Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 01:53   #1201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Can someone help me with is the mechanical difference between the suspension and brake setup in Superb vs Octavia. The brochure reads the following, but I am not sure how this translates to real world superiority.

Suspension Superb
Front Suspension : McPherson suspension with lower triangular links and torsion stabiliser
Rear Suspension : Multi-element axle, with one longitudinal and transverse links, with torsion stabiliser

Suspension Octavia
Front Suspension : MacPherson suspension
Rear Suspension : Multilink suspension, one longitudinal and three transverse arms

Brakes Superb
Braking System : Braking system Hydraulic dual-diagonal circuit braking system vacuum assisted with Dual Rate system
Brakes Front : Disc brakes with inner cooling, with single/piston floating caliper
Brakes Rear : Disc

Brakes Octavia
Braking System : Hydraulic dual-diagonal circuit braking system
Brakes Front : Disc
Brakes Rear : Disc
Practically speaking, these spec sheets mean the same. There's negligible to no difference in the way these two cars are setup. I will try and give my opinion why:

- Front suspension of the Superb says McPherson strut with lower triangular links and torsion stabiliser. Lower triangular links means lower control arms and torsion stabiliser implies anti roll bar. Every McPherson strut suspension setup these days from the cheapest of cars has both these components.

They are fundamental to this setup. So the Octavia (having the McPherson strut suspension) will surely have them. No chance anything is absent from it.

- The rear suspension is the same type for the Superb and Octavia again. Just that the Superb brochure doesn't specify the number of transverse control arms (there's 3 of them) which is the same as the Octavia.

Again, torsion stabiliser implies the anti roll bar and I am quite sure the Octavia also has a rear anti roll bar. There's no way they can simply bin it. It's critical to the functioning of the rear multilink setup and arrests excess wheel articulation.

- Coming to the brakes, it's again word play largely. Things like ventilated front discs and dual diagonal braking setup with vaccum assist are common across almost all mass market cars. There's absolutely no difference there too.

In short, the type of suspension setup and braking setups are the same. The difference lies in the tuning; damper and spring rates, height, etc. And of course, the final product of all this, which is the handling and braking characteristics we perceive, are also a result of the overall length and weight distribution.

Don't go by on paper specs. It's all fancy word play. Test drive both back to back and you will have a very good idea of how they stack up against each other.
vishy76 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 13:16   #1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumanPal View Post
A question - which SKODA workshop in Bangalore charged you for diagnosis of the EPC light?
This was the Raja Skoda Service Centre in Whitefield.
Old 11th March 2022, 21:54   #1203
BHPian

Hi guys,

Probably Booking a L&K Blue this weekend. I've been trying to find pictures of the Dark Brown interiors to no avail and have heard mixed things about it. Does anyone have personal experience and can provide photographs? Would help immensely.

Thanks!!
Old 11th March 2022, 22:21   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi guys,

Probably Booking a L&K Blue this weekend. I've been trying to find pictures of the Dark Brown interiors to no avail and have heard mixed things about it. Does anyone have personal experience and can provide photographs? Would help immensely.

Thanks!!
Brown interiors are still available?

Hey do share if you got any good deal?
petrolhead777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 02:28   #1205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!!
Hey,

Mind sharing if you are getting any discounts and what is the final on road price coming to, please PM if you are not keen to share in public forum.

Regarding brown interior, check this video, it's not great quality, but should give you a fair idea.

AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 07:30   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead777 View Post
Brown interiors are still available?

Hey do share if you got any good deal?
They are available according to the brochure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Hey,

Mind sharing if you are getting any discounts and what is the final on road price coming to, please PM if you are not keen to share in public forum.

Regarding brown interior, check this video, it's not great quality, but should give you a fair idea.

https://Youtu.be/6Hl6_9w65qU
I don't mind sharing any deal details. Sadly the car has a 2-3 month waiting period and they aren't offering any deals. Octavia does carry some discounts though.

The dealer has offered to work out something on the insurance, but their basi pricing is grotesquely inflated. My agents are reasonable with their prices and offer incredible service. I'll likely go with them.

Once everything is finalised, I'll get back to you with the final price that I'll end up paying, provided there are no hikes before delivery. Word to the wise though, OTR prices for the Superb and Octavia are insane. I would recommend anyone to highly consider a 3 series/3LWB

I really wish I could get L&K features in Sportline aesthetics. That's what I'd pick. Heck Skoda shouldn't even offer the Sportline. Offer a L&K executive and a L&K Sports variant at the same price and be done with it.

Thanks for the video, will check it out, but I really need to get an understanding of how it looks in real life.

Last edited by imp! : 12th March 2022 at 07:33.
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 07:42   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
OTR prices for the Superb and Octavia are insane. I would recommend anyone who doesn't particularly need th back space or boot to buy a 3 series/3LWB
Here in NCR there is a diff of 12L (39L for superb and 51L for the beemer)on the road between L&K and 330i sport. Also there is no 330i sport available for the foreseeable future according to the dealer.

I think Bangalore road taxes are insane too as compared to some other states
petrolhead777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 10:31   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead777 View Post
Here in NCR there is a diff of 12L (39L for superb and 51L for the beemer)on the road between L&K and 330i sport. Also there is no 330i sport available for the foreseeable future according to the dealer.

I think Bangalore road taxes are insane too as compared to some other states
Yes, the Superb is 45 here while the 3 series is usually in the 60+/- bracket for the 4 cylinder offerings, depending on the time of year and variant. To be completely frank, I see no value in the Superb over a gently used or new 3/5 Series.

As far as 330i MSport stock is concerned, don't worry, it is going to come and is likely just around the corner. The typical first quarter tactics are for dealer stock on hand to be eliminated for Indian financial year before new stock is released. It'll probably become available in April, or latest by May. You will usually see that the first two quarters of the financial year have the most stock and lowest discounts as a lot of business owners buy then for depreciation benefits. In their minds, it essentially pays for the first year of ownership.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 10:39   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
I see no value in the Superb over a gently used or new 3/5 Series.

As far as 330i MSport stock is concerned, don't worry, it is going to come and is likely just around the corner. The typical first quarter tactics are for dealer stock on hand to be eliminated for Indian financial year before new stock is released. It'll probably become available in April, or latest by May.
Yes, but used car market is absurd right now.
No good examples are available at a reasonable price.

I am talking about the sport variant and not the M sport which is still available as far as i know.

Superb seems to be the most VFM in the current market scenario as there are not much options in this segment now

I have a soft corner for the 3 by the way
petrolhead777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:59   #1210
BHPian

I was browsing through the options in virtual cockpit and found out one weird thing related to convenience consumers, from what I understand it shows how much fuel is consumed per hour. But it also shows front fog lights in conv. consumers. Curious to know how does fog lights contribute to fuel consumption.
Skoda Superb : Official Review-cfabc86d9df14092b0fc68b8e9f8175e.jpeg
parekhakshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 00:13   #1211
BHPian

Hey Guys.

My 5 year old Duster AWD has clocked over 96K and I am on the lookout for replacement options.
The Superb L&K ticks all the boxes for me. However, I am new to the VAG family and not sure about the maintenance cost post the 50k mark on the ODO. My annual running will be around 18 to 22K and I plan to keep the car for atleast 8 years.

Barring a couple of minor failures / breakdowns here and there, will the Superb manage to run mostly trouble free for atleast 2 lakh km? Owners please share your views.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th March 2022, 09:38   #1212
Senior - BHPian

2 lakh km is a bit ambitious to ask from a german, don't you think ??
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 10:43   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Hey Guys.

My 5 year old Duster AWD has clocked over 96K and I am on the lookout for replacement options.
The Superb L&K ticks all the boxes for me. However, I am new to the VAG family and not sure about the maintenance cost post the 50k mark on the ODO. My annual running will be around 18 to 22K and I plan to keep the car for atleast 8 years.

Barring a couple of minor failures / breakdowns here and there, will the Superb manage to run mostly trouble free for atleast 2 lakh km? Owners please share your views.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Absolutely not. Most German diesels are very reliable and can easily last 3-4L km with the right care. There's a Jetta on this very forum which did 3.75L km without an engine Overhaul. I know another Passat B7 DSG done 2.6L km on stock internals without needing as much as a clutch pack change. The core internals of this engine are bulletproof. I would advise the OP to get a used Superb TDI.

If the cost of running repairs and the odd electronic gremlins is something you can stomach, I see no reason why a Superb can't last 2L km and beyond. The 2.0 TDI is a proper workhorse. Just change the oil on time and tend to the water pump if and when it fails and you should be good.

The TSI on the other hand is not bad either. I am quite sure it will also do 2-2.5L km easily, but it's just that the overall reliability of German diesels is far better. For the sort of running you are looking at, it's best to get a used TDI.

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th March 2022 at 10:45.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 11:11   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Quite ambitious indeed. But the market situation is definitely not allowing a quicker replacement. So I will have to hold on to the car for quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The 2.0 TDI is a proper workhorse.
Thank you. That is a good idea indeed. Didn't think of it. Will have to hunt for a good example though.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th March 2022 at 11:17. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) instead of typing one post after another on the same page. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2022, 11:44   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekhakshar View Post
Curious to know how does fog lights contribute to fuel consumption.
Attachment 2284609
Well, fogs require energy as well to run. And in an automobile, energy comes from fuel. Simple.
firstguri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks