Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 14:48   #5521
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
Need advice.
I am used to a petrol car.
1. In ecosport diesel, I keep getting a strange behavior : I have stopped at say a red light. The signal turns green, I move 10 feet in 1st gear, shift into 2nd and am at around 25-30 kmph. The cars in front by now would have gone ahead 50 ft. I press the accelerator and nothing happens. The car remains at the same speed. I can see the rpm goes up to 1500-1800 range. I am forced to shift down, speed up in 1st gear and then shift up. keep getting honked by those behind.

I am aware there is a lag in diesel engines but this happens once in a while and not always in the same situation.

2. Another problem: I am at some speed x in say 3rd gear. I have to slow down so I brake and slow down. Then as I remove my foot off the brake the car seem to accelerate by itself.

3. Happened 3-4 times in last 10 days. Waiting to take a U turn in traffic, I take the turn and the engine stops. Looks like I can't turn the ignition and start again, I need to turn the key to a fully off position and then turn it on again.
Welcome to the diesel world. I too faced some of your problems. But, trust me, you will get used or even like some of these things.

I learnt that engine being hot or cold is key for Diesel engines. during cold start, you will face some of these slow response or no response issues. So, you need to accelerate a little more. When you are in move and engine is hot, you get that thrust when you release the clutch. Its is actually very useful and helps you move ahead during slow down - accelerate situations. I am loving it and you will also like it soon.

I have an Option pack press button start. So, do not know about your 3rd problem. But, when you are at slow speeds, always keep revs little high (compared to petrol). Otherwise, car will not pull or stop
Old 13th November 2013, 15:08   #5522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...3. Happened 3-4 times in last 10 days. Waiting to take a U turn in traffic, I take the turn and the engine stops. Looks like I can't turn the ignition and start again, I need to turn the key to a fully off position and then turn it on again.
Missed it - Could be a accidental crank protection feature. I know for sure Fiats have this installed. If the car switches off while moving off from a stand still, you need to do a complete turn off and then crank it again to start the car.

This is to make sure that you don't crank the car accidentally, when it already ON. Knowing that Ecosport has very good cabin NVH, they might have included this as a feature.

I think you are NOT giving enough accelerator input to prevent the car from stalling. The petrol - diesel transition is hitting you I guess. Please provide a bit more accelerator when you start off from the traffic lights or while taking a U-turn or something.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th November 2013 at 15:11.
Old 13th November 2013, 15:17   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Need advice.
I am used to a petrol car.
1. In ecosport diesel, I keep getting a strange behavior : I have stopped at say a red light. The signal turns green, I move 10 feet in 1st gear, shift into 2nd and am at around 25-30 kmph. The cars in front by now would have gone ahead 50 ft. I press the accelerator and nothing happens. The car remains at the same speed. I can see the rpm goes up to 1500-1800 range. I am forced to shift down, speed up in 1st gear and then shift up. keep getting honked by those behind.

I am aware there is a lag in diesel engines but this happens once in a while and not always in the same situation.

2. Another problem: I am at some speed x in say 3rd gear. I have to slow down so I brake and slow down. Then as I remove my foot off the brake the car seem to accelerate by itself.

3. Happened 3-4 times in last 10 days. Waiting to take a U turn in traffic, I take the turn and the engine stops. Looks like I can't turn the ignition and start again, I need to turn the key to a fully off position and then turn it on again.
Hi Srinivas, I can truly understand your diesel drudge. Well diesel engines have a turbo lag and along with it very tightly coupled gear ratios.

Infact Ecosport has a fair amount of turbo lag and even tighter gear ratios. As the engine idles at 750 rpm and the true Turbo kicks in at 2000 rpm (as per the specifications from Ford) its very difficult to get the punch at lower gears.

As you are new to the diesel power trains, you definitely feel left out at the end of the traffic signal. But as and when you will get into a habit of the changing gears with respect to the speed, you will never be left behind. Just FYI this is what made the Swift a craze for Diesel lovers as it has a fantastic turbo kicking in at as low rpm as 1500, when its idle rpm is 1000.

This is how you will need to drive the ecosport.
1st Gear : 0 -10 Kmph
2nd Gear : 10-25 Kmph
3rd Gear : 25-40 Kmph
4th Gear : 40-65 kmph
Above 60-65 shift to the 5th gear.

Coming to your point no 2. Yes that's true for diesel cars that they do not require an accelerator when you start off. So you will need to get in habit of just releasing the accelerator pedal to make the car take some initial acceleration.

Even your last observation is true that if the car engines goes off, you have to quickly bring the car back to original ignition position and then again press the clutch and press for ignition.

That said, ecosport engine is not as zippy when low speeds and rpms are concerned. You will have to get in a frame of mind that it will take time to accelerate. Once you will reach Gear 3, then you will see that it will behave very similar to your petrol car. It will really zip up to high speeds on a slight nudge of the accelerator. Hope this helps.
Old 13th November 2013, 15:37   #5524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
...Just FYI this is what made the Swift a craze for Diesel lovers as it has a fantastic turbo kicking in at as low rpm as 1500, when its idle rpm is 1000...
Sorry but Swift's turbo spools in at 1800+ rpms (2000 to feel the punch) and idle rpm = 900. It's the difference in the tuning that makes Ecosport feel linear and old Swift feel vigorous. This is tamed a lot more in the new Gen (current) Swift.
Old 13th November 2013, 16:10   #5525
BHPian

Good News Fellow BHPians...

Finally I have been allotted my Ecosport - Diesel Titanium (+) - White and can expect delivery on Nov 17 after almost 5 months of waiting !!!! (Hope the wait was worth it) - booked on June 26, 2013 with Riddhi Ford.

Just a quick question - Dealer is asking for 15000/- for extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year (or 100,000 kms) - what do the experts say to this ? Is it worth it ? I for one am inclined to go for it !
ask4gautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 16:26   #5526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry but Swift's turbo spools in at 1800+ rpms (2000 to feel the punch) and idle rpm = 900. It's the difference in the tuning that makes Ecosport feel linear and old Swift feel vigorous. This is tamed a lot more in the new Gen (current) Swift.
I used Swift for 6 years and as it grew older it I could feel punch at 1500 revs. She was an awesome car. I still miss it. :(
Old 13th November 2013, 16:40   #5527

Quote:
Hi Srinivas, regarding this 3rd point, what i've understood (from VW, as even the Vento has this) is that the cars which have a floating code for the immobilizer require this.

In case of a stall, turning the key back to OFF position generates a new code, which synchronizes, and then ignition can be achieved.

Not entirely sure if this applies to EcoSport as well, but certainly seems like it.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:06   #5528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask4gautam View Post
...Just a quick question - Dealer is asking for 15000/- for extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year (or 100,000 kms) - what do the experts say to this ? Is it worth it ? I for one am inclined to go for it !
Not sure of the cost, but extended warranty is highly recommended for a diesel car, especially since this is a new one and we are NOT sure of the long term reliability.

Please check with multiple dealers on the EW rates or please wait for other bhpians to come back on the rates.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:39   #5529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Not sure of the cost, but extended warranty is highly recommended for a diesel car, especially since this is a new one and we are NOT sure of the long term reliability.

Please check with multiple dealers on the EW rates or please wait for other bhpians to come back on the rates.
Ecosport is not an entirely new car and neither are the engines except the EcoBoost. It is in sale in Brazilian market since 2003 or so, just ask Google the God :-)
But as far as extended warranty goes it definitely helps especially in later years of ownership of any car whether petrol, diesel or otherwise as by the time you reach 3rd or 4th year and about 80k to a lakh km mechanical things are bound to fail.
Only problem of extended warranty is limitation on fitting after market accessories, carrying out mod etc.
I am a hardcore modding freak with all my previous cars having undergone some of other major modification but in case of Ecosport I am planning to take extended warranty for at least a year just because of the electronics stuff in the car.
Old 13th November 2013, 19:03   #5530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Ecosport is not an entirely new car and neither are the engines except the EcoBoost. It is in sale in Brazilian market since 2003 or so, just ask Google the God :-)...
It hardly matters whether a car has been existing in a different continent or the parts have been shared in it for long. It rather matters whether this product as a whole exists in our conditions for long enough to trust the reliability factor. We are talking about a product which underwent a recall within a month (?) or so of the launch. It would NOT be wise to draw conclusions based on the existence or proven parts in other cars.

I would trust the car ONLY once a bunch of these clock 1L kms + and turn out to be trouble free.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th November 2013 at 19:04.
Old 13th November 2013, 22:41   #5531
BHPian

Have Finished two tankfulls with my EcoBoost . All the usage was in city. First mileage calculation was 8.9 and second one was 9.5 . So it is slowly picking up
Old 13th November 2013, 22:49   #5532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Finally I have been allotted my Ecosport - Diesel Titanium (+) - White and can expect delivery on Nov 17 after almost 5 months of waiting !!!! (Hope the wait was worth it) - booked on June 26, 2013 with Riddhi Ford.

Just a quick question - Dealer is asking for 15000/- for extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year (or 100,000 kms) - what do the experts say to this ? Is it worth it ? I for one am inclined to go for it !
Congrats Gautam! I've rather opted for Extended Warranty since I remember how Notorious' Verna's Turbo gave up towards the end of 4th year and since the car was under Warranty he saved 70k Expenditure!

I've asked them no Body Care Package as for the Underbody I fail to understand the reason for it in Delhi as we don't live in Coastal Areas or in Snowy Areas where Salt aids in Corrosion and further for the Paint Protection aspect, Notorious will do a Better Job!
Old 13th November 2013, 22:59   #5533
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on the car allotment. I would seriously recommend extended warranty as it covers most of your electrical and mechanical parts. With my fiesta , I had to open the gearbox assembly towards end of 4th year and it was covered in warranty.
Old 14th November 2013, 08:29   #5534
BHPian

Quote:
3. Looks like I can't turn the ignition and start again, I need to turn the key to a fully off position and then turn it on again.
Its called the smart start system in Ford lingo, its present in almost all new gen Ford cars, we have it in our Figo too.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:52   #5535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Ecosport is not an entirely new car and neither are the engines except the EcoBoost. It is in sale in Brazilian market since 2003 or so, just ask Google the God :-)
Not entirely true. The current generation Ecosport production started only in 2012 for Brazil. The 2003 Ecosport was developed on a different platform altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I would seriously recommend extended warranty as it covers most of your electrical and mechanical parts.
Are you sure the extended warranty covers most electrical and mechanical parts? As per my dealer, it covers only the Engine and the Gearbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks