Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 13:00   #5191
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

While talking to one of the sales guy in Anant, he mentioned that Mahindra (especially for XUV) they stop manufacturing by Sep/Oct and they would try to sell the existing stock for that year and again resume production by Jan of next year. Is this true?
I had my own doubts after hearing this, because with XUV when there is still good amount of vehicles selling, how Mahindra would be able to cater the demand if they stop production by Sep/Oct. I guess they cannot tell customers that our stock is over, wait till end of Jan to get your vehicle...is it possible?
Old 25th November 2013, 18:41   #5192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
While talking to one of the sales guy in Anant, he mentioned that Mahindra (especially for XUV) they stop manufacturing by Sep/Oct and they would try to sell the existing stock for that year and again resume production by Jan of next year. Is this true?
I had my own doubts after hearing this, because with XUV when there is still good amount of vehicles selling, how Mahindra would be able to cater the demand if they stop production by Sep/Oct. I guess they cannot tell customers that our stock is over, wait till end of Jan to get your vehicle...is it possible?
This is not true.
I took delivery of XUV on 18 Nov.
I decoded the VIN and it came out to be manufactured in November 2013.
The vehicle also had the W8 badging on the rear door and also the font of "mahindra" has changed.

In the same breath, I would also add that the respective showrooms might be dishing out vehicles which were manufactured months ago to lesser educated customers.
I saw a vehicle being driven out of the showroom yesterday after delivery which did not have the W8 badging on the rear door.
It might be possible that the new owner was given a discount for accepting a vehicle which was manufactured a few months ago.

The showrooms are definitely gonna sell off their existing stocks to unsuspecting customers. There's no doubt about that.
After all, how many of those people out there reads through all these posts and are able to make out these subtle differences or decode the VIN?

There definitely are lot of difference between the handling of the earlier XUV batches and the new ones.
Mahindra had incorporated two sets of changes:
First, was in the time period between Oct 2012 to Mar 2013.
The brake pads were changed and the suspension was tweaked.

The latest ones, as I was told by the reps of Mahindra, have been incorporated with new suspension, brake sets and have cleared the rattles and all existing niggles. (Or so they claim at least!!!)

The brakes behaviour is confidence inspiring and I do feel that I am driving a vehicle with ABS. (I did not feel so on the test drive vehicle, which was manufactured in Jun 2012).
There is no more veering to the left nor noise from the suspension.

Hope Mahindra has settled it for ever.
Fingers crossed.

Having said that, I still had an occassion when the infotainment system restarted by itself and two occassions when the cruise control switched off. Probably, the cruise control got tired of me
dhanushmenon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 19:00   #5193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Having said that, I still had an occassion when the infotainment system restarted by itself and two occassions when the cruise control switched off. Probably, the cruise control got tired of me
And so I'm not alone. You know what. I had a malfunctioning cruise control right from day 1. It would disengage on it's own, for no reason. Now after driving for 26k, I thought it's better to fix it within the warranty/free labor period. And guess what. The problem disappeared all on it's ow this weekend. It doesn't disengage as frequently as it did earlier. I guess it has to do with the some loose connection inside the steering wheel. You better get this corrected at the earliest.
Old 25th November 2013, 19:19   #5194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
And so I'm not alone. You know what. I had a malfunctioning cruise control right from day 1. It would disengage on it's own, for no reason. Now after driving for 26k, I thought it's better to fix it within the warranty/free labor period. And guess what. The problem disappeared all on it's ow this weekend. It doesn't disengage as frequently as it did earlier. I guess it has to do with the some loose connection inside the steering wheel. You better get this corrected at the earliest.
I think the cruise control getting disconnected by itself has got something to do with the '+' button on the steering wheel to increase the speed.
On both occassions, my cruise control went off when I was increasing speed with the '+' button.
The manual says that we can keep the '+' button pressed for 12 seconds.
I ain't sure but whether the cruise control will get switched off after that or not.
Kindly try it on your next outing and update the thread whether this is the case.

On both occassions, I had to restart the ignition to activate cruise control again.
Old 25th November 2013, 19:47   #5195
BHPian

Folks - Is there a difference in suspension setup between old XUV and new 2013 XUV 5oo? Recently, I drove XUV close to 600+ KMS from Bangalore to Goa. I somewhat feel that the suspension is too much on the softer side. It bounces during high speeds when you go over a small bump. Is it the case with the first version of XUV 5oo?
Old 25th November 2013, 19:54   #5196
BHPian

Quote:
On both occassions, I had to restart the ignition to activate cruise control again.
The first few times, when my cruise control got disengaged, I tried just this. But then it defeats the whole purpose. So I started with the combinations.
Sometimes Cruiseoff, brought back the cruise on. Sometime the - button brings the cruise on.
Sometimes, I had to leave the controls unattended and activate the res and after some 15 mins and it would resume.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:16   #5197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Folks - Is there a difference in suspension setup between old XUV and new 2013 XUV 5oo? Recently, I drove XUV close to 600+ KMS from Bangalore to Goa. I somewhat feel that the suspension is too much on the softer side. It bounces during high speeds when you go over a small bump. Is it the case with the first version of XUV 5oo?
Yes. There is a difference in suspension setup of the previous XUVs than the present ones.
When I say present ones, I am referring to the ones which have been rolled out after October of this year.
In my experience, I felt that the previous ones used to bounce more than what it does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Sometimes Cruiseoff, brought back the cruise on. Sometime the - button brings the cruise on.
Sometimes, I had to leave the controls unattended and activate the res and after some 15 mins and it would resume.
That's quite some weird combos.
And the last one is hilarious.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:23   #5198
Senior - BHPian

Pressing + or - buttons should not cancel cruise control. If this is happening, then something is wrong. Please have this checked.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:25   #5199
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. There is a difference in suspension setup of the previous XUVs than the present ones.
When I say present ones, I am referring to the ones which have been rolled out after October of this year.
In my experience, I felt that the previous ones used to bounce more than what it does now.
Oh, that means the previous ones has even softer suspension setup? I liked all of XUV, except the suspension. I felt its on the softer side which ending up bouncing the vehicle during high speed travel. Not sure Stiff suspension is only for Sedans/Lower GC vehicles.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:33   #5200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, that means the previous ones has even softer suspension setup? I liked all of XUV, except the suspension. I felt its on the softer side which ending up bouncing the vehicle during high speed travel. Not sure Stiff suspension is only for Sedans/Lower GC vehicles.
Before you form your opinion, kindly cross check the month of manufacture of the vehicle you drove. Better suspensions are with the vehicles manufactured after Oct 2013.
And yes, it is still bouncy as compared to a sedan or hatchback
Old 25th November 2013, 21:17   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own XUV from the first batch and have driven 40K kms 90% on highway and i can safely say XUV does not have soft suspensions. It stays planted at high speed and doesn't vobel like scorpio. M&M might have soften them up in Oct 13 onward batches, but surely they were not like this before.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 21:40   #5202

Folks, mine is September 2013 manufactured, even i feel its slightly more bouncy . I may be wrong since i was used to Toyota Corola drive feel but this makes you feel slightly tossed. Need your opinions here, apart from this i think the ride is just superb ans the vehicle is a awesome machine full of zeal and excitement. It gives you that 'live young live free' feeling the moment you crank up the engine. Kudos to M&M for this amazing beauty who is surely changing the SUV scene on Indian roads . Experts please do suggest if i need to see the workshop/service station to get this sorted out! Also does fitting a rear guard a safe bet in terms of warranty etc, as the autos and cycles passing around the rear end really gives my heart a miss
Old 25th November 2013, 21:41   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
Before you form your opinion, kindly cross check the month of manufacture of the vehicle you drove. Better suspensions are with the vehicles manufactured after Oct 2013.
And yes, it is still bouncy as compared to a sedan or hatchback
Its a Oct 2013 batch only. That's i am sure of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I own XUV from the first batch and have driven 40K kms 90% on highway and i can safely say XUV does not have soft suspensions. It stays planted at high speed and doesn't vobel like scorpio. M&M might have soften them up in Oct 13 onward batches, but surely they were not like this before.
Thanks. Looks like, it has gone to soft in the recent batch production. I would love to have the suspension little stiffer.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:31   #5204
Senior - BHPian

Any confirmation regarding XUV5OO AT ? Was hoping to get it launched along with W4, may be as W10 !!

Still on cards or a distant dream ?
ashthedivx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 01:41   #5205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Any confirmation regarding XUV5OO AT ? Was hoping to get it launched along with W4, may be as W10 !!

Still on cards or a distant dream ?
Distant dream, I would say. Haven't heard this or seen any news anywhere regarding this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks