Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:55   #9361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Attachment 2287197 - this is the plug board.

One of the switches says 16A & the other one doesn't say anything.

Now I need 2 16A connections & 1 regular connection - the multiplug you suggest - may not be sufficient - it increases the 2 sockets to 3 but with 1 16A & 2 regular.
Both the plug sockets seem to be 16A. Just to confirm, I would open the board and check the thickness of feed wires and switch amperage. The switch (one with nothing written on it) could be 16A too. I bought Anchor Roma 1-Way Switch with Neon 21077, White, 20 amp 240V which is identical.

Regarding the multiplug, the one I used had 3 output points- 2 X 16A and 1 X 6A-2 pin; so you can find such stuff as well.

Regards.
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:03   #9362
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Both the plug sockets seem to be 16A. Just to confirm, I would open the board and check the thickness of feed wires and switch amperage. The switch (one with nothing written on it) could be 16A too.
Ok, thank you. I will call an electrician to come & check & then decide what to do.
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:07   #9363
BHPian

Quote:
Above my kitchen counter....
An appliance plug would fit into a socket of appropriate current rating. So if your coffee maker, mixie and micro have same plug then there should be no problem.

Generally Micros / fridge use 32 A sockets.
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:11   #9364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
So if your coffee maker, mixie and micro have same plug then there should be no problem.
How? There are 3 plugs & 2 sockets?
Quote:
Generally Micros / fridge use 32 A sockets.
No, I think fridge works on a 5A switch. My fridge has always been connected to a 5A socket.

Microwave, geysers, dryers, coffee makers, ACs etc require the higher one.
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:16   #9365
BHPian

Quote:
I meant don't worry about the ratings.

Yes, in that case you need to use an extender.

Quote:

No, I think fridge works on a 5A switch. My fridge has always been connected to a 5A socket.

Sure of that?.

Some smaller capacity fridges work on normal sockets (rated at 6A) while higher capacity ones need at least a 16A to 32 A ones.

We are talking about a compressor here.
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:58   #9366
BHPian

Planning to buy water purifier for my parents in Bangalore with small storage. Water supply from the corporation so I guess UV is sufficient.

I see one from Aquaguard with 7L storage https://www.eurekaforbes.com/water-p...-reviva-nxt-uv quoted 13K by Eureka forbes.

Are there other brands which offer good installation/maintanance with similar or lower price than this one?
Old 22nd March 2022, 17:23   #9367
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Quote:
I meant don't worry about the ratings.

Yes, in that case you need to use an extender.

Sure of that?.

Some smaller capacity fridges work on normal sockets (rated at 6A) while higher capacity ones need at least a 16A to 32 A ones.

We are talking about a compressor here.
There is a slight difference between the switches and sockets. Switches come with 6A/16A both in the same form factor but contactor material is different. 32A switch will be visibly bigger. However if you see socket, 6A socket is visibly smaller and 16A/32A socket will be the same.

General cut off for selection of switches is, low power circuits is 600W (6A), high power is 1200W (16A) and further to 32A switches based on de-rating of 50% rated current & power.

You can use 6A switch for modern inverter compressor fridges. My 234L Samsung fridge that is connected to Solar inverter runs in the standard 6A socket & switch as it consumes less than 50W and during defrosting time it can go up to 100W.

You can connect a 750W mixie also with 6A switch which will be operated for few minutes (lesser duty cycle) but please be aware that the switch contactor will degrade and in some cases the toggle plastic will deform in heat with prolonged use.

@Carboy - Please check whether you have any inverter wiring done in your house. To make things visibly clear, generally, inverter wiring will be done only to 6A switches/sockets. If you are extending an 16A socket, please consider another 16A socket so that any future electrician won't mess with it.

My suggestion will be to leave the Microwave oven (1500W?) permanently in one socket and use the mixie (750W)/coffee maker (1000W?) for the other one that you are planning to extend. Please check the actual max ratings of your appliances and decide.

Also, check whether you can get a permanent toggle rocker switch ON-OFF-ON so that only one socket gets powered at a time. MK Electric used to make them but not sure whether they still make it. Since they are UK based, it will come in 10A, 20A ratings and not 6A or 16A ratings.

Finally, if you ask me the best way, I won't do any extension but will connect the mixie or coffee maker plug as per my need.
thanixravindran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:52   #9368
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 580L refrigerator and a 350L before that. Both of them came with 6A (small) plugs. Refrigerators do not take that much power. Mine has a 180W wattage.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 20:17   #9369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I have a 580L refrigerator and a 350L before that. Both of them came with 6A (small) plugs. Refrigerators do not take that much power. Mine has a 180W wattage.
I am not going to defend my self. Yes, even mine goes through a normal socket. Man, why didn't I not notice?

Then again as I said before, the manufacturers provide the plug that the appliance needs. So you don't need to worry about current ratings.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 05:36   #9370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Planning to buy water purifier for my parents in Bangalore with small storage. Water supply from the corporation so I guess UV is sufficient...
You should ask here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5282320 (Recommended water purifier?)
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 07:33   #9371
BANNED

Quote:
Sure of that?.
100%. Never seen a fridge which needed 16A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
You can use 6A switch for modern inverter compressor fridges.
I think even older ones used 6A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post

@Carboy - Please check whether you have any inverter wiring done in your house.
No, no inverter.

Quote:
Then again as I said before, the manufacturers provide the plug that the appliance needs. So you don't need to worry about current ratings.
Plug is not an issue - the socket which the plug goes into & also the switch accompanying is the socket is what I am concerned about.

Last edited by carboy : 23rd March 2022 at 07:35.
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:55   #9372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
We have a Faber ductless chimney in one house
If you dont mind, can you share the model name and a few pics. I need to finalize on a chimney by end of this week
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:13   #9373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you dont mind, can you share the model name and a few pics. I need to finalize on a chimney by end of this week
This is the model we have; ours is a decade old so not the exact model but this is an evolution of it. Three fan speeds, and two lights. Two carbon filters that we change every year, and a steel mesh covering them, that we clean ourselves once a quarter/six months.

https://faberindia.com/product/ruby-plus-pb-ss-60/
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:15   #9374
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Looking for a domestic flour mill for home consumption for a family of 3. Lot of local brands available on Amazon, pretty pricey too. Anybody bought one? Pls share the performance review and after sales service.
Old 24th March 2022, 11:45   #9375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Looking for a domestic flour mill for home consumption for a family of 3. Lot of local brands available on Amazon, pretty pricey too. Anybody bought one? Pls share the performance review and after sales service.
As far as I have seem with my relatives, a domestic flour mill is viable only if :

. Your consumption is high enough
. You cannot do with store bought flour
. You are willing to clean it thoroughly every time you use it

Just like pets demanded by children and abandoned to parents, flour mill will require your care and maintenance. That is why once the novelty is over, these mills stay in the closet unused.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks