Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 21:48   #9871
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 683 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Test drove the ecosport 1.5 petrol manual last week (for around 10 kms.) and here are my observations.

1. The pickup seems to be very slow below 1-1.2k. The throttle really has to be pushed to get the car going. Strange coz this is not a diesel engine to have turbo lag or anything.
I almost bought the Ecosport 1.5P but didnt precisely because of this very lazy performance curve.

Once I test drove the Tata Zest, I realized that the 1.2 Revotron is THE best petrol engine car below 10 lakhs with a manual gearshift & went for that.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 14:30   #9872
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
1. The pickup seems to be very slow below 1-1.2k. The throttle really has to be pushed to get the car going. Strange coz this is not a diesel engine to have turbo lag or anything.
2. Once the car is near 2k I noticed it accelerates well and very silently.
That is pretty much how the 1.5 petrol behaves. Better to drop a gear than lugging the engine below 2k rpm.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 16:10   #9873
AAD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That is pretty much how the 1.5 petrol behaves. Better to drop a gear than lugging the engine below 2k rpm.
I guess most Petrol engines would behave in similar fashion due to the fact that the peak torque is usually generated post 2000 rpm in normally aspirated engines.
AAD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 21:17   #9874
BHPian
 
saleem_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 193
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
For your kinda driving range per month, its definitely a petrol.

Don't let go of safety features. ABS and Airbags, are a must. After paying lakhs, you should not hold back thousands. Get the one with Airbags.

Why not go for the Ecosport AT Petrol. Its good and comfortable and has a decent FE as well. Not sure if the i20 has an AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I almost bought the Ecosport 1.5P but didnt precisely because of this very lazy performance curve.

Once I test drove the Tata Zest, I realized that the 1.2 Revotron is THE best petrol engine car below 10 lakhs with a manual gearshift & went for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That is pretty much how the 1.5 petrol behaves. Better to drop a gear than lugging the engine below 2k rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I guess most Petrol engines would behave in similar fashion due to the fact that the peak torque is usually generated post 2000 rpm in normally aspirated engines.

Thank you all for your inputs. Guess I will go with petrol with obvious cost benefits and a decently drivable petrol engine.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 17:34   #9875
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 32
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I am aware of at least one such issue which was reported on the Ecosport forum of TAI. The engine was replaced under warranty in that case.
Makes me think if this issue has not got enough attention. I was infact planning on an ecosport in a few months to replace my 1 lakh kms old figo. Confused.
hardoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 19:16   #9876
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
Makes me think if this issue has not got enough attention. I was infact planning on an ecosport in a few months to replace my 1 lakh kms old figo. Confused.
The Ecosport's diesel engine was used in the New Fiesta too. Bhpian MAS' Fiesta had crossed 1L + km without any issues.

The rumor is that some of the early batch of diesel ecosports had this problem of oil consumption and ford is replacing the whole engine or the head.

It is the same engine that is used in the figo and aspire now and any oil consumption will show in the 2 years usage when the car will be under warranty so i would suggest not to worry about these.

I moved from the 1.4 tdci to 1.5 tdci and it's a sea change wrt NVH, FE and torque spread.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 19:58   #9877
BHPian
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 378
Thanked: 477 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I almost bought the Ecosport 1.5P but didnt precisely because of this very lazy performance curve.

Once I test drove the Tata Zest, I realized that the 1.2 Revotron is THE best petrol engine car below 10 lakhs with a manual gearshift & went for that.
The ecoboost is under 10L now and has a stick shift as well. Although it may not be the best car but certainly is up there when it comes to engine.
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 20:20   #9878
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 60
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. Guess I will go with petrol with obvious cost benefits and a decently drivable petrol engine.
I own the 1.5 petrol. As mentioned in the post it has lazy behavior at low rpms but once u learn to manage it, through proper gear change there is no issues
nitheeshsreeram is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 20:29   #9879
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 683 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
The ecoboost is under 10L now and has a stick shift as well. Although it may not be the best car but certainly is up there when it comes to engine.
I tested almost all available petrol cars with a manual transmission, with engine capacity upto 1.5L while buying my Tata Zest.

Best drivable car was Toyota Etios Petrol 1.5L, but interiors & features were too dated. After this came the Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron, especially in the Sports mode. Punto 1.4L was third. Both Ecosport petrol engines didnt do justice to the car, I felt.

If the VW Polo 1.2TSi had been available in manual gearshift, I may probably have gone for that, I didnt want an auto tranny.

Last edited by gsurya : 30th March 2016 at 20:43.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 17:10   #9880
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/CDG/MAA/SIN
Posts: 748
Thanked: 762 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Hi guys,

My close friend's Ecosport developed a starting problem last December. He took it to the dealer and they've advised change of some particular part. The job card for the same was made on the 10th of December 2015 at MPL Ford, Chennai. Today, as I write, 31 Mar 2016, his Ecosport is still lying at the dealer for arrival of parts. That's about 120 days/4 months at the dealership. The dealer is citing Ford as the reason for delay and my friend's at his wit's end.

This is the job card:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-12377588_10154774865107907_3735130500840245708_o.jpg

Is there anyone higher up on Ford's management that he can get in touch with? He's already tweeted and posted FB Ford India, but no response. Would be really helpful if someone can provide the email address/phone number of someone in power to look into this issue and get it sorted. TIA!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 31st March 2016 at 17:12. Reason: spelling mistake
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 02:13   #9881
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: miryalguda
Posts: 103
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Is there anyone higher up on Ford's management that he can get in touch with? He's already tweeted and posted FB Ford India, but no response. Would be really helpful if someone can provide the email address/phone number of someone in power to look into this issue and get it sorted. TIA!
It is very sad to know about your friend's problem. There are still a few people left in Ford who really care about their customers. Please send your consent to them. They will surely help you.

Here are there email addresses.
1- manurag@ford.com
2- ameena@ford.com
3- jdhushya@ford.com

Do keep us updated.
All the best.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st April 2016 at 08:09.
sumanbhokray is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 07:23   #9882
BHPian
 
camon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kollywood,CH,TN
Posts: 65
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

That's unfortunate. Even my close friends car which was affected in November flooding, left the car in MPL ford Pallikaranai for service on 30 Nov 2015. He was asked to pay advance of 20000 to start the work on 19 th Jan 2016. Till date his car is lying in the service centre citing parts not available. He escalated to ford customer care and after multiple followps his car was moved to Chennai ford poonthamali service centre last week since MPL ford was delaying to complete the service for a long time. Also Ford agreed to bear 100% liability amount and 50% in engine parts that occurs apart from insurance claim amount. His car is now lying in Chennai ford from last week and he has no idea when he will get back the car. So kindly call or send a mail to ford customer care and surely they will take necessary action. Good luck
camon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 08:17   #9883
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/CDG/MAA/SIN
Posts: 748
Thanked: 762 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
It is very sad to know about your friend's problem. There are still a few people left in Ford who really care about their customers. Please send your consent to them. They will surely help you.

Here are there email addresses.
1- manurag@ford.com
2- ameena@ford.com
3- jdhushya@ford.com

Do keep us updated.
All the best.
Thanks so much sumanbhokray! I'll pass this onto him. Your help is very much appreciated!
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:07   #9884
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 718 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Has anyone here used the projector headlamp set sold by FC Unit?
http://fcunit.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=20

Is it -
a) effective
b) reasonably priced
c) simple to instal? (I mean it is just a matter of taking out the present headlamp unit, putting this in its place and attaching the plug? Or is is more complicated, involving a ballast etc. Sorry )
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:14   #9885
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Maximum and minimum FE update for the past 4 refills are 23.48 and 20.46 kmpl.

Rear passengers complain that they get thrown around and ride is not as comfy as the fiesta, so no brisk driving these days: 1800-2200 rpm most of the times.

So why does the music system heat up so much?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks