Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 11:19   #1171
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
My Confusion
Heart is still set on the Superb, but mind says get the Octavia, you are just driving with 2 people on board 95% of your time.
The prevalent wisdom used to be that if you'll be driving, get the Octavia (more fun) and if you'll be driven in, get the Superb (more comfortable). But two things have happened:

1. The 4th gen Octavia was launched at a huge premium to the 3rd gen bringing it closer to the Superb.
2. The 4th gen Octavia's suspension has been softened making it more comfortable than fun.

So this time, listen to your heart and the the better value for money car, the Superb. The next generation will definitely be priced much higher.
evil_grin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:37   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
If you don't mind, can you share the pricing details? You can DM them as well. TIA
Hi , my DMs are not active. I got around 2.2L discount on the Lnk Octavia bringing the on road price in Bangalore to 34.78L with drive assure. The best price i got for Superb Lnk was 43.8L on road with only white color available and other colors they gave a 3 month waiting period. 9L felt like significant step up in price so went ahead with the Octavia.

Since none of the dealers had any cars or had just couple of units they didn't have much incentive to cut a deal.

Thanks
faderifts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:39   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I am in a similar boat right now and I am unable to make a final call on this.

Octavia
  • Based on the newer MQB Evo platform
  • Carries the same powertrain and gearbox that many of its expensive siblings carry.
  • Better handler and best power to weight ratio
  • Cheapest of the Skoda premium lot
  • Worrisome unladen ground clearance at 135mm

Superb
  • Sheer class, space and looker
  • Compared to the A6s and 5 Series of the world
  • Based on the older MQB platform
  • Current generation is closed to be replaced in a year.
  • Bangalore OTR is expensive by 8L compared to its smaller L&K cousin
  • Worrisome laden ground clearance 90mm

Common Traits
Reliability issues, both mechanically and dealership wise. Is it worth spending big money on the VAG cars if I cant rely on them to serve me well for 8 years. I just read this recent post about someone Rapid gearbox going for a toss at 70K kilometers. We pay 1.5x what the rest of the world pays and we don't even get 10 year warranty like some countries do (thanks to our lazy policy makers)

My Confusion
Heart is still set on the Superb, but mind says get the Octavia, you are just driving with 2 people on board 95% of your time. For the price of a Superb, I can get the 4x2 AT Fortuner in Bangalore. But its pretty low on my priority list as I have been a sedan person all along. However the one thing I get with the Fortuner is 10 years piece of mind and the capability to go most places without breaking a sweat. The most common advice I have got from quiet a few experienced fellow BHPians is, if its just the 2 of you on-board for most times, buy the Octavia, save money or simply look at the 330i sport if you can stretch the budget.
Some have mentioned it: Go with your heart and buy the Superb. Let me answer some of your concerns and hope it makes things simpler for you:

1. If you were the type of person to go with your heart, You wouldn't have taken the pains to type this post. If you were the type to go with your head, you would have still typed the post because when you can shell 30 Lakhs, rationally, 8 Lakhs is a ~25% bump but one that you should be able to stretch and afford unless 30 itself was a stretch, wherein this entire discussion is pointless.

2. To look for what comes in the Superb's price bracket would make things very fuzzy for you as each offering is vastly different in capabilities and needs serviced and frankly, the on road price differences are as huge as the one bothering you between the Octavia and the Superb. E.g. the A4 will be ~10L more expensive, the Fortuner ~4L more expensive etc. So, the Superb mostly will still be cheaper.

3. Continuing on point 2, the Superb in a traditional way, is a 4 door Grand Tourer, same as an Octavia (GT not as in competitor to Bentley Flying Spurs but in capability: quick, very comfortable, good sound insulation and cabin acoustics and great space for people and luggage along with good handling and chassis characteristics). Fortuner 4x2 is not really a go anywhere vehicle like its 4x4 cousin, which loses out to the Hilux 4x4 in turn. The Fortuner 4X2 will serve you well in those roads where a Superb/ Octavia will not pass but don't need the 4x4 capabilities of its higher sibling. Now, if you want to spend 4L for this particular capability, you should, else you can ignore the Fortuner. The A4 is a glorified Octavia/ Jetta with a weaker engine mounted Longitudinally instead of Transversely, over and beyond the front axle, screwing up the handling and the extra weight reducing the performance. So you plonk 10L extra for an inferior car with better interiors and a Bose Music system for marginal gains in comfort and acoustics. The 330i will be a step up but it is also one in terms of budget. You get my drift... There are no real alternatives to get you confused. You should simply look at your consideration set for the pros and cons.

4. Coming to the Octavia v/s Superb, you have noted all the points yourself beautifully. If you are the average Indian family (no one taller than 5'8") the Octavia will provide all the leg room and more for everyone along with the head room and shoulder room. There will never be a "need" for space. It also has premium enough materials to keep everyone feeling good about sitting in the car. I have a Octavia Mark 3 with the facelift and we are just 2 people using it 95% of the time (same as you) and for the 5% of times, we are 4, we go for huge roadtrips (minimum 1200 kms) with the boot packed full (The boot is truly cavernous, if you need more space than this, you need an estate car). With the gross weight exceeding 1600 kg, the car is still sprightly and a joy to drive. I have never had anyone with body fatigue beyond the reasonable even on days we have covered more than 500km in one shot. The Superb will be the same with a bit more comfort and a lot more interior space with mildly reduced performance and inferior handling (owing to size and weight).

5. VW and Skoda are upping the game. VW anyway is a very reliable car maker. Transmission horror tales also boil down to poor driving habits which no one will own up to. Misusing any car will lead to mechanical failure and nothing can save one from it. I have been a very happy customer with Skoda and am quite satisfied with their service (we are a half and half VW (2014 Polo and 2018 Octavia) and Honda (2006 City and 2020 Civic) family and can't complain about either). I don't really see a reason why you should be apprehensive of the brand for its quality.

6. As I had mentioned earlier, we do mammoth trips with the Octy and the ground clearance rarely poses a challenge as even the road quality is improving vastly across the country. I have yet not come to a paved road/ dirt road which the Octy can't traverse over with 4 passengers, a boot full of luggage and a full tank.

I'll be waiting to see what you choose, do post a pic once the new member joins your family. Cheers!
Pixiegreat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:04   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faderifts View Post
Hi , my DMs are not active. I got around 2.2L discount on the Lnk Octavia bringing the on road price in Bangalore to 34.78L with drive assure.
This is the 2021 or 2022 model? That's a pretty good deal.
Old 8th February 2022, 21:10   #1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
This is the 2021 or 2022 model? That's a pretty good deal.
It’s the 2022 model.
Old 8th February 2022, 21:56   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faderifts View Post
It’s the 2022 model.
You mean MY22 with 2021 VIN ? What I understand is 2022 VIN is still a few weeks out for both Superb and Octavia.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 00:49   #1177
BHPian

New deliveries with 2022 VIN have started. On the deal part it’s a valid question whether discount is for a new factory dispatch in 2022 or dealer is offering on a unit from 2021 stock. Off late Octavia is getting good discounts even in cities like Bangalore where they have been usually stingy in past.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th February 2022 at 23:15. Reason: Minor typos
Old 9th February 2022, 22:06   #1178

It's obvious to be confused between the Octavia and Superb. Both have the same engine and gearbox, but the driving dynamics are very different. We were in the same boat about 6 months back, but took the plunge towards the Superb.
Space wise Octavia seemed a little cramped compared to the old gen as well. But what pushed me towards the Superb was the much more premium feel and a plush ride.
Just did a long trip in the vehicle (2600 kms). It was just too good and ground clearance actually surprised me.
The price difference is a lot and if above factors are not that important, go for the Octavia.

As for the service and reliability issues, the SMP and EW packages ensure a trouble free experience up to 6 years at least. Also the recent appointment of "professional" dealers inspires confidence in the brand!!

All the best with the selection. Do reach out for any questions!!!
anujsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 14:59   #1179
BHPian

Went to some Skoda showrooms today in NCR to look for some good deals on superb but sadly no dealer is budging much (citing low inventory) and one of them was saying we do not give any discounts on these types of cars (superb,kodiaq etc) besides some loyalty discount

Does anyone in NCR region got any good deals recently? If yes then please do share details.

Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:21   #1180
BHPian

Finally got a call back from Skoda Pune as a follow up for an enquiry i made in late December 2021 for the Superb L and K. The dealer had mentioned then that the MY2022 will get new features inside along with a 1-1.5 lakh price hike and that deliveries will only begin in March.

When is this new face-lift being launched? One of the new rumoured features was a driver seat massager. Is there any launch scheduled? What are the updated Ex Showroom prices?

Asking only for my information and curiosity....we already booked another car and got it delivered. And the Superb was a strong contender. Their lax approach definitely may have lost them a sale.
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:39   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
Finally got a call back from Skoda Pune as a follow up for an enquiry i made in late December 2021 for the Superb L and K. The dealer had mentioned then that the MY2022 will get new features inside along with a 1-1.5 lakh price hike and that deliveries will only begin in March.

When is this new face-lift being launched? One of the new rumoured features was a driver seat massager. Is there any launch scheduled? What are the updated Ex Showroom prices?

Asking only for my information and curiosity....we already booked another car and got it delivered. And the Superb was a strong contender. Their lax approach definitely may have lost them a sale.
Hey, so just last week i went to check out and get quotes from various dealers and MY22 already got a price hike of 85000 and l&k is retailing at 35.85L.
Yes there is a new feature of seat massage but only available in white with cognac leather combo.

No new launch just MY22 update and that only in white color L&K as of now.

Congratulations on your A4 mate. I am also looking for great deals on a4 but in NCR they are unwilling to offer much of a deal.

Hope this helps.
petrolhead777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 18:16   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post

:
Skoda has messed everything up. Firstly the Superb production is at an all time low. Reason sighted: Chip Shortage. Now my argument is that if there is a chip shortage, why are you launching new cars without the proper chips and spares ?

Even an email to Zac cannot guarantee that your booking for a new car can be resolved or a proper concrete answer can be given to you because even he gives incomplete answers. He keeps saying there is a severe chip shortage.

The Superb ex fac was raised by 80k due to seat massager on the driver seat but that feature is limited to the cognac interior white exterior only, as no other exterior colour gets that cognac interior so its a total hogwash rip off. Also if you go to buy a Superb right now, they will give you 0 discount and no clarity on the delivery so I think personally you may have made the best decision to buy another car without waiting for the Superb.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 19:24   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Also if you go to buy a Superb right now, they will give you 0 discount and no clarity on the delivery so I think personally you may have made the best decision to buy another car without waiting for the Superb.
They were ready to give a meagre 50K discount but would commit to delivery within a week if I booked it last week as he showed me his factory dispatch information which had 5-6 superbs allotted to them with only two were booked and rest were open to be booked.

Though they did mention chip shortage will enable them to not give any significant discount as they are not trying to push any superb as of now and Kodiaq is all sold out for the year.
Old 21st February 2022, 13:13   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead777 View Post
They were ready to give a meagre 50K discount.
The dealer tried to pull a fast one on me by telling me he is offering 2.5 lacs discount. I asked for the official price list and found the insurance at 2.2 lacs which is absurd as a 55 lac car IDV has insurance at 1.05 lacs, so I conveniently told him that either I would do it from outside or that he slash his insurance down to 80-85 which I think is what it should be. That would mean a saving of 1.7 lacs and then they added the AMEX card discount which is 55k so overall there was no discount from them, I politely declined, because if he wants to give a 2 lac discount then it would be over and above these deductions.

They have supply but it’s not over supplied like before, the priority is India 2.0 for them now so Kushaq and Slavia is a priority, and Kodiaq and Superb are not. You can get 1 lac off on the Octavia but I would prefer the Superb for the rear space.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd March 2022 at 22:09. Reason: Typos fixed.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:20   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
They have supply but it’s not over supplied like before, the priority is India 2.0 for them now so Kushaq and Slavia is a priority, and Kodiaq and Superb are not. You can get 1 lac off on the Octavia but I would prefer the Superb for the rear space.
Will have to wait for festive season, supply issues might ease by then otherwise have to go with minimal discounts, anyway every year they are increasing by around 1 lakh, so no point waiting beyond this year.

Do let me know if anything changes in between .

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd March 2022 at 22:08. Reason: Quote edited. Trimmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks