Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 12:00   #3466
SGK
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Crysta's Gearbox is not tuned properly and unlocks even when the throttle is slightly pressed especially in higher gears which causes economy to go down, the only workaround i found is to use S6 mode and not eco but normal mode in this mode the torque converter stays locked more than D mode and it does not downshift until 1.1k rpm. The result on my 2.8Z is an unbelievable 22kmpl on my recent trip to Vellore with a full car and mixed to heavy traffic and with ac on 100%. Did the round trip of over 500km in 10 hours and the fuel tank needle is just touching half mark.
Hi Jay, Sorry for dumb question. Can you let me know how to use S6 mode? I have tried S mode few times in the past, but my understanding is like we need to shift up/down depends on the requirement and it is more of manual work.
SGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 12:32   #3467
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Does S6 really prevent downshift? I thought that the S mode will just keep the selected gear as the highest gear with TC lockup while it will downshift as usual and unlock torque converter below the selected gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
Hi Jay, Sorry for dumb question. Can you let me know how to use S6 mode?

Crysta uses AI shift in normal D mode which is supposed to learn and adapt to driving style instead of shifting at fixed programmed shift points like a normal AT but i dont know if its the optimization or the unpredictable traffic which causes it to just rev too much at times, but in S mode AI is disabled and it behaves like a normal AT.

Coming to S6 mode just shift to S mode and push the gear front 2 times to go to S6 from S4. S6 is basically D mode without the AI.

In this mode it doesnt unlock or downshift until it starts near to lugging so we are actually using more of the torque if driven with a light foot especially when going slightly uphill or climbing a flvover itll continue same gear unless its too steep or if throttle is pressed more than usual, this is not the case with D mode which will unlock the TC and make the car rev too much which wastes fuel and causes excessive heat ( ive seen torque converter reaching almost 100c just when overtaking on a long flvover for a few seconds when its unlocked and same scenario its 75c with locked in S6 mode)

Same goes with eco mode apart from extremely short drives i have always had better fuel economy on normal mode than in eco for example my normal drive in city traffic with similar traffic pattern i get 8.5 to 9 in eco and 10.5 to 11.2 in normal. i only use eco when in stop and go traffic cause its smoother.
jav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 12:41   #3468
SGK
BHPian

Quote:
Crysta uses AI shift in normal D mode which is supposed to learn and adapt to driving style instead of shifting at fixed slightly uphill or climbing a flvover
Wow, thanks for input Jav . Never knew this and will try in the upcoming drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th February 2023 at 10:54. Reason: Fixed the broken quote.
Old 27th February 2023, 13:07   #3469
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
Wow, thanks for input Jay. Never knew this and will try in the upcoming drive.
Thats great, do try all different modes and see which combo gives you the best efficiency and let us know after your trip which one worked best for you
Have a Safe Drive.
Old 27th February 2023, 14:29   #3470
BANNED

Quote:
Does S6 really prevent downshift? I thought that the S mode will just keep the selected gear as the highest gear with TC lockup while it will downshift as usual and unlock torque converter below the selected gear.
I don't know why my post was quoted there since I was not part of the S mode discussion. I don't use S mode unless I need to shift manually on a ghat type road. I leave it in D always.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:49   #3471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't know why my post was quoted there since I was not part of the S mode discussion. I don't use S mode unless I need to shift manually on a ghat type road. I leave it in D always.
I quoted your post not as a part of the question regarding S, but just wanted to know your thoughts on this torque converter downshift strategy in S mode. I havent found any difference in S mode so far in terms of the downshifting behaviour.
Old 28th February 2023, 11:00   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I quoted your post not as a part of the question regarding S, but just wanted to know your thoughts on this torque converter downshift strategy in S mode. I havent found any difference in S mode so far in terms of the downshifting behaviour.
Same here. S6 and D feels just the same for me as well. And i do have the 2.8 L BS4 diesel automatic.

The only time, i use S is when i am coasting down a hill or a basement parking road to get engine braking.

Last edited by amalji : 28th February 2023 at 11:09.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:04   #3473
jav
BHPian

Quote:
I I havent found any difference in S mode so far in terms of the downshifting behaviour.
Our new Legender transmission is tuned way better and behaves same in D or S so i am guessing they have updated it and i think even the 2.4 is getting updated S/W than the older 2.8's thats why you are not finding any difference, but on the crysta 2.8 its very much noticeable especially in the 5th and 6th gear, i tried asking the service center to check for updates but even after service the behaviour is same so i guess there is no update for the 2.8 crysta

Last edited by jav : 28th February 2023 at 11:09.
Old 5th March 2023, 09:40   #3474
BHPian

I have a March 2022 Crysta AT Diesel. It's done about 23000kms in a year. During the year, it had to be taken to the service center 4 times, besides the regular service, due to DPF issues causing check engine light to come on. While the car is running, within 10 kms the DPF filter starts getting blocked and pressing the button does not start the cleaning process. Once blocked, the check engine light comes on and the car starts stalling.

Yesterday, I went and met the service center head. He confirmed that many vehicles are facing this issue and it requires for all 4 injectors to be replaced. It seems Toyota has launched some modified injectors but as there are so many cars needing this, there is a shortage. They have promised to get mine done within a week or 10 days. The car needs to be in the service center for 3 days for the job.

My questions to all:
1. Has anyone else faced similar issues
2. Has anyone got the fuel injectors replaced? Does it require downing the engine?
slylenser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:48   #3475
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the 30k service done near my house at Nandi Toyota EMS KR Road. Had specifically booked an EMS60 and was asked to come in at 9AM exactly. Little unexpected from Toyota disciplines, work started only by 930 AM with job card preparation. I initially mentioned just do PMS30 and leave the rest to me. However the SA came with an estimate of 15k plus taxes. Then I saw the following things:
1. Engine flush - 1200
2. Injector cleaner - 1300
3. AC disinfectant - 1200

I raised my eyebrow while he started his usual story of Toyota recommendation etc. Then I asked him why isn't it a part of service cost estimation in the app and he was caught pants down. After this all he asked was how much was it showing in the app and complied with that figure One thing that was recommended but somehow missed was AC filter replacement which was another 2K rupees

The service experience after the initial context setting with SA was pretty smooth. Car got serviced in the EMS60 bay and I sat next to it in the customer lounge just separated by a glass. Things like brake cleaning was very elaborate and systematic. I had asked for brake pads to be replaced but looks like there is a bit left so would get it checked after 5k kms.

Brake pad @ 9k kms - 9mm, 19k kms - 6mm, 28k kms -4mm. Around 2.5mm every 10k kms. So going by this it should last 10k kms more before it reaches 1.5mm. But I'm not willing to go till the very end. Hence will get it replaced at 35k kms.

Final bill was 10.1k which is inline with the service cost estimator. Honestly the car doesn't feel much different now except for a slight increase in engine smoothness. The other complaint was that the windshield washer nozzles were not spraying water properly and I instructed them to replace. However after the initial dose given to SA he got the boys to clean it in detail and it somehow works now.

Attaching a list of the service items:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-c045d6a610f54cf1b539c9ce4fe1b1fe.jpeg

Last edited by audioholic : 5th March 2023 at 10:50.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 12:55   #3476
BHPian

Quote:
Got the 30k service done near my house at Nandi Toyota EMS KR Road. Had specifically booked an EMS60 and was asked to come in at 9AM exactly. Little unexpected from Toyota disciplines, work started only by 930 AM with job card preparation. I initially mentioned just do PMS30 and leave the rest to me. However the SA came with an estimate of 15k plus taxes. Then I saw the following things:
1. Engine flush - 1200
2. Injector cleaner - 1300
3. AC disinfectant - 1200

I raised my eyebrow while he started his usual story of Toyota recommendation etc. Then I asked him why isn't it a part of service cost estimation in the app and he was caught pants down. After this all he asked was how much was it showing in the app and complied with that figure One thing that was recommended but somehow missed was AC filter replacement which was another 2K rupees
This is a regular practice in all TOYOTA dealership irrespective of the city i guess. Even here in Lanson Toyota the SA just adds

Gloss Mech Care
Gloss odor Neutralizer & Disinfectant
Toyota Genuine Bactaklenz

without even checking with customers. When questioned they mention its part of Toyota recommendation.
Old 5th March 2023, 17:50   #3477
BANNED

Replaced my aging replica TRD shift knob with a japan made genuine TRD shift knob. The OE and replica TRD knobs had a plasti-chrome garnish on the bottom, TRD knob has a satin finished aluminium garnish which imo goes well with the the silver accent panels on my GX's dash/console. Why TRD instead of GR? :-)
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20230305_144356.jpg

Changing it is as simple as unscrewing and screwing

Also affixed a caution sticker on the jack cover. This was more of a necessity rather than a want. The decal is a bit larger than I expected but its alright as it fits the intended location (PS: The decal is an OE reproduction). The view won't be obstructed since there is no headrest to place there as I got the 3rd row middle headrest holes closed when the seats were done.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20230305_111741.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 5th March 2023 at 17:52.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:57   #3478
BHPian

Hello guys! I am looking to upgrade the lights on my 2.8GX variant Crysta. I don't intend on changing any of the wiring, I'd just really like brighter lights that would fit into the existing reflector housing without being overbearing on the battery. Do you guys have any recommendations for lights that I could get? It would be super helpful!

I am based off of Chennai, do you guys know any places that would do this well and professionally? I usually go to Autodrome on GP Road, but I'd love any new recommendations as well!
Old 15th March 2023, 12:32   #3479
BHPian

Hi All,

We own a 2016 ZX AT Crysta. It has only rear parking sensors as standard. Since the car is now being passed on to one of our older relatives, I wanted to know if its possible to retrofit 2022's front and rear corner sensors? There are aftermarket alternatives, but OEM integrated display in the MID looks better.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th March 2023, 13:23   #3480
BHPian

Quote:
Crysta uses AI shift in normal D mode which is supposed to learn and adapt to driving style instead of shifting at fixed programmed shift points like a normal AT but i dont know if its the optimization or the unpredictable traffic which causes it to just rev too much at times, but in S mode AI is disabled and it behaves like a normal AT.

Coming to S6 mode just shift to S mode and push the gear front 2 times to go to S6 from S4. S6 is basically D mode without the AI.

In this mode it doesnt unlock or downshift until it starts near to lugging so we are actually using more of the torque if driven with a light foot especially when going slightly uphill or climbing a flvover itll continue same gear unless its too steep or if throttle is pressed more than usual, this is not the case with D mode which will unlock the TC and make the car rev too much which wastes fuel and causes excessive heat ( ive seen torque converter reaching almost 100c just when overtaking on a long flvover for a few seconds when its unlocked and same scenario its 75c with locked in S6 mode)

Same goes with eco mode apart from extremely short drives i have always had better fuel economy on normal mode than in eco for example my normal drive in city traffic with similar traffic pattern i get 8.5 to 9 in eco and 10.5 to 11.2 in normal. i only use eco when in stop and go traffic cause its smoother.
Nice observation! But is there any technical evidence for this? Since I couldn't find any information regarding this in the owner's manual. Please don't get me wrong, I totally agree with your observation but just wondered if there was any official information on this. The only thing I've heard regarding this is Sequential shift which Toyota advertised.

Also, what would the difference between S4 and S6? As far as I know the S mode is there for manual shifting of gears if required. If we keep running the car in S6 all the time (At all speeds) wouldn't it have a negative impact on the gearbox? Thanks
Dr.Car is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed