Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:46   #1981
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
That brings up an interesting point. So, we can keep the 'stock look' of the Polo if we put on the 16" wheels from the Passat? Will this be a direct fit in terms of PCD, offset, Hub bore etc? And how much would it cost to get a set of 4?
These wont fit the POLO as the PCD is different. My spare is not an alloy so I had asked the dealer for the same and he quoted 30k for the alloy only (single piece, without tyre although the spare tyre is the same size so I did not need the tyre).
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:21   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post

Can anyone confirm if the current GT wheels are from Previous GTs or Previous Highline. Thanks
It looks like the new GTs have the Indian, non diamond polished rims :(
Old 4th September 2014, 08:41   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Here, I am posting two pictures, from another thread on T-Bhp. The first Pic is from a GT TSi and has polished face (Made in Spain), The second has the same look but no polished face. These are basically replicas made in India.

The picture you shared isn't very clear to justify the difference between two wheels. Only if you could have a better look in person
I checked, though at night. Didnt look any diamond polish to me. Here is a comparo pic of what you had posted and my GT alloys:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-alloys.jpg  

Old 4th September 2014, 09:18   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
I checked, though at night. Didnt look any diamond polish to me. Here is a comparo pic of what you had posted and my GT alloys:
Now this is Dissapointing. Probably vw clearing the stocks. That too on a premium model. Not cool.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:22   #1985
BHPian

Whew! Went to the VW dealer yesterday and boy do I have a massive headache. Everyone considering adding any mods to their Polo should do so with a lot of thought and research.

VW have extremely idiotic policies in place regarding what voids their warranty and the dealers dont really seem to have a clue of whats going on. I spent at least 30 minutes talking to the SA about how the Blaupunkt 835 system would integrate into the car with the reverse parking camera and Optical Parking System. They were extremely insistent that OPS was not possible on the Polo and that connecting the system in a way to enable OPS would void warranty. The best part came later, when the senior sales rep got involved in the discussion, and then said that the Blaupunkt system is not authorized at all on the Polo and would lead to voiding of the warranty!!

Upgrading wheels would according to them also void warranty!!!. Installing a dual horn also leads to voiding warranty. Forget about cluster or steering upgrades. It almost seems to me that even if I sit wrong in the car, VW is going to claim that as a reason to void the warranty. I love their cars, and I still believe that the Passat automatic is the most convenient car to drive in Bombay, but I have no clue what the people at the top are thinking when they are implementing all their policies.

Anyone else actually know whats acceptable and whats not? I now have no faith in what the dealer says is acceptable or not, as they seem to be pretty clueless.
apurva512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:48   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Whew! Went to the VW dealer yesterday and boy do I have a massive headache. Everyone considering adding any mods to their Polo should do so with a lot of thought and research.

VW have extremely idiotic policies in place regarding what voids their warranty and the dealers dont really seem to have a clue of whats going on. I spent at least 30 minutes talking to the SA about how the Blaupunkt 835 system would integrate into the car with the reverse parking camera and Optical Parking System. They were extremely insistent that OPS was not possible on the Polo and that connecting the system in a way to enable OPS would void warranty. The best part came later, when the senior sales rep got involved in the discussion, and then said that the Blaupunkt system is not authorized at all on the Polo and would lead to voiding of the warranty!!

Upgrading wheels would according to them also void warranty!!!. Installing a dual horn also leads to voiding warranty. Forget about cluster or steering upgrades. It almost seems to me that even if I sit wrong in the car, VW is going to claim that as a reason to void the warranty. I love their cars, and I still believe that the Passat automatic is the most convenient car to drive in Bombay, but I have no clue what the people at the top are thinking when they are implementing all their policies.

Anyone else actually know whats acceptable and whats not? I now have no faith in what the dealer says is acceptable or not, as they seem to be pretty clueless.
Every dealer seems to have their own reasoning on what mods will void warranty. My local dealer also mentioned that changing the steering wheel or cluster would void warranty. Changing audio system especially to a VW OEM one does not. I would also be interested to read the original T&C for VW India warranty.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:57   #1987
BHPian

The warranty is void if you tamper with anything. Sometimes you can work you way around these policies in certain minor cases. But strictly speaking, they can deny warranty if you alter anything on the car. The way the car was handed over to you is what will actually have its warranty valid if you go by the book. Rest depends on the dealer and your dealing with him. Sometimes that helps, especially on a commonly accepted and carried out additional fitment on your car.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:28   #1988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They were extremely insistent that OPS was not possible on the Polo and that connecting the system in a way to enable OPS would void warranty. The best part came later, when the senior sales rep got involved in the discussion, and then said that the Blaupunkt system is not authorized at all on the Polo and would lead to voiding of the warranty!!
That’s just plain rubbish! Not only does the 835 integrate nicely with all the bundled connectors without splicing/cutting/taping any of the stock cables, VW is now bundling the same Philadelphia 835 HU in the new Vento Konekt.

Quote:
Upgrading wheels would according to them also void warranty!!!
It does but not the warranty for other components. Suppose you upgrade the rims or change the tires, and if the suspension struts, springs, brakes or ABS fails, they have every right not to honor the warranty. But if you installed a Blaupunkt HU retaining the stock tires and rims, and if the suspension components fail, on what grounds will they deny you the warranty? Similarly, if the BCM/CECM fails, they can deny you the warranty if you have modified or changed any of the electrical items (lights, bulbs, horns, cluster, knobs, switches, HU etc).

The dealership is playing smart by forcing the owner not to do any upgrades by themselves or from another garage but is okay if you get these done from them! They are making a jackass out of themselves if they play these tricks on informed owners.

For the record, of all the modifications I’ve carried out in the car, I can replace everything back and get the car to the stock state without VW realizing what I’ve done with the car. I’ve preserved all the stock components (except the RCD 320 HU) should I face issues later on. But everything is documented on the ownership log so there’s no escaping that but I will be man enough to admit should something go wrong later on due to the modifications and VW is denying the warranty.

I went for the 15000 km/1 year service last weekend and the sales advisor was taken aback to see the car when we went for the pre-service inspection. I explained everything I did so far - right from the LEDs in the cabin light, footwell lights, glovebox light, sharkfin antenna, front grill, bonnet strut, tail lights, GTI cluster, VCDS modifications etc. but he never raised a hue and cry. He handed over the keyfob after the service the next day with a smile. I know if something goes wrong later on, I’ll be flogged but one needs to understand the risks that are involved before taking up these modifications. If you are so worried about VW and Skoda’s after sales service reputation in the country, please stay away from any of these modifications and enjoy the car in its stock state. If you aren’t, go ahead and do it but be man enough to face the risks and issues that may crop up later on.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th September 2014 at 11:39.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:55   #1989
BHPian

Shrug. I dont have harish's patience to deal with litigation in India. My dad is a lawyer, and I know firsthand how tedious the process is. While you are technically correct that changing wheels should not void electrical warranty, in our country it will be extremely difficult to get that pushed through should the car manufacturer decide to not honour the warranty. Regarding the dealer trying to scare me into getting the modifications done by them itself, I was anyways asking THEM to supply and install the items wanted, and they refused due to it voiding warranty. The main reason I put my post up was so other people in the same boat as I can decide whether they want to risk getting any modifications done and deal with the ramifications if something goes wrong.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:22   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Shrug. I dont have harish's patience to deal with litigation in India. My dad is a lawyer, and I know firsthand how tedious the process is. While you are technically correct that changing wheels should not void electrical warranty, in our country it will be extremely difficult to get that pushed through should the car manufacturer decide to not honour the warranty. Regarding the dealer trying to scare me into getting the modifications done by them itself, I was anyways asking THEM to supply and install the items wanted, and they refused due to it voiding warranty. The main reason I put my post up was so other people in the same boat as I can decide whether they want to risk getting any modifications done and deal with the ramifications if something goes wrong.
VW dealers are such a joke. They are so afraid to install even genuine OEM parts and hide behind the claim it will void warranty. No wonder they are having a hard time selling and servicing their cars in India.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:47   #1991
BHPian

Quote:

I spoke to my SA and he was very forthcoming on a few things.

1. changing tyres, alloys does not void warranty
2. he said the RCD 320 given is a good unit, but if you want a touch unit, it can also be done, but better get it done outside. so, does not void warranty unless any wires are cut/spliced
3. the dealership can fit a dual horn for Rs 2500, but he said that better get it done outside as it'll be much cheaper. Hence, does not void warranty. He also gave some weird reason that the dual horn did not pass some test by authorities, hence the single horn

So, on a couple of things, the dealer is giving you a wrong picture.
Old 4th September 2014, 16:14   #1992
BANNED

I have a april 14 gt and it seems to have the polished finish. while doing wheel balancing i saw the made in spain mark on it. I was curious to know if the non polished version states that it is made in india and also is the weight of both the versions of alloys same or different ?
Old 4th September 2014, 16:31   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I have a april 14 gt and it seems to have the polished finish. while doing wheel balancing i saw the made in spain mark on it. I was curious to know if the non polished version states that it is made in india and also is the weight of both the versions of alloys same or different ?
The Non Polished (highline) wheels don't say anything (No Made in bla bla). I am not too sure about the weight, but I dont think you need to worry about that. Yours will either be the same weight or lighter
Old 4th September 2014, 17:48   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
One of the techs I work with mentioned that the original alloys used to cost about 20K each. Now the whole set costs that much.

The shiny part does not make much difference to me as I plan to get it painted black. I am just worried about the quality when VW replaced the alloys where the whole set is priced the same as one original alloy.
Old 4th September 2014, 19:27   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
VW dealers are such a joke. They are so afraid to install even genuine OEM parts and hide behind the claim it will void warranty. No wonder they are having a hard time selling and servicing their cars in India.
Not just VW for that matter. When it comes to warranty and if you ask dealer's opinion, almost all of them behave very silly. It is just to direct the additional accessory sales to their own dealers, and they sell at a good premium.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks