at 157k right now and I've had no issues whatsoever till date. Last I had asked, the flywheel was available for 6k or something. Can verify it from Ghai if required.
Can you please verify from Ghai which brand flywheel they have for the Civic in new condition and exact cost for shipping etc to Mumbai?

Thanks.
Old 24th November 2017, 18:00   #8838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I had got a Daikin Exedy clutch at 82k. During the change, had got the flywheel skimmed. I'm at 157k right now and I've had no issues whatsoever till date. Last I had asked, the flywheel was available for 6k or something. Can verify it from Ghai if required.
I just inquired at a local shop and I am getting one for around less than 6k. Think i might go with that one.

Thanks.
Old 25th November 2017, 01:01   #8839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just inquired at a local shop and I am getting one for around less than 6k. Think i might go with that one.

Thanks.
That should be good enough I guess. I had got mine skimmed. Maybe I'll replace it if it gives some troubles in the near future
Old 28th November 2017, 14:41   #8840
BHPian

Few months ago in HASS I changed my both CMC (clutch master cylinder) + CSC (clutch slave cylinder). Within 5-6 months, CMC started squeaking. Initially HASS tried lubricating CMC, but it used to start squeaking again within couple of weeks. So finally they replaced CMC under parts warranty.

now the replaced new CMC has started squeaking again (it's been approx 2 months after last replacement). I strongly feel that this specific batch of CMC is having some kind of fault. Have anyone faced such issue with OEM CMC? Can I ask them to try installing new (2008 onwards) civic's CMC, maybe old civic CMC batch having some trouble. (mine is 2007 civic)
Old 28th November 2017, 14:46   #8841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Few months ago in HASS I changed my both CMC (clutch master cylinder) + CSC (clutch slave cylinder). Within 5-6 months, CMC started squeaking. Initially HASS tried lubricating CMC, but it used to start squeaking again within couple of weeks. So finally they replaced CMC under parts warranty.

now the replaced new CMC has started squeaking again (it's been approx 2 months after last replacement). I strongly feel that this specific batch of CMC is having some kind of fault. Have anyone faced such issue with OEM CMC? Can I ask them to try installing new (2008 onwards) civic's CMC, maybe old civic CMC batch having some trouble. (mine is 2007 civic)

In my 2007 May Civvy, CMC and CSC were never replaced. They still are the factory originals. So you can rule out any issues 2007 make might have
Old 28th November 2017, 19:00   #8842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
In my 2007 May Civvy, CMC and CSC were never replaced. They still are the factory originals. So you can rule out any issues 2007 make might have
This is surely not about factory fitted CMC for 2007 batch, because mine also lasted for 9 years before replacement. Maybe it's about replacement units batch for 2007 civics. Does it matter for CMC if it's sitting on shelf for prolonged period? Maybe they were manufactured 10 years ago? I will ask HASS to investigate this matter in detail, same OEM part should not fail twice in row within just few months.
Old 29th November 2017, 00:23   #8843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is surely not about factory fitted CMC for 2007 batch, because mine also lasted for 9 years before replacement. Maybe it's about replacement units batch for 2007 civics. Does it matter for CMC if it's sitting on shelf for prolonged period? Maybe they were manufactured 10 years ago? I will ask HASS to investigate this matter in detail, same OEM part should not fail twice in row within just few months.
My Civic is a Jan 2007 model. I had the said cylinders changed in 2015 and they are still going strong post 45k kms later. Do you hear the cylinders squeak while driving ? Are you sure it's not the clutch pedal ?
Old 29th November 2017, 02:25   #8844
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The steering rack in my Civic has started leaking. The mechanic is quoting 3500 for the rack repair and 1500 labour and is offering a 3 months warranty for the job. I do not have very good experience when it comes to the rack repair. My mechanic is also not confident and says PS steering once leaked are never reliable if repaired and might develop the problem again. I wanted to check with you all how your experience has been with a rack repair job. The problem is hardly driven 200 KMs in a month now. So 3 months warranty might not make sense for me. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 29th November 2017, 06:46   #8845
BHPian

Quote:
My Civic is a Jan 2007 model. I had the said cylinders changed in 2015 and they are still going strong post 45k kms later. Do you hear the cylinders squeak while driving ? Are you sure it's not the clutch pedal ?
It's 100% squeak from CMC itself, and not from clutch pedal. Tomorrow giving car to HASS, will ask to diagnose it properly this time. On many other internaltional civic forums, i frequently read about such seuqaking issues with even new OEM CMCs.
Old 29th November 2017, 10:07   #8846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Same here. 158000 kms and still holding up pretty well.

The squeak could be because of something else?

@All

my front right side suspension is making noises over bad roads. I guess the bushes need to be changed. I had got the struts replaced 2 years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

The steering rack in my Civic has started leaking. The mechanic is quoting 3500 for the rack repair and 1500 labour and is offering a 3 months warranty for the job. I do not have very good experience when it comes to the rack repair.
I would say it's subjective. It depends on the amount of leak as well as the expertise of the mechanic. Sometimes a minor leak can be easily fixed by replacing the seals and the car is good to go for thousands of kms. PS has always been an issue with the Civic and despite changing the pump, I've to live with a whine. The performance is unaffected though.

I'd say go for it. A rack replacement is going to set you back by tens of thousands. If it works and holds up well, it's a win.

Last edited by coolkurt : 29th November 2017 at 10:12.
Old 29th November 2017, 19:07   #8847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's 100% squeak from CMC itself, and not from clutch pedal. Tomorrow giving car to HASS, will ask to diagnose it properly this time. On many other internaltional civic forums, i frequently read about such seuqaking issues with even new OEM CMCs.
I am facing this issue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4293858

It is not a squeak, but more of a grinding feel. But occasional squeaking does come in with the grinding feel.

Check if the issue lies in the pivot of clutch pedal.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 2nd December 2017, 09:29   #8848
Senior - BHPian

For those of you who have missed out. Here's the link again. Do join.

https://*******************/IdzzxfFHPK00p1B4jN3QWh
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:23   #8849
BHPian

Quote:
Car is back from HASS. They did confirm that noise is from CMC itself. It will be replaced again under parts and labour warranty. Service advisor informed me that they have reported this case of repeated CMC issue to honda technicians, and under their guidance proper action will be taken.
Old 4th December 2017, 14:03   #8850
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine insulation cover on the under-hood was in bad shape. I think most Civics of this vintage have gotten the insulation tear off because of factors like water (during washing), rats bites, and general wear and tear. I am saying this by comparing my cousin's Civic whose insulation is in shambles too.

Decided to do it my myself, hence Leoshashi procured the boot floor insulation for the Wagon-R from Maruti. Also, got a pack of 20 clips for clipping the insulation back to hood.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2498.jpg

Since the procured insulation rag was bigger than the required size and of different shape, I had to cut it to match the shape of insulation cover. It was difficult to cut with a pair of scissors, so had to use a cutter knife. Ultimately the knife went blunt after cutting it. The insulation is really made of strong fibres.

Applied fevicol to the insulation and pasted it to the cover and left it overnight for drying. With new push clips, installing it was a matter of couple of minutes.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2499.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-fullsizerender.jpg

Total Cost - Rs. 250/- approx for insulation rag, Rs. 40/- for Pinning Clips (20 pcs) and some fevicol.

Also, installed footwell lights to the Civic :d
Had ordered a roll of warm white LEDs which I cut into smaller strips of 6-10 LEDs. Tapped the cabin dome light wire from the MICU under the driver's side dashboard and placed a 570 ohms resistor to limit the flow to LEDs. The correct wires to tap are the green and pink wires on the extreme right blue connector of the MICU.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1image.jpeg
Tap the wires of the blue connector on the extreme right. Pic wasn't taken for this purpose hence focus is not on that connector. This is a reference only.

Once you have tapped the correct wires, installation of Footwell lights is an easy tasks mainly asking for fixing the LEDs and concealing the wiring. I concealed the wires by running them behind the running board trims.

Cost- Rs. 370/- for LED roll, some wires, and a 570 ohm resistor for 0.50p.

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 4th December 2017 at 14:05.
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks