Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 23:58   #1021
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't know what it does to the climate control exactly but the lights are adaptive and in sport mode the response to the adaptive lights is faster as per the manual.
Climate control goes to eco mode, using lower power in the compressor, and enabling the turbo take up priority.

Easier analogy - think about our old Maruti 800 where we used to turn off the AC to go up the ghats or accelerate / speed up.
roadwarrior is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 01:16   #1022

Hello everyone. I'm new to Team Bhp, hence the late post. Until then, I was reading forums while in the process of buying this car and beyond. We bought a Skoda Superb L & K 1.8 TSI in 2019. This is not a detailed review; it's just an overview of my purchase process. In 2019, we decided to buy a new car for a budget of 30-40L onroad.

We were clear that the car would be a sedan. Since we have been a sedan family over the decades. It is sad that the sedan market is slowly phasing out. Nothing can match the driving dynamics of a sedan.

Vehicles considered-

1. Skoda Octavia-

Skoda launched the Octavia vRS 230 in 2017 with a fantastic price tag and it was sold out at the end of 2018, but at that time we had no plans to buy a car. In 2019, there were rumours that there would be fresh stocks that could be shipped, but that never happened. I test drove the Octavia 2.0 TDI. The 1.8 TSI was not available. It was a fantastic car, but the cabin insullation*could have been better for the price. This missed some of the features that Superb offered that I liked. But Superb didn't have a digital instrument cluster like Octavia did. Overall, a great car with solid build quality.

2. Skoda Superb-

The Skoda Superb is a classy European sedan with a bling factor. It's got all the features and a huge boot space. I must say this car is flawless. It got everything right; ride quality, handling, comfort, build quality, cabin insualltion and heavy doors with an assuring thud. I*test drove the Superb 1.8 TSI and was fully satisfied with the performance it offered and the ease of handling. It didn't feel like I was driving a big car, and it drives well on bad roads. Overall, a great car with everything right.

3. Volkswagen Passat-

The Volkswagen Passat has an understated design which is loaded with features like a 360-degree camera, driver's massage seat, adaptive dampers, etc. But the dealer was not interested in selling the car, stating that there is*no stock. But Team Bhp members were posting about their new purchase of Passat. I did not get a test drive since it was not available at the moment. I lost interest in it, and since the dealer itself is not ready to sell the car, then why should I test drive it? VW SA himself recommended the Skoda Superb.

4. Honda Civic-

The Honda Civic is a great car with all the necessary features. The top-end 1.8L petrol engine is offered only with a CVT gearbox. The engine performance is great with adequate torque, but the only drawback is the CVT gearbox. It is sluggish to shift, which I did not enjoy. If Honda offered that manual on top, it would have been a success. Unfortunately, now it is discontinued.

3.Toyota Innova Crysta-

The Toyota Innova Crysta is a spacious, durable, comfortable*and multi-purpose car. I test drove both the manual with the 2.4L and the automatic with the 2.8L engine. Both the engines' performance are good. The clutch is neither hard nor soft. The torque converter gearbox is slow to shift gears. This is only a drawback of the 2.8L engine. The car doesn't justify the premium price tag because it misses out on a few features and the build quality is not up to the mark in a few areas. The cabin insulation could have been better. You can feel the engine vibrations inside the cabin.

4.Toyota Fortuner.

The Toyota Fortuner has an imposing design with a huge street presence and a great package. There are no changes to the AT gearbox, which is the same as the Innova's slow shifts. The Fortuner does have better NVH. It is also pricier. The Ford Endeavour is better than this. There is not much to say.*

5. Ford Endeavour-

The Ford Endeavour also has an imposing design with a huge street presence. The punchy 3.2L engine is a gem of an engine with superior ride quality and top-notch build quality. The NVH level is good since it offers a noise-canceling function. Any time, I'd pick Endeavour over a Fortuner. Unfortunately, Ford has stopped manufacturing. I still can't believe that happened.*

The Purchasing Procedure-

Finally, we decided to purchase a Skoda Superb 1.8TSI L & K after a dilemma about choosing a car. After selection of the car, there was a dilemma in deciding upon the color. I don't like beige interiors. It is tough to maintain the interior and doesn't look that great. In 2019, Skoda silently launched a Brown interior with Moon White and Black exterior colors. I loved the brown interior of the Superb. It enhanced the interior and looked better than the beige interior. I was clear about the black with a brown interior. But the family were into white, but white doesn't look that great on Superb IMO. Finally, we decided on black with a brown interior.

We booked the car, and it arrived at the dealer in 10 to 12 days. I did the PDI referring to Team Bhp norms, and the car had a green signal from our side. We were a bit slow in completing all the financial work due to some obivious reasons, hence the delay. I must appreciate Tafe Access Mangalore for its transparency and honesty throughout the process. Each person is helpful and genuine. Special thanks to the team. We were informed that ours was the first "black" as well as brown interior Superb sold there. I was happy to hear that ours was the first black Superb they had sold. On delivery day itself, we opted to keep the car for ceramic coating at Ceramic Pro for a 4 year package with every 6 months of free maintenance.

Advantages:

1. The soil build quality, combined with heavy doors, provides a reassuring thud.

2. Powerful engine with light shifts

3. The NVH level is excellent.

4. The interior switches and material quality are excellent.

5. Extremely comfortable seats with the option of hot or cold air ventilation. Driver seat with 3 memory functions. You can cruise hundreds of kilometers without getting tired.

6. There is plenty of boot space.

7. Sensors that can be rotated 360 degree. This really helps during parking and in city traffic.

8. Design. This car has a street presence.

9. The ride quality is great; you won't feel any small potholes.

10. Effective AC cooling with 3 zone climate control.

Drawbacks-

1. Reliability of DSG.

2. Skoda ASS. These are mixed opinions. I haven't faced any issues till date.

3. Stock Apollo tyres.

4. The transmission tunnel may hamper rear seat space.

5. Using halogen bulbs in fog lamps.

This is not a comprehensive review; it is just a short overview. I'll try to write a detailed review in the future.

Please accept my apologies for any errors.

I'm attaching some pictures below. Again, sorry for the inconvenience(poor image quality). I'll post more photos as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_5091.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_9716.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_9715.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-bfebfec54e904156aaacfa6a67305c91.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_5220.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-e1872d6e11fc45bd81bf7d93a4a9b08e.jpeg  

PetroNerd is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 22:43   #1023
BHPian

Mileage Concern With My Superb Sportline

Hi All - I had brought up this point of getting poor mileage on my Superb Sportline couple of months back.

I know its a function of driving/traffic/load/tyre pressure etc and I do remember that some of you had mentioned getting 10 to 12 km/L within city with moderate "pandemic state" traffic.

Wanted to add some additional points and seek your opinion:

1. Pre-Purchase : had done a mileage test with a demo car. Test run for 50 KM. Had got 12.3 km/L with a mix of 50% sedate drive + 50% aggressive driving.

2. Post purchase : With Regular 91 Octane Fuel, got 7.5 km/L for a tankful. Completely sedate driving; normal city traffic.

Switched to Speed 93 and post that, mileage has been approx 8.5 to 9 km/L within city; 10 km/L on highway [Mysore to Blore] with leisurely driving, never exceeding 110 km/hr

3. Have complained about the mileage difference between my car and the pre-purchase Demo Car to TAFE Access since March.

While TAFE has been extremely forthcoming and trying to extend all help, I am getting a sense that they have no clue why such a wide difference. One of their senior guys even suggested that Skoda recommends Octane 95 and without that, mileage will be low. However, no answer why Demo Vehicle gave 12.3 km/L for very similar conditions [of traffic/load/driving style etc].

They even did a 100 Km - Full Tank to Full Tank method of testing, suggesting that MID may be wrong. Interestingly, 50 km with city gave 9.6 km/L and 50 km on highway [again, speed below 120 km/hr, no agressive driving] gave 9.3 km/L. Cumulative by their method came to 9.2 KM/L.

4. In the meantime, they did arrange for another Demo car to do a mileage test. Demo car was using Regular Petrol [89-91 Octane]. And interestingly, for the run of 50 Km - half of it on Eco Mode [11.9 km/L and half on Drive Mode [12.3 km/l] - average came to 12 km/L. For Blore folks, that run was done on the ORR - so a mix of smooth flowing traffic with occasional metro construction related traffic slowdowns.

Now the question that I have for all of you:

Any clue why - for the same driving style and similar road conditions and load, I am getting 8 to 8.5 Km/L while Demo Car runs have been in the range of 12 to 12.5 km/L?

Appreciate your views PLUS any thoughts on mileage you are getting, when driving normally within the city?
Old 14th September 2021, 23:57   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post
Now the question that I have for all of you:

Any clue why - for the same driving style and similar road conditions and load, I am getting 8 to 8.5 Km/L while Demo Car runs have been in the range of 12 to 12.5 km/L?

Appreciate your views PLUS any thoughts on mileage you are getting, when driving normally within the city?
Request you to add few more details please. These may be trivial but might help further.

1) Is your car (Sportline) and demo car same variant? If not was the demo car running in ECO mode?
2) Both cars running on same stock tires?
2) Did you calculate via Tankful to Tankful in your car for mileage test?
3) Any changes or upgrades done in your car?
4) Is the run in period completed? How many kms has demo car run vs yours?

Point number 4 need not play much role here but just put the details out.

There could be a possibility that mid is not showing the right mileage. Experts can chime in.
Old 15th September 2021, 00:38   #1025
BHPian

Quote:

hey Shoubhik,
@CircleOfLife did make some valid points.

Here are my submissions:
- MY21 models have what's called an Active Cylinder Technology (ACT) - This, especially when in EcoMode for L&K, switches off 2 cylinders depending on the RPM levels and gear ratio for lower consumption. This improves the FE. It has been marketed well for the VW T-Roc.

- TAFE's demo car - they had the MY20 model until a couple of months back, which after selling it, they got a MY21 car in July or Aug if i'm not wrong.

- Would request to not go with the test drive using any car for that duration because, while the real-time mileage can only be an indicator, how was it previously driven before refill, what modes, throttle action, all come in to play in estimating FE.

- Have you tried resetting the drive memory? If not, would suggest that you give that a shot, and then do a run to see how it is performing.

- Within city, despite being a smooth drive, I notice that if the gear shift is more and the vehicle doesn't get to a higher gear (<5th gear), the FE would come down, which is typical for any car. Irrespective to how sedately we drive and even if the RPM is under 2000

- Superb's do have higher compression engines, so the recommended Octane level is good and helps with the right timing of the combustion. However, even if one does not put a 95 Octane fuel, it has sensors in the vehicle that would change the timing to adjust to the fuel octane / firing timings. - It has a crazy amount of sensors / control units. Was amazed to learn about it

- Sportsline, since it does not have the EcoMode where it would lower the power throughput, it might be best to do a comparison between the L&K Demo car in Drive mode and Sportsline in normal mode (I suppose the Demo car was an L&K?)

- Vehicles with ACT and ones without ACT would definitely see a slight variance from my understanding and in speaking with few fellow-nerds of mine.

Personally, I have seen it vary in my car from 12 kmpl in the city to 9 kmpl within the city under similar conditions.

Let's speak tomorrow and drive out during the weekend via Nice Road and see. Also, I can give you the number of a Sr. Technician as well if you would like to speak with him yourself.

Last edited by roadwarrior : 15th September 2021 at 00:52. Reason: Line spacing & Typo
roadwarrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 01:12   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

1) Is your car (Sportline) and demo car same variant? If not was the demo car running in ECO mode?
Yes, mine is Sportline, which has the normal "Drive" AND "Sports" mode via toggle of DSG. To ensure similar conditions, Demo Car was run on "Drive" mode - which is the same as the "Drive" mode of Sportline.

Quote:
2) Both cars running on same stock tires?
Yes

Quote:
2) Did you calculate via Tankful to Tankful in your car for mileage test
Have used that in the past on my car; it generally will vary at best by 0.5 km/L from MID and that was the case here too. MID showed 9.6 km/l post the 100 km drive of city + highway. Tankful to Tankful gave 9.2 km/L

Quote:
3) Any changes or upgrades done in your car?
None

Quote:
4) Is the run in period completed? How many kms has demo car run vs yours?
Yes, its got about 4K on Odo. Demo car was sub-1000 km.
SanjuInGgn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 01:41   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Here are my submissions:
- MY21 models have what's called an Active Cylinder Technology (ACT) - This, especially when in EcoMode for L&K, switches off 2 cylinders depending on the RPM levels and gear ratio for lower consumption. This improves the FE. It has been marketed well for the VW T-Roc.
Didnt realize the MY21 now comes with ACT. Knew it to be only for the EVO engines.

Also, as far as I know, the ACT doesn't help much within the city where you will rarely be able to coast for long.

Additionally, I drove in ECO mode and got 11.9 km/L; "Drive" mode, had got marginally more mileage interestingly. I think 12.3 km/L

Sure, lets speak sometime in the week and then maybe drive out together and check.
SanjuInGgn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 01:42   #1028
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought - how about putting on the cruise control @ 80kmph and note the instant economy. You can also try that at higher speeds if the road permits.

My Octavia 1.8TSI would consistently run between 18-21kmpl at this speed (depending on the AC cut off/ on).

While I can't think of an issue causing this on a new car, you can try the following:
1) Jack up and see wheels are free to rotate (i.e. bearings are good)

2) Use a thermal scanner to see the temperature of the brake disks after a drive to see any abnormal drag in any one of the wheels (or all wheels if you are able to compare with the demo car somehow!).

3) Doesn't hurt to get wheel alignment checked

4) There is normally a fuel consumption menu item which shows how much does AC consume per hour - does it show more in your car compared to the demo?
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:52   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Didnt realize the MY21 now comes with ACT. Knew it to be only for the EVO engines.
Only the 1.5TSI engine comes with ACT technology. Also there is no mention of ACT technology in Superb either on Google or Skoda website.

As per my experience. Superb's (have a sportline) mileage varies a lot even with slightest of changes in throttle inputs, traffic and driving style. If everything else fails, would suggest you to go on a slightly longer drive where you can put car on cruise control at about 90kmph. This should return the best mileage figures.
Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 19:51   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroNerd View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to Team Bhp, hence the late post. Until then, I was reading forums while in the process of buying this car and beyond. We bought a Skoda Superb L & K 1.8 TSI in 2019.
Congratulations on the new car. I love the Skoda Superb and currently considering it along with the Kushaq. Yes different segments but too long to explain. Wish you lots of safe kms and years with it. I love the brown interior but its not available with the Lava Blue and I wish they had provided that.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 21:53   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, 50 km with city gave 9.6 km/L and 50 km on highway [again, speed below 120 km/hr, no agressive driving] gave 9.3 km/L. Cumulative by their method came to 9.2 KM/L.
Being the owner of a 1.8TSI Octavia, I'd say your city mileage is standard at 8.5-9.2 km/lt. What is too low is the highway mileage. My 1.8 would easily give 14-15 km/lt at a steady 100-110.

You can try the following:
Change your petrol bunk and stick to regular or move to a few tankfuls of IOC XP95.
Blow out the air filter with compressed air in case it has become clogged (unlikely).
Inflate your tyres to the correct pressure and cross-check using your own gauge.
Ensure the DSG is shifting up to the 7th gear at higher speeds.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:00   #1032
BHPian

Quote:

Hi All - I had brought up this point of getting poor mileage on my Superb Sportline couple of months back.
I don't own a Superb or a TSi, but in general, the fuel efficiency of a brand new engine will always be on the lower side when compared to one that has completed run-in.
Old 16th September 2021, 16:42   #1033
BHPian

Quote:

The highway mileage for me is comfortably in the 14 kmpl+ range, so this does seem low. Bangalore, in city, mixed on ORR etc is between 7-11 kmpl.
Old 17th September 2021, 11:03   #1034

For me, while cruising at 119 (for the obvious reason) the MID shows a instantaneous mileage of 13 to 16 kmpl. Just put it on cruise and share your results. I guess it is the best way to figure out if there is a problem with your car or with your driving style.
Old 17th September 2021, 13:15   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Congratulations on the new car. I love the Skoda Superb and currently considering it along with the Kushaq. Yes different segments but too long to explain. Wish you lots of safe kms and years with it. I love the brown interior but its not available with the Lava Blue and I wish they had provided that.
Thank you so much. I was busy, sorry for the late reply.
Yes, the brown interior is too good. I think Skoda should replace the beige interior with a brown interior.
Kushaq, especially the 1.5 TSI evo DSG and Superb, are great cars you won't go wrong with.
PetroNerd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks