Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 12:21   #2056
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyRo View Post
10-12kmpl @30-40kmph seems to be very less. Are other tsi owners in B'lore also getting abt the same milage?
Milage is the only reason I'm very hesitant in booking the car.
Also, how accurate is the MID abt the fuel consumption? Is it reliable or would one still have to calculate between fills?
Depends on your usage. If for example you expect to be doing < 1000KM per month, you can live with the lower mileage compared to the diesel and you get the convenience of the 7 Speed DSG. And based on experience, after a while you stop bothering about the mileage. MID is quite accurate. The numbers I have mentioned are based on full tank to full tank comparison. It has been close to/equal to what MID indicates.
Old 12th September 2014, 12:22   #2057
BHPian

What does behave like a semi-automatic mean? Why would you need to change gears at all in an automatic car(the tsi)? Sorry, I just seem to have missed what you are trying to communicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I would suggest you to go for 1.5 TDI. Its will give you more mileage and behave like semi-automatic, you will need to change fewer gears, which is a boon in Bangalore city driving.

Since its a primary car, go for highline as it will take care of everything including long distance driving.
Old 12th September 2014, 12:45   #2058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
What does behave like a semi-automatic mean? Why would you need to change gears at all in an automatic car(the tsi)? Sorry, I just seem to have missed what you are trying to communicate.

Well the 1.5 TDI is not an automatic, I guess he is referring to the manual diesel which may need less gear changes owing to the the higher torque.
Old 12th September 2014, 13:04   #2059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Sedate driving(office commute):
I get around 13 kmpl in city. This is definitely not during the peak hours, I try to start to office at 8:00 am, and return back at 5:00 pm.

Sedate driving(Highway drive around 80 to 100 kmph):
I get around 16 kmpl

Spirited drive:
Last weekend, we had been to Yeracaud(with Team Bhp). I got around 10.5kmpl, where as GT TDI owner got more than 20kmpl.

Bumper to bumper traffic:
9kmpl.

If you are looking at the mileage you should look for TDI. Having said about the mileage, TSi is a much better car to drive, I guess most of the owners(including me) have no regrets in buying this.
Interesting mileage figures. Surprisingly my 1.8 TSi Laura also delivers a very similar mileage pattern. Maybe down by just about 0.5 kmpl overall. Considering the smaller displacement engine and the overall lighter weight of the Polo compared to the Laura, the Polo TSI should do much better than this.

In fact this is the main problem I have with my i10. When my remapped 200 bhp 1.8L petrol Laura, running on fat 225 section tyres can give me 8.5 to 9 kmpl over the same city route, the 1 litre engined, slow as a snail, puny i10 has no business giving just 8 kmpl. And mind you this 8 kmpl is achieved by carefully feathering the throttle giving the GB all the time it needs to shift up or shift down.

I know its not fair comparing an MT with ATs, but when you compare the mileage of Diesel MTs with Diesel DSGs with the same engine, the DSGs really don't lose anything in terms of efficiency.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 13:18   #2060
BANNED

Guys quick question does the extended warranty on TSI also cover the DSG gearbox ?
Old 12th September 2014, 13:25   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Guys quick question does the extended warranty on TSI also cover the DSG gearbox ?
Yes it does cover the DSG gear box and I have opted for one.

To all the folks who own a DSG or have knowledge about it; what is the final word on the best way to use the DSG in go-stop-go stretches of traffic?

It appeared to me that there were a lot of discussions in this thread but I may have missed any conclusive verdict.

Cheers,

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / MULTI_QUOTE (QUOTE+) functions within 30-minutes of posting instead. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th September 2014 at 16:14.
Old 12th September 2014, 13:29   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it does. That's the main reason I had gone for the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
To all the folks who own a DSG or have knowledge about it; what is the final word on the best way to use the DSG in go-stop-go stretches of traffic?

It appeared to me that there were a lot of discussions in this thread but I may have missed any conclusive verdict.

Cheers,
In City driving I try to do the following
In Very Short signal(say 15 seconds in the Red light), I do the following to stop
- Leave the mode in 'D'
- Keep the foot brake engaged(and do not engage the handbrake).

In Short signal(say around a minute in the Red light), I do the following to stop
- Leave the mode in 'N'
- Engage the foot brake/Engage the handbrake. I prefer engaging the hand brake just for the convenience.

In Long signal(say more than 2 minutes in the Red light), I do the following to stop
- Change the mode to 'N'
- Engage the foot brake/Engage the handbrake. I prefer engaging the hand brake just for the convenience.
- After 30 seconds(for the turbo to cool down) switch off the engine.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / MULTI_QUOTE (QUOTE+) functions within 30-minutes of posting instead. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th September 2014 at 16:15.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:01   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rohan - seems like a very sound advice; and of course nothing like one coming from a fellow-user.

This shall be followed .

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:18   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
In Very Short signal(say 15 seconds in the Red light), I do the following to stop
- Leave the mode in 'D'
- Keep the foot brake engaged(and do not engage the handbrake).

In Short signal(say around a minute in the Red light), I do the following to stop
- Leave the mode in 'N'

In Long signal(say more than 2 minutes in the Red light), I do the following to stop
- Change the mode to 'N'
if I'm in signals type Short to Long ie from 45 second upwards I keep the car in P mode with engine running.

- no stress of engaging foot brake or the hand brake.

is the above practice correct or am I damaging my gearbox ?
Old 12th September 2014, 14:24   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Query : Upon startup, do you idle the engine to allow the cooling liquid (water or engine oil as the case may be in Polo) to circulate through to the turbos bearings or simply start and drive off.

I ask this 'cause for my TJet (and turbos in general) that is what is recommended, idle at start up and before switching off. Interested to know whether the recommendations are different for the Polo.

Quote:

Old 12th September 2014, 14:28   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Query : Upon startup, do you idle the engine to allow the cooling liquid (water or engine oil as the case may be in Polo) to circulate through to the turbos bearings or simply start and drive off.

I ask this 'cause for my TJet (and turbos in general) that is what is recommended, idle at start up and before switching off. Interested to know whether the recommendations are different for the Polo.
Idling rule is true/recommended for all turbo-charged engines, petrol and diesel alike. So yes I practice it on my GT. We have a complete thread on it.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:52   #2067
BANNED

Guys another question may sound silly in case of an accident does the extended warranty stands void ?
Old 12th September 2014, 14:56   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
if I'm in signals type Short to Long ie from 45 second upwards I keep the car in P mode with engine running?
I am not an expert. I think it is better to put in "N" and then use the brake. I use the "P" mode only while parking(i.e when the ignition is off) along with the handbrake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Idling rule is true/recommended for all turbo-charged engines, petrol and diesel alike. So yes I practice it on my GT. We have a complete thread on it.
Instead of idling, I make use "Alternate method" mentioned in the above thread.
Crawl out of my parking spot and through my neighborhood at just over idle rpms. Try to stay below 2000 rpm for couple of minutes(around 5 minutes).
Old 12th September 2014, 15:20   #2069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Interesting mileage figures. Surprisingly my 1.8 TSi Laura also delivers a very similar mileage pattern. Maybe down by just about 0.5 kmpl overall. Considering the smaller displacement engine and the overall lighter weight of the Polo compared to the Laura, the Polo TSI should do much better than this.

In fact this is the main problem I have with my i10. When my remapped 200 bhp 1.8L petrol Laura, running on fat 225 section tyres can give me 8.5 to 9 kmpl over the same city route, the 1 litre engined, slow as a snail, puny i10 has no business giving just 8 kmpl. And mind you this 8 kmpl is achieved by carefully feathering the throttle giving the GB all the time it needs to shift up or shift down.

Am not an expert, so may be totally off the mark here.

Just wondering if this is because these are Turbo Charged petrol's that give the peak torque from a low RPM Range. So in most of our typical driving conditions, the engines whether it is a 1.2/1.4 or a 1.8 TSI are not taken anywhere close to the peak power range due to the flat torque curve. So these engines don't need to work hard to provide the performance that a regular user wants. Something like the 1.8 TSI. since it provides a much higher torque than then 1.2, has to work even less to provide the driving performance in most of our conditions (in spite of having to propel a heavier car). This in turn leads to similar mileage figures.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 12th September 2014 at 15:22.
Old 12th September 2014, 16:10   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my query was on the startup at/from the traffic signal, guess I did not make that clear upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Idling rule is true/recommended for all turbo-charged engines, petrol and diesel alike. So yes I practice it on my GT.
Quote:
Instead of idling, I make use "Alternate method" mentioned in the above thread.

Well, as I understand it, for the parts that get damaged in an accident, their warranty(extended or otherwise) would obviously be void. Not on unaffected parts though.

Once the damaged parts are replaced they would be covered under their own warranty as well as the workmanship. The time frame for this may vary from one OEM to another.

Further some OEMs may consider the replaced parts under extended coverage while others may not. I am making an open ended statement here but then unless one was to check with every OEM, that's how it stands. Maybe someone who has experienced this scenario first hand can shed more light.

Quote:
Guys another question may sound silly in case of an accident does the extended warranty stands void ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks